Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

DOW 2 Confirmed Mk2 (READ FIRST POST!)

DOW 2 Confirmed Mk2 (READ FIRST POST!)

Do not post scanned images from the magazine or discuss where to find them or you will subject to suspension or ban.

As the old thread was getting quite massive and we have great new information out, its time for a new thread!

Link to old thread

So to start us off we have a great summary of the PCGameplay.com preview of DOW2 from Togra. Before I post the info, let me remind everyone that you are not to ask for scans of the mag or any of the images. Nor is anyone to post the images. You are free to discuss what was in there, but not to post or link any of the scans/images.

Quote Originally Posted by Togra
    The intel (gathered from the preview and an interview with Producer Mark Noseworthy in the same Belgian magazine, PC Gameplay):

- Uses the Essence 2.0 engine with Havok physics, all optimised for DX10 and multicore support.
    - It looks great, think of the DoW intro but with a bit less polygons here and there (in terms of lighting and all that it looks almost exactly the same).
    - Units also use CoH-like unit AI for awareness and pathfinding to find cover and such.
    - While DoW 2 shares the same (upgraded probably) engine as CoH it won't be "CoH in space", while soldiers in CoH will ask themselves if flanking the enemy is the right option, in DoW2 it will be more like Space Marines asking themselves if they should use their jetpacks to jump over an Ork squad to attack them in the back. Different settings, different kinds of warfare.
    - Preview only showed a destroyed city landscape, akin to DoW (but more detailed), other tilesets will offer deserts, jungles, mountains and other cities.
    - Only the Orkz and Space Marines were revealed, more races on the way obviously and to be to revealed later this year (though how many isn't known).
    - Co-op campaign for both the Orkz and Space Marines, apparently not for the other to-be-revealed races.
    - More focus on making units and squads unique; every unit has got a name (at least in the campaign it seems), more details and more animations.
    - Relic wants to give players rewards at the end of a mission like wargear (armor, weapons, rare objects); "Let's pimp out squads with cool stuff!", you will see these items in-game as well of course.
    - You'll fight your way through the campaign with the same squads.
    - You can't control more than six squads! I am not sure if this is campaign-only but the preview made it sound like it wasn't.
    - The squads are going to be a lot more interesting than before though.
    - A squad leader (one or several?) will need to survive if you want to complete a mission; you really have to look out for your squads and don't treat them like cannon fodder.
    - There is a lot more interesting commentary from the units as well; if your SM commander is holding a Thunder Hammer f.e. then the opponent will specifically comment on that, Ork Warchief saying something like "Ooh, nice hammer, but mine is bigger!". The warchief will say something else if the commander doesn't have the hammer.
    - The campaign lets Space Marines operate from a spaceship, you'll get a view of an underlying planet and you'll be able to choose from different missions (which are tagged with difficulty colours, green, blue and red).
    - Certain reward items won't be useable at once in the campaign, so they'll be taken back to the SM spaceship for research.
    - Dreadnought can now also trample Orkz.
    - No sea or air units (though jetpacks are still in of course).
    - Development team of 55 people has been working on it since September 2005.
    - Release in early 2009 or later.

This is just a summary, the preview also describes the battles that were shown but that wasn't really revealing. Also remember that this is a translation based on the impressions of a Belgian gamesjournalist and on a translated-to-Dutch interview, some of the info might be incorrect or poorly worded in the preview/interview itself to start with, you never know with these first-revelation articles.

I am not gonna scan the magazine since most folks probably don't understand Dutch and I also didn't think the preview was that informative (didn't focus enough on difference with DoW1, seems to talk only about the campaign). Can't say I am that excited although the screenshots look great, I expected something... bigger (in scope at least) but that's probably because there isn't much information yet anyway.
    Teaser trailer here: http://www.demonews.de/kurznachricht...hortnews=15986

Now enjoy speculating and discussing! Any new info can be posted here.
    Last edited by Grabnutz; 28th Mar 08 at 1:05 PM. Reason: adding teaser trailer
    Those who walk through the shadows, seek not the light.
    If you disagree with a moderational decision, follow this.

Lions & Tigers & Bears am I! FerociousBeast's Avatar
    Hurray! Etc.

I hope that 6 squad cap is only for Space Marines. A mere 6 ork mobs ain't orky.

If DoW2 goes the limited-numbers of soldiers route, I'm going to start having nightmares of Warcraft 3...

Edit: This also from the old thread contained information on the game:

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmer
    hehe I couldn't resist and bought the dutch gamemagazine.

Haven't read the article, but judging from the, thank god, many screenshots, it looks awesome.

