Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

[DC] The Hyperion Peaks

Sargeant
    I'm having real trouble taking out the mek shops and hq's quickly with chaos v orks, they just have so many slugga boyz and killa khans just wiping out my everything, i'm starting to wonder if i should leave this map until say, eldar take it?

I had major trouble as well wih Chaos, i couldn't beat it. If Eldar are close to taking it, might be a good iea to leave it, yeah.

Moriturus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimas
    I have 90% of the Map. Yes, I have the Psykers.

I keep getting backstabbed by MANZ, Squiggoths, and Wartrakks, which conventiently go right for the artillery and Sentinels.
    If you have 90% of the map, you should have destroyed most of the unit-producing buildings. Get those first, especially in the southern group of buildings (that seems to be the group that puts out the upgraded stuff).

DakkaThrakka
    Thanks to the posters in this thread who posted advice for chaos. After three attempts at a difficulty 10 Ork held map (on normal) I managed to pull it off.

I ran my Daemon Prince and 2 Defilers right into the lower centre base and destroyed their Mech lab and Boyz Hut very quickly (the Daemon Prince absolutely tears through Ork buildings).

I ran my Honour Guard (3 raptor champions, 3 CSM champions, 2 'zerker Champions and the Obliterator Champion), possessed (w./ Lord and Sorceror attached) and Predators straight down the left of the map to the relic base, and totalled the major buildings quickly there as well (Predators on burn it down, everything else on crowd control). Gorguz and honour guard were there but my possessed and Lord shredded him (especially after the sorc. doombolted him).

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to run straight to these bases, ignoring any intervening Waaagh banners or LPs. In my first two attempts I attacked moved my forces and by the time I got to the bases I was staring down Kan spam, MANZ, huge numbers of boyz and Gorgutz. It was not pretty.

After that there was only a small central base which fell quickly to combined forces, then I got my honour guard and cultists capping points to stop the gretchin around the map rebuilding and swept the area.

I'm a bit worried that the strength of the area is now 2 (I reinforced with a defiler after capturing). Has anyone actually had to defend this territory (or any of the other special territories for that matter)? Do you get a load of free buildings to repel the invaders?

dirk

Beat the DC Campaign on Hard with SM, but...

I finally beat the DC campaign on hard with the Space Marines, but thoughout the game, I never was able to take the Hyperion Peaks (HP) from the Orks. Having the Command Honor Guard was enough to take out all other tough areas. In HP I executed a rapid concentrated assault and managed to take out the nearest base, but the squiggoth gore and ork hordes would do me in shortly thereafter. I tried splitting my forces as well, but I never managed to take out even one base with this approach. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to nail the Hyperion Peaks as an SM on hard? Normal is easier. Thanks.
    - Dirk "Nullus secundus!"

daysleeper
    Took me a couple of attempts as SM and I'm not the most serious player, Used the LRs with a couple of basic SM squads to rush the relics thus stopping squiggoth production. Everyone else trundles round the north then gang everything up. Punch with the LR's follow up with the Dreads and try not to loose entire HG. Destroy one base then pause to repair vehicles while infantry, termies and HG soak up the next wave then punch again.

I finally beat the DC campaign on hard with the Space Marines, but thoughout the game, I never was able to take the Hyperion Peaks (HP) from the Orks. Having the Command Honor Guard was enough to take out all other tough areas. In HP I executed a rapid concentrated assault and managed to take out the nearest base, but the squiggoth gore and ork hordes would do me in shortly thereafter. I tried splitting my forces as well, but I never managed to take out even one base with this approach. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to nail the Hyperion Peaks as an SM on hard? Normal is easier. Thanks
    In every base, use your vehicles to take out the Barracks/VehicleProducer/HQ. In short, you have 9 buildings to take out, after which it's a mop up. They don't rebuild them, so target them fast and hard, preferably bottom and right areas first.

Use your Librarian's Smite, WotE/Infantry to deal with enemy units. Vehicles go for buildins i mentioned.

And before you ask, yes it was on Hard. Assault Terminators/Force Commander with Hammer/Chaplain under WoTE handle Killa Kans very nicely with their stun, so don't worry about them ripping up your infantry, smite handles slugga boys with ease.

Melta Gun with the Force Commander is the most wonderfully broken thing ever.

