Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

COH 1.7 DX10 Patch Changelog

Alarm COH 1.7 DX10 Patch Changelog

Company of Heroes Patch 1.7

Moe-edit: where to get the patch

http://www.relicrank.com/bloggo/
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showpost...0&postcount=15

Now this is mainly the Directx10 Patch for the game, it has been said previously that they would try to get SOME game play fixes and updates in, but that it would primarily focused on the graphical update.

And according to Buggo, there will be TWO versions of the 1.7 patch:
    • One will allow for us updated folks to go from 1.61 to 1.7 and will be approx 13MB in size
    • The other one will be a direct 1.0 to 1.7 patch and will be HUEG.

Alright nuggets. Here it is. The moment a lot of us have been waiting for.

Please note that Patch 1.7 will go live today. It will likely happen at 11 AM PST, at which time the servers will be down to deploy the patch. This may take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.

In order to ensure this patch works correctly, please make sure your video card is updated to the LATEST DRIVERS.
    Here is the changelog:

==================================

Company of Heroes Release Notes

==================================

v1.70 05/29/2007

DX10 Features

- Edges of particles are softened where intersecting 3D objects.

- Thousands of additional ‘litter’ objects in the world.

- Improved user control over anti aliasing settings.

- Alpha to coverage anti aliasing to improve quality of alpha test objects such as shrubs.

- Lighting quality has improved by moving all calculations per pixel.

- More precise point light calculations.

- Point lights can now cast shadows.

- 3D short grass on the terrain.

- Vertical refresh synchronization is enabled by default to improve visual quality by preventing tearing of the display image, use ‘-novsync’ to disable.

- Hardware PCF for improved shadow quality.

Other Fixes

- Various crash fixes.

- Improved hack detection.

Gameplay

- Axis Pak38 50mm accuracy modifiers vs infantry target types have been reduced.

- Allied M1 57mm AT gun accuracy modifiers vs infantry target types have been reduced.

- Certain Infantry Antitank weapons (bazookas, panzerschrecks, recoilless rifles) accuracy modifiers vs infantry target types have been reduced.

- Attack ground functionality was removed from the 234 Armored Car to fix issues enabling it to fire through shot-blocking objects.

- Tank and armoured car weapon types can no longer one-shot kill 234/Puma Armoured car and M8 Armoured Cars.

Thanks and enjoy the patch!
    Comments that are mainly bitch, ranting, flaming, etc and/or off topic will be subject to deletion and warning. Don't make me regret locking this at the get go.

Technical issues with the patch should be directed towards the CoH Technical Issue section, here:
    http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=208

All other gameplay and balance issues should go into their appropriate forums.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

This looks like a good step in the right direction, with AT weapon accuracy reduction v.s infantry.

Edit: thanks Nova.

3. Homeworld Senior Member  #3
    First person with comparison shots between DX9/DX10 wins a hug from me in irc.

The drop in anti-tank weapon acurracy is a step in the right direction IMHO. But it isn't the best solution to the issue eitheir IMHO.

The easy anwser is to changing the following target table entries vs. all infantry types from false to true:

Disable_Target

Disable_Auto_search

Setting those two entries to true means these weapons simply CAN'T fire on infantry. The problem with AT guns/Panzershreks/RR's/Bazook's vs. inf isn't their accurracy, (by and large). Generally speaking they DO get a calculated miss. But thanks to their AoE nature, any decent numbers of infantry will result in the scatter still hurting somthing.

The only way to stop that is to outright stop these weapons shooting at infantry.
    I don't know what i'm talking about, ignore me.

Thousands of years ago, Egyptians worshipped what would become our ordinary housecat. The cats have never forgotten this.

Pre-emptive reminder as well:

Test out the game changes that the small updates did BEFORE going on an outright crusade that they suck etc and making a thread whose first words are "I haven't played the game yet, but these changes suck/don't work because..."

I'm actually looking forward to the "thousands of litter objects" lol.

All in all, looks good. Too bad, they didn't buff Rangers or make any significant changes.

Test out the game changes that the small updates did BEFORE going on an outright crusade that they suck etc and making a thread whose first words are "I haven't played the game yet, but these changes suck/don't work because..."
    I'm actually basing my comments off some modding i did when I first got the game. I got sick and tiered of any ind of balanced army getting owned by allied CPU AT gun spam so i gave them all 0% accurracy against inf. it didn't work too well. Scatter still beat the hell out of any kind of inf mass.

