Page 1 of 59 123456789101151 ... LastLast

[SS] CornCobMan's Fun Mod version 1.79 (03/08/2014)

[SS] CornCobMan's Fun Mod version 1.79 (03/08/2014)

Required files

1.79 Attrib (03/08/2014)
    Download it here or here or here

1.79 Art (03/08/2014)

Optional files

Gridkeys implementation
    Download it here
    Thanks to Rotlung
    (put it in the Soulstorm game folder, inside the profiles/profile[n]/corncobmod or profiles/profile[n]/corncobmod_nids folder)

Tyranids add-on 1.77.5 (31/05/2014)
    Download it here or here
    (Requires the Tyranids mod version 0.55b2)
    Thanks to the Tyranids mod team

Argonaut's Survival Mod add-on 1.66.5 (11/08/2011)
    Download it here
    (Requires Argonaut's Survival Mod, preferably Fuggle's unofficial Survival Mod mod)
    Thanks to Argonaut and Fuggles

Fuggles Random Win Conditions mod + FunMod add-on
    Thanks to Fuggles

Single player campaign Heroes add-on
    Download it here

No limits add-on
    Download it here

Team colourable Chaos marked troops (Berserkers, Noise, Plague and Rubric Marines) and Eldar Warp Spiders
    Download it here
    (Thanks to RMX)

Imperial Guard Captain Vance Stubbs voice
    Download it here or
    (Thanks to boring)

Single player campaign Blood Ravens colour scheme
    Download it here or
    (Thanks to boring)

Red Necron firing effects
    Download it here
    Extract to whichever mod folder you want to use. (Thanks to Sataman and Count_Bagatur)

How to combine other mods with this one (Thanks to RMX)

Installation instructions

If you have installed a previous version, delete everything inside the CornCobMod folder prior to extracting the files.

Download the Attrib file and the Art file and just extract the zip files to the Soulstorm folder (making sure folders are preserved) and select CornCobMod from the Game Manager within the game.

If you want to play the FunMod combined with the Tyranids mod (and you have the Tyranids mod installed), download and extract the Tyranids add-on file and select CornCobMod + Tyranids from the Game Manager.

If you want to play the FunMod combined with Argonaut's Survival mod (and you have the Survival mod installed), download the Survival mod add-on and select Survival:Art of Defense + CornCobMod from the Game Manager.

Description

Presenting the CornCobMod or the CornCobMan's FunMod (I'm really creative and original with names you see).

This mod aims to...well it doesn't have an aim. Apart from causing pain and suffering - I mean fun to the end user. It just makes the game more fun to me, and hopefully to you as well with any luck. It started off as a minor change mod that slowly evolved into this monstrosity (I mean that in a good way) as a result of me going completely bonkers, with a few little helpful suggestions from the people with the suggestions.

Anyway a lot of things have been changed, swapped or otherwise bastardised in a fashion that may or may not be balanced but that is not my primary concern. Also included is the Dawn of Skirmish AI mod version something or other. Thanks to them and such.

Most of the fixes in the Nobrainer Bugs list are included this mod, as well as most, if not all, of the fixes from the Bugfix mod by Maktaka. Thanks go to him for compiling the big list of things to fix and for providing the Bugfix mod.

Some thanks go to Argonaut for his Survival mod which I spent many hours playing and Fuggles for his random win conditions mod and for his Unofficial mod of the aforementioned Survival mod.

Big thanks to Zany Reaper for allowing me to use a lot of his units from his TTRU mod, such as the Tau Mines, Broadsides and Drones, Necron Destroyer and Heavy Destroyer with resurrection animations, DE Reaver with Blaster upgrade and Talos with jump animation.

Also honourable mentions go to the Firestorm over Kronus (or soon to be Kaurava) mod for generously allowing modders with no talent for modelling to use their models and stuff, Gerberman for a lot of FX and stuff, Catwell for the GUO and KoS models and Gr0rc for his OE work on them and to the DoWXP mod team for some bits and pieces.

screenshots

more screenshots

even more screenshots

Recent Changes:

1.79 changes:

1.78.5 changes:

1.78 changes:

1.77.5 changes:

1.77 changes:

1.76 changes:

1.75.5 changes:

1.75 changes:

1.74.5 changes:

1.74 changes:

1.73.5 changes:

Version 1.73 Changes:

Version 1.72.5 Changes:

Version 1.72 Changes:

Version 1.71 Changes:

Old changes:

Old changes:

Credits

Credits

Disclaimer

If you wish to use some parts of the mod as part of your own work and then release it to the public, contact me first as then I can tell you whether you have permission. If it's for private use then you don't need to ask, provided that you do not make it available to the public!

