I don't like playong with the same units with a différent name
so these are some game-weels that haven't been used yet in CoH. Some of them could be used in new faction to make them different from the existing ones.
(I've played DoW some years ago I've realised that some of my ideas were used in this game but I don't remember everything. That could be interesting to mix some DoW gameplay weels in CoH)
- A Commander tree capacity that neutralise or capture a ressource point.
- A unit that secure the sector in witch il stands (like the captain imrove british defence in his sector)
- A capacity (uinit/commander) that give you ressources when killing.
- Units that earn vet by... just staying alive. They will gain vet X minutes after being created.
- Earning veterancy by staying in your or the enemy territory (ennemy seems much better)
- Earning vet by using ressources like WM but for an only one unit.
- vet improvement only available in a speciic territory.
- A bulding system where you can only build a main basic bulding that build just a basic unit then you upgrade it in différent way to unlock diférents specific units. A bit like the eldars if I remember well but the upgrade could unlock more than one unit type.
- Bunkers that are linked by tunnels (fictitious) so that units can move from a bunker to the other (dwarves can do that in battle for middle earth 2)((this game sucks dont buy it))
- Alow a faction to choose différent Advanced HQ for instance a radar station that give a great line of sight, a bunker mode that make it more resistant and can be upgraded with guns
- A faction that could build everywhere in friendly territory each bulding could be able to secure like brits do
- An observation post witch secure and can be upgraded to shoot at the ennemies.
- Stealth bunkers with hold fire button to ambush units.
Other Ideas with Russian and Waffen SS factions for instance.
Russians won many wars because of their country's climate: Napoléon and Hitler were both pushed back by the russian winter. So I thougt that a russian army could have a full use of its territory with passive/active capacities for instance: ennemies walk slower, are unable to retreat, lose slowly health...
Staline said it need guts to be a coward in the red army. Russians won battles by sending men in front of the MG's untill the guns overheat.
Russians could have a capacity that make units unpinable but unable to retreat for a while.
Russian army had many troops but no material at the begining of the war, the first combat infantry squad could be a 8/9 men squad with poor weapons (1/2 rifle+pistols) and take automaticaly the rifles of the ennemis they kill (the guns that usualy don't fall: kar98...) this unit could have his retreat button disabled.
No retreat means that the unit don't return offen in base to renforce so they could have a free renforcement. For instance, this unit could regain a man every 20sec in friendly territory.
So that would be a win ar die unit, powerfull but risky to use.
Russian snipers could be in fact a sniper squad with a sniper and an observator, so they would be supperior to others snipers (1/2 chance not to be countersniped) There could be other rules like having one of the 2 killed force the other to retreat.
The SS could be a faction using fanatics troops mixed with spying and moral abilities.
SS units could for instance decrease ennemy moral without using LMG's, just by fighting them long enought.
+ There could be a pin ability like the retreat ability.
An SS officer could be bought in each squad individualy = adding phisicaly a new man to the squad and other abilities that could be researched in a bulding.
There could be abilities as:
-radar sweeping that shows units in FOW for a few seconds
-disinformation ability that make the opponent see units that doesn't exist on his minimap as well as hidding units that does exist.
-spy ability that allow you to see in the line of sight of one of your ennemy unit for a while.
I like the idea of commando fake arty.
An interesting unit could be a fake tank witch looks and acts as a real one with turret rotation, fire and smoke when shooting but no shell should come out and it would have no armor and few health (sheet metal tank) This unit should be a perfect copy of a tank that SS can build but much cheaper. This bluff could impress the ennemy, make him use arty for nothing, reveal his AT guns etc... (lol fake arty on fake tank) the ennemy only could know if it's a fake one by shooting at it. If light guns hurt it it's a fake one. If your infantry die in front of it... shit it was a real one !
Using mixed fake and real tanks can be realy powerfull imo.
Another unit could be a stealth MG compensed by a narrow arc of fire (2 men laying on the ground can't turn easily.)
Those two armies are just exemples, what's important is creating an original army and not only reskined units with little balance changes.
Relic you made a good job with Opposing Fronts, I hope you will use many of the good ideas posted in this tread to creat 2 real new armies with original gameplay.