HOWTO: Make a Howitzer buildable

HOWTO: Make a Howitzer buildable

Ok, here’s how to turn the howitzer into a buildable turret for allies.

Step 1:
    Copy the ebps for the machine gun nest (as a base for the howitzer building), and rename it to 105_mm_howitzer.lua (or rgd, depending on which file you copied).

Step 2:
    Now open up the modstudio and do the following:
    1) Open up the newly created building, and find the weapon names (green) and change the weapon name (red) to: weapon\allies\ballistic_weapon\howitzer\m2a1_105mm_gun.lua

2) Remove the hold_ext entry from the file. Right click on hold_ext and select delete.

3) And since we really shouldn’t have a bunker enclosing the howitzer, it’s a good idea to remove the animator line. Same procedure as above.

4) Now we will change the icon to the one used for the howitzer upgrade. Navigate to the ui_ext and down to icon_name (green) and change the value (red) to: abilities\ability_allied_howitzer_upgrade

5) Now for the ingame name of the howitzer. We will be using the name “105 mm howitzer There are 2 ways to do this:
    a. Add it to your mod’s .ucs file, and then putting the number from the .ucs into the ebps under ui_ext in the screen_name entry (red) like this:

124001 being replaced by the number from your .ucs file

b. The other and somewhat less time intensive way of doing it is adding the name in plain text under screen_name. In other words, instead of the numbers in the above version, enter the name of the howitzer in plain text in the red area of the above pic. (I will be doing this in the sample file that accompanies this tutorial since I couldn’t get my ucs to work in DOW, so I’m pretty sure I won’t get it to work now either). But when you do this, you also have to change this (green) to say text:

Get to this by clicking on the + beside ui_ext and clicking on screen_name, then click on CoH UCS Ref and choose “text” from the dropdown menu. Then it will read what you enter as plain text and display it as such

6) Now we will change the help_text of the building. You can do this in 2 ways too, same as above, only with help_text instead of screen_name (found 2 entries above the green in (4)). So I don’t think it’s necessary to go into more detail here. Just change it to what you feel it should say. I wrote this: “A 105 mm Howitzer Gun”.

The following steps are optional and are only present if you want it to have better FX for when it is hit, plus hitpoints if you want to edit that.

7) This step will make the hit fx for the building display as being metal and not a sandbag, this is purely for aesthetics. Find hit_object_ext and then hit_material (red). Then change the value (green) to hit_material\metal.lua

8) No we will edit the cost of the howitzer. Locate cost_ext, then time_cost and finally cost (green). Then edit the different values (red) to suit your needs. I chose 200 manpower and 50 fuel.

This concludes my first CoH tutorial (or my first one ever for that matter). Hope it serves its purpose well.

Below you will find this tutorial in a .doc format, along with a sample version of the howitzer.
    If this by some strange accident of fate shouldn't work, please let me know and I'll get right on to fixing it.

The file goes into \yourmodname\dataattrib\attrib\ebps\races\allies\buildings\

Links to files:
    105 mm howitzer.rar
    howitzer_tutorial.rar
    Linkified because forum won't let me attach a file to two separate posts.
    Last edited by darkelf; 5th Oct 06 at 5:44 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo in the weapon entry, causing a missing lua problem
    "We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
    Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
    Formerly DarkelfLord

ozka
    Great tutorial, thanks. By the way, how did you get the grey background for CohStudio. The white background trashes my eyes :P

I use windowblinds with the GT3 skin.

Tankkiller99
    Yeah i got it to work only the model of the howitzer doesn't show up when I built it instead i got a big yellow squared box saying its missing lua file etc.

hmmm, weird, will look into that tomorrow.

"Let there be panic!"

EDIT: It was a slight typo on my part, will edit posts to reflect this.

ozka
    Check every path, there is probably a type error somewhere.

Is it still not working?
    EDIT: Found it, update will commence. I wrote this at 2 AM in the morning, so some typos were bound to sneak in, I was just hoping they wouldn't sneak in as typos in paths

8. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #8
    I just removed all requirements from the 105mm in Corsix' mod studio, by setting all "required" fields to "required_none", and that's pretty much all you have to do.

Which file did you do that in, Moe? The weapon file, or the one I provided above?

Snake PH
    i have the same problem as tankkiller99
    can any1 help me

Snake PH
    please i need help i see only a yellow bow

Sadden

In response to Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Moe
    I just removed all requirements from the 105mm in Corsix' mod studio, by setting all "required" fields to "required_none", and that's pretty much all you have to do.
    This is what he means:

Go to the following entries and change "requirements\required_player_upgrade.lua" to "requirements\required_none.lua"
    </p>
    • attrib\ebps\races\allies\vehicles\m2a1_105mm_howitzer.rgd\GameData\requirement_ext\requirement_table\required_1\Reference
    • attrib\ebps\races\allies\vehicles\m2a1_105mm_howitzer.rgd\GameData\requirement_ext\requirement_table\required_2\requirement_table_1\required_1\Reference
    • attrib\ebps\races\allies\vehicles\m2a1_105mm_howitzer.rgd\GameData\requirement_ext\requirement_table\required_2\requirement_table_2\required_1\Reference
    The same holds true if you want to make the Flak 88 buildable for the Axis:

• attrib\ebps\races\allies\vehicles\88mm_flak_36.rgd\GameData\requirement_ext\requirement_table\required_1\Reference

Darkelf's linked file is broken.

The howitzer appears as a build option, but it ends up a yellow box with the missing .lua message tankkiller99 mentioned, and the object is not usuable.

Triplejolt
    I never got the 105mm Howitzer building to work either so I did like Moe and Sadden did. Use Modstudio and remove the requirements under requirement_1 and requirement_2. Modify the population_ext and you should be able to build the Howitzer any time you want or have the necessary resources.

Let me know if you want me to post the entire string

Prowl
    Is there any difference in the behaviour of the howitzer in this tutorial?

If not simply stripping the requirements is far far easier and has been covered in these forums already.

Triplejolt
    I think darkelf tried to make a building in the same way the MG nest was built and without the upgrade requirements, but somehow it's not working. And since this How-to seems incomplete, I thought I'd provide an easy and understandable way of doing a workaround. Not everyone reads the .rgd's and .lua's like they do comicstrips

fortunate
    Ok, i got what i want buildable by engineers (aa guns to be exact). But when i build it no one can use it. I cant capture it or anything, any ideas?
    Last edited by fortunate; 24th May 07 at 6:36 PM.

Stahlsta210
    I did this but also get the .lua yellow box? I their another tut that does this a wat that works better? It seems like many people are having the same problem.

Thanks for this tutorial! It made my game much better with easy access to artillery support.

Thread Information