Failed to find a supported hardware rendering device. - FIXED - minvidmem

ab3n

Resolved Failed to find a supported hardware rendering device. - FIXED - minvidmem

Hey all,

I have played this game on my laptop since it was released and have enjoyed it to no end. I have recently upgraded to vista on this laptop and now when I try to start CoH (1.5) I get the following error:

"Failed to find a supported hardware rendering device."

The game played flawlessly in xp and nothing else has changed. Any ideas? Let me know if you need any additional info, thanks!

***Just found the solution with a little searching, ignore.

2. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #2
    What was the fix?

ab3n
    Just had to add "-minvidmem 29" to the target in the shortcut.

4. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #4
    Ahhh yes. Shared laptop memory. Thanks for the update.

beauner
    I have pretty much the similar problem, but i cannot edit the target line. For some reason the computer wont let me. Any ideas?

6. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #6
    What error do you get?

beauner
    I got the same error as above (the "failed to find the rendering device" one). But when i try to edit the target line in the shortcut, as is suggested above, it just wont let me like the option is not available.

8. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #8
    See this thread:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=109664

for how to add the command line shortcut.

beauner
    Yeah i found that earlier but im still unable to edit the target line. It appears in grey writing instead of black, like is usually the case when the option to edit is unavailable. ive taken a screen print to show you......
    Attached Images

10. Child's Play Donor  #10
    Under security or somethign like that you need to give your login full control over that shortcut in order to edit it

beauner
    Yeah under the security tab it says i have full control over the options, yet i still cant edit it along with most other things. I appreciate the help though guys!

12. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #12
    Go into the directory where you installed CoH. Find the RelicCoH.exe, right click on it, and pick Send To>Desktop - Create Shortcut.

Then modify your desktop shortcut.

That looks like some kind of Media Center shortcut perhaps.

beauner
    Cheers guys thats done it! Appreciate it alot!

Problem with Shortcut

Hey guys, iv had the same error and have tried everything i can to fix it but still can't get it to work. When i try add the -minvidmem 29 to the target text it gives me an error saying, "the name " '"c:\program files (X86)\thq\company of heroes\relicCOH.exe"-minvidmem 29' specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct."
    any idea's to this or am i doing something wrong?
    thanks

15. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #15
    Make sure you have a space in front of the -minvidmem 29

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
    heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
    Isaac Asimov

alright thanks that was the problem, but its still giving me the same error even with the the -minvidmem 29 added in. I also tried -minvidmem 32 as another relic forum advised but that too doesn't help. here's my dxdiag if anyone can see anything wrong on it. thanks again
    DxDiag.txt

hey! you can add:

c:\program files (X86)\thq\company of heroes\relicCOH.exe -minvidmem 0
    note:
    c:\program files (X86)\thq\company of heroes\relicCOH.exe(space)-(not space)minvidmem 0
    I think it's alright

Thread Information