It's a few posts up. Current is 1.1.06.
After playing this with a friend across the LAN Vs. AI. I can say it delivered some intense infantry battles and some absolutely vicious action, spot on
"I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry."
I've decided to make a guide to how to install the mod. I want this mod to become more popular, and it would be better to have a guide for anyone to install.
1)Download the Mod HERE
2) If the file does not open, you need a program to open the .zip files. You can download a free program to open the file HERE.
3) Now open the MOD file you downloaded, called "SIO1.1.06.zip".
It should look something like this:
5) Click the "EXTRACT TO" button at the top left. Find your Company of Heroes folder, Usually in "C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes". Once you find the folder, then click okay.
6)Open up "My Computer", goto your drive (Usually C: ) and find your Company of Heroes folder. It's default is "C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes".
7)Once you are in the folder, right click RelicCoH.exe, go down to "Send To", and then click "Desktop (create shortcut)". This creates another shortcut on your desktop so that you can have one for the mod, and one for normal CoH.
8) Now go to your desktop, and rename one of your CoH shortcuts to "Infantry Only Mod", or whatever you want to name it.
***The reason for two shortcuts of CoH is that you CANNOT play regular games online, or ranked games, with the Mod shortcut. To play ranked games or regular CoH, you have to start the original shortcut.
9) Right click the new "Infantry Only" shortcut, and click PROPERTIES.
10) Go to where it says Target: "C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\RelicCoh.exe" (or your directory, whatever it is)
11) Go to the END, after the last ", and add this line, WITHOUT the quotes: " -modname Stock_Infantry_Only -dev"
12) Click apply, then okay. Dbl click and start the INFANTRY ONLY shortcut.
Another update and probably the last...
(In no order):
1 - Axis now have access to an armored car and partially upgraded storm trooper squads in the blitzkrieg doctrine. Since the allies have it, why not the axis. Didn't fully play-test this, so I haven't noticed if the AI makes use of this like it should. But it will eventually. The vehicle is capped at two and storms still at six. The player will get two different text strings when this ability isn't usable.
2 - Lowered the retreat speed of all squads (Nothing drastic). I always thought it funny how squads could streak across the battlefield. No more. This also means that retreating squads remain in enemy LOS a bit longer then they did before. Single member squads might get destroyed quicker.
3 - Added medical kits to all units to compensate for the above. Heh, it's as good an excuse as any to include this addition. Use of the med-kit is pretty cheap and works much like vanilla COH. May add some sort of weapon modifier later.
4 - Minor bug fixes, tweaks, and one big fat AI bug fix.
5 - Anyone interested in taking over or maintaining this mod?
Version: 1.1.07 [08-18-07]
A friend an I would like to alter your mod for our personal use. Basically, we would like to up the sniper limit to 2, rather than 1. I've been hunting around using Corsix' tools, but I can't seem to find the code. Where should I be looking?
By the way, badass mod. I love it, but the only way my friend will play it is if I up the sniper limit to 2. LOL I'm sure once I satisfy him on that aspect that he will love it as well.
Thanks a ton!!
Having two snipers would be cool, it'll be interesting to battle against the AI with two snipers per side as well, since it tends to be fairly aggressive in its use of those.
It is a shame that this is supposedly the last update though, but thanks for all the work guys!
Last edited by Doctor Who; 30th Aug 07 at 4:07 AM.
Well, I did use the word 'probably'... Anyway, another update is coming in the next few days or so. But I do have to say this update is really pushing the title "Stock_Infantry_Only". Why? Heavy armor is back as an ability provided you have the requirements in place. A basic Sheman for allies and a slightly upgraded StugH for the axis. Axis AI will probably get this first, as it should I think.
Bunch of other stuff I can't recall. Heh, haven't updated the mods readme file yet either so it might be a while.
Snipers? You wants two! Ya get two!
why mess up with a fantastic inf mod and put up tanks in it
@dandos or anyone else that actually pays attention to this mod!
What I meant to imply was that one or two tanks would show up during a normal game. However, seemingly good ideas can go bad... No More Heavy Armor! Bad idea. Too easy to exploit. The AI is just too stupid to use and take care of its tank. The smarter human player will own the field with even a single tank. Sad but true.
Stay tuned for the update.
Just a thought though, I've read many mods that have very interesting additions to the AI. For instance, the War on AI mod has even vehicles retreating to base under certain circumstances. The AI in that mod also repairs things fairly well. Couldn't that be done here to preserve the tank the AI gets?
Although, I have to agree, a human player will beat an AI easily.
