Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Dawn Of Skirmish SS v3.00 AI Mod is now LIVE!!

Dawn Of Skirmish SS v3.00 AI Mod is now LIVE!!

Dawn Of Skirmish *SOUL STORM EXPANSION ONLY* V3.0 RELEASE and Acknowledgements (April 2008)
    ============================================================================

Main Download Link (Fast!)

Meet the Cast:
    ==============

Thudo (Thudmeizer)..>> Team Lead/Coder/Gfx/Bonafied Cheerleader
    ArkhanTheBlack......>> Lead Coder/Scripter
    LarkinVB............>> Lead Coder/Scripter/Beta Tester
    Corsix..............>> Coder
    Inquisitor..........>> Beta Tester/Assistance with camera mod
    Zenoth..............>> Beta Tester
    Smokeskin...........>> Beta Tester
    Dreddnott...........>> Beta Tester
    Malkor..............>> Beta Tester
    Troubadour..........>> Beta Tester

Introduction
    ============

Prepare for a more enhanced Dawn Of War - Soul Storm skirmish experience!

This project started after the release of Dawn Of War with the intent to bring to the global DoW community a more intense and satisfying AI opponent on the field of war. We hope you will agree that has been achieved with the understanding more is to be done in the future. Our work continues to evolve and in the coming months will make current efforts pale in comparison. However, you have to start somewhere and hot damn what a jumpstart!

Its been a slice from start to, well, continuing! We're so looking forward to enhancing the AI even further in the coming months!

A Personal Thanks
    =================

At this time I would like to personally thank all the participating members of the team:

ArkhanTheBlack, LarkinVB, and Corsix, as well as our beta testers, Zenoth, Smokeskin, Dreddnott, Troubadour, Malkor, Inquisitor, and all who keep our work "in-perspective" and "on-track" with our ultimate goals of achieving the most competitive DoW AI opponent we can create!.

Its through your dedication, patience, and technical expertise that allowed the work to commence and prosper. Without you fellers, there'd be a pittence of work compared to the greatness this project has become. We've come a long way and do sincerely hope to continue our expert correspondance into the future of the product.

CutterShane (Original idea and implementation of the Heroes mod)

Alex Gnome (Original idea and implementation of the Camera mod)

Disclaimer
    ==========

This is to acknowledge that we take no personal responsibility for any hardware damage or data corruption brought forth by the use or installation of this DoW modification. As used, this modification works "as is" and has been thoroughly tested and should not cause any major problems. In the event, however, that something serious does occur, it is up to the user(s) of their computer(s) to make appropriate backups before any attempt is made to install the following DoW modification. Use at your own risk.

Whats In The Package?
    ====================

o Main Installation Package containing the Enhanced DoW AI scripts (contains ONLY those .ai files that our team altered)
    o Dawn Of Skirmish SS V3.0 dowai.txt (what your reading)
    o Doc folder containing information how to add your own faction to the AI project.

Installation
    ============

Piece of Cake! Run the executable and it will extract to where your <installed Dawn Of War folder> is.

Once installed, run the newly placed shortcut on your desktop "DOW Skirmish AI V3.0" or from StartMenu/Programs/"Dawn Of War Skirmish AI Mod". You will know if the modification is running when on the top-left section of the Dawn Of War Main Menu it will display: Dawn Of Skirmish V3.0.

To uninstall this modification, go back to StartMenu/Programs/"DOW Skirmish AI Mod" and choose "Remove Dawn Of Skirmish AI Mod" to remove the modification from Dawn Of War.

**NOTE**

This version of the AI mod will only work with the Soul Storm Expansion.

What's new in Dawn of Skirmish SS AI 3.0?
    =========================================

o New AI's for Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle
    o Old races ported and optimized for SS
    o AI harassing improved
    o AI attacks more often
    o AI upgrades heavy weapons and leaders more often
    o Builders can assist with building and repair friendly buildings and vehicles
    o Heroes Special Mod updated with new races and campaign
    o New Massive Battles Mod to increase army size of all players
    o New Fortress Mod to increase strength of turrets, mines and posts if you want more defensive battles
    o Countless smaller fixes

Issues: Unfortunately, the unit jumping got a bit unstable in SS. We've fixed it as far as possible,
    but we can't give a 100 % guaranty that it's stable on all machines since it's a hard coded
    problem, which only Relic can fix.

