Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Open House Discussion

1. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #51
    Glad You had a nice time, guys!

Goldo video? What did I miss?

Rumors...it's all rumors...

2. The Studio Senior Member  #52
    Well, I would love to see some pics of the building, the Relic guys, maybe some interior shots, just to see how Relic works.

decoy11
    i heard a rumour that the tourny had a Nvidia 8800 video card was that true?

SPAWN OF SATAN
    Mostly on break
    or perhaps we should just wait for Relic to make an announcement, and personally i would rather see a DoW 2..
    Relic has had multiple dev teams for multiple games for years now. They were working on CoH when releasing DoW, remember, so making one game doesn't rule out another.

i heard a rumour that the tourny had a Nvidia 8800 video card was that true?
    Yes.

Geiv pics pls.

Oh and a shiny new pony for the person who gives a link to the fantastical video made by Gold_O.

<Inq> why do people idolise Tranj/Buggo so much?
    <NovaBurn> because people are brown nosing fuckwads

I hope someone brought a camera to the pub. PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE BROUGHT A CAMERA TO THE PUB.

7. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #57
    Any chance of that post-mortem about Homeworld reaching the masses? Or is that staying confidential (I don't see why).
    My Interceptor is better than your Interceptor.

8. Child's Play Donor  #58
    Never Know What Hit 'Em PULSTAR's Avatar
    I imagine (hope) that Buggo will be here to answer a bunch of these questions when she gets back to work tomorrow.

I'd like to see some of it, too, especially Goldo_O's video and the HW postmortem.

Hopefully at the lake. Miss that place terribly in the winter.
    BTW, Homeworld trademark is still owned by Sierra. +

-- Retro

10. Dawn of War Senior Member  #60
    As imagined by Octopus Rex... Troubleshooter's Avatar
    Oh and a shiny new pony for the person who gives a link to the fantastical video made by Gold_O.
    Correct me if I am wrong... but the stuff sent to relic (includint Gold_O's vid.) are not property of relic. So I think we have to wait till Buggo sleeps off the imba long island ice tea in a week or so and staggers back to work before we get to see it
    Ra Owa : AAHHHH!!!! ITS A ROCK!
    Troubleshooter : Wha... oh... Pfffttt... Prove it. :}
    Ra Owa : ... [sputtering] ... o.O ... Its SCIENCE!

Alot of the presentations were more of a Q&A with the devs and a few key highlights from the powerpoints that they had. For instanced the HW postmortem was Rob C just talking about homeworld development and showing some concept art etc.

And for the record I didn't have a lot to drink that night because I didn't feel like it, and that longisland didn't even get me a buzz.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Intercept course punched in Elukka's Avatar
    I don't understand the postcard... "Ambassador Ver Tulen" is written in a Tau-ish font, and the "Third Ring" sounds alot like the Tau third sphere expansion (or something).

Then again, it has the Angel Moon and the Taiidan Empire logo on it.

I are the confuzzled.

13. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #63
    AND YOU WE ARE MEANT TO BE.

BirdyNumNum
    The Open House was tremendous! It was really interesting to see what made Relic tick, and there's awesome pouring out of every little crevice over there! The environment Relic has established for their employees is top notch, and this was definitly reflected by the manner in which Allie conducted the tour.

Thanks so much for giving us this opportunity Allie, you're a star!

Sly
    Last edited by BirdyNumNum; 11th Mar 07 at 4:09 PM.

15. Homeworld Senior Member  #65
    Retro's attempt at linking to the homeworld registration failed, but I was poking around a while ago and have just done so again and nothing has changed on that front. Unless its just another part of the US legal system that dosent work too well and takes months for them to catch up with transfers, sierra still own a part of the homeworld trademark (sadly the important part)

Homeworld "computer software games and instructional manuals sold as a unit" is still registered to Sierra.

Homeworld "HANDHELD UNITS FOR PLAYING ELECTRONIC GAMES; TOYS, NAMELY, TOY ACTION FIGURES AND ACTION FIGURE ACCESSORIES" has actually been abandoned.

One intersting point is that the Impossible Creatures mark was never actually owned by Microsoft, and was transferred across to THQ when they aquired Relic.

I are the confuzzled.
    It can mean only one thing, and that most defina-*gets shot*

Damned dynamic searches. grr.

Thanks, mnem.

-- Retro

Danger Fire Kills Children Splitstar's Avatar
    Lets hope thats because they didn't have a chance to update the trademark site.

Also its very interesting that the toys for HW are unregistered. Someone go call paperstarships.
    Proud member of Clan Soban Force

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?" -Gaff
    yearbookz yearbuk yeerbook

The postcard is quite confusing...it does suggest a Homeworld product...but I honestly don't think it is going to be....that just seems a bit too obvious for Relic. And Relic is know for being the sneaksy bastards hehe.
    Plus, I know I'm going to be hanged (silly word of the english language eh?) for this, but I'd rather see another DoW title before HW3...I've played both HW games, and they just never really floated my boat. I mean I really respect the games as they definitely did some stuff that no one else was doing at the time, but they still just never rocked my world...sorry if that offends anyone hehe.

20. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #70
    So we can make toys? Homeworld toys? And if they can make Playstation Portable game of 300, Relic could do one for Homeworld? I might just buy a PSP considering that...

21. The Studio Senior Member  #71
    Homeworld for PSP, what the hell are you waiting for

Homeworld 300.

"THIS... IS... SAJUUK'AR!!!"

Thinking a bit more about the postcard, I'm pretty certain Relic elected to go with the Homeworld motif because it's got COOL SPACESHIPS, and if you were going to try and hire a bunch of programmers to work on games, one of the most esthetically pleasing things you could offer them to do was to work on COOL SPACESHIPS. It's also very much Relic's "flagship" intellectual property (okay, Sierra, but that's nitpicking), as the company has been associated with COOL SPACESHIPS since day one. So a beautiful postcard that exhibits COOL SPACESHIPS is a logical and excellent choice to reel in the programmatically gifted. Further, if they put WH40K stuff on their postcard, they'd get applications from a bunch of tabletop geeks who are better at programming pencils and dice than computer games.

-- Retro

23. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #73
    Lacking COOL SPACESHIPS we always have COOL PAPER STAR SHIPS!

Hito
    Damn, didn't see this thread yesterday. Yeah, it was great, a little disappointed that no specific announcements were made on future projects. The session into relic's history was great! Cheers to Buggo for running a tight ship!

cheers!

25. Child's Play Donor  #75
    THe ironic thing is these guys could all be under NDA and is just telling us there was no announcement -_-

After another 25 hours long trip, i'm back at home

Wow... The Open House was amazing! That was such an honour to meet some of the Relic employees, as well as RN staff. Unfortunatly, i was a bit too lucky this day and won the 3rd place at the CoH tournament versus Bridger, so i missed the Homeworld post-mortem and the tour of the 15th floor

I guess you guys want picts? here they are

Me, with the invitation email from Buggo, requiered to enter the Relic Offices

There were people from all over the world, even from Germany!

Our stylish tour guide, Buggo

Buggo, welcoming the attendees in the lobby

A bunch of fans discovering the wonderful world of Relic.

Some attendees were lucky enough to have their flight to the ROH offered by their parents

Buggo, leading the tour with an astonished crowd

Buggo, in front of the Bentall 5

I want to thank Buggo for all she has done to make this fan dream comes true. You did an excellent job!!!

27. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #77
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    THe ironic thing is these guys could all be under NDA and is just telling us there was no announcement -_-
    But in that case, would they just not sidestep it instead of denying it ?

Hito
    LOL Gold_o, solid gold! Real nice, it was good to see your work and talk to you and kat. hope you had a decent plane ride back to france!

Isent picture 6 Buggo with her signed contract ?

Anyway..is there a chance that the replays of the tournament survived ?

30. Child's Play Donor Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #80
    We really are having a blast here. Canadian shots are the very best I had yet

Relic staff are a bunch of really great guys, especially Buggo who did an awesome job organizing stuff. Naming everyone would make this post way too long but THEY ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE!

this is soul:

do not i repeat do not challenge buggo to a drinking contest.
    Read Our Intrepid Crew, updating weekly on Tuesdays.

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Start here

anyone who's not a midget could probably outdrink a girl

and why are you using everyone else's account but your own?
    "We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
    Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
    Formerly DarkelfLord

EViLMinD
    Now... (me slaps & rubs hands together)... to comment on what I experienced:

What a fantastic day that was. Buggo and the Relic staff sure made us feel welcome in their home. To disrupt their business for the day like that so we fanboys would be happy..was...very generous (to say the least).

For me, it was like being twelve years old all over again (ok, age regression comes naturally for me). Now, I'm not the sort of person that gives a tinker's cuss about famous people. I've worked in the entertainment industry and I never cared much when an A-list celebrity crossed my path, nor would I care for an MVP of any sport. Yet, when I walked through those oversized doors and turned to see Buggo sitting there with a Sherman tank busting through the wall behind her, I knew I had to be careful or I'd wet my pants again.

It was a great day:

- everyone walked away with cool stuff (prizes & info...)
    - RoB C was like the Fonz (i want to be him when I grow up lol)
    - the staff was super nice and genuine. I think most of them were actually surpised they had such admiring fans.
    - the fans I had a chance to meet were good peeps. Best online community I've ever met (yes, I do mean that).
    - Uberjumper was like...the...big brother of the group. Such a caring guy. Pleasure to have met him.
    - Buggo ran the day like a field marshal but still made made time to ask each individual how they were doing. She certainly made that day happen (and on time).

Big thanks to Relic (and Buggo)!!!

