Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

[SS] Horus Heresy MP| Jan.11: restarting HHMP; NO VISUALS! | (old PA2 DC build in OP)

[SS] Horus Heresy MP| Jan.11: restarting HHMP; NO VISUALS! | (old PA2 DC build in OP)

"There can be no bystander..."
    Armour marks mechanism reworked from the ground on; read from post #661 to #665.

Mod forums: http://horusheresy.proboards50.com

Finally, after some time being silent, dormant, back and gone again, this mod, formerly known as Dawn of Heresy, is definitively back on tracks.
    For those who didn’t know it from a few years ago, this mod intends to allow players to fight using the legions of the Horus Heresy, and since the timeline gets back to the 30th millennium, we also intend to get the older stuff in too, like the older armour suits, vehicles and weaponry to mention but a few.
    In fact, we intend to keep as close to the fluff as possible, using old references from the early years of WH40K and Epic, but also the very good illustrations made for the Horus Heresy card game by Sabertooth.
    The task ahead is far from being easy, since we intend to make all 18 known legions playable and have their own traits (pros and cons) which means a lot of coding… *cough*
    Oh and btw, to avoid any further confusion, we're not the alas defunct HH Campaign mod, so don't go spam Grabnutz with requests

Although seemingly well-endowed in the modelling dept, our team is in fact made out from several members from other mods who’ve decided to cooperate and share skills, experience and tasks depending on the moment. Therefore we can use all the hands and heads YOU can provide if you’re interested in this venture since we have a cruel lack of modders with unwrapping, texturing and animating skills…
    If you think you can commit such skills, PM me, Kresjah or Julian, or meet us on irc at the following:
    server = irc.hwcommunity.com
    channel = #horus_heresy

Generic comprehensive tech chart:

Tech chart

Eyecandy:

First of all, the armour marks: the Heresy has seen the development of multiple marks of armour which have all proved their usefulness but also their weaknesses; the players may therefore get 6 available marks, providing notable differences that can influence the game.

MkII 'Crusade' armour:

MkIII 'Armorum Ferrum'

MkIV 'Maximus' armour

MkV 'Heresy' armour

MkVI 'Corvus' (aka 'Beakie') armour; 'beakie' helmet courtesy of Delta7

Cataphracti (early Terminator) armour

Other models:

Techmarine (which we share with the 13th Company Mod)

Oldskool ASM 'beerkeg' jumppacks

Oldskool MkII Landspeeder
    Almost final (temporary and totally wrong color placements )

Pre-Heresy Jetbike (might not make it.. fate undecided)

Dreadnought MkI

Saturday Night Dread

Oldskool MkI Rhino

Whirlwind MkII

Predator MkI

Vindicator MkIb

Landraider MkI; still WIP (the texture was just something to put instead of the base model colour, just to see.. :P)

Pre-alpha buildings; subject to major changes

Here's also a possible loyalist UI main bar + map made by eFTy; this is still WIP and may change again.

The modding team: November '09 lineup

Kresjah – code sage, general tinkerer, dev
    Julian – modelling
    Lleman – mod caretaker, dev, fluffhead, designs
    Geodav - serious unwrapping (without you we're screwed )

Not forgetting the original members and contributors who’ve made some awesome work too:
    The founding fathers: BoredPilot & Kendo
    Delta7
    lokkee
    Lica/Dave
    eFTy
    Ali
    Alchemist101/Ben
    Inq. Ball
    Mudflap
    wartoon

While we’re at it, serious thanks due to:
    Stryer
    Alf
    Typhus22
    Geodav
    Thudmeizer

Notes:
    Regarding the Imperial Army, read here
    Regarding the Adeptus Custodes, read here
    Regarding the Sisters of Silence, read here

[Obsolete] Pre-Alpha 2 Downloads:

HHMP Pre-Alpha2 link
    Temporary MkII & MkIII armour teamcolour files (seriously recommended if you want to distinguish your troops from the opponents')
    Last edited by Lleman; 9th Jun 11 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Changed teaser pics, team lineup, tech chart.
    We look to the heavens so that one day our children may look back towards home.

|[TDR]|Myna
    1 quiwation, are the Primarchs in it? and are they going to be like super commanders for each legion or aren't they in it?