Extended camera zoom modes
    ==========================
    Optional installation feature which adds two files camera_high.lua and camera_low.lua to the Dowai_mod\Data folder.
    If you dislike them you can deselect them during installation or just delete them if you already installed them.
    The default view is almost the same like vanilla therefore you shouldn't notice much difference until you start
    to zoom in or out. Thanks to Alex Gnome for the original discovery of the camera settings.

AI Highspeed Setting
    ====================
    Option set in the game mode panel at the setup of a game.

People who experience heavy lag and sync problems in multiplayer should try this option.
    Some AI calculations are simplified or skipped to increase performance.
    But beware, the AI could be slightly weaker because of that.

Heroes Special Mod
    ==================
    Activates the Heroes Special mod which is a rework of CutterShanes exceptional Heroes mod, that specializes
    only on the unit experience system. Have a look at the Heroes Special readme file for further information.
    There's also a Heroes Special modding document which describes the inclusion and modification of Heroes Special
    for other mods.

Massive Battles Mod
    ===================
    Was also part of Cuttershanes original Heroes Mod. Increases the squad and support cap maximum by 50%.
    Therefore all players can build squads and vehicles up to 30 squad and 30 support cap. (Except Orcs)

Fortress Mod
    ============
    Use this if you prefer defensive games with stronger turrets, mines and fortified listening posts. The AI will
    also build more turrets and mines as in normal games.

AI Donation System
    ==================

- All races donate requisition if they own more than 800

- All races demand requisition if they own less than 200

- All races donate power if they own more than 600 (Necrons: more than 1100)

- All races demand power if they own less than 200 (Necrons: less than 400)

AI Config Panel
    ===============

There are several options you can change for each difficulty level to adjust the AI behaviour to you liking.

1.) Dancing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dancing is the ability to run away with ranged units if they are attacked in melee.
    There are three possible settings:
    a) Off => Dancing is not used at all
    b) Standard => The AI is restricted to only dance with one unit at a time
    c) Godlike => The AI will dance with several units at a time if necessary

2.) Attack Delay
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This forces the AI to wait with an attack until a specif time has passed.
    You can adjust this time in two minute steps from 0 to 20 minutes.

3.) Tech Speed
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    With an increased teching speed, the AI will spend its resources more on teching than on building troops.
    With a decreased teching speed, the AI will spend its resources more on building troops than on teching.

4.) Teching Handicap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A handicap will slow down the teching of an AI. It will also hoard more ressources
    instead of spending it immediately for units or buildings.
    You can give allies an handicap or opponents. If you give allies a handicap, all
    AI's allied with a human player are affected. If you give opponents a handicap, all
    AI's not allied with a human player are affected. You can use this behaviour for
    example to weaken AI opponents if you don't feel good enough to face them at full
    strength. Or you want the exact opposite, a real challenge, and weaken your own
    allies, so you have to do more yourselve.

5.) Allow alternative strategies
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All AI's have 4 different strategies:

- A solid allround strategy
    - A special ranged strategy
    - A special melee strategy
    - A vehicle fast tech strategy

If alternative strategies are activated, the AIs will choose one of those strategies at the start by
    random, though the chances of each strategy are influenced by opponent and map size. If deactivated,
    the AI will always choose the solid allround strategy.

6.) Early Harassing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This allows commanders and combat troops to make an attack at an extremly early state to
    avoid opposing scout capturing strategic points. If successfull, this can severly cripple
    the opponents ressource income and decide the game at a very early state. On the other side,
    harassing can also lead to a quick sacrifice of troops, which gives the opponent an advantage.
    Harassing is only possible in the first 4 minutes.

7.) Dynamic Production Buildings
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The AI normally builds more troop production buildings if it has excess ressources. This allows
    often an outproducing of the opponenr who can't replace its losses fast enough.
    Bear in mind that the AI might still build more troop production because of other reasons. IG for
    example need to build them to increase their squad and support caps. In this case those buildings
    are normally only built a bit later. This can also hurt the balance between the races since some
    of them are affected more and others less of it.

