I think CoH is the best RTS game at the moment, I'm playing it from when I bought it (well, not literally) and I must say it is great but
I think there are some things where it miss something, here is my opinion:
- First of all as per Warhammer 40000 DoW it miss campaigns of other factions, why not a german campaing? (it's not the same thing to have an expasion pack with the new faction campaing, it still miss one campaing)
Also single player objectives maps could have been a great add to the game. The only one I saw around is D-Day Coop, which is for multiplayer in this case but it fits the example.
This side of the game could have been greatly expanded. Money issue? Commercial interest? ?? I think really interested people know waiting for things and are willing to pay well for it if it deserves to. I could pay 100€ or more (I'm not joking) for a VERY complete game that will be remembered for the rest of the time being, this one is close to.. instead of 49€ and having W40k DoW "happy hour" which I already have.
- Day/Night Cycle, this is a must be for CoH. Basically almost all mods add it, but there are people who don't like using mods to have 1 great feature and 10 unwanted features, or they may simply want to keep the game vanilla.
So far I was not able to find a Day/Night cycle stand-alone mod (I don't know if the expansion pack will add this feature but I hope for a patch for CoH anyway).
- Tanks and motorized veichles/bykes should really use fuel, and a few manpower for the cap. As well as some powers like the airborne scout (still I don't get why it use munitions to fly over the battlefield shooting anything, are they using munitions in the fuel tank?) All units should also have a cap for munitions if they are supposed to fire something.
- This is not an AI only issue. Powers are totally unbalancing the game, all recharge times should be hugely higher, on bigger maps when there are huge amount of resources AI start to use devastating powers (AI really cheat with this, it always know how to hit every single unit you have with a single airborne run or a round of 105 barrage) every second and "try" to do something become impossible, you can only watch. Sometimes I saw EVERY shot of a 105 perfect hit every targets in the screen, nothing survived.
In this situation if there are two or more allied airborne doctrines together you lose in 2 minutes.
This may be resolved by adding an option to disable active powers (or all powers) in the game when setting up your fight.
- I think Axis AT gun has a bug, when the crew get killed and replaced it loose the ability to stealth while the Allied AT gun still has AP in this situation, forcing a total replacement.
- All players should have a way to counter airborne effectively.
- AGEIA Physx support?
Artificial Intelligence issues:
- AI should often repair bridges, specially if enemy is making a devastating defence point on the only available passage.
- Higher difficulty does not mean the AI cheat getting more resources, more accuracy, ecc resulting in a very unbalanced game. It should mean AI is more clever at tactics,
(f.e.: bridges and narrow or elevated passages are tactical advantages. A bridge should be guarded, made explode if necessary or prevent your opponent to do so) trying to counter your tactics.
Not sending every single unit he has on one choke point where they probably get kill in few seconds.
I know this is a hot point, I've read answers like "play with humans not AI" and similar..but that simply it's not the point.
I play with both, it is fun, but it is different and for different situations. Please don't blame someone just because he ask for more tactical AI, you don't know who is front of you or what he is doing.
- AI better triangulating of fire archs. I saw many times 4 or more AT guns placed one to the other in a row firing in front of the enemy. This is totally wrong, tanks are weaker to side and rear shots so AT should be placed triangulating the incoming targets position (f.e.: one bridge) in order to hit targets more efficently. Also AI has a unique kind of way on placing 88's in places where they will probably never be used, no line of sight or where have a very higher probability to cause heavy friendly fire.
- AI always know exactly what and where your units are and how they are placed, no matter the fog of war, AI exactly know that 10 kilometers away where he does not have scouts there are buildings, AT emplacements, ecc.., you can?
Maybe yes I may suppose there are thingies there but I can not know their exact position and the face they are guarding without sending a recon squad, a stealth mission or an airborne scout.
Ok I think that's all I can think about at the moment, looking forward to an open discussion possibly without flames in another appropriate thread (I've read the rules can you believe it?)
If you feel insulted in some way by the text I wrote I apologize in advice as I'm not english motherlanguage (and quite tired right now) and thats the best I can do.