Well, atm we keep them aside. Some older 'incarnations' of this mod planned to get them in, but we prefer to focus on other things. Genetically super-enhanced leaders would be a very powerful asset but first things first, we gotta get the legions to be functional. Then, and only then will we consider adding other units/forces, like the Adeptus Custodes, the Sisters of Silence or the Imperial Army... and then maybe, the Primarchs.
    The future will tell.

Worsle
    That is a big update. Seems you have set your selves a very big task, your buildings are looking very good and so is all your heresy erra armour.

some buildings look like long term positions me likes alot

good luck

Exemplar
    Indeed, very large update.

Amazing work though. The pauldrons on the terminator look amazing. I also like your signature banner Lleman Russ.

Very good work !
    I love the buildings. And I must confess a soft spot for the early rhino...

Hehe, thanks for the early appreciative feedback
    Thank Julian for the buildings, he seems to have a very good affinity with them.
    @Compiler: stay tuned for other things of that kind... i won't tell anymore right now :P *tease, tease*

loving the beerkeg jump pack.
    I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

i best get started with the mod tools... (now that they are finally working for me) so i can make something to exchange for those jump packs. they are amazing.

(ofcourse i don't expect you to give me the jump packs. but everyone can dream :P)

Just a quick little thing to keep you appetized: one 'generic' version of the (un)famous 'brushhead' Captain model (and yes, it looks like the MkIII armour, ofc )

As for the general development of the mod, things are well in motion, with good work taking place these days to get all T1 done for a 'generalist' legion. However, we need UVmappers, texturers and animators badly to make this take real shape. Applications are more than welcome.
    Last edited by Lleman; 21st Jan 07 at 7:43 PM.

good looking mod, best i keep an eye on it, keep it going
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    UT40K - UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Exemplar
    I loved the "brush head" on the helmet.

Are there any versions of it where the "brush" is in the opposite direction? Slightly like the Spartans' crest helm maybe? Other than that, it good to hear that progress is being made.

Alternate Captain's helmets have been planned, however they're not on top priority list. This 'brushhead' will serve as, i said, as a generic Captain's helmet in the first builds of the mod and also, in a later stage, for all the legions about which documentation or minis of the officers don't abound.

Just a suggestion,why cant you guys combine the models you have made with the horus heresy campaign mod?They have made some primach,at least and a few couple other stuff.

It would make modelling easier and i dont have to see a 40k land speeder in 30k.

Esinhorn
    OMG you guys are the Real Deal.This is the Mod of my dreams.
    I collect a pre-heresy army that only use old models and you guys are dead on accurate.
    Please sign me up as a beta tester I play this game about 10-20 hours a week and only play as pre-heresy.

that cool what pre heasry chapter you play as or chaos before they are rotted and stuff
    Show me a fortress and I'll show you a ruin+++ Captain Eddan Bourne,
    No. 2 Assault Company, Silver Skulls +++

Fear me, for I am your apocalypse

Oh my, am i late answering for some...so, here goes:

@ Esinhorn, LOL, thanks for the enthusiastic post, it keeps us rolling
    However, this mod is not, i repeat, NOT in beta stages, so there's no need to apply for beta-testing yet. We'll announce whenever we reach a particular stage that merits public display. Not mentionning testing...

@Cheesenium: We do not intend to use models from the HH Campaign mod. Not that we dislike the models they have produced, quite the contrary, but we wanted to have our own models (some in the display are like 3+ years old), and very true to fluff models too. Also, see Grabnutz's post and view about this in here. Also bear in mind that what armour marks you see atm is 'generic' and that specific legion alteration will come in due time.
    About so-called 40k models,
    i dont have to see a 40k land speeder in 30k
    we now have to deal with two canon sources for the Heresy fluff and we sometimes chose to use the new one and sometimes the old one. Seeing as the MkII Lanspeeder is Pre-H in the HH background books, we simply picked it instead of the old MkI 'lawnchair' Landspeeder. This does not mean that one day, when all is completed, we won't come back to this one and change it. But MkII it shall be for now

Esinhorn
    I just wish I knew how to code or animate.Please keep me in mind when you guys do reach that stage.