You'll "melt" through Waaagh! Banners and Listening Posts in seconds apiece.

There's no reason to keep your FC on Melee once you get the almighty Melta Gun.

Also, Whirlwind > all da Boyz, and even slows down Killa Kans.

Oh God, and how could I forget the Almighty Whirlwind? It makes your ranged units immune to tie up. Upgrade up you Veteran Tacs with appropriate tools (I prefer Missle Launchers to speed up Killa Kan killing), and the Whirlwind will bounce green and red all over the map.

Lupuss
    Tried that mission many times with the Necrons and IG on normal difficulty, I kept getting destroyed :/

Then I succeeded with the SM (Whirlwind FTW, and the Machine Spirit ability helped a lot!). So I tried again with the Necrons and IG, success both times

I also did it with the Tau, it really was too easy. The key to victory is to destroy the unit-producing buildings ASAP.

The real secret, though, is to do that mission early in the campaign, when the map isn't reinforced

kungming2
    I've played the campaign as Eldar and Necrons, and never once have I gotten it attacked. The Orks and Tau (the closest races to the territory) tend to leave it alone and attack other territories, for some odd reason - quite surprising, really that the Orks don't want it back.

Quote Originally Posted by DakkaThrakka
    Thanks to the posters in this thread who posted advice for chaos. After three attempts at a difficulty 10 Ork held map (on normal) I managed to pull it off.

I ran my Daemon Prince and 2 Defilers right into the lower centre base and destroyed their Mech lab and Boyz Hut very quickly (the Daemon Prince absolutely tears through Ork buildings).

I ran my Honour Guard (3 raptor champions, 3 CSM champions, 2 'zerker Champions and the Obliterator Champion), possessed (w./ Lord and Sorceror attached) and Predators straight down the left of the map to the relic base, and totalled the major buildings quickly there as well (Predators on burn it down, everything else on crowd control). Gorguz and honour guard were there but my possessed and Lord shredded him (especially after the sorc. doombolted him).

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to run straight to these bases, ignoring any intervening Waaagh banners or LPs. In my first two attempts I attacked moved my forces and by the time I got to the bases I was staring down Kan spam, MANZ, huge numbers of boyz and Gorgutz. It was not pretty.

After that there was only a small central base which fell quickly to combined forces, then I got my honour guard and cultists capping points to stop the gretchin around the map rebuilding and swept the area.

I'm a bit worried that the strength of the area is now 2 (I reinforced with a defiler after capturing). Has anyone actually had to defend this territory (or any of the other special territories for that matter)? Do you get a load of free buildings to repel the invaders?
    I've played as Eldar and Necrons, and I haven't seen anybody attack it yet at all.

A. Val'Navat
    I had the Tau attack Pavonis once when it was under my control. It appears that when such a province is attacked, you are taken into a skirmish with no special objectives.

I did the Hyperion Peaks with Necrons and succeeded only after owning nearly the entire world (which means I had nearly all the possible Honor Guard units.).

You can always expect 2 Squiggoths to appear at once, backed up by 2 Looted Tanks at once. As Necrons, you can possess the LLRs for good measure.

Really, is there any argument anymore that this is NOT a broken map?

Really, is there any argument anymore that this is NOT a broken map?
    Yeah, I think it's really poorly designed as a mission and more frustrating than it's worth. In some match-ups on hard difficulty, I believe it's impossible to win. I've done Tau vs. Orcs and Eldar vs. Necrons on hard and couldn't win for anything, though I think I'm a decent DoW player. One problem may be that I tackle this map fairly late in the game when it has a 9 or 10 rating. But still, it really shouldn't be this hard. I suppose, like other people, I could beat it on normal difficulty with 2X health for my units, but this would take the challenge out of the rest of the campaign.
    Download my DoW maps "Redemptus Reloaded" (8p) and "Shrine of Sephreus" (2p) here.

funnie, when I played the necrons attacked that province and they took it under their control, so when I arrived I took it away from them very easely B)

If you were unfortunate enough to have Orks reinforce the area as IG, It is literally impossible to take, even with 92% of Kronus under your control.

I don't know who in Relic designed this map, but I believe I speak for every DC enthusiast who hates this map as much as I do when I say they can fornicate themselves with an iron stick.

