PDA

View Full Version : am i crazy or...

Greyman
24th Oct 01, 4:08 PM
are all the really interesting mods impossible? why the hell cant you real programmers figure the .exe out? im gonna have to learn on my own for christ's sake! i dont have that kinda of time!!! between a varsity sport, 4 aps, and friends i barely have time to sleep! (yeah, but somehow i find time on the computer, what can i say? im hooked)...
well... i might as well give it a go. someone wanna tell me how or where to find out techniues that might be useful in messin with the exe? thanks

<Tyr>
24th Oct 01, 5:58 PM
ok.. first off, we arent allowed to crack the exe because there are copyrights against it and if we do, then we will get our behinds sued off :)

second off, please dont go flaming the forums just because you cant get what you want... this is one of the things that we have been trying to accompish for a long time... it just takes time, thats all...

and finnally, there are plenty of interesting mods out there... such as the T vs K mod.. or any of the B5 ones... juss look and be patient.. some of us have been with the Modding community since day 1 and sure, we dont always get what we want, but we have to live with it... it will hopefully eventually get done, tho... juss be patient :))

ceejayoz
24th Oct 01, 6:04 PM
Greyman, there's some pretty incredible programmers here. Take a look at their work before you criticize. And if you can't do better, don't criticize at all.

The .exe is quite well protected, and there are legal obstacles to cracking it like Tyr said. Some .exe mods have been made, but they are relatively simplistic due to the technical challenges.

RAZOR-BLADE
24th Oct 01, 7:50 PM
ouch thats gotta hurt and a word of advice dont try anything like "FIGHTING" with people or try putting your password and there user name LOL LOL LOL im still ban for that :(:( anyway cracking the exe i have no idea how but i would not like to get involed with the law so dont try it :):)

ShaunDon
24th Oct 01, 9:21 PM
Good grief, that's an amazing display of arrogance and insensitivity, if I do say so. Look, what these MODers do is hella-impressive -- it's incredibly time consuming and they've done a LOT within the confines of what's possible with Homeworld. Their work shows both great skill and creativity. Not to mention a LOT of dedication, which alone I admire greatly. Don't flaunt your pathetic high school schedule as a license to trash other people's work. We've all been there, and it means jack in the real world.

ShaunDon

themamboman
25th Oct 01, 6:37 AM
Our best bet is to either:

1 - Find another Homeworld-like program that is more modable
2 - Wait for HW2 (I'm starting to wonder...)
3 - Write our own version, explicitly made for modding

As for #1, the only one I've heard of is Starmageddon by lemon interactive (www.lemon-interactive.com). I've asked on their message board about modability. One of the developers mentioned that their tools are horrible, but they are all for supporting the community (hopefully, more than Relic and Barking Dog did...we want the original tools!)

#2, It's been a long time. I wonder if there are serious negotiation problems.

#3, I've thought about this. It wouldn't necessarily have to be open-source, because coordinating official releases could be very time consuming and complicated. I might look into this...shall we call it FreeWorld?

SvK
25th Oct 01, 10:39 AM
We've opened up so many possibilities for modding (thanks to Cnl Pepper and Dasher42) that to implement all the improvements we have proved are possible on a particular mod would probably be more work than has gone into that mod already!

Greyman
25th Oct 01, 3:47 PM
some people need lives.... thats really sad.... thank you those of you who responding in an intelligent manner, the rest of you need to either get lives or take it a little easier.
i was only kiddin about the real programmers thing, the only reason i could ever do better is i am the most incredibly lucky person in the world, to a paranormal degree. if i want sometihng i stumble into it by mistake, invariably.
and the copyrights thing, as long as u dont try to play on won or wander around shouting "guess what everyone?! i hacked the homeworld .exe illegally!" it doesnt really matter, i only mod because i find the results amusing, not to play it to any significant degree. so thats why i wanna hack the .exe.
and as for you people who are criticizing me for being in high school and complaining, im not complaining at all and im sure you complained when you were my age. plus im takin actually taking college courses, so if your in college dont try that. and its kinda sad you spend time on video games as an adult (no offense the non-assholes... you keep things in perspective). so take it easy and sleep some, maybe smoke pot, that helps uptight bastards sometimes... and maybe listen to a little phish.

