Reviving Citadel Paints?

AlphaHammer

Reviving Citadel Paints?

Is it possible to resurrect my citadel paints? if so can you please tell me how? Thanks in advance.

OH BTW. New to the forum.

first of all, welcome!

you really should define exactly what you mean by revive, do you mean that the paint is dried up, because if its in a solid form, just buy another one, but if it's only starting to get a chunky but still has a bit of a liquid form, just add a drop or two of water.
    This is Caketown!

AlphaHammer
    So you're saying if its in a solid form, all hope is lost, right??

Damn thats just my freaking luck, 80 dollars down the drain man....

yea citadel paints are water based acrylic paints, so when they fully dry they are pretty much plastic with pigment in it, no way to revive em. Sorry dude.
    Current Projects - Alpha Legion
    Chaos Marines Squad finished, Rhino done, Lord Painted, and Defiler in progress.

Fire? Just a thought but Melting them and then adding Water could make them liquid enough to use them again, of course that's just an Teory, never done it, but if they are useless why not try it? it could work.
    Pro-Skub, supporting the idea of new heroes for the Last Stand as DLC since 1967.
    Mod forum: SWR

panzerd18
    Water is the go

dodger
    I would suggest not melting them. If their acrylic wouldn't that release toxic fumes?
    I dont want to put GW out of bussiness (is that possible) but most craft shops have acrylic paints which are cheaper. My brother bought twice a tube of about twice as much fr about half the price. It also svaed on petrol, my nearest GW is a quite far away.

Seeing as we have a topic on paints oipen can I ask is Goblin Green meant to go yellowy? I have to keep mixing it up because I keep getting yellow streaks.

Yeah mine does that, its just when you leave the paint still for a while it starts to seperate. Just give it a good shake before you open it.

If they really are dry, it's pretty much game over, water wll do nothing and as for burning them, I'd not let the thought enter my head to be honest. Toxic fumes and fatal house burning down mishaps spring to mind. Certainly I doubt you'd manage to do anything but make the situation worse.

Possibly, just possibly, might be worth trying paint thinner or white spirit but I'd not hold my breath to be honest. How did they get into such a state?

chances are its the older citidel paints: the hexagonal ones with the screw caps. I gave a lot of my paints to my mate, when i stopped painting, and when i got them back the only ones that were borked, were the screw caps. Even the 15 year old round tubs were fine, with the flip lids but the screw caps were all dryed.
    M-O-O-N that spells warhammer

In your HEAD! MWAHAHA! [Whoa... lotsa room in here...]
    I've had some luck with boiling water, and letting it sit. They may be acrylics, but I believe they're also waterbased.
    The Shadow Dragon Legion heralds your end Heretic. We shall salt the earth with your ash.

From what I understand they consist of water, pigment and plastic (acrylic). When the paint dries basically the water evaporates leaving coloured plastic in a layer over the model.

I hadn't thought of boiling the water, might work!

antinice
    You'll tank more than $80 of time and opportunity trying to revive these paints and I don't think you can. Imagine how easy stripping minuatures would be if you only had to boil them.

If money is the issue try a less expensive paint. I believe Vallejo are about half the price per unit and well respected.

AlphaHammer
    So the screw caps are responsible for the paint to dry soo quick right?

Is there way to avoid the paints from gettin dry?

Better yet, are they going to release tube paints again or keep manufacturing the crappy hexagonal holders?

Catt
    How about a microwave? j/k (ish)

The really ancient Citadel Paints are a lot easier to resurrect than the somewhat newer hexagonal series. But as has been said essentially once they are dried up they're not possible to revive.

I still have some from ~10 years ago that are still up and running. The metalic ones have separated and gone wierd (and reek) but the others are alright.

Actually with a few notable exceptions (metallics for which GW are nigh on unbeatable), vallejo really are better quality being thinner with a higher concentration of pigment and, joy of joys, a dripper top!

Dr. Awesome
    When I run out of a certain colour, I try and mix as best I can. Even if it doesn't look like the origanal, it encourages me to come up with new colours and mixes.

The GW paints are not worth trying to revive, once they go solid they are plastic, and theyll never be the same again after that. It has to do with the basic chemistry of the acryllic paint.