Dolmen
    I'm sure that just as it's possible to adopt a poor approach in the actual battle, that it's possible to fight a poor campaign by allowing certain territories to get reinforced beyond reason.

If you know that as IG you're going to have trouble with this province, it should be your highest priority to take the province before it gets too heavily reinforced, that'll mean taking the spaceport and beaming in as early as you can instead of leaving it until last.

.. if that approach still doesn't work, then yeah, it's broken

I completed this map with every race on Hard, and lost once each for Eldar, Orks, and CSM. Mostly because I tried splitting my troops; something only IG, Necrons, and Tau can really afford to do because they get STUPIDLY, and I mean STUPIDLY overpowered troops. Two Baneblades? Hammerheads and Great Knarlocks? Two Monoliths with teleport? WTF? Compare this to the paltry Chaos force of 4 tier 2 preds and you see what I mean.

Effectively, you have to pause the game in the beggining, put appropriate troops into proper control groups, and rush. There is no other way, dedicate a section of your troops into clearing infantry/vehicles, and the other to clearing their Producer buildings ASAP.

Okay, finally pulled this off as Eldar against Necrons on Hard difficulty (the Peaks had a defense rating of 10). Thanks to whoever suggested rushing the relic. That was the key for me. Here's my suggestions.

--Don't bother capping strategic points in the beginning. Just reinforce your units, hotkey the appropriate groups (I hotkeyed ranged vehicles and melee units separately), and then rush the base in the south with the relic. Don't divide your troops; you'll need all of them. And by all means, avoid fighting two different bases at the same time!

--As you are taking the southern base, be careful not to lose your major vehicles if possible. I eventually lost all of mine (I only started with 1 bonesinger for repairs!), but still got good use out of the Fire Prisms, Wraithlords, and Vypers. Be sure to take out all turrets and upgraded listening posts that you come across. Necron turrets are especially strong.

--After taking the southern base, head directly north past the critical point and take that base. Again, take out everything that can fire at you, like turrets and listening posts. You'll have to deal with some Necron troops like infantry, vehicles, tomb spiders, and of course the lord, but you should have enough firepower to handle them (they tend to sneak up behind you). Your hotkeys will come in handy for turning concentrated fire on enemies quickly.

--After taking out the northern base, go directly to the eastern base and take it out. It's the last one. Again, take out turrets and upgraded listening posts first, and then troops and buildings. By this time, I had lost about all of my vehicles, but Khaine was still doing his thing (though low on health).

--Once all three bases in the valley are destroyed (and don't leave the valley before destroying each one-by-one, or else they'll have a chance to get stronger), come out of the valley and go to each of the listening post along the perimeter of the map. You'll find a few upgraded posts and turrets, along with the occasional summoning building and energy core. You'll home free at this point.

--Additional tips: Don't be too concerned about scarabs continuing to cap listening posts after you've destroyed the three bases. Listening posts don't count as buildings in this mission, and the scarabs seem to be very plentiful even after the monoliths are destroyed. Also, after destroying the three bases, you should take a number of points (including the relic and the critical) in the valley. If you have any builders left, I would say not to build listening posts; that requistion is better spend reinforcing depleted squads (you will almost certainly not have any power left at this time).

I don't know if this strategy would work against the hard Orks. Probably so if you took out the base near the relic first so that they couldn't build squiggies. But that's the trick to this map in my opinion. So, in a nutshell, reinforce your units quickly, hotkey ranged and melee groups, and rush the southern base and take the relic. Avoid fighting against two bases at once and don't divide your forces (especially Eldar).

Oh, by the way, the forward bases reward is definitely worthwhile. It's the best privilege, second only to perhaps the spaceport. It let's you more or less start in tier two if you have enough resources to spend on buildings before a skirmish.

DrCloud
    First post, wooh!

Just finished this map with Imperial Guard on medium. I was up against orks and, since there were only a few territories left, it'd been reinforced up to strength 10 for a while. I must admit that I wasn't really looking forward to it after some of the things I'd heard...

Needless to say, I got completely hammered the first couple of times I tried.

