Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

HW2 Box Art Challenge

[bulletproof]
    excellent R2 and deadguy!!! R2, i like how you used that one screnshot off to the left in a bar, and the rest white. cool gray logo too.

and deadguy...
    god, i LOVE your fifth box. most entries so far have hiigara and the angel moon, skewed off to the side along with a fleet, yet it never really works except to fill up space. YOU however aligned it like the hw logo. i absolutely love number 5. i would complain that you should have the moon above the planet, but i think it looks better this way! i also like your two orangey ones.

yeah i like deadguys fourth one a lot. I also like the fact that you used the old logo, as i prefer it to the new a lot. I would have used the old logo in one of my box arts, but i couldn't find a good picture of it.

--pimpster

Here's another one - a play off of R2's most recent. The resemblance to Playstation 2 boxes wasn't really what I was going for, but that's how it turned out.

Remember, click for big.

Last edited by deadguy; 18th Mar 03 at 3:52 AM.

Hopefully at the lake. Miss that place terribly in the winter.
    Very well done concepts, Deadguy. The one just above would grab my attention big-time on the gaming shelf, and the third from the bottom on the previous page I'd really like to have for a screen background for my computer. It preserves that stark beauty I remember so well from Homeworld. Any chance you could make a 1024x768 version, without the "PC" bar across the bottom?

R2, do not give up! Your first attempt nails 'er just fine.

-- Retro

freak
    hehe thx Retro and just to show that I'll try to do just that here's some more:

My first one just a bit tweaked here and there. I moved the "epic..." more to the right and fixed one of the stickers which was cut short a bit

And here's a different variant with some more changes... well see for yourself:

I'm looking forward to your comments guys

edit: @deadguy with such a box available they should release it on PS2 nice one
    Last edited by Artoo; 18th Mar 03 at 10:25 AM.

[bulletproof]
    deadguys box reminds me of a japanese import.

R2, i really like your new black cover! definitely cool with gray and black.

my only new comment/complaint/quibble/criticism is that lots of people are splitting hte HW2 logo in half. blah! stop! i need the WHOLE logo! ok ok i know its hard to fit, and its artistic, but it seems like somethings missing in these (the other half of the logo...?)

Just imagine that it wraps around the box

:bow:

IMHO, it's a dead heat between Gyokuran's second one, and Sympatico. Simple, yet powerful.
    My direction, not my intention, will determine my destination. - A.S.

R2, I suggest making the "epic real time strategy" text a bit more crisp. otherwise its very good. Actually something a company might use because of its simplicity yet eye catching appeal.

medamanx
    darn, R2 took my idea whilst ive been doing last minute homework... i cant wait til i get these last 3 chapters done then i can get myself in gear get to work on a box...

[bulletproof]
    whats IMHO? im new to forums, dont push me into traffic.
    i smell pizza bagels, be back never.

bean13
    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

I can't pick a favourite -- everyone's work is 1337 hacksaw.

As a request (seeing as I can't operate graphics programs to save my life), I'd like to see a box similar to the 'leaked' Relic placeholder art-box. No bald Karan, but using the same ideas.

I envision a black box with a semi-transparent image of Karan looking straight ahead, deadpan. Her left eye is normal, but her right eye is replaced by a planet(oid) -- either Hiigara or the Angel Moon -- with some kind of lens flare/corona effect going on. The mothership, as in the original, forms part of the right-hand curve of her face.

Various ships can be used as necessary, but simple is beautiful, people.

BTW, when I say an image of Karan, you'd have to go look one up. But then, I doubt anyone is going to devote enough time to reading exactly what I'd like to see, reading my mind as to how it should look, and producing the image. Most of the other pieces here are better, anyway.

No1_Killer
    i must say ive been following this art work since the start and as soon as u think they cant get any better someone pulls another one out so gj all.

r2 i think on ure black pic u should try and remove the carrier it doesn't look right with a chuck of a ship in the middle and try putting a ship that can be seen inplace of it. only an idea still looks good all the same

freak
    I kinda like it the way it is... but I might try to have a shot at a totally different screenie. I might change some more things while I'm at it... we shall see
    Last edited by Artoo; 21st Mar 03 at 8:21 AM.

[bulletproof]
    thanks bean.

in that case, IMHO to everythingive posted in this thread, didt mean to offend anyone.

I liked the fifth in that big row of yours Deadguy .

I have to say that so far my favorite is R2's white design. I don't know what it is. There's color, yet simplicity. Balance, yet asymmetry. The strip of screenshot is perfect, and the logo's placement is likewise excellent. I would like to see it perhaps not divided perfectly down the middle... move a little more of it onto the box (i.e. over to the left a bit, just so it's not cut right down the middle) and possibly lighten the logo a bit. Also as has been said the "Real Time Strategy" needs to be crisper, but all in all an excellent composition.

deadguy, I also greatly enjoy your 4th and 7th boxes, very well done.

likewise pimpster's Hiigaran cover is well done.

acolyte, I actually like your cover, it's simplistic and yet interesting.

Vijil's entries are all solid but I have to say I like the 4th, 6th, 7th and 8th best, they have excellent color scemes, very good balance, excellent images. The 8th is notable because it's very simple and yet very interesting, although I'm not a fan of the color purple as such.

