HowTo: WorldBuilder: Starting Out

Fryloc

HowTo: WorldBuilder: Starting Out

Worldbuilding: Starting Out
    A noobs guide to the galaxy of making maps.
    By: Supaunknown

This guide will cover the basics of worldbuilding, including all of the different tools you'll need to be using, and helping you get on your way to become a professional mapper.

First of all. If you are the person that knows nothing about making CoH maps and would like to get into the subject keep reading. If you know what the basics are and efficiently know how to use most of the WB tools then stop reading now because this guide will give
    you little or no help at all. Also, you will need to Go into your Company of Heroes->WW2->Data->and add a Scenarios folder, and then add a MP and SP folder in the scenarios folder. This will be where you save your maps. The MP ones will go into the MP folder and the SP ones will go into the SP folder. Also a loading folder should be made inside the MP folder which will be required because you will need to put your loading screen files into this folder.Onto the guide.

The Basics

Hotkeys:
    Shift+H change height of objects.
    C+Move Cursor copy an object or decal/splat
    Shift+Move Cursor rotating objects or decals/splat

1.Finding the Worldbuilder.

The worldbuilder can be found in the company of heroes folder which is probably located in your program files folder.
    Look in the THQ\Company of Heroes folder and you will see a file called Worldbuilder.exe open that file and your in the worldbuilder.
    I know, it is easy, but you wouldn't believe how many people don't know where the worldbuilder is. From now on other than in titles the worldbuilder will be referred to as WB.

2. Setting up your Map.

Once you have the worldbuilder opened it is very easy to create your map.
    Go to File->New and then a screen will pop up asking you some questions.
    Depending on what type of map you want to make the size of the map will vary.
    The Terrain size will always want to be bigger than the playable area because if they are the same
    then the map will look like it is being played on a chess board and there will be no out of bounds.
    A decent size for a 1v1 map is about 256x256 playable area and 512x512 terrain size.
    Once you choose your map sizes you will need to choose the mod you want to use, and the default mod the game uses is Invasion of Normandy.

3. Putting Starting Positions

In order to play your map you will obviously need to have starting positions for your players, but you will also need to have map entry points for calling in units such as the pershing or tiger. You can see where your boundaries are for your map by going to Overlay->Toggle Show Playable Area. First, click on your object icon shown here. Look to the right, and click and double click ebps->gameplay and look for starting_position. There will be starting_position_2 through 6. All of the starting positions look different in game, but dont look any different in the worldbuilder. Click on the starting position and place is where you want your players bases to be, but make sure you assign them to players 1 and 2. Also look for the object named map_entry_point and under gameplay and place those where you want the callin units to come into the game. Onto the different tools.

The Tools

1. The Object Tool.

The object tool is used to place all different kinds of objects such as trees, buildings etc. The only way to really get to know the object tool is to experiment with all of the objects simply because of the fact that there are so many of them, but I will give some general information on what types of objects can be found where. All of your territory points can be found under ebps->gameplay as with your starting positions and entry points. If you are looking to put trees in they can be found unber ebps->environment->art_nature. Buildings can be found under ebps->environment->art_ambient->buildings, and your general objects for details, finalizing etc can be founder under ebps->environment->art_ambient->objects.

2. The Decal/Splats Tool.

The Decal and Splat tool are very similar. They both allow 2d textures to be placed on the ground to allow for you to add detailing to your map to make it look more random. Below are some examples of splats and decals.

As you can see there are various ways to use decals/splats which will be referred to from now on as DS. If you look at largest 2d texture it is a normal DS placed on the ground unedited, but the smaller versoin of the farm DS has been changed to be Optimum Size. There is a button above the selection screen named Optimum Size that changes DS to the size recommended for them to look good. Because I'm sure you'll agree that the smaller farm DS looks better than the larger one. There is also another way to edit DS. Below the Optimum Size button is an opacity bar which can change the opacity of the DS you placed. As you can see I made the mud puddle less opaque so it is harder to see.

3. The Tile Tool.

The tile tool is a very important tool in the worldbuilder. It allows for you to change the default ground texture and allows you to blend your terrain so it looks more realistic. Below is a picture dealing with the tile tool.

