It's that time again; it occurs once ever 3yrs for me but it's here.
Time to get a new mobile.
I've been following the market for some time now, and noticed how easily it is to get totally lost in it with so many decent looking phones around.
My top contenders (for my price band)
- iPhone 8GB
- Nokia N95 8GB
- Blackberry Pearl 8120
Having never owned any of these my comments are primarily based on my research and hearsay from owners.
- Top MP3 playback quality
- Very nice looking menu system and handset
- innovative technologies
- Permenantly tied into GoogleMail
- Access to Wireless Hotspots for free
- New software coming soon
- Can hook it up to computers, car stereos etc
- Handset fee + 18month contract is a killer (£899 total)
- Software apparently crashes alot
- Touch-screen-only controls can be fiddly to work (big fingers, little buttons)
- Camera functions can apparently be very restrictive (no zoom, no flash)
Nokia N95 8GB
- Cheaper than the iPhone (no handset cost and £5 less per month)
- nearly same functionality
- Micro-SD Card upgradability
- Nice looking handset (etc)
- A-GPS functionality
- MP3 playback
- Apparently very easy to damage and break
- Battery life leaves alot to be desired.
Blackberry Pearl 8120
- It's a Blackberry
- Automatic Email checking
- Most functional Web Browser out of the lot
- SD Card upgradability
- GPS functionality
- MP3 playback
- £5 cheaper than iPhone per month; no handset cost
- Still resembles a brick
- Battery life deteriorates fast during mediocre-intense use
It's your turn for reviews and recommendations - please avoid horrendous phones, to keep the list to the best.