I had a couple of Ideas for legion pros and cons
    Imperial Fists/Iron Warriors...unlimited turrets or aways in light cover
    Luna Wolves/Ultramarines....maybe higher squad caps or they get lower costs for everything as they are master stratigests
    World Eaters/Space Wolves....Increased Melee
    Thousand Sons/Word Bearers...multiple librarans,Sorcerers or they get both of them
    Raven Guard/White Scars.....Stealth Marines..low cost assault troops
    You could also use the Tau as a model of Auriean Technocracy and Interx

Ps to Haloelite I collect Pre-Heresy Luna Wolves (pics in wh40k modeling section)

Just a little notice to show we're seriously on this: now presenting ingame His pink legion of doom (no wonder it's been expurged from the legions list ). Thanks to chief-modder Kresjah

ingame MkII

HQ & barracks

The textures are being worked on atm hence the disconcerting appearances.

@Esinhorn: That's good to see someone scratching their head about this mod, we appreciate. Know that we've already thought out the different legions pros and cons though, and that we're pretty set on what we feel to be close to the fluff and specific to each legion to better make their 'character' stand out. But that shouldn't prevent anyone from making suggestions
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Lleman; 10th Feb 07 at 3:18 AM.

Exiled_One
    Nice pink legion of doom! A force to be reckoned with!!

Maximus_Prime
    Great Work! I cant wait to see this finished!
    on another note, Maybe it's just me, but the buildings (Might just be the HQ) seem kinda small.

Mhm, Maximus, you're right about the buildings, in a way... I fact they occupy the same 'template' space but it appears their height is not the same as the vanilla buildings. Just a matter of tweaking...

|[TDR]|Myna
    thats what i was just thinking, they look rather short either that or you have super servitors that are reaaaly tall. And if you guys need an extra modeler or AE guy id be happy to help. bearing in mind that im mainly AE but I'd still model stuff if you need.

This Mod sounds very good and well thought out. I only have one question really, I first learnt about the Heresy from the original space marine game and amassed a lot of fluff from the time. Of course if you need anything pm me and I will look it up and pass it on. This appears to have been superseded though for quite a few of the legions. Originally Sons of Horus were black for example.
    My question relates to the Space Wolves, they have been changed into a norse based society. Originally this was not the case and at the time of the heresy folllowed standard legion in dress and command. Are you intending them to be like the original or new version.
    I have onlyskinned for Imperial Glory and am currently trying to learn how to work within DOW if I do however would be glad to help.

Esinhorn
    The Sons of Horus were always grey-green,Thier First company is in black.Before that they were the Luna Wolves with white/black armor.

The Wolves of Fenris always was a bit different than the rest.

@Esinhorn: ehh no... the SoH haven't always been grey-green. Read the following...

@Thrax: hehe, i'm of the RT generation, and therefore was there when Space Marine got out. I still have the game in here. Good to hear from another fluff thesaurizer.
    So, SoH being all black? Mate, they are described as having a black basecoat and a ghoul grey highlight, which was darker than nowadays codex grey and lighter than, say, anthracite grey. So, black is out of question, unless you talk about the more recent Justaerin elite squads whose colourscheme was all black (see Abaddon) or the Catulan Reavers (assault elite) whose colourscheme was black with white trims.
    As for Space Wolves, they haven't always been depicted as rough chaps (see RT and The 1st book of the Astronomican) but considering that in RT the Canis Helix (and the slight deviancy it brought) had already been mentionned and that in sept. '89 Leman Russ (may He guide your steps :P) is being portayed in WD as a rough barbaric norse-like guy, all indicates they are apart from the regular SMs. We won't make them as standards-following as the UM, even though we'll try to use the most 'accurate' battle-dress, chain of command and battle-markings as is possible. However, we also intend to give them that unconventional look as has been shown in the latest fluff art (the HH books).
    You have to understand that we have to conciliate both old and new fluff and that sometimes choices must be made, for example, the MkII landspeeder instead of the ole 'lawnchair'. My fellow-modders trust me on this and i do my best to organize the background to produce the most interesting things.

