View Full Version : Your top five favorite units, and why?
26th Jan 09, 12:12 PM
Rate your top 5 favorite units. Based off on Looks, Gameplay, Sounds/ Voice, and any other reasons you can think off.
#1. Ork Kommando Nob - He looks and sounds awesome, and he is just so much fun to use and can be useful in many situations. I find him invaluable to assassinate commanders, destroy bunched up groups of infantry with explosives, or sneak up behind heavy weapon crews and obliterate them.
#2 Guardians - They used to be one of the most worthless units in DoW, and nothing to flavorful about them. Now they are one of my top favorite units. They have some awesome looking abilities, and they're effective to boot. I loved to build defenses in CoH, and since this is the only unit that can do so in DoW II I love them (energy shield is awesome). Love to use these guys a lot.
#3 Support Platforms - Their weapon effects look awesome, and the devastation they bring to the battlefield is undeniable. Am I the only one who can't get "A slight adjustment" out of their heads?
#4 Warlock - He's probably the most entertaining unit to watch in action. Leaping around the battlefield cutting enemies up, shocking them with psychic beams, and doing with deadly ease & precision just makes him too awesome not to use.
#5 Tankbustaz - These guys really embody the destructive & chaotic nature of the Orks. Raining down showers of boom on anything and everything is amazing.
I had some very tough choices. Tactical Space Marines are a close tie with some of my choices, but I picked my units mainly for entertainment value. Needless to say I really enjoy every unit in DoW II, which is saying a lot because I never enjoy every RTS unit in other games.
26th Jan 09, 12:18 PM
1. apothecary - his ability to keep your units fighting and saving you massive req is probably imba.
2. plasma dev squad - These guys can rape any attempt at digging you out from a defended line. add in that fact that an apoth or techmarine can almost double thier damage. RAPE!
3. Tactical marines - while i used to hate these guys. I find them damn versitile when i really need them. They arent anything special alone, but when supported by an apoth or tech marine, they can deal massive damage.
4. Dreadnaught - The autocannon is so freaking fun to use. And i love his voice.
5. Any terminator - Apoth with aoe healing and terminators can handle anything.
Entertainment value. every single ork unit. DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA.
26th Jan 09, 12:21 PM
1. Nobs. Hilarious and deadly against EVERYTHING.
2. Wraithlord. Easily the best walker when you consider his upgrades (not counting the assault cannon shot ability the SM dread gets, which appears to be doing too much damage to non-infantry).
3. ASMs. Gratuitously overpowered, Space Marine tough, 4-man melee jumpers with AT abilities. Yes please.
4. Warriors. Versatile and powerful, and they shape the tactics of your army. I think Relic did a GREAT job with these.
5. If we can do heroes, Apothecary. So. Damn. Useful. With the chainsword upgrade, he's a melee machine. Add in the ability to spend Zeal to rez his ass if he dies, and he's a BEAST.
5, if we can't do heroes: Sluggas. Cheap, weak basic units, until you activate WAAAGH! with 3 squads in the radius. Then they're murderers. I'd say Stikkbommas, but they cost power-- so for me, Sluggas get the slight edge (plus they get burnas and a Nob, making them dead killy against heavy weapons).
26th Jan 09, 12:27 PM
Hmm hard choices.
#1. Howling Banshees - I usually play these in support with Guardians, using FoF to flank them and cut them up into neat little pieces, fantastic melee unit and well worth the cost.
#2. Assault Marines - Again, fantastic troops think they are brilliant in all ways, even if I do think they are a bit OP haha.
#3. Guardians - I think they are a brilliant unit now, always used in concert with my other units, finally an effective force that can run circles around the units when used effectively.
#4. Wraithlord - Just the embodiment of destruction and I don't think I need to say anymore. All round just lethal.
#5. Falcon - Mainly for it's reinforce ability but it can also lay down some decent fire, the only downside is it's weakness to melee and AT obviously but that's where supporting your units comes into play.
I know Eldar bias, but I think they are a fantastic race nowadays. :D
26th Jan 09, 1:50 PM
In no particular order
1. Carnifex: I just love the big lummox. A large, dumb, heavily armored killing machine. It's hard not to find this bad boy intimidating.
