Best modern comic strip and why

Best modern comic strip and why

A good comic is part of a dying age. As it stands right now, when I read the paper, I only look out for 2 or 3 strips, with the rest being absolute rubbish. Gone are the Farsides and the calvin and hobbes, only to be replaced with lackluster imitations that lack the special magic a comic requires to cause that ticklish sensation within us called laughter.

Luckily, not all hope is lost as there are still a few gems out there to be treasured. This is a thread to discuss these gems, to reveal these sacred treasures to the rest of your peers, and perhaps to discover a few pricless pearls of your own. This is a thread to discuss what you consider the best modern comic strip around. State the name, the author is known, the newspaper it is found, if possible post a thumbnail of a sample (no more than 2 please! And again, thumbnail!), but most importantly state why this comic is the best, heads above the rest, worthy of special attention.

My first nomination for the best current comic is a little series called speedbump. Its not found in the actual houston chronicle, but can be found on their online paper. It reminds of old school gary larson farside comics in the simple one panel design with caption, but unlike gary larson's comics this particular series is more focused at poking fun of people directly, rather than just the way they think, the gary larson method.

Here is a sample. I particularly like the way the people are drawn, with overemphasized noses and beadish eyes, indicating societies evergrowing curiousity coupled with an increasing sense of blindness. This is a common theme in the series. He also seems to use black and white better than most comics of the same style, and best of all, sticks to subjects that even a child can grasp, rather than being obtuse and cloudy (ie Non sequitur), not attempting to use big words or grown up topics alone to draw a snigger (ie Non sequitur). All in all, the series is my most enjoyable and a gem, one worth going out of your way to read everyday.

(I particularly like this one as I'm somewhat of a philosophy buff and I can relate, perhaps a bit too closely)
    Apple wants to give everyone "the business."

Colonel Atlason
    Perry Bible Fellowship. Even though its not normal print comic and usually only found on the internet, I can safely say that I find it many times funnier than most modern print conic strips.

This was the one that pushed me over:
    http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=0PBF62008B...nd_Rudy.jpg#63

Not bad... most are bawdy but the artwork is nice.

If I may steal one, I like this one
    http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF206-Game_Boy.jpg#191

The colors are nice to the eyes, consistent with the theme, and the pun is quite clever. I almost missed it but then look again and there it is staring you in the face.

Colonel Atlason wins the thread. I thought only some of my friends and I knew about the Perry Bible Fellowship.

Here's my top 2 favorites.
    http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=0PBF14056BC-Puppy_Wish.jpg#15
    http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=0PBF40030B...Trouble.gif#41
    Also, I grew up with Foxtrot and Calvin and Hobbes. Undoubtedly my top 2 favorite comics of all time.

5. Forum Subscriber  #5
    PBF
    xkcd

And of course, classic Doonesbury, but only when others are not available.

Fight tuberculosis folks!
    William S. Burroughs

Octavius Drake
    I personally am a fan of Calvin and hobbes and Foxtrot. I have the entire Calvin and Hobbes collection and just adore it. Foxtrot is good to, although sad that Bill Amend is retiring from dailies.

8. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #8
    I enjoyed allot of the Sexy Loser's strips but meh, too adult for these boards.

Most of mine are web-comics really, and I can't think of any single ones that stand out, many have a continuing story you need to follow.

I find this one somewhat amusing.
    Last edited by nurizeko; 6th Jul 07 at 4:17 AM.

9. Boardwars Senior Member  #9
    OMAE WA MO SLAMDEIRU Master Chief's Avatar
    I love Calvin and Hobbes and Foxtrot, I have all of the Calvin and Hobbes collections and I think all of the Foxtrot ones that have been released. But as for what's in the newspapers today, my favorite would be Dilbert. I find it to be funny most of the time. It's pretty sarcastic, but I like how stupid it can be. Dogbert's probably one of the best characters. Here's a good example:
    Come on and slam and welcome to the jam

10. Child's Play Donor  #10
    My favourite is Sluggy Freelance, webcomic only. Been following it for a couple years now. It can be hard to get into since it can be pretty weird and follows an overall story that'll be ten years long next month. Still, the author, Pete Abrams, is not only a good humorist but a good storyteller otherwise, too, and he's well worth following in my opinion. A few strips that work standalone:

Bigger Sunday strip, Quidsatz Haderach.
    Winter is coming.

hehe... choloroform candles...

