What do you think about the addition of SUPER UNITS

CrashNBurn

What do you think about the addition of SUPER UNITS

Maybe a foolish thought I know but how cool would it be if there was some super units you could buy which either a) cost like 10000 coal and 10000 elec each. Or maybe b) Can only be bought after 20 minutes into the game. or C) both.

What do you think??

Once known as X
    no..please no

Super weapons have ruined every RTS(with them) game to date.
    Lets go over the big ones shall we.
    hmm i seem to have forgotton the big ones...(thus the edit)

Starcraft:Carriers battlecruisers nukes...
    massed game after game. Granted these are so much a super weapon compared to....

Red Alert:Nukes that can be targeted anywhere causing massive damage, chronosphers which can teleport troops anywhere.

Red Alert 2:Nukes,chronosphere still there. But a new one the weather controller which is a nuke on steroids.

Warcraft 3 ,while it doesnt really have super weapons has super heros which can be grossly overpowered(eyes the person who designed the archmage and demonhunter)

Red alert 2 has an option to turn the super weapons off,which is very nice.
    Last edited by Once known as X; 3rd Apr 03 at 4:23 PM.

Deathhawk
    I'd like to see the exact opposite. Have the ability to limit the level of research. It would keep the game much more fast paced. Sitting back and turtling wouldn't be as effective.

radfaraf
    Super weapons suck. They reduce the game into a competition to be the first one to get it so you can win ^_^.

Radical_Raccoon
    NO weapon of mass destruction for IC.

CrashNBurn
    maybe just a mod then :P

radfaraf
    All the cheat game players would love it hehe.

Japorms
    superweapons in ra2 cost 5,000 golds. thas equivalent to roughly 10 tanks. if you allow your opponent to get supers w/out attacking them, then your a newb who knows nothing.

I dont have problems with superweapons in any rts.

Sun Dog
    Impossible Creatures already has super units. They're called chimp whales.

radfaraf
    Any good melee owns the chimp whales

Aged
    No super units, please!!

marinerfan100
    Like x said, superweapons have ruined all rts games.

neutrino_cannon
    Originally posted by radfaraf
    Any good melee owns the chimp whales
    they make godly aaa, but otherwise die if you smack em had enough. Good old mele tactics, wins against just about anything.:nod:

Of course, if you are masochistic, you could try to counter them with lemming/bats.

edited to add:

carriers in SC are easy to counter. Same goes for battle cruisers.

uber zerglings however...

Turanic Wing Captain
    No super-units!!! But, as far as I've played in single-player, lobster-rhinos and eel-turtles rule over all. Even killer whale things. (maybe not chimp-whales, but a whole lot)

DDNA
    A super weapon might be allright, if there was a way to counter it. In the game Total Anihilation, you can build a nuke, truly devastating in effect. But, you can also build missile defense launchers. They have a defense radius and launch missles at incomming nuclear missiles to destroy them. So if we had some way to defend against the super weapon, thereby nulifying its potentially dominating effects, it might not be so bad.

Life_N_Death
    I think super weapons would 1- completely ruin the game and 2- would also ruin the setting! The Game is set in the 30's , what super weapons can u think of? A nuke in IC --- i dont think so.....
    :angel:
    SHB_Life_N_Death

Hell_Hound

super wepon

this may not have any thing to do with Ic, but it is about super wepons.

I have plans to make a super wepon in a rts, however its very limited.

you will have to build building after building, to make it. The First is the energy pit. If the pit is destroyed, well no more super wepon for that game coz you only get one chance. Destoying it is not with out consequeses though, It expodes taking out a larger area around it.

Plus there are three groups to use in the game. The super weapons of each are like playing rock, paper, scissors.

poxer8
    the game's fine as it is. Even if there were super weapons, everbody would have them and it would be just the same as it is now.

rhinocool
    super weapons make some games crap.

Life_N_Death
    Some? It messes up all games, and Hell if you want a general thought about them (not in IC) I suggest posting a thread on the matter in the general forum, for a wider range of thought.
    Life_N_Death :angel:

Hell_Hound
    yeah, ok. well im not puting super weapons in the mod im making.
    so most things have low df. Life_N_death says its too low though...

Life_N_Death
    Yes... I think a level 5 unit with 25 defence, and most of your other unitrs ranging from 1-10 is a bit low......
    Any one else have an opinion?

sbqnddz
    25 defence is a bit lower

rhinocool
    not all superweapons mess up games. take for instance the "CnC"(command and Conquer). they did not mess thous games up.:sniper:

GIMPbeowulf
    Originally posted by Once known as X
    no..please no

Super weapons have ruined every RTS(with them) game to date.
    Lets go over the big ones shall we.
    hmm i seem to have forgotton the big ones...(thus the edit)

Starcraft:Carriers battlecruisers nukes...
    massed game after game. Granted these are so much a super weapon compared to....