I think the main problem I had with doing mission with IG was that the GM squads were largely useless; I had a distinct shortage of leaders (honour guard commissar and psyker, plus a couple of psykers you're given - no priests), GMs can't buy any weapons, and there's obviously no way to upgrade them with handy things like sat targetting, armour, etc. Also, reinforcing the only squads that cause any real appreciable damage (ogryn, kassies, CS) costs power, so I soon ran out of that.

For my first attempt, I slowly worked my forces down the right side of the map in one big mass, taking points and building LPs on them. My guys got mobbed by the time they approached the middle base, and since I hadn't bothered with the relics I ended up fighting 3 or 4 squiggoths before I gave up.

Second time around, I went straight for the base at the bottom of the map, stealing the relic in the process. That worked better, but I hadn't bothered with the relic on the right (I foolishly figured the orks wouldn't take it) and, by the time my guys were heading back to the centre of the map to stomp base number 2, hordes of orks were present and squiggoths were making regular appearances. To round things off, as soon as my forces had moved away from the relic, a bunch of stormboyz jumped in, broke the LP and stole it back.

Anyway, in time honoured tradition, I finally managed to complete the mission by not giving a damn. As soon as the map started, I ordered one Baneblade to move (not attack-move or anything clever like that) straight to the relic at the bottom of the map, and the other to move directly into the base in the centre. I figured that if they could roll in and knock down the troop-producing buildings before they got going, things would be okay. The rest of my forces followed behind the 2nd BB en masse. I didn't bother capturing points at all.

Unsurprisingly, it wasn't pretty. The BB I'd sent to the relic steam-rolled through the banners along the way, but got caught up in a huge mob of infantry. By the time it'd got near the southern base, a whole load of stormboyz had jumped in and surrounded it so thoroughly that it couldn't move. It was quite a sad sight. After a while it popped... but it did at least take out the mek shop and a bunch of smaller, inconsequential buildings first.

The rest of my forces enjoyed a relatively stress-free journey into the centre base. By leading with the BB and keeping everyone else back a bit, the tank soaked up most of the damage and everyone else could chip in when it looked like it was going to get overwhelmed and surrounded. A bunch of gretchin were just starting to build a Pile of Gunz when my troops arrived, so I guess they got a bit of a surprise.

I worked my way over to the base on the right in much the same way. Once that base had fallen, again without too much trouble, I spent a little time repairing the damaged BB. I had to laugh at the fact that the best the computer player could muster in the mean-time was a steady trickle of mad docs and sluggas - definitely better than hordes of Flash Gitz, MANZ, Kanz, Squiggoths and LLRs all over the shop.

Then it was simply a case of mopping up the final HQ, a nearby Boyz Hut (not sure why the computer player didn't seem to use that at all...), and all the banners and stuff I'd left behind in the rush to knock down the production buildings.

At some point I lost my hellhound (no Let It Burn ability anyway, so I didn't care that much), but everything else survived reasonably intact - even the sentinels, which came as a bit of a surprise. I don't recall if I saw any squiggoths, but if I did there couldn't have been more than one, so that was a definite improvement too.

So yeah, not clever, and I did lose a BB... but sometimes it seems that taking the dumb approach actually works.

Grey Area
    I've always known I'm not very good at this type of game...but to hear everyone saying "This is a really easy map with the Tau" is rally starting to get to me. Playing on the middle difficulty, I've had my butt kicked by this map SO many times, even when following the instructions given here. "Rush the bases"...yeah, that's great...except what do I do about the umpteen-gazillion Orks who surround all my vehicles in about two seconds flat so that they can't actually MOVE anywhere, or the teleporting Ork boss who jumps right on top of my Hammerheads and turns them into scrap in about two seconds?

So...no comments about "Oh Dude, you must be REEAALLY rubbish"...I KNOW that...but a bit more constructive advice might help...I fought my way all the way through Dawn of War and Winter Assault in about 5 days...Dark Crusade seems to be more of a difficulty cliff than a difficulty curve...

Agreed, DoW and WA never had you in any blatantly impossible missions.

But, with Tau, Hyperion Peaks isn't so bad. The trick is knocking down enemy unit-producing buildings as quickly as possible. Tau have firepower enough that orks shouldn't be getting anywhere near you with anything other than a squiggoth.

If I were you, I'd send my Gnarlocs down towards the base with the relic at mission start. Crush the production buildings and move on.

