Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to make a unit look bigger ingame

How to make a unit look bigger ingame

What you need to know:

You need to know how to extract the games files from the sga archives and have some basic knowledge of either Corsix's mod manager, ibboards sga explorer or the relic packaging tool.

you can find most of what you need here and a tutorial on that here:
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=144450

Now on to the basics

you can make a unit or building look bigger ingame with a lua file.
    it is ALWAYS helpfull to see how relic has done it, so take a look in the sga files.
    it is located in the troops folder of the race it belongs too.
    so thats:
    data/art/ebps/races/eldar/troops for eldar. any other race just look in that race folde instead.

the file will be named the same as the entities whm and whe file.

for instance the avatar's whe and whm files are called avatar_of_khaine.

that would be the name of the lua file for the avatar.

to increase the size of the unit ingame open up the lua for the unit/vehicle you wish to resize and you will see something like this:

simvis_attributes =
    {
    melee_size = 2,
    melee_block_ratio = 80,
    melee_unsynced_damage_ratio = 7,
    vis_scale_min = 1.25,
    vis_scale_max = 1.25,
    selection_volume = 1,
    selection_ground = 1,

-- Shadow Types:
    -- 0 = None
    -- 1 = blob (rotated by light dir)
    -- 2 = blob (rotated by object dir)
    -- 3 = shadow map
    -- 4 = stencil shadow volume
    shadow_type = 3,
    shadow_scale = 0.08,

occluder = 1,
    }
    simvis_attributes_strings =
    {
    shadow_texture = "Shadows/shadow_dir_blob-dot.tga"
    }
    vis_scale_min = 1.25,
    vis_scale_max = 1.25,

those are the lines you are looking for.
    i believe 1 (or 1.00) is to be the normal size of the unit or vehicle while 2 (or 2.00) would be twice as big etc

you can get randomly sized infantry and vehicles by changing the min and max values a bit like this:

vis_scale_min = 1.00,
    vis_scale_max = 1.25,

it gives of the effect that not everyone is the same height and with some randomised troop models it will truly make each squad unique and not uniform like most space marines!

you can also resize the buildings the same way as resizing troops. the lua file MUST be called the same thing as the building WHM or WHE file.

then if you want to stop it clipping against other buildings and things ingame then you have to define its boundry area.
    to do that you must open up the AE go to its ebp area then when click on the building go to entityblueprint. aswell as seeing the model it is, there's it's X,Y and Z values. change them to suit the size of the building. this will stop buildings being built inside the other.
    Last edited by horusheretic; 25th Sep 07 at 7:41 AM.
    Tutorials_And_Helpful_Sites_Here <-link
    Want a 3d model commissioned? I may do so. Pm me!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dow40k2-woa Join up for updates and view other members.

Chosen Terminat
    Hmm...I was wondering how to do this. I just tried changing the sizes of the Space Marines, but some units didn't have the " vis_scale_min = 1.25,
    vis_scale_max = 1.25," part. Can you just copy and paste it between the Shadow Types and "selection_ground=1"?

vis_scale_min = 1.25,
    vis_scale_max = 1.25,

all you would need to add are those two lines if there not in the text.
    Last edited by horusheretic; 4th Jun 07 at 7:41 PM.

Unregistered
    Is there a map editor for Dark Crusade? I've been pouring over the file for one. And if not, where can I get a map editor?

ok, bit of topic to the thread, but fear not mortal for i shall point you in the right direction

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=144448

that is the link to the mod tools thread. the modtools has the map editor (or mission editor).

As for editing the size of the model via the vis_scale_min/max lines in the art/ebps/.../yourmodel.lua, there is a catch :
    These lines will increase/decrease your model's size BUT THEY WILL ALSO AFFECT ANY FX IT USES IN THE OE.
    So if you have a marine firing a heavy bolter and you increase it's size by 25%, the heavy bolter's tracer fire will pass through the target and end its course 25% farther than it should have !

Another problem is for the Synckills : since your model is resized and its target is not, you may get weird results in game because the synckill marker won't attach where it should.

So increasing size in this way is not completely hassle free. You may have to rework some fx and/or some synckills, which might not be a real time saver compared to resizing all the ref and animations + reworking the synckills.
    You'll have to decide this on a model per model basis.

