Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

[Fact] OF reached gold status

Alarm [Fact] OF reached gold status

Errr...ye. Just readed it on a german games side that Opposing Fronts went GOLD-status and will be ready to sell end of september ?

Ah found an english news HERE

Whats your take on this ? Too early ? Maybe some more patches ?
    Last edited by Riess; 12th Sep 07 at 2:19 PM.

Think game balance seems ok atm, connectivity on the new RO on the other hand isn't what I'd want when they update RO, still suffering issues connecting to certain users and 4v4 games seemed far more stable in vCoH.

Is anybody else reminded of the release of DC?

bananfiend07
    Balance is nowhere near ready... I havent seen any failed connection alerts while joining since the patch earlier yesterday. Possible they think they will have it all sorted out for that early of a release... Balance though... Ughh.

Berlin, Germany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way....
    thq announced that it has gone gold not relic. thq wants it on the shelves as early as possible, they don't care if its ready or not.
    relic has a timeschedule given, if its not ready til then they're gonna release it anyway, sry but thq is just another publisher like ea or ubisoft, atari and co.

Bota99
    Indeed. That is in fact running on Yahoos business wire, found it myself wthout using the link provided (not that I doubted the OP)

I don't know what this focus on "going gold" is all about. Is relic not going to be allowed to patch OF?

I know it would be nice if one game company, somewhere, actually shipped a finished product.... but that doesn't happen anymore.

If they shipped the game like the beta is now, they'd need to do quite a bit more balancing and add team automatch -- but the game itself is much more stable now...

Well I hoped they learned of their mistakes they made with DC, looks like they didn't...

I more and more get the expression that THQ is becoming the new EA...

Europe... in Ruins... [http://www.europeinruins.com]
    THQ is trying to compete with EA which requires shortened development cycles and releasing unfinished products. It's all about the money.
    Europe In Ruins :: Persistent Online War for Company of Heroes and Opposing Fronts (MMORTS)
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/8627/europe-in-ruins
    * Voted Editor's Choice ModDB 2007
    * 9.6 ModDB Rating

Bota99
    I don't know what this focus on "going gold" is all about. Is relic not going to be allowed to patch OF?

I know it would be nice if one game company, somewhere, actually shipped a finished product.... but that doesn't happen anymore.

If they shipped the game like the beta is now, they'd need to do quite a bit more balancing and add team automatch -- but the game itself is much more stable now...
    Relic can still patch it - after people buy it and install it now. The gold master is what they send out to be copied onto disk at the factory to be sold world wide. It is in a sense, done as far as a retail version.

With the current shape of RO in the beta and to a certain degree balance it is too early in my opinion but on the other hand it won't come out until at least 2 to 3 weeks after going gold. Which means that there is still time for improving RO and releasing the changes in the 1.8 OF content patch once OF hits the shelves.

[SCREAMING BABY/WHINE]I WANT MY ARRANGED TEAM AUTOMATCH AND SPECTATING MODE THAT WAS PROMISED![/SCREAMING BABY/WHINE]

13. Dolt Dolt Dolt Dolt Dolt  #13
    Performing Chainsaw Surgery Wargrim's Avatar
    This is way to early imho. It just does not feel like it is ready.
    1885 | Maps: DoW1: 1 2 3 4 5 - L4D1: 1 | Infinity - Gallery - My Work[/size]

Bota99
    With the current shape of RO in the beta and to a certain degree balance it is too early in my opinion but on the other hand it won't come out until at least 2 to 3 weeks after going gold. Which means that there is still time for improving RO and releasing the changes in the 1.8 OF content patch once OF hits the shelves.

Exactly, Relic still has a few weeks to work on it for release day patches - but this leaves little room for error or you can have a launch day version of the initial Normandy Landing.

Whats wrong with downloading a patch upon the day of release?

Seriously guys, get a grip; Going gold doesn't mean, shipping out tomorrow, it means their ready to start producing the game onto DVDs. We still have a couple of months before the release anyhow, thats plenty of time to get everything working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by scoiatollo
    Is anybody else reminded of the release of DC?
    No, I am not. Dark Crusade didn't have an extensive beta testing stage where the community was involved, so I don't see how your drawing comparisons between Dark Crusade and Opposing Fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by fldash
    THQ is trying to compete with EA which requires shortened development cycles and releasing unfinished products. It's all about the money.
    Of course its about the money, why else would they make games such as Company of Heroes if they got nothing for their hard work. Considering the amount of time Relic had to make Opposing fronts and considering what they've put into it. (OF is at least 100% bigger than what Company of Heroes was on release, and that took 3 years to make) I'd say Relic have done a super human job.