I do not take responsibility for computers exploding out of pure shame or loss of data, memory, sleep, dignity or limbs due to exposure to this mod. Having said that, have fun and I hope you like it.
    Last edited by corncobman; 31st Oct 14 at 9:42 PM.
    -It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end (Douglas Adams)-
    -Make something idiot proof and nature will create a better idiot.-
    -Me fail English? That's unpossible!-

I'm not stupid enough to tell you that I'm British!
    Huh? I thought that you were gonna make your mod less balanced than currently in SS? :S

Anyhow, fun! Might download later.

While you're at it, don't suppose you could experiment with adding semi-hardcounters to certain units. I want plasma guns to be useful again.

(P.S. - by semi, I mean less extreme compared to dowPRO or original DOW. Something like an extra 250% damage to heavy compared to infantry for something perhaps, rather than more like 600% as it was for Dark Reapers back then. Hated that...)
    Leader & (a) modeler/texture artist/animator of the

Closer-to-codex mod files - To expand your mod.
    Codex Toolbox project - for furthur mod expansion!
    One more thing:

Semi-hard counters, hmmmmm....

I'll think about it.

Veteran Assault Terminator Makenshi's Avatar
    The changes to Dark Eldar are made of distilled and refined win

Wow, quite a few things in there I've always wanted to see. I will have to give this a try!

Only thing that really stands out off the bat is some of the Necron changes: you opted to make them have to spend more power, but also made it harder for them to GET power? Not sure I am feeling that, but I am going to give it a whirl.
    Last edited by DeadlyFred; 18th May 08 at 3:02 PM.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." --Frederick The Great

Yeah, I may tweak the Necron economy a bit, but the generators are 1/2 the cost they were originally so it isn't really that much harder to get power.

So I see so I see. An aside: it may just be a fluke on my end, but WinRAR reported the archive as being corrupt and I'm seeing quite a few "pink boxes", so far for the DE mines and IG squads. Going to redownload and try it again to check if its just me or not.

wow, this sounds like tons of fun. Any chance you can add the missing grotesques for DE ? (I'd use a placeholder FO model if you can not scavenge something). I really want to play with those guys.
    Last edited by dtitov; 18th May 08 at 4:22 PM.
    Animator and a hobby modeller. Reel & contact: http://www.titovdenis.com

Since I'm not a modeller, it's highly unlikely that any new units not freely available will be added. I've never heard of Grotesques. I wonder what they look like *Googles*

@DeadlyFred, I downloaded just there now and I don't get that message with Winrar so I guess it got corrupted while you were downloading.
    Last edited by corncobman; 18th May 08 at 4:24 PM.

Well you can use some other races' unit (i vote for Flayed Ones)to represent them. It's the only unit missing from the codex for de (short of dracons but whatev, grotesques are so much cooler) and i am sure that any DE TT player would love to have them.

Oh, big please can you fix Talos footprint ? I don't think it's walker like more vehicle like and that thing has HORRID pathing problems becuase of that.

Talking of grotesques

fluff is easy to find. Mechanicaly they are a tougher version of mandrakes BUT they don't infiltrate, are very are very hard to kill (weapons either do no damage to them*wekaer ones* or outright kill them*stronger ones*) to compensate they are half the mandrake squad size and can only move around(unless to attack) with a character attached to them
    Last edited by dtitov; 18th May 08 at 4:45 PM.

Hmmmmm, I am reluctant to add them because from what I gather they are a close combat oriented unit that do morale damage, and Dark Eldar have quite a lot of melee units already. I will give it a bit of thought.

EDIT: I already changed the Talos movement type to what the SM Dreadnought uses, I think I reduced the size of the clip area too but I'm not sure. I guess I could make it accelerate a bit faster.
    Last edited by corncobman; 18th May 08 at 4:49 PM.

Awesome, thanks for talos a lot
    did you do any changes to raider crafts ? 3 pop for a transport is just :S :S :S Even with all the perks

I think I reduced it to 2 pop yes.

If you didn't you definitely should, because Raiders costing 3 pop is unbearable - specially when compared to Falcons (best transport in the game imo).

Also, any chance you can insert SM Devastators (from DoW XP) in your mod? Their Lascanons are kick ass AV!