PS Goldo_O's video was sick. That guy has some serious talent issues he needs to work out. The level of skill he displayed was quite suspect too. One might say it was ...too good. Hmmm.

I really, really want to see this video everyone's talking so highly about. Pwetty pweeze?

35. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #85
    So far Soul's drunken adventures have been the best part of this thread.

I wish I could have gotta drunk with the Relic employees.
    Unfortunately, I'll just have to stick with my friends. Stupid college...

And yes, Soul's drunken adventures are amusing. Good on him! There's few things in this world that's better than getting smashed.

SPAWN OF SATAN
    Mostly on break
    anyone who's not a midget could probably outdrink a girl
    Go take 23 shots of tequila in a few hours and tell us how it went.

What is up with the stamp on that Postcard?
    Relic have their own postal service?
    And what is the image?
    A planet?

Most curious....

39. General Discussions Senior Member  #89
    Tequila is weak.... meh..

SPAWN OF SATAN
    Mostly on break
    Again:
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejayoz

41. The Studio Senior Member  #91
    Hehe, my record was 25 in one and a half hour
    I can't even smell Tequila since then.

Atmospheric Entry Elephant The5thElephant's Avatar
    You can smell at all?

Sounds like a load of fun, real jealous here. I am also looking forward to someone posting gold's video.

All in due time my friend.

I'm not really a guy for tequila, but if you pay, I'd like to see how it goes

45. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #95
    Nova is a lot less sexy in person than what his avatar would suggest.

46. Dawn of War Senior Member  #96
    As imagined by Octopus Rex... Troubleshooter's Avatar
    Er... no. I R <3 Tequila, but she dont love me. 23 shots of that harsh mistress would leave me hospitalized.

Nova is a lot less sexy in person than what his avatar would suggest.
    Nuff said

You didn't really think we had Grace Park frequenting the forums and IRC, did you Moe?

Suddenly Dapper Martians! Trizzdog's Avatar
    Now that I have some time to actually comment on stuff:

Open House: AWESOME

Meeting up with everyone: AWESOME

Best way to start off my spring break: YES

Overall it was awesome, and I was very pleased with what happened at the open house and the events afterwards. It was great to meet up with the relic guys and the staffers, since you guys are even more awesome in person
    Not gonna tell any stories btw, since they would either break the NDA or would offend alot of the people who were involved in the stories. Oh the pics I have...

Oh the pics you have should be posted for everyone to enjoy! (and malicously laugh at)

but they won't

Back in the states and in my apt:

technically it was not all tequila, it was however what ended the soul.

it started with jaeger, then some cheap tequila, then a broken down golf cart (thanks to the relic dev for introducing me to that one on friday, very good, but very weak), then a rocky mountain bear fucker (evidently its a canadian tradition got deggy to confirm this one on monday... not that i dont trust buggo and a tray full of shots smelling of whiskey), then zambouki, then a few polar bears, then tequila three at a time.

i bought this kickass shot glass to remember it by, maybe allie can take a pic of it, but its just an awesome shot glass.

but aside from that.... great god damn trip.

Every single one of the relic staff i ran into was just super cool, extremely nice, could not believe people came from all over the world to see them, etc etc. Were amazed that we wanted to buy them drinks, and repaid the favor by buying us drinks. The rn staff.... well we have known eachother in some cases going on 6-8 yrs, so immediate bonding was the order of the 6 days.

I am still on a high right now and just living it up. I thought i might be disappointed being such a fanboy of relic for all these years, but now i see why i spend my time here and even more so, cant wait to fly back and see everyone and with a new passport soul will tour the world meeting rn staff.

Now i didnt plan to do this, but i will.. i am name dropping... deggy is awesome. We kept missing one another through out the weekend so final night monday, he calls buggo to get my #, tries to text me, call me, but didnt have my cell nearby, so no answer.

So he calls buggo, shes call deadguy telling soul to get his fricken phone, and who should live like a block away from the hotel that squid, cj, deadie, and i should be staying at.. but deggy. Probably embarassing him as heck right now cause the guy has zero ego, but just a great last night for the trip.

As for the zero ego, i didnt meet a single relic dev or rn staffer or anyone with it... 0 ego, nothing... it was all about good times, talking, drinking... ahem almost dying... with good people.

My thoughts are totally random right now but its a pure high baby. The whole trip was win, and the parts i blacked out of... i heard were win.. so that makes the trip win win.

Uber is the community and his wife is just the best... hosting at one time 5 rn staff, you cant meet a nicer friendlier couple.

I am sure in a day depression will sink in cause i miss my friends, i miss hanging with relic staff that opened their doors for strangers and were incredibly kind buying drinks (cheers to the coh art folks, thanks for the jaeger on friday), answering questions about their backgrounds, the work they do, etc etc.

IT is a total high, here is too 2008... i will be all around the world, soul has a passport.
    Last edited by Soulblighter; 13th Mar 07 at 3:31 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information