You must be getting your info from the Space Marine rulebook, I agree that the highlight was goul grey. However as an alternative view if a highlight is that then, it would be to accentuate where the light would be hitting the original armour colour, thus Sons being black . Mine were anyway as only used highlight for drybrushing. Can see your point as well though.
    Also thanks for the explanation regarding your views on The Space Wolves, I do like the original badge and flags but do like the new direction as well. I think that as you say the norse element will add to their individuality.
    I am going to have to go up in the attic and dig through the old WD's now. If you need any older articles or original paint guides then pm me and I will get it to you.

|[TDR]|Myna
    The sons of horus have green armour well not green as in bright lime but have a darkish greyish green, as explained in the horus heresy series.

Okay, subject of armour colors is now closed
    We're currently working on the textures and since we've chosen to start with the SoH, you'll soon see what colourscheme we've picked, hopefuly. I must admit things go slowly because i'm very nitpicky with our texturers since i want the closest to the illustrations and minis possible and they have to redo stuff quite a lot.
    Stay tuned, cheers!

i was just wondering, how are you going to get the armour refit post to work? Will they load into them like IG do, then you Press a Button selecting which armour type you want and they come out all nice & shiny, or will it be more like a research station? or something else maybe?
    MODS FOR THE MOD GOD! MAPS FOR THE MAP ROOM!

Well, in what concerns the AdMech refit post, we're a bit split between two ideas. Basically, this is a research building that allows the availability of the different armour marks & cataphracti according to the tiering: T 1.5: MkIII / MkIV; T2: MkV / MkVI; T3: MkVII & Cataphracti (this is not yet an established course...)
    Once the research has been done in the refit post, we intend to have the researched mark available in the Field Barracks.
    Discussions had led to the idea that players should be able to still be able to produce older marks while obtaining new ones. So, from this, several ideas have branched:
    1) there can be one mark only built per field barracks, meaning that the players will have to build a barrack for each mark they want produced. We've kinda ruled this one out for a more fluid gameplay
    2) 2.1) we can have the barracks function like the alder aspect stone portal, with a quick research allowing for mark X, for the total number of marks; thus you'd pick only what armour mark suits your needs.
    2.2) same idea but with a limitation to the number of marks available per building depending on the marks similarities/development period (this is where the fluff is useful :P) therefore 2.2 is a mix between 1 & 2.1.
    3) obtaining an armour type in the field barracks (still after the main development research has been made in the refit post) would be like a new, short and not too expensive 'availability' research (located under the recruit button in the UI) except that this research would replace one buildable squad with the next mark. This solution would allow you to have in fact two 'contiguous' armour marks available in each field barracks.

As you can guess, discussion is still active and only testing will show what is the most appropriate and the most practical.

As an alternative idea for the different armour types, could they not be linked in some way to the amount of resourses available/capturing resourses. For example at first when few resourse points have been captured the armour types would be limited. This could represent the establishment of supply lines and the ability of a faction to supply their troops on the ground. As the army progresses and creates more resourses it enables the armour to be built.
    The armour types could all be available with simple research but cost prohibits the player from using them. Older types being cheaper and so more readily available with simple supply lines. The rarer types too expensive to field in largenumbers unless a player has been bold in the game and taken points. Again within the fluff of the Heresy of the problems with equipment and resupply.
    Unfortunately I do not know if this is possible but I hope it is of help.

I see your point. I frankly have no idea if this could be implemented
    However, your idea would rather link the armour marks development to the capping rather than to the teching, which we'd rather go for. Indeed, players could -but would be quite dumb to do so- cap and cap again, without even teching up (yeah i know, this sounds stupid but that's for the sake of example). If i follow you well, they then could get more advanced marks regardless of a global research at the HQ.
    We, on the other hand, want to link the availability of the marks to the 'conflict expansion' (see the HQ upgrades), to reflect the fluffish pov that, indeed as you say, the supply lines are better established and that this particular theater of war has been deemed of increasing importance.
    Still, as i said, this is still under serious discussion and your idea will be brought up next time.

I can see your point by simple research I meant that could be linked to the different hq upgrades and would make sense. Also would mean an army would have to be balanced on fewer newer improved armour against numerous earlier types. To get the Cataphracti, as an example, there would have to be a need to upgrade the hq but they should also cost a lot to produce as only the more daring commander would have the resourses to build them, to reflect their rarity. In essence the better hq would give advances but there would still be a need to attack to get more resourses to enable them to be built.