2. Heavy Bolter Squad: I've always been a bit of a turtler and these guys really allow me some semblance of that playstyle despite the more offensive focus of DoWII.
3. Wraithlords: On top of the brilliant aesthetics of these units I find them to be very versatile no matter what upgrades you equip them with.
4. Shoota Boyz: Though they lack the accuracy of the Eldar or the Space Marines I never tire of the sight of a dozen shoota boyz going full auto especially if equipped with big shootas. They look, sound, and behave exactly as I imagine an ork squad would.
5. Ripper Swarms: Nimble little ankle biters. Combining these guys with a unit of Warriors really makes hell for weapon crews. Also their quickness is extremely useful early game when you try to cap as many points as possible as well as late game in victory point matches that you may be losing. Sending a couple waves of the little nippers to the various VPs while your opponent is concentrating on your larger force can sometimes help pull you back from a loss in my experience.
26th Jan 09, 2:07 PM
1. Predators: They're AWESOME if you use them right. You just gotta make sure you're not barrelling them into enemy fire. If you play it safe and keep them at maximum range, they devastate enemy armies easily.
2. Tactical Marines: These guys piss on anything, especially with upgrades. Even vanilla, they stomp over general infantry. Upgraded with flamers, they're just mean. If you upgrade them with missile launchers, they're perfect against walker spam because they deal so much damage. Plus, Space Marines are awesome.
3. Scouts: Shotguns + infiltration = win. If you keep these guys infiltrated, they're good enough to take out commanders because of their knockback. They're also great at sneaking up on heavy weapon squads.
4. Carnifex: He eats tanks for breakfast, infantry for lunch, and both for supper. Yum.
5. Howling Banshees/Warriors: They're the only infantry short of a terminator that can take on a walker unit in melee and win. You don't get much studlier than that.
1. Warlock - Clearly the most AWESOME commander ever. Warp Throw is totally invaluable and perfect for ruining any attack your opponent can throw at you.
2. Guardians - Just all round brilliant units.
3. Wraithlords - Cool as hell, great for humping enemy vehicles once upgraded with brightlance.
4. Warp Spiders - Were my favourite unit from DoW1, great to warp around the battlefield making them invaluable for any co-ordinated attack. Great for cutting off enemy retreats.
5. Howling Banshees - Great all rounders, good against tanks once upgraded. Beasts.
I'm an eldar player, can't you tell :P
26th Jan 09, 3:09 PM
1. Apothecary. I've never been much of a 'let's take this hammer and break faces' fan. 'Cept when I had Nobz in DoW. I like the support role the apothecary has, not to mention the look of the model and upgrades. Quite versatile, I was surprised at his tanking ability.
2. Heavy Bolter Devastators. I just love the look of them, the weapon, the nice sound to the shots and their use. I don't really like the Plasma variant, they fail me too much =\
3. ASM. Love chainswords, and am actually glad to see shuriken platforms when I have them on hand =p
4. Scouts. Mainly for micro practice, but also like the infiltration to increase the range of my/my team mate's heavy weapons.
Can't think of much else that I like so much.
I am very amused that people like Guardian squads though. They just seem too..fragile and tiny on screen. But I respect differences.
26th Jan 09, 3:20 PM
1. devastator squad
why?: great defensive capabilities early on in the game, awesome infantry shredder, i just love the ww2 mg42 flair :)
why?: awesome melee stats, can be equipped to become a mobile supression unit, if put out early enough it can become a gamebreaker
why?: affordable price, shotguns and infiltration make them a very good anti-heavyweapon unit
4. assault marines
why?: BECAUSE THEY CAN FRIGGIN JUMP! oh and meltabombs are sooo good!
why?: the ability to construct turrets just opens up so many tactical abilities for the rest of your team, especially early on in the game when all you have to deal with is enemy infantry!
26th Jan 09, 3:31 PM
In no particular order..