8.) Build Relic units
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If deactivated, the AI won't build any Relic units like the Baneblade from the Imperial Guard or the Chaos
    Bloodthirster.

9.) Build turrets
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If deactivated, the AI won't build any turrets (except Orc Waagh Banners).

10.) Build mines
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If deactivated, the AI won't build any mines.

Script Changes (from the original game to what we have today)
    ==============
    Available upon request.

Comments?
    =========
    Visit us at our home base
    You can also drop by the official Relicforums here: http://forums.relicnews.com/

Cheers DoW Community and prepare for some serious ownage!

YEAH!

Congrats to the AI team.

OMG YESSS! I was about to give up on this game, I was fed up with seeing "Hard" AI build squads of Guardians and do **** all for the entire game... no relic units, no upgraded stuff... nothing. It was simply atrocious and whoever coded SS AI should have their nadgers removed, or be fired at the very least. you have just made me and my friend the happiest nutsacks on earth, woo-hoo!

Thanks so much man, you are a legend.
    Last edited by Richdog; 9th Apr 08 at 6:47 AM.
    Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows. - David T. Wolf

Ok, NOW I can take Soul Storm back from my shelf and play it again. It'll actually be fun this time around. Thanks again to the AI Skirmish team.

Putnam County,State Of West Virginia,U.S.A
    Many many thousands of thanks AI Team,Know Soulstorm will truly be worth playing,Later guys have a good one and thanks again.
    Last edited by Radulykan; 9th Apr 08 at 6:57 AM. Reason: typo
    Outlaw guns and the only ones who will be armed are the outlaws,Criminals will be armed regardless of more silly gun laws.

That which does not kill me,Better run really really fast.

Can we get a thunderous "HOORAAYYYYYYYY!!!" ?

Seriously..

Btw Thudo I think you can post the news at the W40KOW thread too. Afaik they did allow major version announcements there.

Done!

blue.gender
    *Faints*

Putnam County,State Of West Virginia,U.S.A
    Just tried it out guys on all of the Ai difficulty settings,Know that was a truly satisfying game experience,And boy do those Dark Eldar realy put up a hell of a fight know,I realy apreciate this ,The game is know worth the 40 bucks and some change I payed for it the day it came out,Thank you very much again Ai team,Later guys and have a good one.

All hail the almighty & omnipotent AI Skirmish Team! (we are not worthy! we are not worthy! we are not worthy!...)
    Tomac

To all the people on the AI team (yes the whole team!!) That is brilliant news

You have done so well and your contribution is appreciated by the whole community

Glad to add value to a great expansion.

OH GOD THANK YOU~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

It really takes a truly crap AI (from SS) for us to truly appreciate what we've always taken for granted.

bambilambi
    First of:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

I saw that you added the heroes in the campaign, great!

I have just two small questions:

1. What AI level corresponds to the chosen difficulty in the campaign?

2. Can these extras like massive battles and fortress be added to the campaign as well in some easy manner?

If it can't then I'm still happy, very happy

thanks

Nuts. Now I might have to clear space to re-install SS... hmm.

Great job! Loving the new win conditions

morf
    hi, thanks for the mod!
    just wanted to check something..... does "hard" put you on a level playing field with the ai?

does "hard" put you on a level playing field with the ai?
    Yes in Skirmish/MP. HARD AI SKILL = 1:1 with human player.

To be honest I was waiting for this Skirmish AI since the release of Soulstorm.... now it´s time to play this game like it should be from the start...

Many thanks to all the countless hours of testing/upgrading/testing... and bringing the AI to such an awesome quality... without this shiny custom AI I wouldn´t care so much about Soulstorm... (same for DC).

From the bottom of my heart... thank you Skirmish AI team you guys rock hard

Good question, but I've no idea!

2. Can these extras like massive battles and fortress be added to the campaign as well in some easy manner?
    Yes! You have to open the kaurava.map file in the Dawn of War - Soulstorm\Dowai_mod\Data\scenarios\sp directory and add them to the victory conditions. Just search for "heroes" in this file and you'll see where the victory conditions are located.

raphealray36
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to go to war!!

bambilambi
    Good question, but I've no idea!

