Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Soulstorm Race Unlocker

Soulstorm Race Unlocker

I do NOT support this tool anymore. I will NOT read any more PMs or requests on ICQ, so use this forum!

EDIT: v1.1 released (should now work smoothly with Vista 64bit)

I wrote a little application, which pretty much works the same way as the DCUnlocker made by Bilge.
    You only need Soulstorm installed and it should work fine (at least, if you haven't messed up the registry).

I tested it with:
    Windows XP SP2 Prof 32bit
    Vista Business 32bit (with and without SP1)
    Vista Business 64bit (Unlocker v1.1)

Pls give me feedback (beer would be fine too *g*)

You can get the app here:
    Soulstorm Race Unlocker v1.1

This tool has been open source since release, i just forgot to mention it, in this thread
    Sources can be found here
    (just scroll down and look for "Soulstorm Race Unlocker v1.1 Sources.rar")

If there are any troubles some hints:
    1) if you have used the DC Unlocker before, go to your Soulstorm directory and delete the following files IF they have no icons and less than 1MB: W40k.exe W40kWA.exe and DarkCrusade.exe (in fact you can delete them anyway, but it doesn't matter, if they are really the original exe from previous DoW versions)
    2) if you have messed with your registry before (without properly knowing, what you are doing), fix it or simply reinstall Soulstorm and run the Unlocker again
    3) As for any errors like
    "Aplication wasn't initiated properly (0xc0000135). Press OK to terminate."
    You may try out updating your .NET-Framework, as GiT proposed later in this thread.
    4) If you are running any version of Vista, you have to run the app with admin-rights (right-click on app -> run as admin)
    5) If Soulstorm says, your keys are invalid, you either have made a typo and/or forgot the dashes. The keys have to be entered like: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
    6) If you get the error "/GraphicsConfig.exe could not be found..." and reinstalling Soulstorm does not help, then try the old version of the unlocker. I have no idea, why some people have a directory named "Wow6232Node" in their registry, which should only be existant in the 64bit version of Windows, and 'cause of the serious lack of received beer, i'm too lazy to update it.

If above 6 tips don't help you, post here.

Update for Vista and Steam-Users
    If you run Vista, Soulstorm probably won't start with admin permissions, resulting in an invalid CD-Key Dialog (although the keys are there and correct of course).
    Solution: Start Steam (or Soulstorm, if you own the retail version) with right-click-> run as admin.
    Easiest way for steam-users is deactivating the auto-start of steam and create a shortcut on your desktop.

Regards
    Belial2003
    Last edited by Belial2003; 28th Mar 09 at 4:48 AM.

Glad to see a Soulstorm version of this is out.

kommissarprower
    sweet, the DC race unlocker was screwing with unlocking period. I hope this would fix it.

Manhammer
    I did it manually myself, but it's still lovely to see this. Thank you for it

Soothing Vapors
    Any way to use this if you bought the games through Steam?

Q: I also have DC installed. Will this break the unlocker?

I actually managed to unlock all the races for SS manually with a little tinkering last night, go me? I really wish they would've just had the current game ask for your key, or even for the CD to be inserted; having to have the whole thing installed to complete the process painlessly is bug.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." --Frederick The Great

I no longer have my DoW or WA CDs, so I hope it never asks me for them! I just have my CD-keys and the two exe files- that was all DC needed to run with.

Won't this most likely be used for illegal activities?

doesn't seem to work for me, when i boot the game and get the cd key prompt its says "apears to be invalid CD key", I reinstalled and attempted again yet, no luck. what else could be the problem?
    GFWL/Xbox Live gamertag: IS LYFE

its not because you SS has all the data from all the games on it. The race unlocker just tampers directly with the registry placing your CD-keys for the previous games in there so you do not need any of the other games installed.

When you buy the game you are technically buying a license and your "License number" is your cd key. if you dont have a cd key the unlocker cant add anything and therefore wont work ^^ saves you from doing this whole shabang manually

@Soothing Vapors
    I don't think it makes a difference, if it does not work, contact me.

