Sensors Manager - Show actual model of ships other than Cruiser and Mothership?

вяιηgιηg вα¢к тнє нσттιєѕ! scottismo's Avatar

Sensors Manager - Show actual model of ships other than Cruiser and Mothership?

Hey guys,

I'm just messing around with some basic scripting and was wondering if anyone has ever been able to get a ship such as a probe to show on the sensors manager as an actual model rather than a green dot. If so, I'd like to know how. I've looked a bit around the camera.script and sensors.script but I'm not too sure its there. I haven't seen any mods that do this personally, but I thought I would ask anyway.

-Scottismo
    May the power protect you, always.

Whether an object is rendered as a mesh model is determined by a hard coded list in the source code:

Quote Originally Posted by src/Game/Sensors.c
    Code:
    ubyte smShipTypeRenderFlags[TOTAL_NUM_SHIPS] =
    {
        SM_TO,                                      //AdvanceSupportFrigate
        0,                                          //AttackBomber
        SM_TO | SM_Mesh,                            //Carrier

ubyte smDerelictTypeMesh[NUM_DERELICTTYPES] =
    {
        0,                                          //AngelMoon,
        0,                                          //AngelMoon_clean,
        0,                                          //Crate,
        SM_Mesh,                                    //FragmentPanel0a,
    Anything with the SM_Mesh flag set will render as a model rather than a dot. Those objects are:

Carrier
    HeavyCruiser
    Mothership
    HeadShotAsteroid
    CryoTray
    P1Mothership
    P2Mothership
    P3Megaship
    FloatingCity
    MiningBase
    ResearchStation
    FragmentPanel0a
    FragmentPanel0b
    FragmentPanel0c
    FragmentPanel1
    FragmentPanel2
    FragmentPanel3
    FragmentStrut
    Scaffold
    Scaffold_scarred
    ScaffoldFingerA_scarred
    ScaffoldFingerB_scarred
    JunkCarrier
    JunkHeavyCruiser

To change this requires a recompile of the source code to change the flags for the objects you are interested in or, better yet, modify the code to make it easier to specify the behaviour via an entry in a .shp file. The latter probably isn't very hard - I'll add it to the Homeworld SDL bug/feature list.

вяιηgιηg вα¢к тнє нσттιєѕ! scottismo's Avatar
    Ah, as I suspected, it is hard coded. Thanks for very detailed reply Imop! Are you one of the people that is part of that project? News of developments relating to the source code seems to be very quiet on these forums. It would be nice to know, for example how many people are working on it (if any) and what sort of goals you have. I've checked out the site, and intend to link to it once my site is fully up again.

Sorry to hijack this (sorta), but we need to get .shp files that will let us do nearly anything we need to involving the object...like everything we have had to work around for the past several years. (Just a thought)

Sorry scottismo!
    My blog
    "Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." ~Alfred Pennyworth

Quote Originally Posted by scottismo
    Are you one of the people that is part of that project? News of developments relating to the source code seems to be very quiet on these forums. It would be nice to know, for example how many people are working on it (if any) and what sort of goals you have.
    There's ~65 people with access to the Homeworld SDL repository; ~10 of whom have contributed fixes and improvements. That doesn't sound like a lot but don't let that fool you - a few dedicated people can make a big difference. It's been quiet of late though because of the summer but I expect things will pick up now that the nights are getting longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Entropy
    ... we need to get .shp files that will let us do nearly anything we need to involving the object...like everything we have had to work around for the past several years.
    Agreed. However, one of the problems is that we don't necessarily know what modders actually want improved or fixed. We tend to focus on our own personal interests in the absence of any external requests. So, if you want something fixed, then tell us! There are no guarantees that it can be fixed, or when, but knowing it needs doing is a start! Note that we preferentially frequent the Homesource forums because the forum structure is more fine grained than the single forum Relic Forums provides. We look forward to your requests/suggestions!

A secret location, somewhere near southhampton, inside a small town called Basingstoke... Wait...
    Heh, that's a good point. I always thought you guys knew what people wanted done, but i guess i was wrong.

And whilst seeing all the ships in the sensors manager would be pretty cool, the one problem i can think of would be the Lag that this could cause. Of course i believe you intend to use lower poly-models, yes? That could still cause a few issues, especially with my patented "Throw a crapload of fighters at the enemy" tactic.

Still, the awesomeness of having a Sensors manager like that far outweighs my rather minor complaint, ad i can always learn to whore Heavy Cruisers instead!
    SquidDNA:"This isn't weird. It would be weird if the humans were also furries, and were fighting the Vagyr because they were all in love with the Hiigarans. AND the humans were descended from the Hiigarans, but from the future, and they were all created by the Bentusi for no reason."

I've had a look at implementing this and come up with some additional things to consider. I've posted a follow-up thread on the Homesource Forums: When to draw object meshes in the Sensors Manager?

Thread Information