I cannot BELIEVE that nobody has mentioned The Far Side yet.

It strikes that perfect balance between the weirdness and hilarity. Some of the jokes are pretty obscure, but that only makes them all the funnier when you figure them out.

I'd post a couple here, but there aren't very many on the Internet (I don't want to post them - the reason there aren't very many is because Gary Larson didn't want them to be).
    Last edited by Cyberbob; 6th Jul 07 at 10:08 AM.

I think that by modern, they mean still going.

yeah far side isn' ongoing, though was probably the best comic series ever. Again, consistent themes such as "what animals do when people aren't looking" and general poking at our superiority complex, far side was very good. I think far side is probably the predecessor of several 1 panel comic strips. Larson was a really weird guy. did anyone ever read his anthology of how he developed farside?

Quote Originally Posted by SubakuGaara
    did anyone ever read his anthology of how he developed farside?
    If you're referring to The Prehistory of The Far Side, yeah. It's in my collection, actually.

That anecdote with his older brother... I'd have punched that kid in the face.

Captain Zog
    Favourite current runner is Achewood quite long running with many story arcs, blogs for the characters, really awesome and funny stuff.

Example of a recent one

The comic i like(and that saying allot since i don't usually follow comics) is Ctrl-Alt-Del because it is funny and also raises serious questions in an amusing way.

If anyone want a good satire about life, love, religions and a pig on crack pot. Try visiting this http://www.sinfest.net/. What I like about it that the author is a japanese who knows alot about western slangs.

One of the good strip.

19. Forum Subscriber  #19
    I've got some good comics saved on my hard disk, but they're NSFW so I can't post them. It's a shame, because most people would spilt their sides with laughter.
    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

20. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #20
    presenting...

The Halflife of Gordon Frohman

http://www.hlcomic.com/

Who knows maybe your bored enough to like it.

I cant remember his name, but theres a guy who does comic panels for the Times newspaper in the UK.

An example of his work.

He's good at political commentary with ink and imagery, but its even better when he goes for a laugh.

Penny Arcade also has its more notable strips, though most are fairly good.

Spoiler

21. General Discussions Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #21
    Oppressive Forces of Titty n0z3k1ll3r's Avatar
    I personally love Schlock Mercenary. Actually quite good sci fi even without the humor, and the humor is pretty good.

Let's Play Europa Universalis 3: Divine Wind
    Let's Play Master of Magic: Abandoned
    In the beginning there was nothing. Then Steam crashed.

I don't really see comics strip,but after seeing Colonel Atlason advise on Perry Bible Fellowship i am hooked on it its really good,thanks.

TSOALR is worth following, but the only dailies I read are Overboard and Bizarro.

Hopefully at the lake. Miss that place terribly in the winter.
    Nuri, I'm sorry, but I must point out the irony of you having posted "I can't remember his name" regarding the author of a comic, when that author has signed the lower right hand corner of the example of the comic you posted.

I cannot accept responsibility if other people giggle.

-- Retro

I have to say XKCD

These speak for themselves

First off: We confining our discussion to newspaper comics (since op started with newspaper?)

Second off: At least talk about your favored comic. Granted at times it's hard to articulate the qualities, but you can at least give an example so we can get an idea. (Edit: Or post a link or image in spoiler tags, though some pages may have policies against that kind of thing, so watch your tags for "no hotlinking" pictures).

In the newspaper I've begun to take a liking to Pearls Before Swine, La Cuaracha & Lio. Pearls Before Swine seems more...I guess situational comedy. Using today's as an example, it pokes fun at Don't Ask Don't Tell while simultaneously referencing a different comic strip (but I don't recall which comic strip they come from).