Nubsauce
    So wait... how do I go about actually getting the art luas? i cant seem to find them or how to get them...

my_mod/data/art/ebps/races/race/troops
    That is for models that you install yourself.
    The core art .lua files are in either the DXP2 or the WH40K .sga files.

Nubsauce
    awesome, thanks

i should put up something saying you need to know how to extract the games files..

Syre_Janus
    Hi!

I am gonna making a mod, which will bring the infantery, tanks and the buildings more in proposition to another and wich will make the sm and the csm more realistic like on the artworks where they are about 2.10 meters high and about 1.30 meters from shoulder to shoulder, but in game they are smaller then the IG General, that makes no sense!

No my question: I must modell the sm particular new (the head stays the rest gets bigger, that clear), but how do i make the tanks and buildings bigger without destroying there FX ??

sry about my noob question it is first time i a modding dawn of war, before i modded halo and that is much more easier

Thx for your help!

you would need to rework the models in the OE i guess, not sure on that. but the quickest way is just to resize the units etc first and see if your happy with the outcome.

Syre_Janus
    Hi!

Why only one is writing an answer?

I think i tell you my mod idea again!

1. I want to bring the buildings, the infantery and the vehicles more in proposition to another. But how to do that, without to damage the FX and the killability? Can i do this in 3D Studio Max 7?

2. I want to bring the races more in proposition to another, so i want to make the SM to the real super heros, which they are on the artworks (2.10 meters tall and 1.40 meters from shoulder to shoulder, because they not normal humans they are genetic improved)...

3. I want to make new units and make others more like on the artwork, so i want to make the IG General like on the cover of Winter Assault!

And i have one other question, why Santos Tools Helptext in 3D Studio Max 7 Fullversion doesn´t work?

Bye and thx!

1: you would have to redo almost everything in the object editor etc if you wanted to do that. thats ALOT of work.

2: to make them like that then you would have to edit the model in max. just for visual size changes just use the method in the first post. its alot easier than to re edit every model.

3: then you would have to use a modelling program.

And i have one other question, why Santos Tools Helptext in 3D Studio Max 7 Fullversion doesn´t work?
    i cant really say, i dont know enough to help you on that.

I am trying to make the IG sentinel a little bigger but i want to know something. The files are in the engine folder (or something like that) so if i change them there will it change my whole DC game or just a specific mod.

Also, i can't find that code you mentioned in the first post with vis_min and all that where is it. And can someone please give me the file path to the lua's?

Thanks
    Last edited by Minion_Master; 21st Oct 07 at 5:50 PM. Reason: Found the files afterall
    Looking for a mod team? Youre in luck. Check out our website if you are interested.

I have a similar problem - no simvis values

Opening the LUA's as instructed, but it's simply not there. Only thing there is the info that you can see in the AE

so you can find the file needed to change the size but not the values to properly change the size?

if so just add in the lines:

vis_scale_min = 1.25,
    vis_scale_max = 1.25,

and change the values there.

if you cant find a simvis file then use an extractor to find one and then copy and rename it to the same models whm/whe file. structures and buildings will have one with similar stuff so if its a building try using the guard hq's one. if its infantry just copy the one on first post.

hmm...we may be at cross purposes. I want to make my turrets smaller. If I open the .LUA file for the turret EBPs then there is no simvis value. I have no simvis files either. If you would like to PM me one then that would be great, or else I misunderstand.

I notice that there is a 'scale_x/y/z' set of options in AE - is that related?

19. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #19
    Quote Originally Posted by horusheretic
    it is ALWAYS helpfull to see how relic has done it, so take a look in the sga files.
    it is located in the troops folder of the race it belongs too.
    so thats:
    data/art/ebps/races/eldar/troops for eldar
    The simvis files are separate files. They do not come with the attribute LUAs, they just happen to have the same file extension.They are in the data archive. You need to extract them.

You don't actually have to extract them because you can just create new ones to override old ones. You may also need to create new ones because many units are covered by blanket ones for the whole race.

As for X,Y,and Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Horusheretic
    then if you want to stop it clipping against other buildings and things ingame then you have to define its boundry area.
    to do that you must open up the AE go to its ebp area then when click on the building go to entityblueprint. aswell as seeing the model it is, there's it's X,Y and Z values. change them to suit the size of the building. this will stop buildings being built inside the other.
    Last edited by Octopus Rex; 18th Feb 08 at 2:02 AM.
    "Life is not full of successes, it is full of failures from which we learn" - Tony Benn
    Octopus Blog (14.02.10)DOW2 GridKeys
    DOW1 Modding Tutorial ListDOW2 Tactical Primer

Sweet! If I only learned to read then I'd be dangerous....