1) Scouts. As mentioned in a previous post, shotguns and infiltration = win :) Great for taking out those pesky Eldar grav plarforms ;)
2) Techmarine - Awesome support hero. He gets some really good wargear, and his deployable reinforcement point has one me a fair share of games since I didn't have to retreat all the way back to my base on Siccarius (sp?) Plateau.
3) Tactical Marines - There are a lot of threads about hoe people think there are too few marines in the squad and such, but I love them just as they are. Great jack-of-all-trades squad that can always dish out some hurt.
4) Venerable Dreadnought - Nothing is as scary as a dreadnought using charge to run through your entire army, only to use the Emperor's Fist ability a few moments afterwards.
5) Predator - As also mentioned before, if you keep him back and let him pound away at range, he deals tremendous damage to everything.
26th Jan 09, 3:41 PM
Termagaunts add #2 - Hilarious.
Warriors with venom cannon, and see #1 good against anything.
Teleporter Relay best commander ability in team games.
Plasma Dev squads - can make a VP completely uncappable, which is pretty much amazing.
Stikkbombas - awesome disruption with grenades or melee.
26th Jan 09, 5:55 PM
Number 1: Tyranid Warriors. Synapse, incredible melee, instant surpression/great ranged anti-everything/incredible melee AV (choose one), durable and leap in melee (adds to the cool factor). What's not to like?
Number 2: Lictor Alpha. Two words - Flesh Hooks. Becomes a beast in melee against large squads with Feeding Tendrils and can jump at those damn HWT's.
Number 3: Carnifex. Just pure awesome, both Venom Cannon and Thornback are great upgrades, ruthless, bloody sync kills, fear-inducing whenever they go... And you can have more than one of those incredible beasts.
Number 4: Hormagaunts. I just love them little buggers, tearing things apart, leaping over obstacles like an unstoppable swarm... Too bad there's so few of them.
Number 5: Rippers. Ninja decappers, a tank of a sort, supression-immune under synapse (damn HWT's) and a tank of a sort. Did I mention free and instant reinforcing?
26th Jan 09, 6:39 PM
1. Techmarine: a very cool support unit. His turrets and mines can nicely fortify a position.
2. Avatar: Doesn't look quite as menacing as the one in DoW1, but very strong.
3. Tankbustas: The most over-the-top squad in the game. Just love the big rockets and explosions.
4. Dreadnaughts: All varieties. The most awesome mix of man and machine in the game.
5. Assault Marines: Will break your eff'n neck.
26th Jan 09, 6:42 PM
1) Tech Marine soley for 'Speak quickly now, before the cleansing begins'
2) Dreadnought for his steely voice of doom
3) Force Commander 'I shall rise again!' *inspires*
5) Tactical Marines the bread and butter awesome of SM
I only play orks and SM btw :P
26th Jan 09, 6:58 PM
5. Howling Banshees/Warriors: They're the only infantry short of a terminator that can take on a walker unit in melee and win. You don't get much studlier than that.
Don't forget Nobz with Hammer Upgrades, they can beat anything in the game up close with their hammers in seconds. I panicked when I saw a Carnifex come charging at me for the first time. Well I sent in my Nobz fearfully to deal with him, fully expecting that they would get slaughtered. Yea well, not only did they beat the shit out of him, but they had a cool extreme kill for it to boot. I had a smile that went for a mile after seeing that.
Actually Nobz probably be my number two pick, but i'm so impressed that the Eldar have managed grab my attention this time around.
26th Jan 09, 7:54 PM
1 - Wraithlord. Biggest badass in the game, and those sync-kills are just brutal.
2 - Lictor (Alpha). Flesh hooks are the single most satisfying mechanic in the game.
3 - Howling Banshees. Once brought down a Carnifex with these ladies, and they've proven incredibly useful in just about every situation I've used them in.
4 - Guardians. Very useful, versatile unit, and doesn't make me feel like I'm cheating like the Shuriken Platform does.
5 - Tankbustas. The Orky philosophy of war summed up in a single unit.
26th Jan 09, 10:52 PM
I only just got the beta, so I won't list a full five. Guardians are great, however. They're like I imagine they should be. The addition of energy shields was a stroke of genius, which makes them very useful for, well, guarding things, when you want to take a point without cover in the right places.
