Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

No beta. No demo. Release planned for "mid-September." Quote from Sierra PR.

No beta. No demo. Release planned for "mid-September." Quote from Sierra PR.

I just had a brief conversation with Amy Farris of VU Games public relations. She had this to say for public release:

HW2 will ship mid-September. There are no plans for a beta or demo of the game.
    Alex Rodberg (Sierra) also adds that the "TARGET release date is September 16th."
    Last edited by dmille; 12th Aug 03 at 2:36 PM.

Ancient Clan of Hex&Square yasotay's Avatar
    Er... for us less than knowing types, does this mean that they are solid that the product is good, or is this a dangerous gambit due to constricted budget? Or what?

Marweas
    Yes.

TopoGeigeo
    WOW! great post Marweas!! I never thoguht I'd see a clearer responce in any post! :O

-Edit

Can you be a little more spicific as to what your saying yes to?

Ancient Clan of Hex&Square yasotay's Avatar
    Ahhh.... such a brilliant articulation of company policy. Y'all ought to go into defense contracting...

6. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #6
    marweas:

Can you confirm if the beta is your (Sierra/VU Games) or Relic's responsibility?

Enny
    I suspect bad.
    One puts all his hopes in HW2 and then no Beta and no Demo.
    How it works ?
    And why?
    Money?

Yes, probably.

Organizing a beta test would be expensive.

9. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #9
    Money and Time I imagine.

avx17
    When you say target date like that it makes it sound like they are going to ship the game as fast as they can after it goes gold which would make it seem like HW2 is being rushed before it is ready which might lead to some major bugs. Shouldn't they have a confirmed release date a month before they ship the game? Kinda makes sense.

edit: My collective thoughts on the situation: I think that Sierra deserves to be:sniper:. I am also :madashel:
    Last edited by avx17; 12th Aug 03 at 3:20 PM.

Legion-KN
    Thats my greatest fear.....
    No Beta and bugs,bugs,bugs.....

12. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #12
    All games have a target date for shipping. There's nothing unusual with being scheduled to finish, otherwise, the game would never be done.

HW Shipped with a metric assload of bugs in it, a few of them still in the game, and it had 3 patches released after it shipped, including one that was available on release day.

I'm more concerned with Sierra's follow on support for the game.

Dunatis
    I think the game is being released as early as possible in order to get ahead of a bucket load of good games being released around the same time like DOOM3, Half-Life 2 and Halo to mention but a few.

Quite possibly. Sierra might be clearing the stage for Half-Life 2.

FMA-CSBS2
    We will see, I hope this is no action out of money problems

Dunatis
    Still what is important to me is that it will be out as early as Sept. I will probably take 6 months to finish the game, if it is anything like HW, anyway. By that time most of the Bugs should have been found and sorted.

FMA-CSBS2: Vivendi is publishing HW2. Vivendi doesn't have money problems, Vivendi is a money problem.

Lilith
    This would be great as honestly HW is getting boring. Raptor you told my brother yet ? He thinks its a conspiracy.

Mimic
    hmmz not really suprised tbh pitty tho hope they will plan it.. every game can use a public beta to sort out bugs, balancing etc.

Guess they are to much fixated on Halflife 2... a shame

At least we know that there is no beta and no demo, but what worries me at the moment is that the amount of possible bugs that the game will have at release. It is going to at least as many patches as the original homeworld to solve them. other than that I sincerly hope that the game is ready when it goes gold.
    Last edited by NovaBurn; 12th Aug 03 at 4:09 PM.

I'd like this thread preserved, so when HW2 is not, at all buggy but merely needs balancing (which the beta-tested HW1 also required), everyone who complained loudly here can be slapped.

22. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #22
    Any game could have a large amount of bugs when it goes gold. HW had a lot, and it still made Game of the Year for 1999.

Sure no one wants bugs to be in a game... but publishers and developers haven't yet managed to get to a point where none exist.

Beta tests can limit bugs, but they also fail to find bugs.

It's my opinion that HW2 is in better shape than HW when it comes to the amount of bugs in it.

Kadeshi_Colonel

No demo? What???

On the "Official HW2 Site" at Sierra, it has said "Demo coming soon" for several months... Are you guys saying that this is total BS?

Are we sure that there is no demo?

Yes. Amy Farris' statement to me was fairly explicit.

PenDragon
    nothing is perfect, simple as that.

26. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #26
    Just like to add that just because there are no plans for a Beta or Demo at this point doesn't mean there absolutely won't be. But I wouldn't be expecting one at this point.

The statement that they hope to ship HW2 in mid-September (and are targeting that date) would logically preclude (Dyn posted the logic last night) a beta.

If Sierra funds, or Relic is already working on a demo (and Amy somehow doesn't know about it, which I highly doubt) then, I suppose, a demo is possible.

28. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #28
    Exactly... but until it's on store shelves... anything could happen... doesn't mean it will... but yeah... there might still be a beta, and there might be a demo.

xep
    I'm just glad to finally have a definite answer on the release date and whether or not there will be a beta/demo. I have enough confidence in Relic that not having a beta doesn't really bother me very much. I've seen plenty of other games WITH betas that still were buggy as rotting logs at release.

Thanks for the answers Amy!

Or the Demo could come out after the game is released... it wouldn't be the first time it happens.

Kewin: Amy would have stated, however, that one was being planned, funded, or developed. I'll follow up with her at some point (she's busy, and I prefer not to bother her when it's not pressing).

I do not, however, expect to see one. I'd concentrate on hoping for an expantion pack were I you.

Rebmem
    We're 4 weeks away from release, so unless they've already made arrangements, I think it's a safe bet there will be no beta - not before the game ships, anyway. It'll take 3-4 weeks just to get the beta organized, applicants selected, and software ready.