Excellent point(s) Grump. But what makes you think I didn't already walk that isle?. In fact, the next SIO update will have a few modified criticals that I think came from djukels mod (older) in the first place. Heavily damaged engines and/or loss of main gun will force the AI to retreat its vehicles (doesn't really apply to halftracks so much). The other thing current WarOnAI has is SCAR code to monitor vehicle health.
Either way, it just doesn't matter. As a human player I can bring down the heavy armor as fast as it shows up. I can do it with sticky bombs or 'shrecks at my leisure. When the tank shows up, it's dead long before it becomes a threat. The AI can't do this. I can also save up for a singular tank and mop the AI field with it. Something else the AI can't be taught to do.
What's funny? Adding an extra sniper has more of an impact then armor. Wretched snipers...
The update is coming, but I want to be sure some of the AI changes Cpt.Combat made are actually working in this mod. Seemingly, a full base assault on the AI tends to pack AI controlled squads near the base. The harder you push on the AI base, the more AI squads tend to be there. Seems that way... [shrug]
The snipers have more of an impact? Is it that bad?
Yep... Seems so. An extra sniper causes more of a problem than a big fat tank. You wouldn't think that I'm sure...
I kind of like that extra sniper... The AI uses that unit rather well. Should have done this some time ago. Works out rather well. Fear the sniper clusters in MP type (3 vs 3) games. Three or four snipers behind a cluster of assaulting squads really makes my ass itch. Jeeps/motorcycles can't deal with them due to the squad firepower. Sniper clusters/streams can turn your day sour... But that's good!
Makes for a good game against the AI.
NOTES: (In no order)
1. Major and minor tweaks to the skirmish AI. Hopefully, this doesn't break the AI intensity in the long run. Some of this involves Cpt.Combats attempt to make the AI stronger at defending its base. Of course, I took a simpler but similar route. From what I've seen the enemy AI will tend to pack combat troops (Rifleman) near the base when under full base assault (Shouldn't be focused on taking or defending strategic points so much). At least it seems that way to me... Jury is still out on this one.
1a. Evened things out a bit between axis and ally buildings. The heavy motorpool and panzer command can't be built. Knights Cross units moved into company support building (Requires Phase 4). Only three spawners per side. Spawner regeneration pushed up a notch to compensate.
2. Axis and Ally infantry that have AT upgrades should respond more reasonably to enemy vehicle production (Not Jeeps or motorcycles). Got halftracks or light armor? --> Then you get more panzershrecks or recoilless rifles... et. Got milk?
3. SquadAI modified. Retaliation plans rewritten. Most squads will initially drop to prone position for a random period of time if able to do so. During this time they will receive less damage. This modifier only works when in open or negative cover states. The random factor simulates how some squads can make better decisions then others when in the open and under fire. Some squads will stay down longer then others. Hit the "halt" key to force them down again.
Once the random factor is exhausted, the modifier is removed and the squad will then jump up and start looking for cover --> Sometimes they act like idiots when they do this, but at least they won't leave cover and advance towards the enemy. Well, most of the time they won't.
4. Snipers capped at two per side. Nope, don't ask for more. Like I said in a previous update, the AI may or may not be sniper heavy. Reduced the sniper health levels to compensate. You might want to actually have a few jeeps or motorcycles around just in case. The AI can/will punish you with snipers.
4a. Jeeps and motorcycles beefed up a bit to handle the extra snipers.
5. Added the 'always on' vehicle_cover_ability to all vehicles used in this mod. I'm not sure why relic gave this ability to axis vehicles and missed giving it to some of the ally vehicles. Basically, if you park a vehicle in light or heavy cover the vehicle should be harder to hit.
6. Vehicles explode and damage nearby squads.
7. Bunch of other things I can't remember? (See the Readme file)
Version: 1.1.08 [09-21-07]
Last edited by UberBugz; 21st Sep 07 at 7:31 PM.
I hate to admit this, but I royally screwed up this time. The base defense code in SIO 1.1.08 is f'ed (Most of which never made it to the update at all), but it should work reasonably well in 1vs1 skirmish games --> To a point...
During my recent testing I used only 1vs1 games. One enemy, a single set of variables, and only one aitrace file to look over. When playing with more then one player, AI controlled enemies and AI allies will share the same variables. Not good!.
Things omitted from SIO 1.1.08:
1. Base attack flags not set up for more then one player (+8). Base attack threshold value set way too high.
2. Crucial timer based delay variable not included at all. This should have kept the AI thinking the base was under attack even if it isn't. Time determined as a base value plus randomness.