Soulblighter
25th Oct 01, 4:43 PM
Greyman take it down a notch. If you have any thoughts on what would make a good mod, just let them know. The key to getting something changed, or done is too critique their work in a civilized manner.

I do not play mods myself, but just from the screen shots that i have seen, those modders do just unbelievable work. Frankly if i had 1/10 of their talent i would volunteer to help out. However i dont.

Anyway bottom line is this... if you have something that contributes to this forum in a mature and civilized manner, please feel free to stay, if you do not, i suggest you leave because the administration and moderators who watch these boards will not tolerate this type of behavior.

soul.

heh... forgot my sig was hosted by gs

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 4:48 PM
Greyman...

I have a friend taking 8 AP courses (one after school), plus playing viola in the city orchestra (youngest ever). She doesn't act all high and mighty about it like you are here. Don't whine to us about your killer schedule, 'k?

Most of the people here are just as intelligent as you are, or more. Don't pretend like you're superior.

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 4:50 PM
P.S. Homeworld was said by the very people who created it to be unmodable. That's right - the game programmers did not intend the game to be edited at all. Everything HW modders have done was thought to be impossible.

I've been here in the HW community for years, and the work people like SvK, CnlPepper, and many others here is absolutely astounding.

Dyntheos
25th Oct 01, 5:05 PM
wtf hi.

I don't do often but: -v greyman, +m editing forum, +v everyone else.

k open season on this thread.

all i can say is that you brought this on yourself and dmille asked me not to ban your ass :/

SvK
25th Oct 01, 5:06 PM
plus im takin actually taking college courses, so if your in college dont try that.
Not to selves: Don't take college courses when enrolled in college.

Well, that was diverting, but now we're bored. Oh well, no doubt soeone will take the hint and do a full Omnislash on this guy.

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 5:12 PM
Heehee, thx Dyn :)

We luff u.

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 5:21 PM
Dyn requested I post this for ya...
Welcome to the Internet.

No one here likes you.

We're going to offend, insult, abuse, and belittle the living hell out of you. And when you rail against us with "FUCK YOU YOU GEEK WIMP SKATER GOTH LOSER PUNK FAG BITCH!1!!", we smile to ourselves. We laugh at you because you don't get it. Then we turn up the heat, hoping to draw more entertainment from your irrational fuming.

We will judge you, and we will find you unworthy. It is a trial by fire, and we won't even think about turning down the flames until you finally understand.

Some of you are smart enough to realize that, when you go online, it's like entering a foreign country ... and you know better than to ignorantly fuck with the locals. You take the time to listen and think before speaking. You learn, and by learning are gladly welcomed.

For some of you, it takes a while, then one day it all dawns on you - you get it, and are welcomed into the fold.

Some of you give up, and we breathe a sigh of relief - we didn't want you here anyway. And some of you just never get it. The offensively clueless have a special place in our hearts - as objects of ridicule. We don't like you, but we do love you.

You will get mad. You will tell us to go to hell, and call us "nerds" and "geeks". Don't bother ... we already know exactly what we are. And, much like the way hardcore rap has co-opted the word "nigger", turning an insult around on itself to become a semiserious badge of honor, so have we done.

"How dare you! I used to beat the crap out of punks like you in high school/college!" You may have owned the playing field because you were an athlete. You may have owned the student council because you were more popular. You may have owned the hallways and sidewalks because you were big and intimidating. Well, welcome to our world.

Things like athleticism, popularity, and physical prowess mean nothing here. We place no value on them ... or what car you drive, the size of your bank account, what you do for a living or where you went to school.

Allow us to introduce you to the concept of a "meritocracy" - the closest thing to a form of self-government we have. In The United Meritocratic nation-states of the Internet, those who can do, rule. Those who wish to rule, learn. Everyone else watches from the stands.

You may posses everything in the off-line world. We don't care. You come to the Internet penniless, lacking the only thing of real value here: knowledge.

"Who cares? The Internet isn't real anyway!" This attitude is universally unacceptable. The Internet is real. Real people live behind those handles and screen names. Real machines allow it to exist. It's real enough to change government policy, real enough to feed the world's hungry, and even, for some of us, real enough to earn us a paycheck. Using your own definition, how "real" is your job? Your stock portfolio? Your political party? What is the meaning of "real", anyway?

