About moderators

Merker

About moderators

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I keep seeing some moderators respond in threads that complaining about certain things like the patch balance doesn't belong in X thread and the thread will be locked if it continues. Sometimes going on to say that you don't understand all the reasons for the changes. Which is fine, but the way it's expressed just doesn't seem appropriate.

How do you expect people to act if the people telling them to follow the rules come across as totalitarian? The idea behind the forums I thought was to do community building complaining about change is something everyone does. People don't like change even if they hated the status quo before. It's going to take a while for people to 1) accept the change and 2) realize that it's probably not that bad. Having someone add nothing to the "conversation" besides the statement that you don't know what you're talking about stop whining isn't really helping the transition. If you think to much "whining" is happening a statement like Try and stay on topic or maybe some helpful advice would come across alot friendlier. By adding to the negativity of a thread it seems to me the opposite of what the moderators want to happen takes place - people feel bad so they act bad. Most people play games to destress and change definitely causes stress so it's possible these forums are the only real outlet for them.

It's not all of you guys I think some of the mods are doing a great job keep it up.

M

this kinda belongs in the "forum issues" sub-forum.....

I'm the guy who names his teams after classical Greek epic literature

3. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #3
    moving to Forum Issues

Where did you get the impression that this isn't totalitarian? A dictatorship is not inherently a bad thing.

Merker
    I think you'll find that business is a democracy. People vote with their wallets.

6. The Studio Senior Member  #6
    This is not a forum run by Relic, so your wallet is not an issue.

We tend to like this forum clean and whining free. If you want to complain, at least do it in a constructive way, like this: I don't like x, and y change to z could fix it.
    "We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
    Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
    Formerly DarkelfLord

8. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #8
    Merker, a couple of specific examples would be nice. We can't discuss this if we don't know what you're talking about. Could you perhaps link to one or two threads where this has happened?

Also, just to clear this up:
    I think you'll find that business is a democracy. People vote with their wallets.
    These forums are not a business.

SPAWN OF SATAN
    Mostly on break
    These forums are not a business.
    To elaborate, if this were a business, the fact that we spend money and time and don't make any would spell quick bankruptcy.

dannyinternets
    I guess the big US Airforce ad at the top of this page is a hallucination then...

That's not an attempt to belittle what I'm sure are many hours put forth by people who don't earn a dime from this site, but to say that it is a fact that the site makes no money is patently false.

We have to cover our costs. Servers and bandwidth aren't free.

dannyinternets
    Hence my statement that I don't want to belittle your efforts. Doesn't change the fact that the site making no money isn't, you know, a fact.

I imagine it was intended as a statement about profit, not income.

14. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #14
    "Making money" to me implies making a profit, which is not what this site is doing or indeed trying to do.
    Last edited by Moe; 21st Mar 07 at 2:22 PM.

dannyinternets
    In the context of business,

To elaborate, if this were a business
    making money does not necessarily mean the same thing as netting a profit, particularly when "making money" is contrasted with "spending money," implying a balance between the two, such as in accounting.

16. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #16
    Which still is not the same as implying that any person of the staff have earnings from any activity on this site. As they do not.

Which is not to say we are complaining about not getting paid, if this ever became a paid position i think i would quit. No amount of money will ever replace a pink sticky note.

This thread has veered substantially from the original topic, and the various supplementary queries have been addressed, so I'm going to close it now.

Merker, I suggest you read through Soul's post on another Forum Issues thread, specifically the point about specifity. If you can't point to specific examples of people "coming across as totalitarian" we're going to have a hard time working out just what we should be improving here.

Thread Information