Pick a tile from the list and click icon circled in black to make a new layer of the tile you selected, and click on the tile you want to delete and click on the icon circled in yellow to delete the selected layer. The Strength bar is kind of like the opacity bar. You can move it up and down to set the opacity of the tile that you paint.

4. The Heightmap Tool.
    The heightmap tool is used for making hills, valleys, and carving out rivers. There are 4 different main functions to the heightmap tool, additive, subtractive, set value, and smoothing. Additive is obviously for adding slopes, and subtractive is obviously for adding valleys. If you insert the number of the height of the terrain you want you can use the Set Value tool to make set heights, and the smoothing tool is used for make nice, realistic looking hills.

5. The Spline Tool.
    The Spline Tool is a very useful tool and can be used to do many different things, such as making hedgerows, walls, roads etc. You can also combine objects and textures into the splines, and you can change the height on them. In order to place a spline you need to pick a texture or object, and click in 4 different places illustrated in the picture below.

Once you place your four different points you are able to make your spline by pressing enter. If you press the spacebar you can edit the indivdual parts of the spline by clicking on the circles and moving them to your liking.

Added on:
    I am going to go more in depth on explaining how to use the Spline tool because it is such a big part in maps. Many hundreds of splines can be used to make a map look very professional. Just take a look at the relic maps.
    Texture Splines

Texture splines have many different uses. They can be used to make an apple orchard, or can make a field or corn rows. It can be used to make roads, or tracks can be made. I will be explaining splines more in the picture below.

As you can see I circled three points of interest. When you look for a texture and find the one of your liking, you have to click assign and then there will be a green check mark next to the texture you are using. I circled a join on the spline to show that I have selected that and that I can move it around to my liking. In order to view the joints on your spline you have to select it and press spacebar. Make sure you check the texture box and the texture box only at the top of the spline tool.

Object Splines

Object splines can be used to make things such as fences, walls, hedgerows, etc. Object splines are made differently than texture splines but can still be moved and their joints can be changed in the same was as texture splines. Check out the picture below.

If you look at #1 I circled the box that says Random. If you are using multiple items in your object spline you can change order to random so they will appear randomly in the spline, but normally they will appear in the order that they appear in the list of objects.
    #2 is the box where you will see the different objects in your spline, and if you in wall mode or not. I'm not to sure what wall mode is about but I normally check the box when I'm making walls. #3 shows the spacing between each of the objects in the splines. If you are making hedgrewos you need to make sure the spacing is -.500 to -.500 so their are no gaps in the hedges; last but not least #4 shows the button that you need to click to add the object you picked to the list of objects that will be usd in the spline. Make sure you check the object box and the object box only at the top of the spline tool.

Object-Texture Splines

Combined splines of objects and textures can be very useful. Check out the picture below.

As you can see I combined the farm spline I made and the fence spline I made. In order to make a Object-Texture Spline you have to check both the texture and object boxes shown in the picture below the Object-Texture Splines title. Check those 2 boxes and then draw your spline like you normally would.

6. The Terrain Tool.

There is a link below to an in depth guide to placing your territories into your map. It can be very helpful and make your map professional.
    GUIDE

Other Links
    Eyecandy Guide: ShizzlePizzle - Here
    Viewing Retail Maps: Pickitup - Here
    Editing Buildings: XavierXI - Here
    Custom Map Installing: Maxxim - Here

Make sure you SAVE your map before you exit the worldbuilder, and if you wish to play your map make sure it is saved in the MP folder and you have -dev into the target line of the CoH shortcut.
    This concludes the noobs guide to the galaxy of map making. I hope it will be helpful to all you would be mappers. If anyone has any questions you can direct them here:
    email: snyeli@gmail.com
    xfire: snyelifryloc
    Tell me what you think!

NOTE: I will be adding onto this from time to time when I get more suggestions.

i'm sure this will help many of the beginner map makers. Good job .
    I Eat CoH for Breakfast :p

erasim
    Do you also have somthing on the nis tool?

