This thread is getting a bit of a facelift to better help those new to modding HW2. Enjoy. Scroll down to the bottom for an excellent link of lists, copied here for your convenience from the Guidelines to Tanis Shipyards thread.
First of all here are some really good links you should check out before you start your modding career here with us at Tanis
Making Keepers Playable-This is an excellent modding tutorial by Moe for newbies on how to turn the keepers into a race that can be played.
Ship Editing Guide- Excellent tutorial made by Moe.
List of modding tools-This is an essential resource and contains many tools desinged to make the life of the Homeworld 2 modder much easier.
Modding FAQ-answers many basic important questions related to modding HW2.
Guide to Tanis Ettiquite-Read and follow it and your stay with us should be a pleasant and productive one.
Secondly, rather than having each new guy post questions in his own thread the staff here would recommend that you contact one of these people via PM for help. Saves on clutter in the main forum so it can be reserved for discussion of new topics and you will probably receive better quality help too!
Modeling: evillejedi, Mr. Pete, Unicron, Vengeance, Apoc7K, jodonnell, Bigfish, Zatch
Scripting (LUA - General) : evillejedi, Mikail
Scripting (Ships/Weapons) : evillejedi, Tel'Quessir, Zatch
Texturing: evillejedi, El Mambo, Drthvdr12
General Modding: evillejedi, Zatch, Duelron1001
Concept Art: Ceade, Kleiner Traum
Concept Management: Alex Drake, Tefeari
Programming: Delphy, skunk, Spooky, Zatch
(If anyone wants their name either on or off this list just shoot me a PM)
Important attitudes for a modder:
- Will to tinker : Go in and just start tweaking values like theres no tomorrow, its an easy way of figuring out what functions and values do.
- Observation : Ok, you changed crap, what did it do? Watch your test-runs of the game keenly and observe the results with an eye for subtlety, often times a change you make won't be apparent without scrutiny.
- Experimentation : Different then tinkering, run alot of test trials on your changes, test them in situations, try to document things that happen. Basically a combo of tinkering and observing, but repeated often.
- Study : Read the forums, then download people's mods and compare their files against the originals and see what they changed. An addendum, read through all the docked threads, they were put there for a reason.
- Articulation : Get used to articulating yourself and your questions clearly, often the only thing standing between you and the information you want is a poorly worded sentence/paragraph/question.
- Be Reasonable + Search : We're fast reaching the point where alot of people's questions have been asked before, so search for keywords related to your question.
- PM is your best friend : Found someone who really knows what they're doing (like Thought or Delphy) and you have a simple question? Often an eloquent PM will get you the answers faster and clearer then throwing an oft repeated topic on the forums (also avoids flaming).
- Etiquette : This one should be obvious, if you don't get an answer or one that is not satisfactory, refrain from making yourself look bad by whining or acting petulant, no one likes a tantrum and children tend to get ignored. We like to assume everyone here is an adult, act like one and you'll be treated as such. Likewise, when responding to someone's post (atleast around here), conduct yourself in a mature and thoughtful manner, and for goodness sake don't forget to articulate!
Follow those guidelines and existing in the modding community and getting the answers you need will be easy as cake.
LINK LIST: (Copied from Tanis Guidelines)
- Helpful modding threads - General -
- "List" threads -
List of tools
- Successful / Exemplary Mods -
Star Wars: Warlords Mod (In Progress)
Angels Fall First TC also here (In Progress)
HW2 EX Mod
Pirate Race Mod
- Helpful modding threads - Making new ships -
- Modelling and importing into HW2 -
General ReadMeFirst HOD in/out thread
Maya modelling walkthrough by Alex Drake
Problems with Maya texturing
Maya 3 step-by-step tutorial by starfleet (Read this!)
Maya 5 step-by-step tutorial by evillejedi (Read this!)
OBJ -> HOD Importer (old and un-supported)
UVW Mapping Tutorial for 3dsMax, Maya, and Lightwave (image heavy)
- Scripting -
Relic Archive Tool by Spooky
LuaDecompiler by Age2un (aka LuaDC)
Batch LuaDC by Zatch (modified LuaDC for batch conversions)
HW2 ShipScript by Zatch (scripting tool)
- Helpful modding threads - Music import/export -
Sound Import tutorial by Slamoid
HW2 Music Converter by Zatch (batch-convert mp3/wav files for use ingame)
- Helpful modding threads - Mapping -
MissionboySE by Delphy (best map-making program available for HW2)