La Cuaracha ("The Cockroach" I think) primarily focuses on cultural issues for Hispanics, and often satirizes the culture from the inside perspective, or draws on the stereotypes of how people see and deal with Hispanics.

Lio often draws on plays on ideas for humor. In one, a character is wronged and pulls out an accurately drawn RPG-7. In todays, the character opens a book in a library, and it sucks in him ("Books...your gateway to adventure"). Granted I've seen this one in Perry Bible as well, but it's a popular whimsical interpretation on the concept.

Pearls before Swine is plot driven comedy.
    "In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make." ~Paris Hilton

28. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #28
    Nuri, I'm sorry, but I must point out the irony of you having posted "I can't remember his name" regarding the author of a comic, when that author has signed the lower right hand corner of the example of the comic you posted.

I cannot accept responsibility if other people giggle.

-- Retro
    Fair enough, guess now is as good as any time to admit I am not good at reading squiggly writing.

After sticking my face into the screen I would make the wild guess his name is Peter Brookes, but it would be a lucky guess at best.

but I must point out the irony

First off: We confining our discussion to newspaper comics (since op started with newspaper?)
    Um...no.

Edit: To articulate my point a little, allot of popular and favorate modern comics are online now, and it seems a rather thechnophobic arbitrary distinction to deny online entries merely because they are not in printed form. Would you have disregarded the works of the old masters if they had, had a high quality scanner, scanned their art onto it, posted it on a website, then hid the original away?.

Do we belittle or cheapen the works of a modern artist, who shares their work with the world via the digital channels open to them?.

No.

Many web comics are good, and sometimes even better then newspaper printed strips.

Essentially I see no reason for this sweeping ban on an entire sub-group of the genre when there is little to no genuine valid reason for it.

I don't even think the OP stated that the thread was about newspaper strips only either.

Oh and on your second point, I liked the ones I mentioned because their funny, the art-style is easy on my eyes, and they sometimes make witty or clever humorous remarks on popular culture or current affairs.

I'd vote my own comic, 'Hiccups'. But that's not in a paper yet, so it's not allowed

Seriously though,
    I agree with Master Chief

Dilbert is perhaps the best modern comic at the moment.
    But I think Wally is funnier than Dogbert it. Just the way he looks cracks me up. The pointy-haired-boss (That is his name) is also great.
    But I just love how the comics are written. It takes normal situations in work, and just goes wild with them.
    I think that's what I like about it. It's surreal and stupid, and that cracks me up. Scott Adams almost seems to go:
    "Ok, I'll do that. Now, how can I make that even more silly?"
    And just ends up churning out gold.
    I mean, Dilbert growing an exoskeleton? Great stuff!

To be honest, I used to think that Garfield was the best comic. However, I think it's starting to slip. During the 90's, the comic was absolutely awesome, but a lot of the recent comics sometimes seem to be less funny. It seems to be starting to lose its edge. There are still a few gems from time-to-time, but overall, it's losing it, somewhat
    My website is finally up!

http://www.amethyst-cartoons.co.uk/index.html

UPDATED: Now with 'Forum Toons'

Baja_Fireork
    I am a huge webcomics fan, much more than print. The only print comic I can tolerate period anymore is Doonsbery, which is very clever in my opinion.

But for webcomics, wow, there's a lot.

My favorite would be Dinosaur Comics, for sure. Some might think it retarded in the fact that it does not change its art ever, but the beauty lies in the writing, which is smart and hilarious. T-Rex is without a doubt one of my favorite characters in any comic strip.

Perry Bible Fellowship
    is also a smart, if somewhat disgusting, comic that is getting pretty popular. The parallels between it and Far Side are clear, but both each have their own style. I introduced this one to my friends, and they absolutely loved it.