@Freelance
    Good Question, I just read through my code again, here is what to do:
    For the Unlocker just leave the textbox for the DC Key EMPTY. The programm will then skip this step and you should be fine. (Soulstorm will ask you to enter the DC Key, should work fine after that).
    If you don't leave it empty, it will overwrite the InstallLocation registry entry for DC, so the game DC won't work and you would have to fix it manually (not a big deal though).

@ISLYFE
    Firstly I assume your cd keys are correct. Secondly, in the unlocker you have to enter them WITH the "-" between each part, so it should be like "abcd-efgh-ijkl-mnop-qrst"
    Tell me pls, if it still does not work after that (if it does, it would be nice too).

Woohamer40
    great thing this i it
    Last edited by Woohamer40; 13th Mar 08 at 10:53 AM.

belial that worked, you rock !!!

Soothing Vapors
    I guess I just don't know how to get my CD key out of my Steam install. Thanks though.

sancho
    excellent work mate

the dark crusade one was nice. and tbh, this hasnt taken long to get out. nice work

D153453D
    Thanks, can't wait to try it out!

I guess I just don't know how to get my CD key out of my Steam install. Thanks though.
    To be honest, no idea either, at least not without "seeing" your pc via remote software like vnc.
    But if you still have all versions installed, i suggest you take a look into the registry (Windowskey+R => regedit => hit enter => In the directory key on the left side, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => SOFTWARE => THQ).
    You will see 3 directories then, with the names of "Dawn of War", "Dawn of War - Dark Crusade" and "Dawn of War - Soulstorm".
    (again, assuming you have all versions installed (and can play all races in Soulstorm), and registry is the same in the steam version)
    In the "Dawn of War - Soulstorm" Directory you will then see in the right part of the window 6 "Files", which are the registry entries.
    CDKey = the cd-key of Soulstorm
    DXP2Key = the cd-key of Dark Crusade
    W40kCDKey = the cd-key of Dawn of War Vanilla
    WXPCDKey = the cd-key of Winter Assault

Hope this helps, if not post again or contact me via icq/PM, i'm very curious, if the steam install is any different from the normal version.

Escushion
    Dammit, I have XP.

EDIT: Nevermind, works for XP too. Thank you mightily!
    Last edited by Escushion; 13th Mar 08 at 5:45 PM.

This worked excellently, for DC and SS. Both now run with full races, didn't even prompt me for the codes on first time opening SS. Just fixed everything. No fuss, no muss. Thank you!

Kamui
    hmm..I have a prob. with it, the DC races work, but the others dont (IG,SM etc.) and when I go into the game, it says that DoW classic is not correctly installed to my computer. Wha hell I have to do?

hmm..I have a prob. with it, the DC races work, but the others dont (IG,SM etc.) and when I go into the game, it says that DoW classic is not correctly installed to my computer. Wha hell I have to do?
    First: have u used the unlocker for DC before/after using mine, or is Classic/WA/DC still installed? Tried something with the registry yourself?

Did you enter the keys for Classic and WA correctly (no typos and is this form: abcd-efgh-ijkl-mnop-qrstu)?

Already tried reinstalling Soulstorm and running the unlocker again?

Kamui
    Umm, yeah I used DC unlocker before yours, and DC is installed but the others aren't. Well yeah I double checked the keys.
    Mm..nope haven't reinstalled. Gotta try.

Soothing Vapours: go to start/run/regededit. Then locate hk_local machine folder/software/thq, and you should find your cd key in there (works for a normal install, not sure about Steam tbh).

Also, if you have dc installed and all races unlocked for online play, soulstorm detects the DoW and WA exe's and DC install and should prompt you for your cd keys the first time you run the game.

ps. i am at work at the moment, so post if the above doesn't work and I will check it again when I get home.
    Strangers, you bring pain. You bring suffering. You bring so many dreams of dust and death.
    But, strangers, I am Icarium.
    And I bring far worse.

Kamui
    Well, I have dc installed and all the races are unlocked (I used the unlocker) When I go into the game, it wants the DoW and WA key, but when I use the ss unlocker, then it says that DoW n WA aren't correctly installed and when I look into dc, then it wants me to type in the DoW and WA keys
    Last edited by Kamui; 14th Mar 08 at 6:58 AM.

crooon
    I bought the steam platinum edition, and you never get the serials in hand from steam so you know what to put into Soulstorm, but they're all in the same place in the registry as the non-steam-versions.

