After seeing so many posts and threads flaming Vaygr as an underpowered race, I felt that it was neccesary to create a thread where the uneducated and misinformed might learn a bit about this misunderstood race.
Primarily I would like any Vaygr players to post their strategies and observations on playing Vaygr and tips on defeating some of the more difficult/dangerous threats to Vaygr (i.e. battlecruisers, gunships, flak, ect.)
Unfortunately its late, so i'll just jot down observations for now and write about tactics later.
1) Vaygr teching is much different from Hiig teching, but suits the Vaygr philosphy/play style better. This may confuse Hiig players into thiking that the Vaygr system is worse.
2) Vaygr carriers are cheaper by around 40-50% than their Hiig conterparts. This means that you can have greater production/resourcing earlier in the game and thus better use your early game strengths. The lack of multiple production slots is the price you pay
3) Vaygr strike craft are exceptional when properly mixed. They tend to suck bad when not. (i.e. lances can get hurt bad when soloing gunships. In a big, messy dogfight, they cut gunships down like corn). You also have more slots for said strike craft.
4) Since they do not need to get the advanced research module, vaygr can get destroyers faster. Their destroyers also have a more powerful "first strike" thanks to thier massive missile volley.
5) More strike craft per group means more squads make it home to get repairs. As you also have more carriers, you can repair far faster than a hiig frigate fleet. Also, i have noticed that vette squads tend to split into pairs. This makes it less likely that torp frigs/pulsars will kill of an entire squadron (unless told to kill a specific squade, but that brings up other problems)
6) Vaygr BC has better "first strike" capability than the Hiig BC, making it more effective as a hyper-raider
7) Innacuracy of various strike craft is either moot, non-existant, or eaily fixable. ACs miss a whole lot, true. But they also come 2 more to a group and tend to spray the entire enemy squadron. Lance fighters are dead accurate msot of the time, as the shoot only at pointblank range. Laser vettes and bombers hit subsystems and anything bigger than a frig just fine. I don;t know about MCs, as i tend to focus on laser vettes in my swarm.
8) CCs make a huge difference and i haven't had trouble keeping them alive when i set them to gaurd my ACs (the big sweeping passes of ACs means that the CC moves a whole lot) i also believe that ship AI does not recognize CCs as immidiate targets and focuses on ships with guns.
9) Hyper gates are incredibly useful. With disruption probes, they make for excellent sneak attacks/ raiding bases. Send some of your prolific carriers to these bases, and you are even mroe dangerous (note: carriers can't use the gate).
Thats all for now, my personal strategies/tactics will follow tommorow afternoon