Heavy Weapons Team starts with Lascannon, upgradeable to Heavy Bolter and Autocannon
    OMG this is seriously awesome stuff! 1337 job dood

I'm thinking of adding Devastators, Chaos Havocs and Ork 'Ard Boyz, but I'm still undecided on whether they actually need them.

the only mod i installed before was DowPro and it had an installer how do install that ? (and would i be able to choose to play with regular SS or You mod if i do ?)

Thnx for quick feedback.

I don't think 'ard boys are needed, there's already enough melee for orks (not that they need ranged either). If anything, they need Deffkoptas for pure fun and coolness

Chaos have a very good AV infantry with horrors, giving CSM missiles back would be enough - restoring cut content is always good anyway

But SM could do it nice with Devastators; if I were you*, I'd give them missiles out-of-the-box and let them upgrade with heavy bolters, lascanons or plasma canons (DoW XP has all except ootb missiles, but AV ootb is what SM really needs)

*In fact, as soon as I learn how to mod (and get my degree) I will do a mod, in His name I swear ^^

the only mod i installed before was DowPro and it had an installer how do install that ? (and would i be able to choose to play with regular SS or You mod if i do ?)
    Damn, I should have given instructions and/or made it self-extracting. Anyway you just extract it to your Soulstorm folder (making sure the folder names are preserved), and select the mod from the Game Manager menu.

Ok, re-downloading seems to have fixed, good!

Just an aside, as it is your mod and you can do as you will with it, but I kinda like that it doesn't have a whole lot of huge changes (like DowPro, etc). It would be nice to have a mod around which is mostly just tweaks and small changes, rather than a complete overhaul. But again, just my opinion.

IMO range upgrade for DE should be tier 2 not 3. Tier 3 they are strong enough as is. Where as tier 2 when you still have a fair bit of warrior squads (if you went HOB) but are getting outranged by all the heavy weapons and de struggle.

Your opening post should be changed to say mandrake infiltration is T1.5 now (T1.5 is after armory. T2 is after 1st HQ upgrade range upgrade should be T2 for reasons mentioned above)

Also could you fix hellions leader downgrades (look at his damag with melle upgades: http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/Hellion_Succubus where most DE leader get 2.5 to 3 damage *wych succbus* hellion leader damage actually downgrades :S )

PS: played as necrons on hard vs sm on Shrine of Excellion sm did not do anything for 3 minutes into the game :S have replay but do not see an attach option here :S
    Last edited by dtitov; 18th May 08 at 8:19 PM.

When you mention that the 'squiggoth size is reduced,' is that just the footprint, or the actual WHOLE model? It should only be the footprint that needs a reduction, not the actual whole dude.

Just the footprint. I should mention that.

@dtitov thanks for the feedback. I'll check the Hellion leader, and the SM AI.
    Last edited by corncobman; 19th May 08 at 6:07 AM.

Ah, that's a relief. I'd be very annoyed to see the Squiggoth shrunk, especially seeing as it deserves to be big.

Come to think of it, Relic doesn't even use its full size. The sim_vis lua file gives it a vis_scale min/max of 0.8. If you increased those to 1, then it'd look more deserving. Of course, without reducing the footprint its pathing would still suck, but it'd look more realistic.

1.1 mini-patch added, see first post

So, no models were actually visually reduced in size, correct?

The #1 reason I didn't/wouldn't DL your mod is when I read that you reduced the epic size of some uber units.
    Last edited by mlai; 19th May 08 at 8:21 AM.

Yeah just the footprint sizes have been reduced for Relic units. However Guard Mech Command and Mars Pattern buildings have been reduced in appearance as well.

Also, you didn't do anything about the imba dps of Barracuda? They need severe nerf. I don't care if you increase their hps to compensate.

On that note, most of the air units need a lot of love (tweaks). Look in balance forum for all the good suggestions regarding various air units.

Also, Air Scarabs can attack ground units? How does that work (visually)??

I think I reduced the total damage and spread out the damage more over the weapons.

For the Scarabs, I made them "fly" quite a lot lower, sort of in between air units and ground units.

Tactical Plasma Gun damage against Infantry Heavy High and Infantry Heavy Medium increased
    Tactical Heavy Bolter damage against Infantry Heavy High and Infantry Heavy Medium decreased
    I wasn't suggesting JUST SM plasma guns as hard-counters. Besides, the infantry damage should also be somewhat reduced for plasma guns (obviously not against heavy infantry) to be true hard-counters

Dark Reapers, Warp Spiders (vs infantry), Tau fire warriors (should be powerful against heavy infantry only), assault cannons (also heavy infantry) & ALL plasma guns are the sorts of things that deserve hard-counters. Keeps them useful, or prevents other stuff from being redundant.