Edit: Although you never have to put in the serials in DC in the Platinum Editiion, so I'm guessing if you buy everything through steam, you would never need to know the actual serials, only in mixed installs. But again, as far as I can tell, everything other than steam doing some work for you, seems to be in the same place.
    Last edited by crooon; 14th Mar 08 at 7:45 AM.

Heat4213
    I put my CD keys with the dashes into the unlocker and when I unlock it the program seems to run fine. When I load up soulstorm however it asks me for my keys again but when I insert them it tells me they are invalid! I know for a fact they are valid because im staring at them. In any case I have never previously messed with the registry or used that DC key unlocker.

In my professional opinion, this application lacks originality with many "borrowed" facets from my own application, but with extra suck added in for good measure. Nice try, though; you've clearly appeased the masses.

Important things first:
    @Heat4213, you got PM

Now for the less important stuff:
    @Bilge
    In the professional opinion of a student (aka me), the gui of this application was indeed made after looking at your DCUnlocker, as it hasn't got a bad usability imho.
    As for the rest of of the "borrowed" facets, I'm really and sincerely unaware of what you mean (the sources of this program are public, just check on dow.4players.de, if you really wanna tell me, what i "borrowed". btw software patents anyone?)
    I hope, I do not have to be punished as I used C# (as well as you, i would guess, havn't checked. And you don't seem to be a friend of publishing sources, whyever that may be) and used some of it's predifined functions you might have used as well.

And regarding originality, I wasn't able to see naked girls humping around the screen and writing in the registry in your Unlocker as well. Didn't it work properly, when I used it back then?
    Jokes aside, I am aware, that I could have made it more foolproof, but I was indeed unwilling to do so, and regarding downloadcounts and posts with troubles, the app ran fine for far more than 600 people atm.
    As for appeasing the masses, you may be right, but what's wrong about that?
    The application does, what it was intented to to, nothing more, nothing less, and I don't see much sense in doing something fancy.
    Final question: you sound pissed like hell, have i been faster than you?

Has anyone tried this for Vista? If so, did it work?

@Pappy13
    I just tried it under Vista Business 32bit. Worked fine and without complaints right after the installation of Soulstorm.

Would you say that you were faster than me if you won a race that I hadn't even entered into? And no, it's not written in C#. I recall explicitly stating what is was written in, in its various iterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge
    you've clearly appeased the masses.
    I know why he says that. Bilge now thinks it's a bad thing to help the community (for free), this must be why he denies people the possibility to download and even share his replay manager. This would also explain why he didn't even think of updating his race unlocker for SS, and instead criticizes Belial's work.
    Last edited by Klementh; 14th Mar 08 at 5:32 PM.

Lexandro
    Someone beat Bilge to it and not only did they do that they had the audacity to actually not blow his own trumpet and give the thing away quiet freely with no frankly idiotic distribution requirements for something that is freeware.

Sourgrapes big time.

@OP Did the trick for me NP in XP 32. Thanks.

Would you say that you were faster than me if you won a race that I hadn't even entered into? And no, it's not written in C#. I recall explicitly stating what is was written in, in its various iterations.
    You clearly sounded pissed, so i made an assumption, nothing more nothing less.
    I do not care, which language you used, and as i said, i also didn't check.
    Nevertheless, I'm stll missing the part, where you tell me, what facets I "borrowed" from you. The button maybe? The necessity for clicking on it, with the left mouse button?

I truly respect your work regarding the DCUnlocker and your replay manager, but making these things open source or at least freely distributable wouldn't be something that kills you.
    And you maybe should work on your arrogance a bit, it is out of place imho.

I be Alpha_1_SLS most places. Alpha_1's Avatar
    Were it not for his comments in this thread I'd understand and even sympathise with Bilge's plight, seems to me his "tude" is what lead to is so obviously the universe is balancing out and sending some yang after that ying.