Im buying an 8800 this weekend soley for this.

I'd be tempted to do the same nichtganz - except I can't be bothered to go for an upgrade to Vista right now :o(

Looks good btw, the high effectiveness of AT guns vs inf is my only real gripe with the game at the moment, glad to see it addressed in any way.

redforth
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrubMiK
    I'd be tempted to do the same nichtganz - except I can't be bothered to go for an upgrade to Vista right now :o(

Looks good btw, the high effectiveness of AT guns vs inf is my only real gripe with the game at the moment, glad to see it addressed in any way.
    You actually brought up a good point.
    For those who don't know

YOU HAVE TO HAVE WINDOW'S VISTA AND A DIRECTX 10 CAPABLE VIDEO CARD TO SEE ANY GRAPHICAL IMPROVEMENT.

There's always a few who aren't in the loop and will inevitably raise their voice in protest when they can't use dx10 on xp with a 7600gt

11. Forum Subscriber  #11
    Couldn't they have made a patch without the DX10 fixes for people who don't have Vista and a DX10 GFX card?
    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

12. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #12
    Quote Originally Posted by invictus
    Couldn't they have made a patch without the DX10 fixes for people who don't have Vista and a DX10 GFX card?
    They did, it's the 1.7 download. If you have XP or vist without a DX10 card, you won't be able to use the DX10 graphics is all.

Off topic posts deleted.

Wonder if the V-Sync issue from 1.6 was fixed.

Excited to see if theres any performance loss/gain with this dx10 stuff...

15. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #15
    Hasperon:

- Vertical refresh synchronization is enabled by default to improve visual quality by preventing tearing of the display image, use ‘-novsync’ to disable.

Ummm yeah, below is a (slight doadgy) comparason, bloggo posted the pictures.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/685/dx10aagx4.jpg
    Ill post the url because image is too big.
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

General George S. Patton.

What exactly is that supposed to show us?

US soldier half obscured by a sheet of slightly tinted glass?

As I said doadgy

strategery
    What exactly is that supposed to show us?
    This is a little better.

DX9:

DX10:

DX9 looks better, DX10 makes the guy look like the cool-aid man.

"OOOOHHHHH YYYYEEEEAAAHHHHH!!"

not exactly the best shot to use for comparison. I know at the open house the devs who were working on the DX10 update showed us some DX9/DX10 picture which THOSE looked phenomenal and showed the differences greatly.

DaWolf
    These are poor comparison shots. Buggo didn't even really specify which one was DX9 and which one was DX10, so it's speculation as to which is which.

Besides, they don't really show much do they? I mean, it just looks like a change in lighting to me.. Not very useful. Hopefully someone can upload some better comparisons once they get the patch installed...

Yeah, there isn't really anything there that couldn't be accomplished with DX9 CoH.

strategery
    Actually it's pretty easy to tell which one is DX9 if you recently played the campaign :P. When they storm the bunker pre-dx10 all the lighting was non-existent and the screen seemed to have this red filter applied to it, like the first shot above.

I'm planning on upgraded my box to Vista tonight to put this DX10 patch through it's paces. If someone hasn't beaten me to it by the time I finish up, I'll post some shots. Who knows. Maybe buggo will beat me to it :S.

DaWolf
    Actually it's pretty easy to tell which one is DX9 if you recently played the campaign :P.
    Ahh, that makes sense. Haven't played the campaign in forever.

Actually it's pretty easy to tell which one is DX9 if you recently played the campaign :P.
    It wasn't a question of which one was which, it was a question of how exactly DX10 was doing anything in that shot that could not be accomplished with 9.

strategery
    Wasn't talking to you Kaska

Buggo didn't even really specify which one was DX9 and which one was DX10, so it's speculation as to which is which.
    And as to wether it could or could not be accomplished with Dx9 or not is anyones guess. But one would assume that if the Relic coders could have done it with DX9, and maintained a respectable performance level, they would have. Afterall, they don't see a dime from video card or OS sales anyway.

No, but they do reap the PR benefits from being one of the first DX 10 games on the market.

strategery
    While true. CoH is not exactly what I would call a DX10 showcaser.

are we gonna have a hot fix for the axis Neble, Mortar, and Stuka? and what of the uber textures?