26th Jan 09, 11:52 PM
1. Nob Squad - I personally call them the "Rape Squad."
Upgraded with an Nob leader that defies the very laws of nature. I mean you have a squad of nobs... the biggest and the meanest there is... How can you have an EVEN BIGGER NOB? It hurts my head thinking about it.
2. Lictor Alpha - Flesh Hooks. 'nuff said.
3. Wraithlord - the coolest looking walker with some of the better upgrades
4. Sluggah Boyz - Will Waaagh the shit out of anything T1 if you let em get close enough...
5. Avatar - Giant god of murder... whats not to like?
27th Jan 09, 1:11 AM
#1 wraithlords: gotta love that wraithsword of his... plus there is something incredibly satisfying when i see it crouching and stabbing a tiny men with the sword to the ground.
#2 HB dev squad: i absolutely love their visual and sound combination.
#3 ASM: for being incredibly useful in just about everything, heck they are so useful in practically all situation it feels like cheating.
#4 Dreadnought: the assault cannon new effects just makes it so incredibly fun to use.
#5 Falcon: for being effective against almost everything, and being very noisy.
Commander choice: hmmm... i would pick apothecary in the past but after having incredibly amount of fun with an FC armed with power fist i'd pick Force Commander any day now.
27th Jan 09, 1:36 AM
A fully upgraded Nob squad is expensive as all hell. Especially to Orks who already get really low Req rates from having a lot of squads.
27th Jan 09, 1:42 AM
1. Apothecary. my favorite hero for many reasons
2. Predator tank. very cool tank all around in this game
3. Guardians. they seem a lot more useful in this game and their grenades are very pretty and effective
4. Wraithlord. that sword is very cool. they aren't rock 'em sock 'em robots this time
5. Assault Marines. that stomp effect when they land is awesome no matter how many times I see it.
27th Jan 09, 7:26 AM
1)warlock:give him a immolator and see him light up a walker XD
2)avatar:might not be the most useful since he comes out 2 late most matches but hes very nice
3)Wraithlord:hes big, hes bad,he has the firepower,he has a regen ability and he has a sword
4)guardians:very useful and very reliable
5)D-cannon:its a very nice peice of machinery
27th Jan 09, 8:01 AM
Things i think are cool:
1. Ork Kommando - I was sceptical, but watching this guy is just *fun*.
2. Warlock - just badass :p.
3. Ork-Nobs.. Huge Ork + Huge Weapon = Huge win.
4. Wraithlord - Looks just so *above* everything else.
5. Devastator Squad - 3 badass dudes with one badass gun.
What I don’t like:
Deffdread, Banshee's, Tyranids (except the little jumping guys, they are cute).
28th Jan 09, 10:27 AM
1. ASM - love the knock down when they jump especially on fleeing enemies.
2. Assault termies - beat up anything and have more hp than several tanks.
3. Howling banshees - nothing like watching some units arc beautifully throught the air before spearing some orcs.
4. Avatar - looks awesome and is.
5. Warp spiders - kinda weak but still handy for point harassment.
28th Jan 09, 10:40 AM
1. Scouts - Shotguns, Grenades, Inflitration... What's not to like. Low cost, quick building, versatile, perfect for backing up the SM's more costly squads
2. Devastator HB Squad - Damage, Suppression, Easy on the wallet. Keep another squad around to defend and support these guys, and they're the gift that keeps on giving.
3. Dreadnaught - Mmmm...Does anyone else love the sound of the cannon's barrage ability?
4. Force Commander - Anti-infanty/Anti-Vehicle/Tank. Your choice
5. Techmarine - For those days where I just need to build something.
 I haven't spent the time to build a relationship with any other races yet...
28th Jan 09, 11:03 AM
1. Tyranid Warriors
The bread and butter of the nids. They can be good at any role and without them, the swarm doesn't really kick it.
3. Hive Tyrant
Big growling beast that can be potentially very powerfull.
Never used him, but his 'xpolsioooonnns screwed me over multiple times. Gets my respect.
Looks awesome, is awesome. The iconic symbol of Eldar warfare, good looking and deadly.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.