3. Custom unit and building purchase rules based on the above 2 variables. Should have worked like this: If the base is under attack, stop/limit taking and defending strategic points. Focus primarily on squad reinforcement and turn off the production of *all* non-essential support units (Do you really think a nebel or halftrack or jeep/motorcycle will single handedly stop an enemy infantry assault?). Lastly, focus demand towards building the cheapest and fastest infantry units available. And so on...
Unfortunately, this mod isn't compatible with OF so I don't plan on doing anything with it any time soon. However, I *am* taking what little bit that I know about AI programming and revamping the new vanilla OF AI (doesn't include the new OF content --> Haven't played this enough to know how the new units react). So far so good, at least I'm getting good unit mixes, better squad reinforcement, and semi-intelligent unit upgrades.
Sorry, just to clear up, the above post kinda confused me .
What versions does this work with, and which versions does it have the problem with?
The mod should work just fine with COH 1.71. It's not compatible with COH:OF. It probably won't be compatible with any regular 2.*.*. updates either. Like I stated, the only thing missing from this version is the newer, more capable base defense code. This only means you won't see better base defense as I intended it. But it doesn't mean the mod is useless... Just not as good at defending its base when under attack.
Lastly, since my ISP wants to screw Dial-Up customers, I'm dropping from the net. Address all other questions to Warnstaff. It was his mod from the start, and now it his in the end.
UberBugz over and out!!!
Is anybody going to pick up this project and make it compatible with OF? I love the idea of infantry combat, but I don't want to go back to CoH 1.71. As I have almost zero modding skills, I'm looking to some kind soul to give it a go.
Funny. I asked Warnstaff about recreating this mod recently and guess what? Looks like this thread gets a reply.
Yes, I'm in the process of doing this, but don't hold your breath. If I get this kind of mod to something playable I'll start another mod thread.
Why? Restricted armor use will be default (not exactly infantry only). The CW isn't exactly infantry friendly? They need more then just tommies and sappers.
Hopefully, I can get a decent game play scheme with all the factions. If not? Well, at least I had fun trying.
any ideas if this mod is to be unearthed? I loved playing Inf only.
Did you read my last post or not?
Currently, I have a personal infantry mod I use quite frequently. But its clearly a WIP and it doesn't exactly fall into the category of 'infantry-only'. Most every idea from warnstaffs original mod (plus my crap) is incorporated, but its only for ally/axis. Getting a decent CW/PE faction to work well is getting to be a pain in the arse.
Since most people aren't really interested in this type of mod, I'm not inclined to upload a WIP. Like I said, don't hold your breathe.
Lol sorry didnt see you last post there somehow
Just wanted to keep this thread alive as I like the idea of infantry only (been mucking about with this myself while trying to learn all the file stuff associated with it) and have been using the OF AI Mod as a base cuz they're just nastier with this mod!
Okay, Bugz. I think you underestimate the amount of people interested in Infantry Only. Especially for those who only play casually with friends, it gets really boring playing AI over and over again that spams the same vehicles over and over again. Infantry only adds a different flavor.
Let's disregard balance amongst the four factions completely. Leave the units the same. Let Wehr build Stormtroopers in packs of four. Disable the other CPs. Same for Americans and Rangers. CW and Commandos etc. Pretty much take out every unit except infantry and artillery. I'm not sure how hard that would be, but you seem to have the know how and even though you don't seem interested at all at this point, it would certainly be nice for the community.
If you ever wanted to do a proper infantry only mod that changed some things around in regards to command points, balance, etc, you could, but for now, just releasing a pure infantry only (+ artillery) mod I think would be fine enough. (Or take the arty out, up to you)
I'll keep this short and sweet. I've no interest in people who play on-line or those that do the Co-Op thing with LAN. I've been having a lot of fun (and success) with Scar, and apparently this breaks COHOF networking (Not that I'd know --> Ask Relic).
Why not take the bull 'by the horns' and start a new (prue) infantry only mod? Something people can use with the COHOF networking?
Best of luck,
Good luck to whoever gets this mod going.
Strength and Honor
Remeber! Defeat is momentarily
Well, I'd love to start my own infantry only mod, Bugz, but unfortunately, I haven't got the know how. My knowledge of mods extends to skinning for Counter Strike Source and various other HL2 mods. Otherwise, I'm worthless.
Probably because the mod was released 2 years ago.
Yes, please dont necromancy threads. If anyone has this mod for cheapshots PM please. Locking this seeing as nothings happened since May '08
A Lannister always pays his debtOriginally Posted by Pouk
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)