I do NOT support this tool anymore. I will NOT read any more PMs or requests on ICQ, so use this forum!
EDIT: v1.1 released (should now work smoothly with Vista 64bit)
I wrote a little application, which pretty much works the same way as the DCUnlocker made by Bilge.
You only need Soulstorm installed and it should work fine (at least, if you haven't messed up the registry).
I tested it with:
Windows XP SP2 Prof 32bit
Vista Business 32bit (with and without SP1)
Vista Business 64bit (Unlocker v1.1)
Pls give me feedback (beer would be fine too *g*)
You can get the app here:
Soulstorm Race Unlocker v1.1
This tool has been open source since release, i just forgot to mention it, in this thread :D
Sources can be found here
(just scroll down and look for "Soulstorm Race Unlocker v1.1 Sources.rar")
If there are any troubles some hints:
1) if you have used the DC Unlocker before, go to your Soulstorm directory and delete the following files IF they have no icons and less than 1MB: W40k.exe W40kWA.exe and DarkCrusade.exe (in fact you can delete them anyway, but it doesn't matter, if they are really the original exe from previous DoW versions)
2) if you have messed with your registry before (without properly knowing, what you are doing), fix it or simply reinstall Soulstorm and run the Unlocker again
3) As for any errors like
"Aplication wasn't initiated properly (0xc0000135). Press OK to terminate."
You may try out updating your .NET-Framework, as GiT proposed later in this thread.
4) If you are running any version of Vista, you have to run the app with admin-rights (right-click on app -> run as admin)
5) If Soulstorm says, your keys are invalid, you either have made a typo and/or forgot the dashes. The keys have to be entered like: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
6) If you get the error "/GraphicsConfig.exe could not be found..." and reinstalling Soulstorm does not help, then try the old version of the unlocker. I have no idea, why some people have a directory named "Wow6232Node" in their registry, which should only be existant in the 64bit version of Windows, and 'cause of the serious lack of received beer, i'm too lazy to update it.
If above 6 tips don't help you, post here.
Update for Vista and Steam-Users
If you run Vista, Soulstorm probably won't start with admin permissions, resulting in an invalid CD-Key Dialog (although the keys are there and correct of course).
Solution: Start Steam (or Soulstorm, if you own the retail version) with right-click-> run as admin.
Easiest way for steam-users is deactivating the auto-start of steam and create a shortcut on your desktop.