Fryloc
    No, sorry. I havent even started to mess around with the NiS tool yet. SEems very confusing.

vinny1
    can any of you help me with making snow?

STEAL
    snow is not in the worldbuilder you have to skin the tiles yourself with photoshop or paint. If you havent skinned yet or even done a mod or played around with modding dont worry about snow. Also some think it will be in the new patch. Just remember if you do change a tile, and run that mod with the new tile every map that has used that tile will be affected and with the lighting on some maps the tile you skinned will look different.

Fatso
    i have just loaded a map, the creator made snow by using a sand "tile" (WTV you call it) and altering the light of the map, it is a pretty good illusion of snow.

Crixus
    Question, the US geological survey has a serries of data sets for the world terrian height, is it possible to use it for height importing in the world builder to put acurate terrian eleveation into the map as your base start point for modding?, used in the Civ series and RTW series to build maps, why not herer as well.

vesper
    This was a great help to me, but I still have an issue.
    Pressing enter doesent always create the spline ? i often have to mash enter up to 50 times before it reacts ? something fishing going on

Fryloc
    As far as the snow comment is, he used a sand_normal tile, and yes the lighting of the Tile is changed but not the overall map. As far as the heightmap importing goes yes, it is possible but I am not sure how to go about doing it, and to answer the question about splines, you need to make sure you place at least 4 points in your spline for it to actually work.

vesper
    Ah you need 4 points, feel rather silly now.
    Cant say I saw that documented anywhere.

Fryloc
    " Once you place your four different points you are able to make your spline by pressing enter."

Quoted from Guide.

Sprinkles
    this looks like it will help for the weekend as i may have nothing else to do and plan to learn this

thx!

trivan

3van

i'm looking worldbuilder.exe in my COH folder.but it'snt there.where do can i find it?

Fryloc, can you make a guide on how to make a basic day-night cycle for the default maps, pls? I'm still lost in doing it and hope a veteran mapper like you would be of great help.

How do you build bridges?
    wazzup wizard?

Thanks for the tut, thanks for taking the time, just what I needed to drive my wife crazy and my eyes to the brink.
    If stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

stingraywinston
    Arrrrr thankyou. Im pretty new to this building maps but got to grips with it pretty quick i think. Was wondering how to make decent hedgerows without those gaps in between, didnt realise you had to set to minus. Thankyou every little helps, hedgerows here we come lol.

I've got a possibly dumb noob question here. How can I take an existing custom map and add some troops to it so that there are already a number of existing troops to play with when the game starts? I downloaded a map that had this and thought it was a cool idea. Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Seabra233
    Can some one give me a link to download the worldbuilder

It comes installed with COH.. its located in COH folder

Seabra233
    i dont have it can you give me one

I don't know if this was asked before and maybe this is the silliest question on earth but if I start WB and try to make a new or try to open an existing map all I get many "path does not exist" errors and a shutting down notice. Unfortunately I can't post a pic of this crap within this posting...

First I thought it would be one of these annoying win7 things but on my xp pc it doesn't work either...

What may I'm doing wrong cause it seems that everyone else on this planet doesn't have probs with this proggy...?

To be honest as theres been a few issues over the years with worldbuilder and most of us correct them when things pop up, we can sometimes forget what causes certain things or confuse them with other issues. So for example in this case I could be wrong myself, but to my memory of this problem I think its a pipeline.ini problem. Which means if you have created a mod and are making the map within that mod, your modname has to be copied into the pipelin.ini file in your COH directory.

Heres an example of how its pasted into the pipeline file ( thats if I'm correct in what the issue is, if not, someone else will guide you to what it is. As this forum is great for community support)

[project:BattleshipMod]
    Global =0
    Parent = bia_engine
    Description = BattleshipMod.module
    DataSource = DataSrc\BattleshipMod
    DataSourceShared =
    DataIntermediate = IntDataSrc\BattleshipMod
    DataGeneric = DataGeneric\BattleshipMod
    DataBurn =
    DataFinal = BattleshipMod\Data
    DataPreview = Engine\Data
    LocaleFolder = BattleshipMod\Locale\English

So where mine says BattleshipMod, you would replace that name with your modname

Thread Information