Some quick info:

-Buildings can be occupied (like in coh)
    -Envirement completely destructable ^^
    -Vehicles are bigger (there were only a couple of dreadnought shots)
    -LOTS of blood (i saw the screens and thought LOL)
    -Over the top finishing animations
    -when units are in melee, pieces of battle armor can be chopped off in the action

Mods if this isnt allowed plz delete this (but this is only general information, nothing into detail)
    Last edited by FerociousBeast; 27th Mar 08 at 12:23 PM.
    Warning: Chronic Post Editor

3. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #3
    Yes! Orkz! This sounds fantastic

4. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #4
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    @Ferociousbeast: Nor is 6 squads of guardsmen very helpful.. But it could probably just be the marines.. In any case i hope we see an announcement with some screenshots and info soon.. No amount of magazine exclusives are gonna help there as i am living in Denmark, and there seems to be nothing in that regards.

I am glad that DOW2 is finally confirmed but it really worries me that there is a possibility of no base building... I recommend Relic to stick with the gameplay style of DOW instead of trying to be too "adventurous".

yzi2
    So pleased that my favourite race the OrK BoYz won't be kicked out of DoW 2 !!! Thank you, God-Emperor.. ermm I mean, Gork and Mork ! Muhaha daka-dakka

it depends on how big the squads are, 6 ork mobs with 30 or so boyz each is PLENTY orky

i like that it'll be a smaller scale and with the idea of taking care of your troops, DOW has definitely got too much of a meatgrinder feel for my tastes. maybe people will actually be forced to use tactics *gasp* to win instead of finding a good BO and build spamming!

i don't get peoples reliance on base building, all it does is add another aspect that slows down the actual combat. and in my opinion, its a fluffdefying one at that, why in the world would an SM company need to build specific buildings to call in troops that are basically only a drop coordinate away up on their battlebarge. if they found it somehow neccesary then they'd figure out a new way so they COULD hit with full desired strength.

plus even an ork takes time to grow a warrior, your not going to be making new ones on the battlefield, and only a stupid commander fields a force thats less then he feels he needs if the troops are available. hell, even IG conscript troops take a few hours to train so they can last a few extra seconds in battle.

seriously, what army would limit itself on what troops it can deploy by having to build deployment structures on the ground DURING BATTLE. and also, what army would say "hmm wouldnt it be a great idea to drop all the troops in with nothing but the most basic of weaponry and upgrade everything in the field during battle, yeah thats brilliant!".
    Last edited by alisbin; 27th Mar 08 at 12:22 PM. Reason: had more thoughts

Maybe it will be 6 squads for all, but the size of said squads will be scaled accordingly (huge squads for orkz/guards)...
    hopefully they seriously worked on the pathing, so having many units won't be an issue.

Edit: Damn alisbin, you said it just before me.

well considering in TT....

6 tactical squads = 30-60 space marines

6 ork mobs = 30 to 120 orks (or more, dont have codex at hand )

6 IG platoons = can be up to 200 and more individual soldiers (dont have codex at hand for exact numbers)

.... i wouldnt be too worried.

Also, they'd better put the Tyrannids in the original DoW2 or they will face much nerd rage.
    We have been waiting for them for too long...

No make it NEW and differant so we can stop hearing from the friggin spacecraft players about how GW and dow copy them.

If its better its better base or no base. Anyways thats all just heres(a)y right now anyways.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

12. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #12
    Foxtrot Uniform Ifitmovesnukeit's Avatar
    I suspect that guard won't make it in... I imagine Relic were probably sick of normal humans after CoH and OF.

The context-sensitive sounds look very interesting though- I loved them in CoH and it looks like they're getting even more polish in DoW2.

I really hope however that we see faction-specific music in this one. Especially because DC onwards went to great lengths to score each race uniquely. I'm cautiously optimistic, since the British and PE from OF got their own "ambient" and "battle" music...
    The hour is nearly upon us. My brothers, our foes draw near, and we have but one duty to perform. Our honour as Blood Ravens, as the Emperor's own Adeptus Astartes, is at stake, and we fight in His holy name. Let our enemies cower in bitter despair before the shadow of death, borne unto them by our righteous fire and steel. We are blessed with the glorious certainty, that no man ever died for Him that died in vain.

yzi2
    True, true. But if not in the original DOW2 they will come into an expansion. On the other hand, I think that the Orkz will be facing the 'Nids and the Ultramarines in the DOW2 campaign.

Lions & Tigers & Bears am I! FerociousBeast's Avatar
    This also from the old thread contained information on the game:

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmer
    hehe I couldn't resist and bought the dutch gamemagazine.

Haven't read the article, but judging from the, thank god, many screenshots, it looks awesome.