Home from work, so now it's time to find out .

Thanks btw it worked great!!!

Ozendorph
    Awesome. I can now purchase SS. THQ really ought to be paying you guys.

hm i have a question dudes... what will happen if im to install this wonderful mod into an already existing mod? Witch btw does nothing to the computers AI itsef.
    The Zombie Survival Guide teaches us to use rifles instead of machineguns. Preserve AMMO! Be a SURVIVOR!

Mods like Steel Legions, DH_ID, Harlequins, and WitchHunters don't support SS Advanced AI - they will if I decide to release an AI pack.

Right at the back of your mind, chipping away at your sanity
    omg omg omg it's out. Nice one Thud. Dl'ing now.

I'm not stupid enough to tell you that I'm British!
    W22!

Yay! Congratulations to Thudmeizer & team! Downloading now...

Out of interest, what EXACTLY does the fortress adjustment do to turrets? Also, does it have any effect on mines? I'd like to see mines with either higher explosion counts per minefield (to extend their lifetime), or dealing more damage per blast.

Furthurmore, now that this is out, It is possible for me to port TTRU over to Soulstorm (though I won't be doing that yet, as I have a few other things to fix first).

Thanks.

---------EDIT----------

Okay, I've looked at the SCAR file for the fortress mod. Not sure if you could do this, but I feel that the turret/Listening post damage buff is too high. 50% buff would probably be better than 100%, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use infantry to take down the structures. The HP improvements are fine though.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Zany Reaper; 9th Apr 08 at 12:20 PM.
    Leader & (a) modeler/texture artist/animator of the

Closer-to-codex mod files - To expand your mod.
    Codex Toolbox project - for furthur mod expansion!
    One more thing:

random guy
    Quick question

when i play the comp skirmish, have you removed the fact they have more req/power than you to give them a advantage. So you start with equal req and power, no matter what difficulty? So it's more like going another person on the net?

We did neither add nor remove it. Relic doubled starting power (not req) for DC but now it is back to normal with SS. The income modifiers are still there. Play hard for an even game.

Great, just great AI. Played several games against SM against Tau 2vs2 and got owned badly until an infamous turret spam was used

Claymore

Excellent work AI guys!
    Pulse Carbine Lover, StuG Addict

raphealray36

Another question of cross-modding

Adding to the question if I one can install this into another mod.

What if I am using a Soulstorm mod already? I have a SS mod I’ve been playing with that greatly increase the squad/vehicle cap - a lot more than 50% and increases not only the maximum, but through all cap upgrade tiers.

I would like to incorporate everything from your skirmish mod into that mod. Or the other way around.

Basically all I want is the great cap increase but everything else be Skirmish AI.

Would it be as easy as just installing skirmish AI into that mod’s folder as opposed to the SS folder where it is set to install? Would this screw up the game somehow?

I know DOWXP and FoK incorporated Skirmish AI in their mods. I have no modding experience, so if this is too confusing, I’ll just forget about it.

Once again though, thanks a great deal for your work! I never play Multiplayer and your AI has made DC so much more enjoyable for me. I may just leave work early now because I got to get home a play this SS AI.
    Last edited by raphealray36; 9th Apr 08 at 2:42 PM.

Oh hell yes, thank you all of you in the AI team and its testers for this. I've been waiting for so long.

Kaybrinth
    Thanks very much, this mod is why I still pay any form of Dawn of War...

I'm so happy, me and my elephant ( ) are dancing

Much <3 to the AI team

How to install the dowai mod into another mod

This is how I did it. In <your_mod>.module add a line like:

DataFolder.3 = ..\dowai_mod\Data

Yep, that's all I had to do

I feel the need to testify. Brothers, can I get an amen!

I added dowai to a mod I'm working on, and played a map I played last night. Luckily, I had the foresight to turn it down to Hard. The map, Ghost City (which I recommend) is for 8 players and I set it for 4 teams.

Had a few good opening clashes, established my econ zone, and was sending out a force to help my AI ally. I was content, no, I was feeling self satisfied and complacent. Pride goes before the fall, brothers!