Wouldn't mind seeing commanders be more damage-resistant to most weapons too. Only other commanders should truely be effective against commanders.

It'd also be cool to have all commanders (except the Tau one) effective against monster_high & vehicle_high armour types. Currently, the IG captain (ignore the other leader options in the command squad) & the Archon (ignore Incubi) suck against those things.

awesome. Quick feedback is the best. Downloading to try. Btw is there a way for destroyer lord for necron to have an icon on the saide jut like regular NL. Seeing as he is a full fledged secondary hero it would help.

DE are darn close to perfect now. I do not think they need mines however. I mean i certainly like them, but considering DE build style people might cry imba.

LOOVE the Talos now
    Last edited by dtitov; 19th May 08 at 1:48 PM.

@Zany Reaper, good point about the commanders. I know you weren't talking about only SM plasma guns but I am taking things one step at a time. :P

@dtitov. Sure, good idea.

Another thing. Haven't tested 2 dais yet and it might very well be balanced, however there's one thing that bugs me it is

having 2 Asdrubael Vect

He is a unique character and lord of Commoragh. I'd rather have Dais rebalanced with having only 1, for fluff reasons. Once again i see no problem with dais if it is rebalanced mechanicaly to be 2 of them but it MURDERS fluff and conversely fun for me.

Why would you even need 2 Dais? 1's enough, even with beam fixed.

And Corncob, don't let ppl talk you into making too many weird changes. The entire draw of your mod is that it takes care of only the balance problems with the most consensus.

that is what i was saying you could just as well balance one dais and it's better fluff wise.

Yeah, I have considered putting the hardcap on the Dais back to 1. I just like having two of them around . I don't know, there's just something about the Dais that doesn't fill me with awe, I think it's the fact that it looks really similar to the Ravager and Raider from a distance, and the selection box is smaller than that of the Ravager so it doesn't really stand out as a Relic unit. To me anyway.

EDIT: Screw it I'll just make the damn thing bigger. Ok, the Dais hardcap is back to 1.

Can you give me feedback on the other races?
    SM Devastators - yes / no?
    Last edited by corncobman; 20th May 08 at 11:21 AM.

mlai - Actually, he isn't making a mod that purely balances the game, he's trying stuff out to make it more fun too. Hard-counters are the way to go if they're implemented right... and DO NOT say that they cannot ever be implemented correctly. They can be done better than they were in DCpro for a start by making them less extreme.

corncobman - Yeah, experiment with the hard-counters. Just remember not to make them as insanely biased as they were in vanilla DOW, where reapers could do jack-shit to light infantry. That's what made the game less fun - they should be able to deal a meagre amount of damage to weak infantry, but about 250% better to heavy infantry types. It'd still encourage players to use banshees or warp spiders against non-heavy infantry targets (although banshees are supposedly anti-all infantry).

Ressurecting cost scaling would also be great too. Makes higher-power units seem more their worth, & also makes using weaker infantry more cost-viable if you don't wish to blam your resources off on expensive elites

As for Marine Devastators, they should only be implemented if tactical marines are not made redundant. Me thinks that you should take a book out of Relic's Celestian squad & make them good against vehicles (& buildings) only, via the application of cheap upgrades.
    The Lascannon & Missile launcher upgrades are probably the only 2 suitable for this purpose. Giving them heavy bolters & plasma cannons will effectively make ordinary marines completely shite, even if they're hard-capped.
    Lascannons should be ideal at taking down vehicles, whereas missile launchers would deal more damage to buildings. I imagine lascannons basically dealing out a similar DPS as missile launchers deal to vehicles at the moment. Missile launchers can have their vehicle damage roughly halved & have their damage buffed against buildings a tad.

Oh, & tactical marines would no longer need to have missile launchers as upgrades. Makes devastators somewhat less useful.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Dais' dark Scythe's damage being somewhat buffed against vehicles at least too, if not against buildings & monsterous creatures. What really pissed people off the most about this ability was that it would annihilate entire squads of infantry, ANY infantry in one go. Vehicles however were less badly affected as they boast lots of HP in small squads.

If this is a "fun" mod, not a "balance" mod, then restore all slashed content.

Chaos:
    You restored marine MLs. Now restore marine flamers and raptor plasma.
    You might want to take a look at how DCpro gives Horrors DOW-style fireballs to start with, upgrading to DC-style fireballs with Demonic Fire research. The point of this is so Chaos MLs are AV while Horrors start off AI, then upgrade to soft AV after research.