Some quick info:

-Buildings can be occupied (like in coh)
    -Envirement completely destructable ^^
    -Vehicles are bigger (there were only a couple of dreadnought shots)
    -LOTS of blood (i saw the screens and thought LOL)
    -Over the top finishing animations
    -when units are in melee, pieces of battle armor can be chopped off in the action

Mods if this isnt allowed plz delete this (but this is only general information, nothing into detail)

I'm thinking, Orks and Space marines might be the only races in the first release, think company of heroes, that originally came out with 2 races, easier to balance, quicker release etc.

I can't wait for more details, screenies etc. and most importantly details on multi-player.

Hoping for an epic fight between Gabriel and Gorgutz.

Patronicus
    Quote Originally Posted by ricolikesrice
    well considering in TT....

6 tactical squads = 30-60 space marines

6 ork mobs = 30 to 120 orks (or more, dont have codex at hand )

6 IG platoons = can be up to 200 and more individual soldiers (dont have codex at hand for exact numbers)

.... i wouldnt be too worried.

Oh, good point on that.

18. Child's Play Donor  #18
    Co-op campaign and customisable units...

Looks like Relic are doing what they do best - innovation.
    (Retired)
    Tool - Relic Audio Converter (for DoW1)
    Tool - Dawn of War 2 Mod Launcher

only show two races
    i am so dissapointed

but i am happy that they are even making dow2
    i thought they have move on

I guess Relic might be making DoW2 like this is (RTT) because they have reserved the RTS category for CoH franchise and possibly to avoid the clash with Starcraft 2 (and their own CoH games).

And to those already jumping at me for daring to suggest no base-building in DoW2, well, that is my gut feeling. Like it was when I dared to suggest that (GASP!) CoH would feature a HP system.
    - sincerely, the Sign Painter

Quote Originally Posted by krakjen
    Also, they'd better put the Tyrannids in the original DoW2 or they will face much nerd rage.
    We have been waiting for them for too long...
    i agree, they must put in tyrannids
    if they have to, they can take out chaos.

22. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #22
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    @Ferociousbeast: All those sound good, even that bit with armour being chopped off (could mean you could get a battle worn look for your marines)

And again, there has been no mention of base building not being in, so please, stop acting as if it was the truth.

And even more importantly. .We need screenshots ! (This is starting to become a chant.. or perhaps.. A cant !)

orks omg yeah!The essence 2.0 engine must be awesome!Looking forward to it!Imo there must be 2 more races which aren't revealed yet anyway as long as there are orks...
    " Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die so it don't count as defeat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always cum back for anuvver go, see!"

Yes Co-op is possible and you play as the SM AND as the orcs!

I personally think there will be 3 or 4 races. In the interview they said that there will be, offcourse, SM and Orcs, but at some point in the campaign there will be an invasion of alien forces. This can be either Tyranids or Eldar (are there any other alien forces, i am not a dow expert).

I am guessing its SM, Orcs, and Tyranids.

So what was the point of Soulstorm if everyone is gonna hope on the DoW2 (tenative) release bandwagon of 2009.

kinda makes SS redundant rather quickly, non?

I'm the guy who names his teams after classical Greek epic literature

Ho yeah, about the engine.
    Essence 1.0 is the CoH engine right?
    So it's not just a modified version, it's a real update (2.0)...

27. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #27
    I love the dildo cannon Hirmetrium's Avatar
    DA BOYZ IS BACK IN TOWN BOSS!!!! WAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    You should check out DoltsDay 2014, an epic adventure!

I personally think there will be 3 or 4 races. In the interview they said that there will be, offcourse, SM and Orcs, but at some point in the campaign there will be an invasion of alien forces. This can be either Tyranids or Eldar (are there any other alien forces, i am not a dow expert).
    Tyrannids, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necron, Tau, (Squats haha)...
    Accursed xenos !

Edit: Spelling
    Last edited by krakjen; 27th Mar 08 at 12:46 PM.

I am very very happy that da boyz made it!but still I want some info about Tyranids.

FrostPaw
    kinda makes SS redundant rather quickly, non?
    No, early 2009 for DoW2 they are just announcing it now you don't get to play it yet. Soulstorm is available to play now.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

I'd imagine they'd be going alot more with fluff than their own ideas.

i.e. 6 Squads of Marines is more than a match for almost all opponents; they may have 'critical' chance of massive damage or instant kill at range, whereas other more swarm-like races will not.

@ krakjen:

none of those need the "s" but tyranids and squats.

Oh, and don't forget about Zoats ^^

Edit: lol geez, this thread moves so quick
    I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
    ~Clarence Darrow~

I don't know how I've missed this for so long, but I can confirm bricks have been shat.

DA BOYZ IS BACK IN TOWN BOSS!!!! WAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    WE'ZE GONNA STOMP DA BEAKIES GOOD!!! ORKS!! ORKS!!! ORKS!! ORKS!!!

The Eldar have to show up to clean up the Green Filth...