I think the program is just fine, it does what it says it will without a lot of extraneous crap and the developer is taking the freeware idea to heart, unlike some people.
    There is power in words.

Chronologically challenged Timeless's Avatar
    Belial, thanks for the program, man. You rock.

PS...I'm able to play all 9 races, even though I've never owned the expansion that came right before this one, the one with the Tau? Cool!
    Last edited by Timeless; 14th Mar 08 at 5:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klementh
    I know why he says that. Bilge now thinks it's a bad thing to help the community (for free)
    I don't think it's a bad idea to provide things for free, unless you're providing things for free to ungrateful brats.

Quote Originally Posted by Klementh
    This would also explain why he didn't even think of updating his race unlocker for SS
    Your second of only two assumptions is also incorrect. The reason I didn't update it is three-fold: first, see above. Second, I don't plan on buying Soulstorm. And there is a third, but you've got enough to be getting on with, with just those two.

I don't think it's a bad idea to provide things for free, unless you're providing things for free to ungrateful brats.
    These people don't sound very ungrateful:

Quote Originally Posted by people in Bilge's replay manager thread
    Thanks Bilge, a very welcome program.
    cool program
    Nice one Bilge, thanks!
    Bilge
    very nice work here. thank you.
    Nice tool.
    A great tool, thank you bilge!.
    Great work.
    Just want to say congrats for that great tool .
    Thank you Bilge!
    Great tool, Bilge!
    This is an excellent tool.
    You don't provide anything for free to anyone because some of them are ungrateful brats. Is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge
    Your second of only two assumptions is also incorrect. The reason I didn't update it is three-fold: first, see above. Second, I don't plan on buying Soulstorm. And there is a third, but you've got enough to be getting on with, with just those two.
    First, see above. Second, I know you could make it without having the game, so I assume you don't make it because it's not useful to you. And third... oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    PS...I'm able to play all 9 races, even though I've never owned the expansion that came right before this one, the one with the Tau? Cool!
    Pls don't give people the wrong idea, according to your PM, you were talking about SINGLEPlayer. Race restrictions are only set for the Multiplayer.

Chronologically challenged Timeless's Avatar
    Ah okay, my bad....I was playing skirmish and had access to all 9 factions. ;p

Still, thx for the work on this program.

try this improved and skinned race unlocker by me) and thx 2 Belial2003 for idea of GraphicsConfig.exe. .NET 2.0 is required

download
    Last edited by GiT; 15th Mar 08 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiT
    try this improved and skinned race unlocker by me) and thx 2 Belial2003 for idea of GraphicsConfig.exe. .NET 2.0 is required

download
    I'm not a big fan of fancy stuff, but your app sure looks nice. Mind publishing the Source-Code as well, I'd like to take a look at it.

D153453D
    Unhandled exception has occurred in your applicaion.

Access to the registry key
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\THQ\Dawn of War'

Any suggestions?

I uninstalled everything, and the just installed SS. I tried to run this, but this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by D153453D
    Unhandled exception has occurred in your applicaion.

Access to the registry key
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\THQ\Dawn of War'

Any suggestions?

I uninstalled everything, and the just installed SS. I tried to run this, but this happens.
    *Looking into my crystal ball*
    First guess: you are using vista and don't have admin-rights, but my ball just had been repaired, dunno if Snowwhite and her 7 dwarfs have polished it the right way
    Maybe something with your deinstallation went wrong, but before i assume too much, post some more infos about the OS, you are using, and so on.

Fooath
    Thanks.
    Had a bit of trouble at first, then read the thread with "leave the -'s in" and it worked first try!

Stasioman
    "Aplication wasn't initiated properly (0xc0000135). Press OK to terminate."
    That's translated message which I get when I try to run both unlockers. What's wrong? :/

Lexandro
    Try right clicking on the unlock tool and choose "Run as an administrator"

Stasioman
    It's not working :\ When I pick administrator, I still get the same message. I use Windows XP.

Lexandro
    Try downloading it again, it might be a corrupted download. Other than that it might be your windows. It worked for me perfectly in Xp 32, and my windows is in good condition.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information