Red Alert:Nukes that can be targeted anywhere causing massive damage, chronosphers which can teleport troops anywhere.

Red Alert 2:Nukes,chronosphere still there. But a new one the weather controller which is a nuke on steroids.

Warcraft 3 ,while it doesnt really have super weapons has super heros which can be grossly overpowered(eyes the person who designed the archmage and demonhunter)

Red alert 2 has an option to turn the super weapons off,which is very nice.
    While I don't know jack squat about red alert, I don't really agree with your other examples.

For starcraft, it's rediculously easy to deal with either of those massed, they are very vulnerable unless with a good crowd of other units and special units and if they have all that you should be comparably equipped.

In warcraft 3, though the whole hero idea annoys me and I don't think the game is much fun because of it, I don't think they're unballanced, each of the heroes can be very powerful in the right setting and since anyone can build them reasonably cheaply it's fair. It's easy to say the keeper of the grove and far seer are very powerful as well. The undead heroes are also quite good as well, it's ballanced because of this, everyone can make a hero or two and they're in the same place.

However, I wouldn't consider either of those examples superweapons.

One closer to home (around here anyways) example is the sensor array you can build un HW. It's not a weapon, but it does have that "super" feel and IMO does not belong, no one should have that kind of omniscience without having units there to see.

TyrealMathias
    super weapons are fine if they have, like Hell Hound said, some sort of triangular countering to them..

heavy cruisers in HW could be considered super weapons... but can be countered by bombers...

anything can be considered a super weaon if used correctly... (i love bombardier/archerfish ... partially flying amphibious AAA units, the ultimate weapon...)

Life_N_Death
    Actually, the point of a SUPER weapon is that it can severly damage you, in one shot. Units cant be considered a super weapon. Something in the area of a Nuke is a super weapon because it Destroys a large portion of your base. On another note, The rock-paper scisors method, used in most RTS games, will not work in super weapons, because what happens then is that we simply have a larger scale damage range. Its like having much much more powerful units. Instead of the scale of damage being in 30-40 with units, the whole game will be based on using, and countering thse super weapons, which will simply up the scale to hundreds or thousands.

ghuandhuolz
    the super units is already inside the ic or ic ii mod packs the only thing you have to do is use your creativity and imagination to create it.

Life_N_Death
    Are you refering to a code or something- or to a unit one can create?
    Life_N_Death

Hell Toad
    Originally posted by Sun Dog
    Impossible Creatures already has super units. They're called chimp whales.
    chimp whales suck compared to my super unit, THHEEEE, moose/lobster!

Rattlesnake
    ok i agree with everone else no super weapons i despise them with a passion that was the only flaw in star craft ( but u gota luv the carriers)

Drop_6
    i agree havin wmd in ic would suck eggs bigtime.
    Up the impossible creaturers
    Last edited by Drop_6; 4th Aug 03 at 4:43 PM.

Life_N_Death
    Drop- Dont come here just to insult IC.
    Life_N_Death

DragnBludthrsty
    Super Weopons aren't fun just because of how expensive they are. People either tech hard and get them, or hide back and lose.

It's not that fun to lose to some bum in FFA cuz he just stocked up on money.

Though I would think that turtling would be more effective if the research level were limited. It'd put a limit on how strong the creatures that attack them could be.

Xcelar8te
    super weapons would really ruin IC. i mean come on alot of newbs cant play until lvl 5 so why give them more reasons to play like that? in some games super weapons would be nice but definetly not IC

takplayer
    Originally posted by DDNA
    A super weapon might be allright, if there was a way to counter it. In the game Total Anihilation, you can build a nuke, truly devastating in effect. But, you can also build missile defense launchers. They have a defense radius and launch missles at incomming nuclear missiles to destroy them. So if we had some way to defend against the super weapon, thereby nulifying its potentially dominating effects, it might not be so bad.
    that is because TA rocks! w00t go TA! still strong community! planetannihilation.com ! w00t!

Bane
    25 defence is low???
    bah
    *goes and gets rid of his makeshift dragon w/ 9 defence*
    anaconda+wasp can look like a dragon

neutrino_cannon
    Originally posted by Bane
    25 defence is low???
    bah
    *goes and gets rid of his makeshift dragon w/ 9 defence*
    anaconda+wasp can look like a dragon

25 defense is boaderline acceptable. If you have massive hitpoints or massive attack, it might be worthwhile.

Note that buildings have effectively zero defense, and i like them fine.

Thread Information