Seeing as how DoW2 won't be released for at least another year I'd hardly say that makes Soulstorm "redundant."

Ithaka. Proud Ithaka. Ocean world. Cradle of Snakes.
    @ Weavern: Are we allowed to post scans of the article once the mga isreleased? For those who have not bought it yet.
    -
    I can't wait for this thing. I'm already starting on saving for the pimped out rig. Gonna buy a case and new drives this weekend. ( Don't think I'm going crazy I've been needing a new PC.)
    Fear not the Snake for his guile, nor his silence,
    Fear him for his speed at striking, the clenching strength of his coils,
    The armour of his scales, and the sharpness of his bite.
    Fear the Snake, oh enemies of Man, for his coils encircle us
    And his bright eyes, unblinking, watch over us forever.

-from The Lays of Proud Ithaka

Mardhyn
    Pretty sure scans are a nono either way. Though the scans will find themselves on the internet soon anyways.

To repeat (from the old thread): No, scans of magazines are not allowed, neither image nor text. We gotta be really strict with copyright issues concerning exclusive material.

I bet we're going to see less restricted info soon in any case.

Are we allowed to post scans of the article once the mga isreleased? For those who have not bought it yet.
    Some of us can't buy it anyway.
    It's not like I'm gonna order it from another country...

Edit: But yeah, no scan here. Copyright issues and such.

TechieZero
    Is it April already? Yes I am skeptical...

42. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #42
    I love the dildo cannon Hirmetrium's Avatar
    To back the semptember 2005 comment:
    I reference this thread. Notice the posting date is october, meaning that that was a pretty swift pickup.

I'm super cerial Energizer Bunny's Avatar
    I don't know how I've missed this for so long, but I can confirm bricks have been shat
    ROFL. Me too. I knew about it anyway from the PCG thing, but still hearing it confirmed sent shivers down my spine.

I'll sum up my thoughts from the other thread as briefly as I can.

1. Fantastic to hear its at such an advanced stage of development. 55 people working on it since 2005 is a hell of a lot better than I'd hoped for (which was 2 work experience guys having done 20 mins in a closet and here's a sketch of a stick man killing a tyranid.

2. Delighted to hear that, from the screenshot description its going to maintain the cartoony feel that the original had. DoW is not CoH and it should not aspire to be, even if it runs on the same engine

3. Most important of all, I am thrilled that Relic is not treating this as a clone of DoW. I don't understand the 6 squads thing any better than anybody else, but I am utterly delighted that it sounds like they really went back to the drawing board with the game. I did not want DoW1 with a new graphics engine to = DoW2

4. Glad orks got in ahead of Eldar. Orks are the heart (in character terms) of DoW to me. Is it a reasonable assumption to therefore say that IG/DE/SoB/Nec's/Tau have bitten the dust? I reckon so, and would probably add Eldar to that list. Surely the starting races are SM/Chaos/Nids/Orks

I hope they drop their horrible sync kills in favour of more practical ones. The Eldar are athletic, fine, but why are the Rangers spastically leaping in the air or what have you.
    boasts a healthy stool

Oh sweet Jesus Christ, Havoc physics engine? If I recall that's the same one for Smash bros. Brawl, and that's not entirely a good thing >__>

In the interview they said that the production started september 2006.

2005 seems false.

This may have already been stated.

But has anyone considered the six squad system may be adjusted to each specific race? Or a system limited to the SM's themselves? This would certainly put down all the complaints about SM's not being portrayed as fluff if they make them powerful but less numerous.

Also, they may have shown the demo from the SM perspective and not the orks. Alot of the details provided above seem to me like they are a part of a system for SM's. Could be wrong though...

I just find it hard to believe you can limit the orks, nids, and IG to six squads. Even if you say increase the squad number depending on race it seems a bit odd. These are big swarm armies that overwhelm with sheer numbers. Six squads doesnt sound like it would do justice to those races.

Sounds like more of a Space Marine, Eldar, or Inquisition system.

Or it could just be a singleplayer campaign aspect. :P

But all in all good news! Thanks for the info cant wait till April!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny Ark
    Oh sweet Jesus Christ, Havoc physics engine? If I recall that's the same one for Smash bros. Brawl, and that's not entirely a good thing >__>
    Its also the same one used in Half life 2, or Company Of Heroes.

They all use the same physics engine, its just that some developers are actually tallented and some are just 2 bit hacks.

Togra
    Crap, Sturmer is right, I mislooked, it is september 2006 idd. It's the lettertype on black. If someone could change the first post, be my guest. Sorry again.

About the engine, Mark Noseworthy said in the interview that they picked the CoH engine because they could modify it and adapt it easily for the specific needs of DoW II.

Ghengiskhan
    Agreed Havoc works very well in both HL2 and CoH so i dont see that being a problem.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information