Whatever the Gnarlocs fail to kill before they go down should be easy pickings for what you have left, especially your Hammerheads.

Remember: unit-producing buildings die first.

in an engine that "runs on hate and tears"
    finished this map as ig,sm,necrons, and just completed as eldar.

somehow i always get creamed if i go left first don't know why.
    1 group your forces into cc vehicle, shooty, and jump (if you have them)
    2 attack quickly and kill a base repeat as quickly as possible.

with eldar i loaded my firedragons into a falcon jumped all my vehicles plus my two hg warp spiders into the center attacked to the right with my other forces. hesitating even for a second can mean your doom capture lp's but don't upgrade them, you'll need that power for repairs.
    i would destroy center base first go straight across and destroy the next base, rally and repair destroy third base as fast as possible then destroy the rest of the buildings with *troops that don't cost power* if at all possible you should be able to repair those and use your more pricey units to strike heavily defended areas (if they still exist)

necrons jump the monoliths into the center kill kill kill
    ig i went up against necrons for this one beware the nightbringer!!! (they get three)
    space marines this shouldn't be a problem 2 land raiders loaded with termies leads the assault hg assault kills buildings jumps away to cap comes back does it again
    tau i lost <shrugs> had to win the game without the map for fear of setting the house on fire with my steady stream of curses

again getting to grips with the orks before they get t4 units or just a buttload of them is best

I've always known I'm not very good at this type of game...but to hear everyone saying "This is a really easy map with the Tau" is rally starting to get to me. Playing on the middle difficulty, I've had my butt kicked by this map SO many times, even when following the instructions given here. "Rush the bases"...yeah, that's great...except what do I do about the umpteen-gazillion Orks who surround all my vehicles in about two seconds flat so that they can't actually MOVE anywhere, or the teleporting Ork boss who jumps right on top of my Hammerheads and turns them into scrap in about two seconds?
    Then what this means is that you have fundamental problems with your micromanagement, i.e. ability to properly place, move, target, overall control units in battle. Because the advice "Rush the bases and take out the 3 key structures in each" DOES WORK and the Orks (or any other race) don't have the time to bog you down in units and vehicles.

What do you want?

Here, as basic as can be done:

When the map begins, immediatly pause it, and group your units to let's say their purpose. Put units you plan on taking out the three producer buildings with in 1 group, put units you plan to use on holding off the enemy wave in another group, and put the units with specific purposes (such as tanking, ability use, anti-vehicle) in the last groups. At most, you should use 4-5 control groups with specific roles. Then, after your control groups are selected, equip the appropriate powerful units (such as giving Crisis Suits Flamers or Missles) with approriate reinforcements/upgrades and SAVE THE GAME.

Result? You are ready to get cracking with about 3 seconds of gametime passed. Now, just attack move to the lower left entrance to the pit between three bases; you shouldn't encounter detering resistance until you actually make it to the entrance. Quickly distract the ork forces, order your anti-vehicle group to take out Killakans/Wartruckks, and send your units designated to owning the production buildings in the Ork base with the relic. Your first priority is the Mech Bay (vehicle production), then Boys Hut (infantry production), and then Settlement (Last source of infantry production). After which, quickly roll out and end the production in the base to the upper-right side of the one you just disabled.

Result? Majority of your damage dealing forces should be standing; and enemy production is directly forced into the last base, the one in the middle, which you can easily mow down with superior firepower without worrying about being flooded with killakans, squiggoths, etc. from the back. Once you decapitate the last ork base, it's mop up time.

This was on Hard, too.

Grey Area
    Well...for whatever reason, this time it worked...maybe I just wasn't using pause enough...thanks for the advice.

frickenmoron
    I just did this map not even 30 minutes ago with the eldar vs orks on hard, I had a full honor guard which REALLY helped out. I grouped my vehicles into one group, my seer council/shee exarchs and avatar into another one, gave the spiders + 2x exarch their own group and kept the fire dragons/dark reaper exarchs and rangers in their own groups too. I immediately made a beeline with all units except the standard rangers for the RIGHT entrance to the crater. the rangers were on capping duty.