Couple of months before release? Try a couple of weeks. Release date is end of September. 24th I believe.

hillhome
    And yet in the beta loading screen it Says November!

i concur with Akranadas . also it just means they have a gold candidate. they find something, a major bug, anything, another gold candidate is produced. don't be so fishy about it.

bananfiend07
    I'd say Relic have done a super human job.
    Id say you need to get out more. They created some models, sounds, textures and input some numbers. The guts of the game were already constructed. They've created a decent expansion. Thats not superhuman.

Id say you need to get out more. They created some models, sounds, textures and input some numbers. The guts of the game were already constructed. They've created a decent expansion. Thats not superhuman.
    well then try one yourself, im quite curious, because its so damn easy to design two new factions within a year time, balancing them with two other factions, bug fixing redesigning the online lobby and stuff.

bananfiend07
    its not like OF is an original intellectual property, its based of off history. All the modeling and the concept designing was laid down half a century ago. People release expansions all the time, some good and some bad, but OF isn't some sort of extreme miracle. Give me a break, don't sensationalize things and try to sell them to me.

I don't think my eyes can roll many more times without falling the fuck out. Have mercy.

no mercy for people who look down on others because they dont share their opinion.

Turican
    this beta is far away from gold

Holder of the Knights Cross Imperial Honour's Avatar
    Still no official news on THQ or the Relic websites so the whole thing could still be a well thought out and planned misinterpretation. Either release date I commend Relic for their work as it is not their fault THQ is able to force Relic to get CoH: OF into gold status sooner then they want since THQ is the publisher and to try and find a new publisher would take a while probably. If Relic were a Developer\Publisher company then they could have more free reign and liberty over when they really wish to start production. But then that is capitalism and stuff for you, its all about money and stuff.

Regards,
    IH

0mar
    Thread title is wrong, it should read "Command & Conquer: Opposing Fronts" has gone gold.

its not like OF is an original intellectual property, its based of off history. All the modeling and the concept designing was laid down half a century ago. People release expansions all the time, some good and some bad, but OF isn't some sort of extreme miracle. Give me a break, don't sensationalize things and try to sell them to me.
    Have you even done any modelling/animating/coding? I knew a few modellers from the DoW modteams and almost everyone of them says that modelling is not as easy as people think. The design of DoW itself was already laidout by GW yet it still takes time to produce a believable animated version of the miniature.

Sure, it's not a miracle of any sort but that doesn't make it any less of a extreme well done job, art-wise. I'd say you need to stay in more and learn a thing or two about modelling and animating, PLUS soundmaking (and acting for that matter), organizing group PLUS some other stuff that comes with making a game.

Have you even done any modelling/animating/coding? I knew a few modellers from the DoW modteams and almost everyone of them says that modelling is not as easy as people think. The design of DoW itself was already laidout by GW yet it still takes time to produce a believable animated version of the miniature.

Sure, it's not a miracle of any sort but that doesn't make it any less of a extreme well done job, art-wise. I'd say you need to stay in more and learn a thing or two about modelling and animating, PLUS soundmaking (and acting for that matter), organizing group PLUS some other stuff that comes with making a game.
    thanks, some people think making a game is like baking a cake, there is a receipt it can't be so damn hard to make one.

wraith546
    Heh i like the title of this thread

[Fact] OF reaches Gold Status?

With all the RO issues I really dont understand why they would release a game that wont work properly in all aspects

Persnickety South African Mirage Knight's Avatar
    Wait...CoH: OF is being released early?? Is THQ off their collective rocker?! The game is still plagued with connection issues and there are quite a few of us testers that feel there are still balance / bug issues that need to be sorted and resolved.

I get the distinct impression that THQ is trying to beat another publisher to the punch. *Sigh* Another rushed product ftl

I had named it [rUMOR] and after i found the official THQ press release i changed it to [Fact]..oh well.

Anyhow. We had connection probs in the old beta too and they where solved as it gets retail. I expect the same for OF.

Quote Originally Posted by bananfiend07
    I take it that means your not gonna be getting it or playing it since you think so little of the work they have put into it and think its so easy to create a game, hell all they had to do was look up ww2 on goolge and the works all done.

32. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #32
    Yeah it's gold, and yeah I don't think the multiplayer is ready yet.

It's sad when publishers do this, push a product out the door before it's done. However, we can all enjoy the single player before hopping into multiplayer. By then I'm confident the relic online guys will come up with something to address the NAT connectivity problems that are plaguing the beta.

While I don't think the game is truly ready for release, I'm sure I will still enjoy the game and won't be upset in the least about getting it early. I'm willing to give Relilc the benefit of the doubt in regards to the remaining issues.

One thing that I find interesting/odd. Everyone keeps saying the 24th, which is a Monday. I can't remember the last time I saw a game come out, that wasn't released on a Tuesday. That is the standard week day for any new media releases (movies, games, music, etc.). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

34. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #34
    Before the end of the month is the key thing, so probably more like september 25th or something. It's still way ahead of November.

I have faith in Relic as well. THQ's the one that says "ship it". This is not Relic's decision.

It's sad when publishers do this, push a product out the door before it's done. However, we can all enjoy the single player before hopping into multiplayer.
    That is true. I want the game out on sept 24/25, even if the multiplayer isnt ready, it's not TOO off-balance, and like uber said, i'll be enjoying the panzer elite campaign haha

they are gonna have to bust their asses to get a good release.

You'll also be enjoy the quirky campaign description bug as well I found messing around waiting for a mate to log on. Who can't notice Liberation of Caen having the "Continue Operation Market Garden Campaign" summary and vica versa... Although that is if it is not fixed already and stuff since it is pretty obvious you would think...

Regards,
    IH

38. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #38
    Imperial:

Oh I suspect those issues are fixed in the single player build. The Beta players are only seeing the stuff from the multiplayer beta build.

Should they miss that I shall want to have the liberty of saying "WTF? LMAO" since it is so obvious when you think about it. Shame that Relic is not both a games developer and publisher as then they could have more liberty over when to release the game as they would have a gauge of when the product is to their satisfaction and stuff. Shame THQ seems to surely have no brains in the department of when to release CoH: OF in contrast to the other big releases which shall limit sales in the short term of Halo 3, World in Conflict and so on, people only have so much money to spend they should know we all have to feed ourselves and stuff as well duh. Not that I want to flame THQ but the reasoning behind the idea just seems counter-productive in both game quality for the short term and competition posed by other titles (which you could claim probably might have more priorities then CoH: OF for a gamer to buy) just seems weird.

Regards,
    IH

speaking of mixed up pictures, the PE doctrine pictures are mixed up: the luftwaffe doctrine has the scorched earth pic and vice versa.

The balance is still way off.
    Wehrmacht has no chance against a decent Brits player and the Americans struggle against the PE.
    I hope this is some kind of misunderstanding.

DelBosco
    If there isn't some act of God between now and the release date Relic is going to feel quite the backlash for releasing the game in this state I suspect.

I'm guessing they have the order from on-high to ship, and that balance will be tuned (read: massively altered) using post-release patches. Remember that most game buyers just want single player and skirmish, so the online community doesn't have a ton of sway.

Still.... 2 week open balance beta? Not even that? Bizarre. I bet some Relic people are mad as hell.... and they'll never be able to say it publicly.
    "Also, I can kill you with my brain."

aka CluelessSmurf

It seems that the September date is true, it was confirmed on gram.pl a site ran by the polish publisher CD Projekt which distributes THQ games here. They said it's the 28th for both OF and some Conan game (also a THQ title), I don't know if that's the local release date or NA or global but I doubt they would be uninformed.

Persnickety South African Mirage Knight's Avatar
    About a month of closed Beta as well.

If they can fix connection issues and such so that online play works fine after a patch then its fine as online players can obviously download patches. The one thing that would ruin the game would be if the single player was broken as not everyone wants to patch a game to get it to start.

Blake_Stone
    the worst thing atm is balance old vs. new.

looking forward to playing the sp campaigns though

48. Child's Play Donor  #48
    @Blackstone

Remembers me a bit of DC... where Necs and Tau were unbeatable and only Tau imba could win against Necron imba and other way arround... and old races were just screwed...

well done relic

Yeah connection problems IS almost solved!

In its current state, OF is not nearly ready to be released. Hopefully the major issues will have been ironed out by the time it hits the shelves, but I won't hold my breath.
    In-Game: Dux
    Steam Account: DucusSumus

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information