My favorite character based comic would be Achewood, by Chris Onstad. The overarching plots are very good, if surreal, and you simply love the characters. It's a long strip, so it takes a bit to read it through, but seriously, it's worth it to see the awesomeness that is the character of Ray, rich, naive, playboy extraordinaire

And finally, a little known comic that I love is The Spiders. It's a non- humorous comic, actually very dark and serious in nature, which deals with an alternate version of the Afganistan War in which devices called Spiders, walking cameras looking like metal spiders, are deployed all over the country and are controlled by average Americans doing their part to fight the war. Through the eye of these spiders, a multi- story drama is told, focusing on a reluctant ex-Taliban soldier, an Afgan woman who is seeking blood, and an American woman soldier struggling through the horrific events talking place. The art style is awesome, and the feel of the comic is top notch.

These are all great comics that I really enjoy. Webcomics are a great medium, and a lot of cool stuff comes out of them. All of these are much better than crap that comes in the papers, or 8-Bit Theater

thread is open to any comic series as long as its ongoing and actually a series (ie no editorial comics by random people)

in addition, a lot of you guys are forgetting the two most integral parts: why you like the comic and where the comic is (ie the paper, website, etc). Why you think the comic is the best around may help give someone a new perspective on something he formerly was overlooking.Thanks

So far it has been enjoyable. i've found 3 series I'll be keeping my eye on. BTW, @sidewinder, that xvcd comic seems quite interesting. interesting art, nice topic play, very good. Where can it be found?

about pearl before swine, you know, I always found it to be that sort of textbook, family circus, kinda humor, alittle too predictable. Where is the intentional misleading, the word play, the imagery, the edge to it?

I've been reading ctrl alt del for the last 2 hours. its pretty ridiculous. ethan's finding lilah has motivated me to get off my ass and get a girlfriend. maybe a gamer chick... but yeah good stuff. Very funny series. I especially like the xbox man that he made... 10+ funny points

Subaku: the xkcd comic can be found here

One of my favorite comics, aside from these mentioned already is Irregular Webcomic.

They are comics often made out of photo stills of the author himself and Lego figures. He has many storylines going on at once and updates them regulary. What i like most about this comic is the way the author looks (he just looks so funny in his photos ) and his little explenations under every comic. Just read it from the beginning it's genius i tell you.
    Example:
    http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/1.html

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/com...eme=1&dir=prev

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/com...eme=1&dir=next

Another comic also deserves to be mentioned. Count Your Sheep

It may not be haha funny but it has it's moments where you just get a good feeling from reading it. I also like the painting style quite a bit.
    Example:

Last edited by Glubtrak; 7th Jul 07 at 4:44 PM.

won't destroy gravity CommodoreKitty's Avatar
    I know it's been mentioned, but I think Penny Arcade is the best modern comic. I use to love, and still love, The Far Side, but I have seen nothing about this for years, so I think that it may have died. But, it definately was my favorite for many years, and I can't really put my finger on why iliked it so much, I just did.

Dilbert is a classic, and it's been made into a show too. I don't follow it that much, but when I do I always get a good laugh out of it. I would say this is definately one of the best seeing as it is very well known, and funny too.

To elaborate more on Penny Arcade, I like it so much because it is very down to earth, it's about games. Most everyone can relate to that, which is a plus. Not to mention, I really like they way it is drawn.
    smaller than color

¯\(O_o)/¯¯\(o_O)/¯ santiago4ever's Avatar
    "Misfile" >:3

"Questionable Content" ^_^

"Queen of Wands" (yes it finished years back but it's still awesome)

"Boy meets Boy" and "Friendly Hostility" was both by the same person, one is ongoing the other is finished.

And then there's always "Jack" by David Hopkins which I fear might be a bit too explicit for most people... If you've got a sensitive mind don't search for it.
    Non mihi,
    non tibi,
    sed nobis.

Calvin and Hobbes.

In terms of sheer creative genius in the medium of humour, nothing else even comes close. Calvin's imagination on its own is enough to put most other modern strips to shame. The only thing that I can think of that compares favourably to it is Bloom County, but I think that Bill Watterson stopped doing it years ago. I guess Calvin and Hobbes hasn't been running anything new in a few years either, but I still think it's pretty "modern".
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Questionable Content is one of my favourites. A fair bit of depth and a lot of hilarity.
    Inverloch is also a very good story.