I take it that I have to make my own mini-shadow?

Slye_Fox
    How do i get .sga files for custom units like my Lemon Russ Demolisher?

22. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #22
    There isn't one. But luckily you don't need it -

The sgas are just archives that contain all the models compressed. The files you need are the WHE and WHM. The download may include a simvis file, but otherwise you'll have to make your own.

Slye_Fox
    what download?

24. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #24
    Oh I assumed the demolisher you were talking of was one that made in C2C or something, and hence downloaded it. If you made the model yourself, then you have the WHE and WHM already, all you need to do is make asim vis file.

The .sgas are just the archive type that relic packs the game files in. Custom built stuff does not come in a relic packed archive (obviously) and does not need to be put in one to work in game either.

Slye_Fox
    Right, got the Leaman Russ to 50% it's size, that worked fine.
    I used AE to se the blueprint values to 50% their values, save the banary.

Ingame the model is small, but the bountry box and shadow remain unchanged.

Did i miss something?

change the shadow_scale size. if it isnt there then add the line:

shadow_scale = 0.15,

and change the value.

Slye_Fox
    That fixed the shadow, but the bounding box is still unchanged.

I've also extended my scaleing to all IG troops, the vehicles shrink fine, but the infantry remain their normal size.

<edit>

Here's a pic;
    Last edited by Slye_Fox; 21st May 08 at 7:17 AM.

Lol HotWheels leadin' the way >.>

But yeah, the bounding box settings are edited using OE. The variables are listed to left under "Selected UI".

You should simply be able to stick the simvis scale variables in a file called defaultsimvisattributes.lua to make all infantry that scale(sorry if this was mentioned before).
    "The Wanderers have returned..."
    "I don't claim to have all the answers--just more than you do."

Slye_Fox
    how do i open the default models in oe?

Get Mudflaps Export tools(search forum)

-Extract the .whe/.whm files and copy them to ModTools/DataGeneric/[mod]/Data/Art/EBPs/(etc.)
    -Use .whm to .sgm converter(straight-forward)
    -Use .whe to .ebp converter(again, straight-forward--it has directions in the interface)
    -Open the new .ebp with OE
    -After saving changes, the edited .whe(only file that's altered by OE, afaik) will be under [mod]/Data/Art/EBPs NOT DataGeneric's dir.

Hi,

I've got a question. Will the vis_scale value that's set in the defaultsimvis file overide a vis_scale value that's set in the (unit name).lua file ??

This has always made me wonder, as I normally change the vis_scale value in the (unit name).lua file. From my experience, changing the value in the defaultsimvis file has never seemed to have any effect. Can you give some clarification please.

regards

sunray

@slye: try changing these lines first...

selection_volume = 1,
    selection_ground = 1,

@sunray
    defaultsimvis is only used when the unit itself hasnt got a simvis lua. check to make sure you have the correct name for the object you are trying to scale and that some of the settings are not commented out with "--" at the beginning.

Slye_Fox
    @horusheretic
    no change

@Ronin-Sage
    I can't do step 4, i get an error;
    "Unable to load model!"
    Last edited by Slye_Fox; 22nd May 08 at 4:10 AM.

From my experiences, it seems that with some cases, the OE simply doesn't like you. Not sure how to get around this.

its best to use santos tools if you have 3ds max. its a more proven method of working

Slye_Fox
    I shrunk the Leman Russ model to 50% and exported it, but i only get a .whm,
    where do I get the .whe from?

<edit>
    Got it to open in OE.
    But the model is and box is the normal size ingame.
    Last edited by Slye_Fox; 23rd May 08 at 5:56 PM.

you need to change its selection scale in the oe aswell if you changed the models actual scale in 3ds max.

it should be under the selected ui tab in OE.

Slye_Fox
    what about the model?
    That was still the same size image after scaleing it down in 3ds.

I tried to change the min/max size for the model ingame to give it some size variation, but I don't see a difference, whats up with that?

both post up the simvis luas for the models you are working on.

and a small reminder to make sure they are named the same as the whe and whm you are scaling..

