Here is a playable beta version "assault map" for 2 players against one AI. I am posting it as it is to get some feedback especially for balance and online multiplayer testing (don't know if it works).
The plot is to invade the AI's land starting from a small area while facing growing opposition.
The map behaves mostly as a campaign map (expansion triggers a response), the difference is that you can play in cooperation. I wanted to make a map that would require intensive cooperation / synchronisation between the two human players in order to beat the AI.
The map works on skirmish, LAN and Online. I have tried a previous version on LAN with a friend and it worked as expected. It took about 1-2 hour and 5000+ dead (nearly 1000 on our side), so you may expect quite a lot of fighting...
The above picture shows the zones of the map (green). Basic working principle is the following:
- AI rebuilds/repairs/Reinforce units and buildings belonging to a zone as long as it owns at least one of its strategic points or relics.
- AI sends units to attack and recover points that it does not own as long as the related recover point is not taken (red marks indiicate the related zone).
- Bunkers are filled with squads when they are finished.
- The AI will not attack the players base, it will only repair/rebuild/conquer the map to restore the initial state (same player, try again).
- All difficulty level are working. For multiplayer, player1 has to kill (select + Del key) the probe to increase game difficulty (works up to Insane).
- lower diffiulty levels are achievable alone in skirmish (2nd player not active, AI in third position) but it is tough job (at least to me).
- The map works with Darkcrusade. Using your favorite mod should not be a problem (as long as Imperial Guard is not too affected). There's a chance that it works with WinterAssault (not tested).
General strategy is to take zones and hold them against a growing number of opponents (there are no resources limits on the AI side). The number of opponents depends mostly on the recover points that are still under control of the AI so expanding too fast may lead to an overwhelming counter-attack.
There remains a lot of empty land. However, it already takes enough time to win, so I left it unused.
The scar code that guides the defending units is generic. The intent is to make it easy to use to make other maps. No scar programming knowledge is necessary to use it (most of the work is done in Mission Editor). I posted a tuto here.
Just tell me if you want to use / modify it on your own. If needed, I will try to help as time allows.
Please don't hesitate to provide me with comments or suggestion, especially for balance.
Lastly, special thanks to Argonaut for the survival maps from where I learned a lot about scar.
1 - download from here :
2 - unzip the 3 files in the directory : Dawn of War - Dark Crusade\DXP2\Data\scenarios\mp
3 - map name is "3p1 debarq (1 or 2P vs 1AI)" (skirmish or multiplayer)
10/01/08: Upgraded to v4. A few visible changes and level recognition now works (but only in skirmish). Only fixed level for multiplayer.
19/01/08: Upgraded to v5.
- Reliability is improved
- Added multiplayer difficulty setting: a probe is created for the first 30s that player1 can kill (select and hit del) to increase the level up to insane.
- Added entrenching squads control for defender
- Balance: Easy level should now be easy even in single player skirmish. Standard is definitely playable alone.
- For those who found it too easy, Advanced and Insane levels are now effective.
- Defending units now change depending on difficulty. (a dozen basilisks and a few such things are added for levels higher than hard).
- more room on the starting ship (especially for player 2). Witch Hunters can now start from position 2.
20/01/08: CTD bug found and corrected. YEEESSS. Download updated.
20/01/08: I went too fast (two stupid bugs). I have removed version in map name. This is now called 3p1 debarq (1 or 2P vs 1AI).
25/01/08: v7: link update, scar unchanged, added minimap with zones frontiers.
02/02/08: v8 : link update, squad attached units added, icon added, improved graphics. Improved scar usability. Start ship size increased.
18/02/08: 1.0 release on filefront : added an installer and a loading picture.