After some heavy resistance i manged to get into the center of the crater (the crit location) I kept my vehicles and other units to defend and sent in my melee group to deal with the production buildings of the big base in the middle, my fragon and reaper group kept mopping up with the banners. I used the warp spiders as mobile boss killers and vehicle destroyers (the exarchs haywire grenades help a ton, USE THEM!).

After i had mopped up the production buildings in the middle base i immediately got greeted by a squiggy from the south base and sent my seer councils and avatar to deal with it, backed by all other groups except the fragon/reaper which were still clearing out banners/gens in the first ork base. after i had cleared the squig/looted tank in the southern base i poured in and took out the mek shop asap, and moved on to the orky fort which is annoying >.>

Same deal as before, melee group wiped buildings, vehicles helped/guarded backdoor and the fragons mopped up with banners/gens. 2 of 3 bases down.

Another thing that really helped out is that i left the cloaked ranger vets on a slope on guard duty, they kept sniping away at all the orks the right hand base tried to mass, which kept them off my back essentialy.

The last base was overrun immediately, and i had won the map with like only 10% losses. The worst threats really are rocket banners to your vehicles.

I've got a horror story from the other day. Was playing on hard as Chaos.

I take the first base without too much trouble, and proceed to knock down the production facilities of the second. Unfortunately, at this point all I have remaining is my daemon prince. I hang back, let him regenerate, then move up and damage the remaining buildings. I then retreat, regenerate, and repeat ad naseum.

This worked great. The orks are down to no production facilities remaining, my demon prince has good health left, and I begin banner-hunting.

Then I run into a rocket banner.

The damn thing doesn't miss a single shot. When my prince is dangerously low on health, I run him away. However, the last shot the damn thing would have gotten hits, killing my prince and losing me the game.

I swore off campaign mode after that battle.

28. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #78
    Foxtrot Uniform Ifitmovesnukeit's Avatar
    Any reason why you didn't save it every time you took down an Ork outpost and survived?
    The hour is nearly upon us. My brothers, our foes draw near, and we have but one duty to perform. Our honour as Blood Ravens, as the Emperor's own Adeptus Astartes, is at stake, and we fight in His holy name. Let our enemies cower in bitter despair before the shadow of death, borne unto them by our righteous fire and steel. We are blessed with the glorious certainty, that no man ever died for Him that died in vain.

Because I'm stupid.

Any other dumb questions?

Muul
    What about necrons?
    I am playing Necrons ... could someone said the best tactic?

Teleport monoliths into Ork base.
    Win.

Muul
    Oh thx
    And what if I am playing Orks?

Hiro Protagonist
    NEAT TAU TRICK:

Have all the wargear. Drones will be needed.

Rush everyone at the critical location. Try to take out a few banners, but for the most part they will get owned.

Take your commander, call in sick, and get ready for the most grueling hours of your life.

The strategy is simple: inch toward a building close enough to fire, but far enough to still be infiltrated.

Wait for said building to die.

Rinse, repeat.

Eventually, you'll find that the Big Mek and the MANs will try to find you. If you run and jump quick enough, you will survive.

In the event you suck at the previous step, make sure you have healthy drones (1 of each).

Your Commander will lose health steadily, but do not fear. If you manage to time it correctly, you can get into a mob with a detector, then jump out as they slaughter the XV22. Your drones will be alive, and you will see a "add commander" button.

0/0 cost, 0 buildtime.

And just keep on going and going until every last goddamned building is blasted to bits.

Aredhel

Eldar on Easy vs. Orks

The way this thread was growing was one of the reasons why I decided to do the first Kronus campaign on Easy - and after I skirmished the map, I knew I wasn't wrong. I absolutely hated the way it's meant to be played. Plus, this was the only mission I needed to restart from a save, since I got dumbfounded when I saw 3 Seer Councils and an Avatar without my base in sight...

So, I capped 2 LP's while grouping my units in game, reinforced/upgraded, and decided to use the Honour Guard (complete but the 2nd Vyper) mixed with other squads and properly hotkey'd per assignments. I haven't read the tips posted here, but I've managed to use 2/3 of my army, Prisms included, to take out the relic on the left and the base in the centre - knew from the skirmish something nasty would probably be located there!

The trick that saved my arse was jumping over the invading Orky+Squiggy horde and shooting the green tide behind their lines lines, or from 2 directions.