It should be noted that environment models(models located in Art/EBPs/environment) are static and cannot be resized. I'm about 98% sure about this and have researched it pretty thoroughly after failing to resize the Tau "comm tower", Dark eldar corrupted gate, and ig "dressing_bunker_01"

stringsNwood
    Ok so let me get this straight...

All I want to do is rescale my Railgun that uses the basilik model. What I have to do is extract the .SGA from the WXP folder and find basilisk.lua, copy and rename it to Railgun.lua in a folder on my desktop. Now, I put the vis_scale stuff in it, and I'm making a mod using the RDN modtools. Where do I put this new .lua?

Heres a .lua from AE:

----------------------------------------
    -- File: 'ebps\races\guard\troops\guard_vehicles_banesilik.lua'
    -- Created by: AttributeEditor v2.0
    -- Note: Do NOT edit by hand!
    -- (c) 2001 Relic Entertainment Inc.

GameData = Inherit([[ebps\races\guard\troops\guard_vehicles.nil]])
    MetaData = InheritMeta([[ebps\races\guard\troops\guard_vehicles.nil]])

GameData["ability_ext"] = Reference([[ebpextensions\ability_ext.lua]])
    GameData["ability_ext"]["abilities"]["ability_01"] = "abilities\\earthshaker_round.lua"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["attack_motion_variable_name"] = "Weapon_Range_Tracking_Main"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["hardpoint_weapon_variant_motion_name"] = "Weapon_Upgrade_Range_Main"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["horizontal_aim_motion_variable_name"] = ""
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["shoot_motion_variable_name"] = "Weapon_Range_Firing_Main"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["use_for_facing"] = true
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["vertical_aim_motion_variable_name"] = "Aim_Vertical_Main"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["muzzle"]["y"] = 2.32000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["muzzle"]["z"] = 5.30000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["name_for_this_weapon_choice"] = "Guard_Earthshaker_Cannon"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["origin"]["y"] = 2.32000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["origin"]["z"] = -0.06000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_01"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["weapon"] = "weapon\\guard_earthshaker_cannon_banesilik.lua"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["attack_motion_variable_name"] = "Weapon_Range_Tracking_Hull"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["hardpoint_weapon_variant_motion_name"] = "Weapon_Range_Upgrade_Hull"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["horizontal_aim_motion_variable_name"] = "Aim_Horizontal_Hull"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["shoot_motion_variable_name"] = "Weapon_Range_Firing_Hull"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["vertical_aim_motion_variable_name"] = "Aim_Vertical_Hull"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["muzzle"]["x"] = -0.65000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["muzzle"]["y"] = 1.30000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["muzzle"]["z"] = 2.64000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["name_for_this_weapon_choice"] = "Guard_Heavy_Bolter"
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["origin"]["x"] = -0.65000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["origin"]["y"] = 1.30000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["origin"]["z"] = 1.83000
    GameData["combat_ext"]["hardpoints"]["hardpoint_02"]["weapon_table"]["weapon_01"]["weapon"] = "weapon\\guard_heavy_bolter_basilisk.lua"
    GameData["cost_ext"]["time_cost"]["cost"]["power"] = 350.00000
    GameData["cost_ext"]["time_cost"]["cost"]["requisition"] = 350.00000
    GameData["cost_ext"]["time_cost"]["time_seconds"] = 65.00000
    GameData["entity_blueprint_ext"]["animator"] = "Races/Imperial_Guard/Troops/Basilisk"
    GameData["entity_blueprint_ext"]["scale_x"] = 1.80000
    GameData["entity_blueprint_ext"]["scale_y"] = 2.00000
    GameData["entity_blueprint_ext"]["scale_z"] = 3.00000
    GameData["health_ext"]["hitpoints"] = 5000.00000
    GameData["moving_ext"]["rotation_rate"] = 60.00000
    GameData["moving_ext"]["speed_max"] = 16.00000
    GameData["moving_ext"]["turning_behavior_template"] = "tank"
    GameData["sight_ext"]["sight_radius"] = 75.00000
    GameData["special_attack_physics_ext"]["mass"] = 85.00000
    GameData["syncdeath_ext"]["syncdeathinfos"]["syncdeathinfo_01"]["synckill_id"] = Reference([[type_synckillids\sk_none.lua]])
    GameData["syncdeath_ext"]["syncdeathinfos"]["syncdeathinfo_02"]["synckill_id"] = Reference([[type_synckillids\sk_none.lua]])
    GameData["syncdeath_ext"]["syncdeathinfos"]["syncdeathinfo_03"]["synckill_id"] = Reference([[type_synckillids\sk_none.lua]])
    GameData["syncdeath_ext"]["syncdeathinfos"]["syncdeathinfo_04"]["synckill_id"] = Reference([[type_synckillids\sk_none.lua]])
    GameData["type_ext"]["type_armour"] = Reference([[type_armour\tp_vehicle_high.lua]])
    GameData["ui_ext"]["speech_directory"] = "Speech/Races/Guard/Baneblade;Speech/Races/Guard/Tanks"
    GameData["ui_ext"]["ui_info"]["icon_name"] = "guard_icons/guard_squad_basilisk"