Do I sound arrogant? Sure ... to you. Because you probably don't get it yet.

If you insist on staying, then, at the very least, follow this advice:

1) No one, ESPECIALLY YOU, will make any law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

2) Use your brain before ever putting fingers to keys.

3) Do you want a picture of you getting anally raped by Bill Clinton while you're performing oral sex on a cow saved to hundreds of thousands of people's hard drives? No? Then don't put your fucking picture on the Internet. We can, will, and probably already HAVE altered it in awful ways. Expect it to show up on an equally offensive website.

4) Realize that you are never, EVER going to get that, or any other, offensive web page taken down. Those of us who run those sites LIVE to piss off people like you. Those of us who don't run those sites sometimes visit them just to read the hatemail from fools like you.

5) Oh, you say you're going to a lawyer? Be prepared for us to giggle with girlish delight, and for your lawyer to laugh in your face after he explains current copyright and parody law.

6) The Web is not the Internet. Stop referring to it that way.

7) We have already received the e-mail you are about to forward to us. Shut up.

8) Don't reply to spam. You are not going to be "unsubscribed".

9) Don't ever use the term "cyberspace" (only William Gibson gets to say that, and even he hasn't really used it for two or three books now). Likewise, you prove yourself a marketing-hype victim if you ever use the term "surfing".

10) With one or two notable exceptions, chat rooms will not get you laid.

11) It's a hoax, not a virus warning.

12) The internet is made up of thousands of computers, all connected but owned by different people. Learn how to use *your* computer before attempting to connect it to someone else's.

13) The first person who offers to help you is really just trying to fuck with you for entertainment. So is the second. And the third. And me.

14) Never insult someone who's been active in any group longer than you have. You may as well paint a damn target on your back.

15) Never get comfortable and arrogant behind your supposed mask of anonymity. Don't be surprised when your name, address, and home phone number get thrown back in your smug face. Hell, some of us will snail-mail you a printed satellite photograph of your house to drive the point home. Realize that you are powerless if this happens ... it's all public information, and information is our stock and trade.

16) No one thinks you are as cool as you think you are.

17) You aren't going to win any argument that you start.

18) If you're on AOL, don't worry about anything I've said here. You're already a fucking laughing stock, and there's no hope for you.

19) If you can't take a joke, immediately sell your computer to someone who can. RIGHT NOW.

Pissed off? It's the TRUTH, not these words, that hurts your feelings. Don't ever even pretend like I've gone & hurt them.

We don't like you. We don't want you here. We never will. Save us all the trouble and go away.

disco stu
25th Oct 01, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by RAZOR-BLADE
ouch thats gotta hurt and a word of advice dont try anything like "FIGHTING" with people or try putting your password and there user name LOL LOL LOL im still ban for that :(:( anyway cracking the exe i have no idea how but i would not like to get involed with the law so dont try it :):)
I SAY MAKE GOING WITH THE SORRY IM WHEN ST%UFF HAPPENS LOLOLOROFFOPDSAFLALAOOL OK DONT BREAK LAW BYATHS BAD

Mnementh
25th Oct 01, 5:35 PM
"Ono, no-one can figure out cancer. Dumbasses, Im doing lots in my life and Im better than you all but now Ill have to figure out a cure for cancer"

Man, next thing youll be telling us is that your dads bill gates.

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 5:37 PM
stu, don't try to understand RAZOR-BLADE, you'll only hurt your brain trying :(

Mnementh
25th Oct 01, 5:43 PM
get cut trying is the correct term.

Langy
25th Oct 01, 6:32 PM
Errrrrrr..... No, you'll just get hurt in the brain. Alot. I know, he pesters me alot on MSN.

Now, as for Greyman, WTFS is your problem? Half the people here probably have a busier schedule, are taking harder classes, or ACTUALLY HAVE JOBS! And why is it that you find adults who play videogames sad? Just because your parents weren't around in our generation to play videogames and the like doesn't mean that all adults are automatically 'unhip' to the videogame rage.