I have no problem with God, I just can't stand his fan club.

Hmmm... tough question. Problem is that individual strips can be of such uneven quality.

If I had to pick a single modern comic strip out of EVERYTHING I've read, I would probably pick Opus, even though I dont read it much. Funny, well drawn, topical, smart, balanced.
    Remember: you're a blogger. Pretense is your co-pilot.

Baja_Fireork
    I forgot completely about Opus. It's a very good comic as well, if a bit outclassed by Bloom County.

To be honest, I thought this was about still running comics. If I was to include everything, than I must say that Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side are without a doubt the best comics of all time. Both are simply remarkable in their own way, although Calvin and Hobbes has the edge here. It had great humor, but also, a sense of imagination and exploration that I have never seen in any fictional work period. There has been so many imitators, but none have come close. The characters of Calvin and Hobbes are also my favorite comic characters.

The Far Side lacks any of the emotion and charm of Calvin and Hobbes, but its humor is unrivaled. Few comics ever make me really laugh, but the Far Side did it consistantly. Basically, it's everything PBF is, but better (not to be down on PBF in anyway).

And for the record, I really feel that Ctrl Alt Del is a very poor, unfunny comic. The characters are lacking, and the whole affair feels like a toned down, B- version of Penny Arcade. I don't recommend it at all.

I use to love, and still love, The Far Side, but I have seen nothing about this for years, so I think that it may have died.
    Gary Larson, the guy who drew it, retired and ended the comic, as far as I'm aware

What made it funny was how random it was. Gary wasn't restricted by set characters or certain story-lines. He could work from anything.
    I think this forced him to be good. The thing is, a comic with set characters can sometimes jus fall back on the character's 'development' or cliches to help them out, which allows them to get away with crummy jokes.
    But as Gary didn't have this to fall back on, each comic had to be new and very funny, and fortunately, it was.
    I jus love the one with the Native Americans on the cliff, saying:
    "Excuse me, is that the Chattanooga-Iron horse?"
    That one made me laugh a lot
    It's the drawings aswell. They just look funny too

"We eat and drink ideas, and are clothed with ideas."
    ---George Berkeley

42. General Discussions Senior Member  #42
    Whaat happened to gary larson?
    Geeks....
    http://www.mathematik.tu-bs.de/FA-Wo...polarbears.jpg (not my fav by far, just one I found)
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t/0df5e4cd.jpg

Oh, mentioned a few posts above xD. He is the best, by far.

That alien far side panel in the above post is rivaled only by the one with alien that look like traffic lights standing in a group, speaking through a communicator, and saying "Commander, we have people posted at every street corner. The invasion can begin." Fucking priceless.

Only reason I didn't mention the Far Side is because I didn't think it was "modern" enough.

I only read 2 web comics regularly and like them both. Turnsignals on a landraider and cyanide and happiness.

turnsignals - www.tsoalr.com
    cyanide - http://www.explosm.net/comics/15/

I like turnsignals because it includes 2 of my favorate things. Comedy and warhammer 40k and cyanide because of it's randomness.

http://tsoalr.com/comic.php?id=348&s...serkerEnvy.gif
    ]

I couldnt find it via fast googling, but my favorite far side has to be Murray, King of the Salesmen, waving goodbye to his new eskimo friends and their new freezers.

@WalkerK19: Sigh... if your going to quote Sinfest then at least show the very first one. There is nothing better than this:
    I have a London based Commission service that includes both Building and Painting.
    Armies, single figures or centerpiece units!
    PM me and I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Have we all forgotten our own kin?

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15

I think this has all the makings of a good comic; action, romance, humor, explosions, crap I don't understand, plus it's well written and has all the hallmarks of a classic.

It's message also hits close to home, and it's relavent to genorations past, presant, and maybe future.
    Life goes on EXCEPT FOR YOU! ^^

Thread Information