PS: the Bonesinger was kept safe in on of the Falcons, guarded by Avatar + all (3) Ranger squads. Other than repairing the Prisms, the guy had a holiday! Though cowardish, I saw no reason, while panicking, to keep him out of the safest cover I could make.

Anyhoo, after finishing Hyperion, I was lucky I had just 2 more territories to take. Though so much easier than the experiences listed here, this mission was nervewrecking!!

Deztructor
    Tau vs Orks then Necrons
    Just attacked against Orks and failed with 12 buildings remaining, defence of Hyperion did not change resulting from my initial crippling assault. Neccies then took it from da Orks, I then took it from Neccies. Defeating the neccies was soooooo much easier. I have nothing to add to previous tactics other than supporting the advice of: sending in your big cc units first, everything else in support. Selecting groups while on pause was a great help as I didn't know of it until last night, yes I am new at DC. Old school SM player.

in an engine that "runs on hate and tears"
    as chaos: don't bother until you have ascended to a deamon prince i still lost with two deamon princes 4 preds and 4(3?)defilers.
    most of your army is cultists with two un-upgraded possesed squads let the possesed build a little (half strength) then attack with your defilers out front. i go down the east side using my princes as building smashers. destroy the center base and east base first.
    mass in the center wait for the squig to come out, kill it then attack with your princes into their base to destroy hq/vehicle buildings as fast as possible then if you can get them out to heal.
    a warboss will take forever to kill and with all the buildings shooting you'll lose too many troops to finish the game. this is where i failed. i let my princes die and my cultists were vaporized. once you've destroyed the main buildings carefully destroy the waaagh! banners then generators.

Dolmen
    Ok, here's a tactic I found worked well with chaos once you've taken out one of the bases (I actually started with the eastern base).

The computer tends to keep all it's force in one huge group and (this is the important part), it will go nuts any time you build an LP and send *everything* towards it - so don't build LPs unless you want to attract attention.

Similarly any time you attack something it'll send every unit towards that location (but won't pursue unless being fired upon).

Otherwise it'll leave you completely alone.

I grouped the cultists into a meatshield/decoy force (since they don't cost energy to replace, you have an unlimited supply), sent them to draw fire by attacking various banners/LPs, the computer will draw it's entire force away from the buildings leaving them unprotected.

Once the force shows up near the cultists, run them the hell away, similarly when your main force attacks the production buildings, once the force shows up, retreat.

You can play ping pong with the main body of the ork forces this way and destroy all the main production buildings insodoing.

Once they're down it's a case of hit and run against the main force (you don't want to get into a slug fest with the entire thing) and then you can take out the last few buildings at your leisure.

I'm having a lot of trouble against the Orks as Marines on this mission. I find my self completely swamped by the green buggers, than a big angry Squig runs riot through my force. I've completed this mission before as Marines against Necrons easily as the Necrons never seemed to attack me.

I'm playing on normal.

[4q]Dreams
    aside from when i attacked this province with only 3 chosen champions on hard ive never had a problem. i could handle everything but the squiggoth. 4 preds and a dp is poor army to start with though. defilers are weak and 4 cult squads? why??

ig i left my gm and bassies behind because i dont like bassies, just used my kasyrkins, command squad, ogryns, assassins and baneblades. easy win. never split your force up on hard though. take both sides is unimportant. what you want to do is have your bbs hold the middle while you base bash the smaller bases w/troops. as long as you have your best honor guard units (ie not the gm or any of the vehicles) then you're set.

chaos i'll have to get back to you on that one. on hard i might have to wait till I get a better honor guard. pity they have one of the worst honor guard units in the game.

[4q]Dreams
    i won on hard with chaos against orks, no honor guard units at all.

thx for the patch!

Calamir
    I just completed this mission relatively easily as Tau by following the advice given above: take all your forces and head for the relic at the bottom of the map. I didn't see a single squiggoth (thankfully).

Lones
    I'm not understanding how anyone using IG can struggle on this mission. I've done it on hard mode without losing a single unit. You have 2 baneblades, ignore your other units. Tell both baneblades to attack move the southern relic, when that base is destroyed one baneblade may be half health the other relatively unscathed so attack move the next base (doesn't matter which) leading with the one with the highest health.