The fact that Relic said "There will be a beta" some time ago, and Sierra is not saying "It's not in the plans" suggests relations between Relic and Sierra might be a bit dicey, IMO.

Chances are, we're going to be paying to become beta testers, which in itself isn't a big deal as long as the kinks get worked out... Sierra, unfortuantely, does not have a good track record for support in regards to HW games - HW and HW:C remain beta quality (HW:C especially). Generals is a good example - it took serveral months for it to become usable in terms of online play (which is where all the value of that game is - it's certainly not in the single player)... It wasn't all that great when it was released, but it was fixed in time.

[edit] BTW the good news here is that we will all be playing HW2 quite soon, probably as early as September. Not far off from what Jumper told me last year -- that he thought it would be Oct. or Nov.
    Last edited by Eiden; 12th Aug 03 at 4:43 PM.

Eiden: Things change. That Relic statement was a long time ago.

I think HW2's quality will be excellent overall - but balance patches will be required. But that was true of the well beta-tested HW1 also.

Monty Block
    Hi guys,

There won't be a beta test for Homeworld 2. But that doesn't mean we haven't been testing the beta!

We've had a number of VERY qualified people coming in to the studio for the past 6 weeks to test every nook and cranny of Homeworld 2. With their help and the coordinated efforts of two crack QA teams from VUG and Sierra, the dev team here at Relic has done an amazing job of getting the game ship-shape.

I hope this helps to allay your concerns. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

-geoff

Geoff: Thanks for the information! My only question is: What about the mod creation tools? Are they also being tested?

Is there a release date for those.. ie are they shipping with the game or will they be available seperately via the RDN after the game ships?

Okay thats more than one question

Regards
    Delphy

Glad that is out of the closet. September 16th is looking closer and closer.

Wrathof_Hiigara
    So Vivendi....did or did not run outta money??
    If so, i'm not suprised, since Wcf3:FT had a MASSIVE beta test (must've drained VU games quite a bit i'd imagine).
    Uber: Your being very optomistic aren't ya
    :fencing:

38. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #38
    Vivendi as a whole has money problems. What Sierra's books look like... I have no idea. Blizzard is not part of Sierra, so they may have different budgets for game betas. Heck... who knows, it's all cloak and dagger stuff!

I'm pretty optimistic, and even now, I'd still point out that pink elephants COULD fly and there COULD be a beta and/or a demo. But yeah, I'll go with Geoff on the beta thing :-)

Dawn Falcon
    Monty Block, not really.

See, if I don't like the balance, I can mod it. If the game is buggy on my PC because it's not been tested on a wide enough range of hardware, I'm stuck.

The early buggyness of HW1 definately DID impact sales...

And I assume that the 16th is the US release date. So probably October 3th in the UK

Wrathof_Hiigara
    The downfall of HW:
    BUGS!!!!!
    Downfall of HW2:
    BUGS!!!! and no friggin beta test AND NO DEMO!!!!
    ARGH!!!! THE FUSTRATION IS KILLING ME!!!!!
    P.S Yes, i'm REALLY aggravated and pessimistic
    please dont hurt me...

Dilber[TFC]
    If geoff says that the game has been tested a lot internally, I personally will believe him. Has relic ever failed us before?

Dilber[8th]

It would've been hard to imagine that the announcement of HW2's imminent release could seem like bad news, but true to form, they've somehow managed to do it.

[bulletproof]
    yay @monty block!

44. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #44
    Yes... good point Arioch, it is very good news that HW2 is almost here. The Lack of Demo and Lack of Beta however, were what people were inquiring about. So yeah, people asked, and they got their answer.

Personally, I'm doubly happy, because this means the game is almost here, and any lingering doubts are now out in the open.

Oh well hopefully all the bugs will have been ironed out by the time it gets Down Here.

Well - all the major ones anyway, that way I can play straight through the single player and then online to begin my conquest for HW2 domination.

(No DEMO) - My heart has just been ripped out

46. Homeworld Senior Member  #46
    Why does it have to take the community some delving to find this info out. Relic or Sierra should get up off their arses and realise that the sooner they tell people about things like this the less people are going to be upset. The lack of beta will have been decided some time ago, so why has it taken it this long for someone at Relic to confirm it?

Its seems like Inept has a new home

47. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #47
    Because PR/Marketting is mostly Sierra's job? A guess anyway.

48. Homeworld Senior Member  #48
    Then I guess geoff shouldnt be posting here? Its polite to let your customers know whats going on, especially after youve decided to not do something you stated you were going to do. I guess its lucky gamers as customers is a unique poistion. You can fuck them over as much as you like and they will still have to buy your game as similar alternatives are never avaliable.

That said, hw2 soon(ish)

[edit]Meh, sorry if Im sounding overly critical or bitchy, but this is just something that gets to me easily. Its isnt hard to send an email or make a post on a forum, unless your in this industry apparently.[/edit]
    Last edited by Mnementh; 12th Aug 03 at 5:52 PM.

49. Child's Play Donor  #49
    Guilty. Of being in space! Captain Pierce's Avatar
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    Originally posted by Marweas
    Yes.
    Ah-HAH! Marweas' secret identity is finally revealed! He's Ambassador Kosh from Babylon 5!

Although what the Vorlons are doing running a game company is beyond me... :jest:

As for the rest of it... hey, it happens. I'd have liked to have had a beta copy on the ol' PC, or at least a demo to get a sneak peek... but life will go on.

Wait--I'm on vacation September 16th! Two states away from the Best Buy where I got my preorder box!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Higaran
    I just want the modding tools now, just to see what it could do.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information