Safe fan speed and temp?

Safe fan speed and temp?

I've been using speedfan to monitor my exhaust fans and temperature. I've been wondering if 300-400 rpm is a normal fan speed to cool a case. This fan also has a problem of starting.

I've also wondering if it’s safe for a CPU (CPU in question) to jump from 120F (49C) to 155F (68C) and stay there for hours. It usually jumps when I run a game, but recently I've seen it at that high temperature just when I had firefox open.

Are these safe numbers for a computer to run on?

2. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #2
    That depends on your fan, entirely.

As for the temperature, 68 C is a bit too high. Open your case, and clean out all the dust that has probably accumulated in and around the fan.

You temperatures are at an unsafe level for a Pentium 4. I strongly recommend that you clean and dust off your fans and reapply a fresh layer of thermal paste to your CPU after makeing sure to clean off the old layer.

As for the fan that has problems starting can you confirm that it's a chassis fan or the fan on your CPU's heatsink?

He might not even have thermal paste on his processor; thermal pads are fairly common as well. I have that same processor, and normal temperatures for me are 40-42C idle and 58-60C under load on average. Your processor will run safely at those temperatures you reported, but it probably wouldn't hurt to bring them down a little. They aren't rediculously higher than normal, but I'm sure a simple case-cleaning will bring them down to something more reasonable.

I didn't think the dust would make that much of a difference, since the case has a filter and the computer is not that old. But I did a quick cleaning and it dropped the temperature some. The processor does have thermal paste. I did have quite a problem getting the heat sink in when I put the computer together. I'll watch the temperature and see if it stays. I don't know if this would change the temperature readings, but I did just get the newer verison of speedfan.

The fan that has problems starting is the rear case fan.

6. Child's Play Donor  #6
    What is the power source for the case fan? Motherboard connection or direct to the PSU?

Its connected to the motherboard.

8. Child's Play Donor  #8
    Those connections are often speed regulated by the motherboard so if the CPU is getting hot, I would expect the fan to speed up some. If the fan has a molex connector to give you the option of connecting it directly to the power supply, try it. It sounds like the fan is either going bad or it's not getting enough current. Perhaps you can test the motherboard connector with another fan to check that.

Otherwise I would replace the fan. They are not that expensive.

Thanks for all the help. I now can add another +1 to my computer.

Thread Information