Also, modding is some serious work. Modeling is EXTREMELY hard to do, and I completely respect anyone who can do it better than me (which means almost all modelers on this forum, as I'm not exactly good). Programming is one of the hardest things I've ever tried. I gave up after a while of trying to figure it out. It's extremely tough to do. Don't yell at people because what you wanted to happen didn't. That's bad. Now, go away Grey.

RAZOR-BLADE
25th Oct 01, 7:45 PM
you's hurt your brain I PESTER YOU LANGY!!!!!!!! so. anyway this is very funny but it's happen to me not this bad but i've had me fight's with dmillie and CJ GRRRR anyway i'll let this unfold

RAZOR-BLADE
25th Oct 01, 7:47 PM
oh and stu WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT OF "QOUTEING" MY OLD POST??? "I SAY MAKE GOING WITH THE SORRY IM WHEN ST%UFF HAPPENS LOLOLOROFFOPDSAFLALAOOL OK DONT BREAK LAW BYATHS BAD" WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 8:20 PM
He's making fun of your inability to create a gramatically correct sentence.

Maverick_3058
25th Oct 01, 9:08 PM
English might not be his primary language, you know.:/

ceejayoz
25th Oct 01, 9:27 PM
Gibberish is his native language, methinks.

disco stu
25th Oct 01, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by RAZOR-BLADE
oh and stu WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT OF "QOUTEING" MY OLD POST??? "I SAY MAKE GOING WITH THE SORRY IM WHEN ST%UFF HAPPENS LOLOLOROFFOPDSAFLALAOOL OK DONT BREAK LAW BYATHS BAD" WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??
THE QOUTEING BUTTON IS MORE FUJN THAN THE REEPLY BUTON OH KAY BACK OFF I WILL DO WAT I WANT TO DO YOU SHUDNT DISREESPETC MEE

SvK
26th Oct 01, 12:17 PM
ceejayoz: "stu, don't try to understand RAZOR-BLADE, you'll only hurt your brain trying "

Blood Dragon: "get cut trying is the correct term."

Langy: "Errrrrrr..... No, you'll just get hurt in the brain. Alot. "

RAZOR_BLADE'S sig: "DONT GET SLICED"

SvK: *giggle* Oh yah, Greyman should take etiquette classes. Hope they fit in his schedule.

RAZOR-BLADE
26th Oct 01, 12:32 PM
point of making fun of me is what funny wow oooh so hurt

Ghent
26th Oct 01, 12:35 PM
nar matey, we luff ya ;) *hands RAZOR a T-MAT ship to go cut up*

Ghent
26th Oct 01, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by themamboman
Our best bet is to either:

1 - Find another Homeworld-like program that is more modable
2 - Wait for HW2 (I'm starting to wonder...)
3 - Write our own version, explicitly made for modding

As for #1, the only one I've heard of is Starmageddon by lemon interactive (www.lemon-interactive.com). I've asked on their message board about modability. One of the developers mentioned that their tools are horrible, but they are all for supporting the community (hopefully, more than Relic and Barking Dog did...we want the original tools!)

#2, It's been a long time. I wonder if there are serious negotiation problems.

#3, I've thought about this. It wouldn't necessarily have to be open-source, because coordinating official releases could be very time consuming and complicated. I might look into this...shall we call it FreeWorld?

wtfacow... were all of you so preoccupied with flaming some newcomer (come on now, both sides were to blame for arrogance and not trying to understand the other)...
...that you MISSED what wonderful insight mambo laid down here? Idealistic yes, but whoever picked up on FreeWorld or this idea could be sitting pretty someday, or get that job with Relic more than easily.... shoot, even OWN relic someday. wtf, this deserves a double post/bump/etc.

Langy
26th Oct 01, 4:12 PM
I decided to ignore that because it would be seriously illegal.

Oh, and by the way, RAZOR is just a silly Canuck. Don't listen too much to him.