The SM foe I had fought to a standstill hit back, hard. Supported by its Tau ally. They had more vehicles than I had! A land speeder, two Dreadnaughts and a Skyray. Melee troops tied my forces, shootie troops cut them down.

I did a fighting withdrawal to my base perimeter, but even the free use of the mighty pause button was not enough to save the majority of my forces.

Finally the dreads were down, the tau retreated, and I was left to contemplate how I could pick up the pieces, with Tau and SM capping my previously held points.

Man, I gotta thank the kind folks involved with this mod. This is awesome!

Moezilla
    Been a DoS player since DoW and just joined recently to say this:

"Dawn Of Skirmish SS is the only reason that my Soulstorm disc isn't under my coffee mug."

AI team - those who are about to die salute you!

Furthurmore, now that this is out, It is possible for me to port TTRU over to Soulstorm (though I won't be doing that yet, as I have a few other things to fix first).
    Zany.. its been 6+ months since I worked your TTRU and in that time Gorbs came and re-scripted alot of the TTRU code that needed it. You have not asked me to redo the TTRU AI so let me know plez.

Extended camera zoom modes
    --

I haven't used the extended camera zoom modes before in this mod.

I decided to give it a go.

But, after looking at the Readme and searching for camera a bit, I haven't been able to find the keyboard command or mouse controls for the Extended camera zoom modes.

What are they?

There has got to be some way to make the camera zoom in and out.

Maybe there's a way to do it in plain vanilla that I have overlooked and the commands are the same?

There has got to be some way to make the camera zoom in and out.
    Yes, the mouse wheel!

So, since this will alter the basic campaign AI, I'd love an additional file which altered the health values so you could choose the health values - maybe make them all "1:1" and leave the AI level's to be the difficulty

(that is; I played on Hard though once and it was still damn easy except some fortresses where the uber units had tons of health. Normal puts it too far in the player's favour I think!)

Edit: here it was, of course

If you can't, I could always look into it, since it's somewhere on these forums already. I was thinking to do a "Campaign Revamp" since the fortress missions (generally) are easy as cake, and adding in a harder set of things for "hard" difficulty, and balancing them a bit, perhaps adding in a bit more AI too. Depends on if we get a map editor or not, which I should check up on.
    Last edited by Finaldeath; 9th Apr 08 at 6:07 PM.
    Finaldeath

Current DOW information on modding + FAQ - A good read for new and old modders alike!
    RDN Wiki Temp Location - Help, tutorials, Mod Tools info.

nanaski
    I used that SS mod manager to run them both (the HP fix and the AI mod), but I've run into a fatal scar error at the end of the DE HQ mission. I havent had time to re-do the mission with just the AI mod though, so I dunno which one caused the error.

I used that SS mod manager to run them both (the HP fix and the AI mod), but I've run into a fatal scar error at the end of the DE HQ mission
    It is very helpfull to open he console and write down the error message if it is no CTD.

Builders can assist with building and repair friendly buildings and vehicles
    This is one of my favourite new features in this version of the mod. It's been worked out so that you can place buildings in your allies' bases and you don't even have to worry about sending a builder over to build it anymore.

AI team,

In my infinite wisdom (or stupidity your choice ) I have altered a lot of the weapons files so damage fits in with my ideas about how it would all work in the w40k universe. How do I generate the numbers for the AI so that in the unit info files it knows which units ar ebest against what armour type ?

I did a search but couldn't find any instructions (a pointer to where it is your documentation will help )

cheers in advance

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need my SS now.

46. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #46
    Yay!

I did a search but couldn't find any instructions (a pointer to where it is your documentation will help )
    Its in our doc folder with every release. \dowai_mod\data\ai\docs

I know where the document is just can;t find where it says how to calculate the ai weapon strengths

Here are Alternate Docs!

i have the docs (as i said last post) but the only part I can find about the weapon effectiveness is this

excerpt from ai file

but it doesn't say how they are generated for each weapon which is what i need since I have changed weapon armour piercing stats which will affect what they are good against
    Last edited by Hornedrat; 10th Apr 08 at 3:14 PM. Reason: random typo's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information