Fox McCloud I am a huge fan of those Vagyr covers, the colors and activity going on in them is great. The cover with the logo "lit" by the vertical strip was good too.

A176, ohaunlaim, Xypher, and arioch, all excellent work as well.

Sorry if there's anyone that I missed that I thought had a great entry, but it is late and I'm tired. The greater majority of these look simply superb, very professional. I hope Relic ends up using one or more of these... can't make them choose just one.

ok well these are all of the ones that i've posted so far, well not quite all of them, just the versions that look the best to me. I still might do a couple more boxes.

Last edited by Quaetam; 28th Jul 09 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Images

Kelvin

Look for it in stores in the second half of 1973!

Last edited by Quaetam; 10th May 09 at 8:56 AM.

lolol

HugoBossSLS
    svp artoo, nice box you mad indeed!....all the others are amazing too!!

they look proffesional........maybe i must give it a try?????..buti ll think it ends up in a clothing advert then...lol

GreG (3d)
    When will be winner announced? Or it's just unofficaill and unformal contest?

Kelvin, you have the best avatar/custom title I have ever seen!

Not sure if there will be a winner... need to ask Arioch

Kelvin
    Originally posted by SvK
    Kelvin, you have the best avatar/custom title I have ever seen!
    Thanks. It helps prevent confusion amoung those who knew me as a Relic employee.

i'm not trying to say anything with the bunny smilie. I just like bunnies.

I think we'll have a voting thread when xypher thinks the comp is over.

its close.

It also sucks that my hosting went down and some of my designs were permenantly lost. (sucks when you save a modification and forget to change the filename)

Voting thread dude. Lets sort this out, and then email the best to relic.

not yet - I still have a few ideas. I'm just working on this coloring thread at the moment.

29. Child's Play Donor Homeworld Senior Member  #329
    if pimpster's explosion box had a logo that followed the guidelines (ie blue) it would be an absolute winner

Yeah, it be nice if participants had a thread where they could post their best entries so that they existed all on one page. Then a poll for member voting.

Better yet one post with all the pics and a poll and locked. Xypher?

well here is the blue title version of the Vaygr box cover.

and here is another one i put together.

32. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #332
    The 2nd one has too many stars :/

freak
    I liked the red text version a lot more... blue just doesn't seem to fit in there imo

yeah, so do i, but molotov suggested that i try it, so i did. Does anyone else think there are too many stars in the other pic?

--pimpster

[bulletproof]
    i liked the red text better, too, and the second one has so many stars it looks dusty. wouldnt want anyone to think noone wants to buy HW2! otherwise, those are my two favorite boxes so far -- keep the red text, add some more stuff to the hiigaran and take away the stars, smooth it all out and you're golden, baby.

K, well i decreased the number of stars and i have a new one. its probably not suitable for a box cover and too calm, but i thought i'd post it anyway.

For some reason my better Vaygr cover has been changed to the new blue one. i'll have to update that later.

and for the hiigaran one what do i need to add?

the red one is still the best yet

[bulletproof]
    much better with the stars, pimp. what do you need to add? well, you have a nice color scheme for each one (V, H), and honestly i think the vaygr one is awesome - great ships, not crowded, and the explosion fills up most of the box. as for the hiigaran, you obviously have a lot less action, but the bigger problem is that there is no real balance. its basically just pic of space, with a few fighters, the BC, and the MS slapped on there. i think you need to manage the spacing a little better, add some stuff, but still (and not to be picky) try not to overcrowd it. DONT do another huge explosion like the vagyr one (it fits the vagyr one well.... theyre the antagonist in the story, huge violent explosions fits them well) IMHO you should add hiigara as some filler. that might just be all you need, pimp. :ds:
    Last edited by [bulletproof]; 24th Mar 03 at 3:07 PM.

[bulletproof]
    oh yeah another thing pimp. keep the HW2 title at the same level as the vagyr box. (the hiigaran one is a lot farther down, vagyr is to the center)

and honestly, i didnt notice until now that you had changed your hiigaran cover from a few days ago.. you had hiigara, no MS, and it looked alot better, too. dont mean to frustrate you, but i say scrap the whole new hiigaran cover and just touch up the old one.

MistaB
    grrr... damn free web space

Youll have to click on the url

http://mistab.4t.com/BETA1.jpg

http://mistab.4t.com/BETA2.jpg

http://mistab.4t.com/BETA3.jpg
    Last edited by MistaB; 24th Mar 03 at 10:16 PM.

lol @ "remote linking forbidden"

Click 'n' drag the link into your address bar.

k, i see what you mean now. And the one with the ms is not a diffrent hiigaran cover, just something i tried out. It isn't as good as the hiigaran so i'm just going to concentrate on the Hiigaran one and make that one look at its best rather than to try to make two diffrent covers look ok. And they are too similar too :P.

--pimpster

[bulletproof]
    good luck, sure youll nail it. :sniper:

I have to agree with others, get rid of the concept art BC and put higarra there instead

Pimpsters red box cover is the win IMO.

Great work all around

briley
    Hope it's not too late to include mine. Here is my first attempt...

Beast
    Not bad

[bulletproof]
    very original briley

especially like how you put the BC and vagyr destroyer in place of the wings

keep working on it, i like it alot

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information