JomilDakr
26th Oct 01, 5:11 PM
well...
i too am new, and dont particularly want to be hated, but i must say this,

you guys reeeeeeeeeeeeeally overreacted, i may be weird, but i could tell greyman was kidding. but against him he also overreacted to you overreacting (thats kind of a confusing sentence isnt it? damn). and to ghent's credit he reacted in a very good manner. so everyone calm down a little, and dont get all pissy. i think you all are just looking for conflict, this post took off compared to the others. but anywayz... dont flip out on me, im just giving a neautral position. and also dont rag on high schoolers... i play a varsity sport and take 5 aps and a band and a job (i need that, im helping pay my way thru private school with the aid of a schoalrship and my parents who arent rich by any means). im dropping one of the aps, so i can sympathize with him. dont rip into me please, but if you disagree with what i said and you express it in a manner that does not insult anyone i will be very happy.

ps pot is not a good idea. it took a whole crapload of effort for me to quit...

Greyman
26th Oct 01, 5:22 PM
thank you! i agree completely. i did overreact and for that i apologize... jomildakr... hey! you played dawn (uh...sorta)!!! and you said you were in the navy!! o... yeah, your jomil's brother arent you? he told me about you. he said u sometimes use the same id... thats cool. its nice to have the voice of reason around... just like ur brother man, keep it up.

ceejayoz
26th Oct 01, 5:36 PM
if you believe in god and die and he exists you go to heaven. if you believe in god and die and he doesnt exist nothing happens. if you dont believe in god and die and he exists, your screwed- blaise pascal (adjusted slightly, but you get the gist of it)
Pascal's wager has long been discredited as illogical. Quoting it just makes you sound silly.

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/hilde/Philhandouts/pascal.html

Greyman
26th Oct 01, 5:40 PM
yeah, thats mean... hes probably just joking, for all you know that could be the point. pascal may have been completely illogical, but he did a lot for math too. also if your religious, it may be illogical, but its reassuring. personally i think its a boatload of crap, but respect the man's beliefs.

ceejayoz
26th Oct 01, 5:41 PM
I respect his beliefs, just not using something that has been discredited to "prove" them.

Greyman
26th Oct 01, 5:47 PM
i know his brother from the dawn hoax (at least i think i do, he ahsnt confirmed that yet), but if hes anything like his brother hes blatantly against organized religion and attempts at proving it... but he believes in god... i talked to his brother a lot about it, particualarly religion, because it was part of dawn, go to www.glitchless.com and read about it, it a hoax though.

JomilDakr
26th Oct 01, 5:51 PM
yeah greymans got it all pretty much right. except im not against organized religion, im a memeber of the cathoilic church. i really think pascal had no idea what he was talking about, i just tihnk he said some pretty damn amusing things to say. hey greyman email me at jomildakr@yahoo.com lets talk, i remember my brother telling me about u and azeron when i was tihnking bout dawn joining dawn, but then it all went to hell.

<Tyr>
26th Oct 01, 7:14 PM
I personally say that we should give Greyman another chance... ion order to redeem himself... although with doing so, i think we should also give him some advice... and some constructive criticism, for the use and beviour upon these Boards....

ok.. i suggest stating when you are joking,(type j/k after the joke) Greyman, otherwise things like this break out.. some of us arent intelligent enough to understand joking, dont hav enough commen sense, are very paranoid, or are extremely weary from past issues such as this one..... we intend no harm, but we did not, however, know that you were joking... nowadays, most people mean that sort of thing when they say it, and although it is wrong to judge all by some, it is instinct and it is also inevitible...

therefore, i suggest that everyone now withdraws their previous...... unacceptable and immature comments..... or at least those that have made them........ i do belive that all poster here have some sort of talent, and mine, personally is Modelling.... i STILL belive that EVERYTHING is possible... just.. not... probable.....

Hail, Greyman, and welcome... the greeting which you got before was unacceptable... by any standards... we (or at least myself) now wish for you to redeem yourself... for we oursleves must do the same.......

Greyman
26th Oct 01, 8:45 PM
thanks man... i was in a bad mood and overreacted and i apologize... so lets move on. i understand how people get like you mentioned, so i guess ill put j/k or sometihng, or make it painfully obvious... to the point that the mentally retarded who should be incapable of operating a computer at all would understand.

Ghent
27th Oct 01, 10:05 PM
ARrrr, lad quit ye talking about me thar :P
lol

btw, ceej?... living in Texas now and knowing sorta what many of them are like... don't believe anything out of Texas :P (ie - link whatever about pascal). And yes tihs has other [political] implications also.