Here ya go, hope this helps- it's a list of all the pre-heresy color schemes and such...

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...sy/default.htm

Potemkis, thanks a lot but you certainly guessed we'd never have started this without a full knowledge of the HH fluff
    Last edited by Lleman; 17th Feb 07 at 7:06 PM.

Sgt.Roadkill
    i know this is pretty obscure but ar ethere any references to Garo and the Einstein in the mod? or is that to obscure?

Well, to make it simple, Garro is a special character and we aren't yet decided as to add them ingame or not. The command unit would be fairly generic in our opinion and would be a Captain. Maybe more later.
    As for the Eisenstein, i don't see how we could represent it.
    I know the value of the Eisenstein and of Garro's dashing flight to Terra, but we 'just' want to make the fights of the HH and of the subsequent Scouring come to 'life', not do an event after event re-enacting. For that you'll need to wait for the HH Campaign mod.

Great idea guys !! Keep 'em coming !
    "You may as well try to catch starlight as bring the Eldar to battle."

Brand new site and forums

Finally we have our very own space.
    To quote eFTy: "after a few days [edit: not really... ] spent glued at the computer praying the internet line won't burn out, I give you: The HHMP forums!": http://horusheresy.proboards50.com/index.cgi

The 'moving in' is not complete yet but it shouldn't be long before we've rapatriated all the important stuff in. 'Hoping to see you 'round soon...
    Cheers!

we'd never have started this without a full knowledge of the HH fluff
    I kinda guessed at that, but I geeked out when I saw that (I'm doing a pre-heresy army for TT)

cool bookmarked and registered see you there soon

Hey Russ, those models on the first page are gorgeous, even the buildings...Good job!!!
    I am surprised i didn't check this before, what a good surprise
    For Horus The Warmaster!

i pose this question, why hasn't your mod/the HHC mod and battle fleet gothic mod teamed up... i mean the HHC campaign would be made alot better with the use of more accurate models (no offence to the modelers of the current one's in use) and the battle fleet gothic mod could be very useful for some of the historic space battles of the horus heresy, as a bonus the battle fleet gothic mod might be released faster due to the extra help gained through advice and resource sharing, surely this would give 3 mods a better chance of being finished? and not only being finished, being finished to a higher standard. (again no offence)

Well, as you might know, the HHC and us are not heading the same way and, to be frank, there has been a really bad start with the HHC mod which has led to a rift between the two mods even though the relations are quite neutral now.
    No need to come back on this.
    Besides, i don't know if modders both way would be willing to mutually help, that is their own choice too...
    As for the BFG mod, well, we don't see what help besides modelling or texturing we could give, no mentioning that we're pretty stretched on these positions and try to give the most to the HHMP mod, which is sometimes not much.

"neutral now." then where's the problem?

"i don't know" no harm in asking

"we're pretty stretched" that's the point mate. to make things better.

Kindred Ravens: As Lleman said: The HHC mod has gone through a bit of a bad start with the HHMP mod and I should know seeing I have heard both sides of the stories because I'm involved with both mods.

And it's probably not the best option to merge because both of the mods are going in a different direction: The HHMP mod is going on a way to be the one that is more true to fluff and the HHC mod is going perhaps with a more 'funner' experience but sacrificing fluff at the same time (no offense ).

And because of this I do not think it will be wise to merge.

Are you saying we're not fun?
    Anyways, as i told Kindred, this is an all-team decision since we're the kind of 'communist' (in the most basic sense) mod where no one decides for the whole...

Setting that aside, i wanted to show the latest and still very WIP work on texture done by our 'junior' (sorry Lance ) and studs (!!) specialist, wartoon. As you can see there's more to do but it gives you a slight taste of things to come.
    MkII 'Crusade' armour. A virtual cookie for who finds what legion is gonna be the first done

EDIT: hmm, i'm afraid the colour doesn't show well. Let's say that the original looks a greenish-grey
    Last edited by Lleman; 21st Feb 07 at 7:57 PM.

Judging from the shoulder badge Id say Sons of Horus.

however, the color scheme suggests Luna Wolves. (Since the Sons of Horus was a greyish olive green.

So its got to be one of those two.

ah well, for that you get half a cookie already

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information