Chaos n00b
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but I asked it before in a relevant thread and wasn't answered, and there have been a few equally off-topic questions already:

I'm interested in trying out Vallejo paints. Can I find them in Arts stores or will I have to order online?

Tyson765
    Try a hobby store or art supply store.
    I got the same amount of GW paint for half the price.
    The only trouble is if your trying to do a codex paint sceem...
    They don't say what color so try taking a codex in and matching the shades in the store and the shade in of color in the codex.

Chaos n00b
    No, you misunderstand me. I know I can pick up acrylic paints in a craft store. That's a given. I'm talking specifically about Vallejo paints, which have the colors written on them and are often used in alot of the tutorials I've been checking out recently as I research for my next project. I have no problem ordering them online but I just want to make sure they're not sold in arts stores first.

I have never found any problems getting hold of Vallejo paints in arts stores. If you can't, I.D gaming have an online ordering service with tint matching pages so you can see before you buy. They actually look pretty close to the paints themselves.

Okidus[PCE]
    try adding liquitex flowaid

GW have - to my knowledge - never released tube paints.

And teh only version which dried up so horribly fast was the screw lids, which have now been fixed.

The paints can be saved up to the point where you can tap them with a brush-end and get a solid noise. Water and vigourous mixing, then more water and mixing.
    My homepage

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
    1. Never give out all the information.

jp.hebbel
    SilverTabby is right, I just did this with all my paints. I havent touched those paints in ages because they had been left out to dry for a couple weeks (years ago) and I saved 15 of 16. When I checked my foundation paints, they were all mostly wonderful and only needed a bit of water and some shaking.

@ jp.hebbel - As a Moderator, I can see you're fairly sporadic in contributing here. Generally, you should check the last posting date in a thread (top left corner of the post, depending on the Forum skin you're using) before adding to it, and the rule is to either leave "dead" threads alone or if your contribution is actually "worthwhile," then post but be prepared to "heckled," so to speak, for thread Necromancy - i.e. raising the dead (thread).

Yours is a valid contribution, relatively speaking, and it's a useful thread - I'm going to let it float again as opposed to sending it back to the depths. I'm hoping I don't need to lock it as a result, but that would more depend on anyone posting after this... if at all.

I don't know if I should post this now, but:
    If your paints are the goopy, extremely thick kind of dry, not completely gone but really unusable, you can revive them. You just microwave them for a very short time ( only 10-ish seconds ). If you want to just use them once then that all you need to do, and in a few days they'll be completely dried and dead. The microwave makes it thin and slightly runny ( essentially thinned paint ). If you want them to last for a while though ( well this worked for me ), add lots of water and mix it up until it's just colored watered. In a few days it will have the consistency of an old paint and will last for a while.

If you use a 75% water, 25% rubbing alcohol it will revive dried Citadel paint even better. I also use a few drops of extender medium for the paint to last longer, and give it a little more workability when painting the model itself.

When you're re-mixing an old paint, it's really helpful to throw something in the pot with the paint, like useless bits from metal models or small glass beads (the smaller and heavier the better). Aggressive shaking with added liquids (see above advice) with these small bits in the pot will yield a better consistency and will save you from partially restored paint (inconsistent pigmentation, "chunky" finishes).

It's very undesirable to microwave a paint, unless it's necessary. Like Antoni said, it restores the paint briefly but the pot will seize up after a day or two. Definitely a last resort.
    "Alright Kiff, let's show them what a bloated, runaway defense budget can do!" - Zapp Brannigan

30. Tabletop Senior Member  #30
    Bunny Hugging Archaeologist Hammerguard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethero
    When you're re-mixing an old paint, it's really helpful to throw something in the pot with the paint, like useless bits from metal models or small glass beads (the smaller and heavier the better). Aggressive shaking with added liquids (see above advice) with these small bits in the pot will yield a better consistency and will save you from partially restored paint (inconsistent pigmentation, "chunky" finishes).

It's very undesirable to microwave a paint, unless it's necessary. Like Antoni said, it restores the paint briefly but the pot will seize up after a day or two. Definitely a last resort.
    Just to second what Seth has said, here's a tutorial from Santa Cruz Warhammer that shows how to revive GW paints using an 'agitator'.

Thread Information