Modem users may experience connectivity problems when playing Homeworld 2 on Gamespy while running a personal firewall (such as ZoneAlarm or Norton Personal Firewall). Disabling the firewall during play may solve those problems.
If you want to play a multiplayer game of Homeworld 2 and you are behind a router, you may need to do one of the following:
- Disable your router so that your machine is connected directly to the internet.
- Unblock port 6073 and ports 2302 to 2400 (these are the default DirectPlay ports used by Homeworld 2).
- Force Homeworld2 to use a given port number by using "-port ####" at the command line, where #### is between 1 and 65535.
If you still encounter difficulty in connecting to GameSpy, please allow traffic for at least the following TCP ports.
- 6667 (IRC)
- 80 (HTTP)
- 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
- 28900 (Master Server List Request)
- 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
- 29901 (GP Search Manager)
- 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
- 6500 (incoming, UDP, default roomquery port; can be customized with roomqueryport=<port #> in svc.cfg)