Then repeat the same on the 3rd base, both baneblades should be no worse then 40% health, repair them up and send them out to clean any structures you may have missed, if it's orks all that should be left is power stations, listening posts and waagh banners. By far the easiest race to do Hyperion peaks with for me so far (done it with Orks and SM previously).

so is this officially easier for chaos in 1.2 now that the DP is a monster?

Rishathra
    I apolgize in advance for the text wall, I didn't expect my descriptions to get so wordy! There's some good stuff in there for players having trouble with the Peaks, so don't be too daunted by it!

So I've been working on my tactics for this level for a while now and I think I've got it down. I managed to beat it with all the races on hard and by the end it managed to become almost too easy, even with Chaos. Here are the things I feel make the process easier.

1. Make sure you attack it before the territory strength rises above 7. The difference between 7 and 8 on the skirmish territories is practically nonexistent, but on the Peaks, it is noticeable. Typically the territory takes around 5 or 6 turns to rise in level, maybe a little longer if another AI captures the territory before then. More on that later.

2. Move quickly. I am normally more of a slow, cautious player so I had a really hard time with this map at first, because I moved my forces slowly and carefully and made sure to cap all the points, etc. This is a very bad move for the Peaks. Cap two or three points at the start real quick so you have some req coming in to help with reinforcing, but don't overdo it. You don't need much, especially if you move fast. I typically separate my forces into two attack groups of roughly equal strength, send one to the southern relic, and the other over the top of the map to take out one of the other bases at the same time. You don't have to do it that way, the key is mainly to move quick. By the way, it's not the relic that gives the AI the ability to throw squiggoths at you, its the HQ itself. So once you take it out , you don't need to stick around to capture the relic, just quickly move on to the next base.

3. Take out unit producing buildings first. If they aren't in the way, ignore LPs and turrets, and definitely ignore gens and armory-type buildings, until the map is cleared, when you can mop up at leisure. A riskier, but sometimes effective tactic is to rush the HQs themselves, ignoring even barracks and vehicle producing buildings. I have noticed that this tends to sap the AI's 'willingness to fight.' They produce far less units, and become rather unaggressive towards you, giving you more time to rush the other bases.

4. Get the Necrons to capture the territory. Part of the difficulty of this territory is that the constant harrasing fire from all the ork buildings really hurts when you don't have a replenishable army. The previously mentioned tactics are much harder to pull off when you can't even ignore a Pile O' Gunz without it putting the hurt on your large, but limited army. With the Necrons in control, it almost becomes too easy, since you can simply just rush the monolith, ignoring all the other buildings aside from turrets, which will hurt if you ignore them but take little time to remove anyways. Necrons are also slow enough to build up that if you are fast enough, you will have to fight very few enemy units other than turrets. I remember one particularly good assault I did where all I fought other than turrets was one warrior squad that wasn't even fully reinforced.

It is actually quite easy to manipulate the Necrons into taking the Peaks, and not as random as you might think. The key is taking the Western Barrens as early in the game as you can, after Fury and the Starport of course. Once that is done the Necron AI is predisposed to going that direction. Just remember to save the game at the end of the turn. You might have to reload a few times to get around the annoying habit of the AI just staying in its base and not doing anything, but when it does move, it moves to take the Peaks every time.
    Last edited by Rishathra; 30th Jul 07 at 1:04 AM.

Deathguy3
    I just got my army and destroyed all of their building with no tatics

Vargo22
    What Deathguy said, march in, blow everything up, win. Simple as.

Bendial
    Does anyone know where I can find a map of this mission so I can know where the bases are and critical targets are? It's hard to devise a strategy when I don't know what I'm up against ... all I know is the last 3 times I ran this mission, I was overtaken by hundreds and hundreds of Orcs.

48. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #98
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    Nope, but just head south, also remember that they tend to rebuild their base.

Joe Bob Joe
    Chaos vs crons

(this was when i had no real sense of strategy, probly wat saved me.)

I just ran around with preds and defs looking for nec buildings and completely kiked the necs out.

driftwood

defending hyperion peaks?

If the AI attacks hyperion peaks after you've taken it do you get any starting base at all or does the AI pretty much automatically retake your hard won province if you're unlucky enough for it to get invaded?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information