DaWolf
    Wasn't this whole making CoH a DX10 game part of Relic's contractual obligations for their "Games for Windows" labeling?

I don't see why they would have bothered with doing this to the vanilla CoH so soon otherwise. I can see doing it for CoH:OF as part of the development for that game, but there is no reason to release a separate DX10 patch for vanilla CoH at this time.

strategery
    I don't know if GFW requires a game to be DX10 compliant. As far as I know I don't believe SupCom(another game under the GFW label) is DX10 compliant.

Though I think they maybe releasing a patch for that too. So I have no clue..

Edit:

No Kaskad, you replied after I started posting that. I didn't quote the post I was replying too because I, rather stupidly, thought my post would wind up directly below it.

Then you posted :S

34. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #34
    You'll notice that the muzzle flash light source is now casting a shadow. You couldn't do that in DX9.

roddrip
    THANKYOU! Thankyou for releasing a 1.0-7.0 patch relic! I love you!

Also in that picture, you notice how rear sights of the thompson casts a shadow on the guys chin? pretty neato stuff.

jscamba26
    here is another mirror for the patch

http://www.fangaming.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=1409

owwww, now I want to get Vista and a cool new card. MAN thats gonna cost a lot of money

No Kaskad, you replied after I started posting that. I didn't quote the post I was replying too because I, rather stupidly, thought my post would wind up directly below it.

Then you posted :S
    Oh, I see.

I don't see why they would have bothered with doing this to the vanilla CoH so soon otherwise. I can see doing it for CoH:OF as part of the development for that game, but there is no reason to release a separate DX10 patch for vanilla CoH at this time.
    - It gives people a reason to reinstall CoH -> buy OF
    - CoH is no really new game anymore, so anything helping the game to contest with newer titles helps

- if you´re always looking for a real reason, you´re wrong at relic

Relic to me is one of the few companies, that do things because they just think it´s cool, and by that make the games cool.
    That´s why relic is the only studio I´d buy a game from without knowing anything about it (which will never happen, thanks to the above stated ^^)

EroticCompany
    Has Relic fixed the bug which crash on ultra texture setting yet? I heard from someone that this issue still exists...

Buggo stated that it *should* have been fixed...

Relic to me is one of the few companies, that do things because they just think it´s cool, and by that make the games cool.
    I don't think that's quite how it works. Every company, no matter what, exists to make money. It's always a safe bet that when you get something free from them, there's an ulterior motive.

Of course you´re right, but there are always diffrences in the attitude and effort the designers put in their work.

It´s like the Matrix trilogy... relic does the first movie, EA the se-/prequels ^^

If you´re totally right and it´s just to make money, it´s my favourite in regards of games

But we´re gettin OT here ^^

45. Child's Play Donor  #45
    The alterior motive is that they retain customers who will continue to buy their products and who will encourage others to buy them as well because of the good support. It'll be nifty for Vista users to feel like it was worth upgrading and they're getting some return on their investment, so I'm sure MS are also chuffed that this has arrived.

Man, I've gotta find someone who's got a DX10 card and Vista :/

Skeletons777
    im upset, this patch still doesnt solve the axis blitz or the allied armor problems

Winner909
    do 1.6 replays work in 1.7?

Or only if there are no AT guns shooting at infantry.

MrSatan

Yeah

First off let me say "Hell Yeah, about time we got a damn DX10 game". I didn't go and buy Vista and an 8800 for nothing. As soon as I get home from work I will install the patch and see how things have changed.

I have a question though. Did the texture problem for cards with more then 256mb of RAM get fixed with Vista or is that still in the works?

49. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #49
    MrSatan:

Yes, Ultra textures should work now with the latest 1.7 patch in DX10 mode. You'll also need the latest BETA nvidia drivers as well though.

I'm a bit disappointedly they didn't make any other balance changes... particularly as now it looks as if there's not going to be a balance patch before Opposing Fronts.

*sigh* ...oh well...

I guess they've at least been pretty onto it with the AT sniping infantry thing.

I really hope they fix the worst of the doctrine stuff before Opposing Fronts. For me its certainly going to be the difference between rushing out madly to buy it, versus well... I dunno - buying it anyway, but just being a bit less enthusiastic...
    Last edited by Nerdinheimer; 31st May 07 at 6:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information