MetaData["$METADATATAG"] = {desc = [[]], type = 7, category = [[]], dispval = [[]], isLocked = false, }
    MetaData["$METACOLOURTAG"] =
    {

}
    MetaData["ability_ext"] = {desc = [[]], type = 4, category = [[]], dispval = [[]], }

And here's the one from the WXP

simvis_attributes =
    {
    selection_child = 1,
    selection_ground = 1,
    vis_scale_min = 1.50,
    vis_scale_max = 1.50,

-- Shadow Types:
    -- 0 = None
    -- 1 = blob (rotated by light dir)
    -- 2 = blob (rotated by object dir)
    -- 3 = shadow map
    -- 4 = stencil shadow volume
    shadow_type = 2,
    shadow_scale = 0.09,
    distance_game_mesh_lod = 80,

vehicle_physics = 1,

vehicle_width = 3.5,
    vehicle_length = 5.0,
    vehicle_nr_wheels = 3,
    vehicle_spring_constant = 0.4,
    vehicle_damper_constant = 0.3,
    vehicle_wheel_travel = 0.3,
    vehicle_acceleration_factor = 2,
    vehicle_gravity = 1.0, -- normal earth gravity
    vehicle_debug_render = 0,

occludee = 1,
    }

simvis_attributes_strings =
    {
    shadow_texture = "Shadows/shadow_dir_blob-whirlwind.tga"
    }
    Last edited by stringsNwood; 29th Jun 08 at 6:11 PM.

AE Lua

this lua is for attrib editing. the one you want is the other one you posted. rename that to the model name and put it here:

data/art/ebps/races/racefolder/troops. race folder is the race where the model belongs to.

stringsNwood
    I did just that.

I put the bottem .lua in

Dawn of War/Mod_Name/Data/Art/EBPs/races/Imperial_guard/troops

and I didn't get any results, pluss I had to add races>ect mannualy

did you name the file after the model name? not the ebp but the actual models whm and whe name?

also what is the object you are trying to scale? is it the basilisk model? if so copy the whe and whm and rename them to what ever. that way you wont increase the scale of other basilisks.

stringsNwood
    Ok so just to clear things up

I extract the basilik.whe and .whm from WXP.sga

I rename it to Railgun.whe and .whm

Then I put these in

Dawn of War/Mod_Name/data/art/ebps/races/Imperial_guard/troops

but with the .lua too right?

O.K. i made my units and buildings bigger by doing this in their .lua files, now how can I actually make the enlarged parts "solid", so that the units and structures don't go through each other?

stringsnwood: that is correct, you should have the lua in the folder aswell named exactly the same as the railgun model.

if it still doesnt work, then id have to ask did you copy one of the exsisting files or create a new text doc and name it that? if so you would have to make sure its saved as lua type.

@achronos

read the first page again -clipping- ;D

so environment models are not to be resized ??? that's a very bad news for my Frozen Impact prometheum tanks !! i wantedto resize some tau object and retexture them, too bad. If someone know how to do this i'll be glad to learn from him. Unfortunatly 3DS is a not for me to use. But if a good soul iswilling to do this work for me i'll be more than thankfull.( utopia rules!)

Mystecore
    Has anyone been able to resize the npc troops? Every other race works ok but for them I cannot get it to work. Tried with single_player/troops/ and npc/troops neither seems to do anything...
    Damn tiny civilians...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information