Orkz:
    Give BM back his super stikk bomb.
    Put DOW LP2 and WB2 models back in.
    Give sluggas, shootas, and nobz back their stikk bombz.
    If you restore Tankbustaz back to DoW format (have to purchase their rokkitz), then give shootas ability to use rokkitz again.

IG:
    Restore officer weapons research.
    Make Bassies not shit.
    Restore Psyker self-explosion for something. It's fun.

All:
    Tweak air units.

@mlai, interesting about the Horrors. If I restore flamers for CSM I'll probably move the heavy bolters back to tier 2. Raptor plasma I'm not sure about since Raptors have flamers, and ASM don't get any weapon upgrades currently.

Give BM back his super stikk bomb.

Make Bassies not shit.
    Already done, Basilisks are cheaper power wise and have a faster fire rate.

Put DOW LP2 and WB2 models back in.
    What's different about them?

Restore officer weapons research.
    I've already added a few researches for officer weapons, but the appearance of the models don't change.

Anyway lots to think about.

Raptors can get plasma in same tier CSM get plasma, for scaling.
    DOW ork LP2 and WB2 have different models. Right now orkz use same models for LP2/3 and WB2/3.
    Check other mods to see how to change models of IG officers.

Hey this mod sounds as if its got a lot of potential... do you think you could expand it into becoming not only one that's (more, but it's debatable) fun, but also one where there's more balance? For the fun part anyways, I really like Zany's suggestions about semi-hard counters. I play DoWPro most of the time, and the hard counter system works great, but then sometimes I really wish I could have a sort of middle ground mod in between the hard counter system of DoWPro and the totally shit counter system SS has. Or simply put, a semi-hard counter system as Zany kindly put. Haven't tried the mod out yet, but will definitely do so

EDIT: As a side note, why not upload your mod to dow.lerp? Makes downloading easier as the waiting time is gone. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by prejudice; 21st May 08 at 7:39 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

mlai - I'm not sure if ALL slashed content should be restored. I get the feeling that most of it was removed because hard-counters were thrown out for the most part.

CSM missile launchers are great... Infiltrated CSM missile launchers are overpowered. I wouldn't mind seeing separate anti-vehicle squads, like Havocs, where missile launchers or auto/lascannons are upgrades - similar to devastator situation. Problem is that you'd have to find a different role for Horror squads. The best suggestion I have for horrors are as damage-magnets. That's it though.
    Still, I'm in for the idea of 'upgradable fireballs,' making them more-or-less anti-everything. That's provided that they're not too powerful as to make other similar things useless.

Raptor flamers should also be real cheap & quick to produce. Currently, they're the worst-value flamers in the game.

Slugga & Nobz stikk bomms would work too. I'm not so sure about shootaz though. If Shootaz were given stikk bomms, then it'd be rather hard to actually chase them down in melee. Stikk bomms are best for the attacking melee units. I know Space marine & Chaos space marine units are shooty & get grenades, but those're the only units for those races that get the frag grenades

Chaos plasma guns are overpowered. It ironically makes the heavy bolter redundant in every way except for having an inferior weapon range (but they're infiltrated, so meh). Again, semi-hard counters FTW here, probably with a slightly lower damage than the space marine equivalents to allow for infiltration.

what's with toggled stealth?
    requires more micro of stealth units, less fun imo.

I like it.

Toggleable stealth ala DOW stealth is the #1 draw of this mod IMO. I'm not sure why DCpro wasn't able to do this, but it was the main disappointment I had (and still have) with DCpro.

mlai - I'm not sure if ALL slashed content should be restored. I get the feeling that most of it was removed because hard-counters were thrown out for the most part.
    But Corn is introducing semi-hard-counters, so they should all return.

CSM missile launchers are great... Infiltrated CSM missile launchers are overpowered.
    You cannot attack while stealthed, in Corn's mod.

I'm not so sure about shootaz though. If Shootaz were given stikk bomms, then it'd be rather hard to actually chase them down in melee.
    Ork stikkz are the weakest grenades, and have no modifiers such as stun or acc reduction. Hence their spammability. Shootaz aren't gonna stop anyone with stunless grenades.

BTW, how about gradually blinging up all the commanders with wargear parts, with boss health researches and tiering up? I'm only talking visually.

Edit: Downloads don't work.

45. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #45
    corncobman, just a heads up, I'll be moving this to Adeptus / merging it with the Adeptus thread once the announcement period wears off.
    Disagree with a moderator? Read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maktaka

CSM in my mod can't infiltrate at all.

I will give stikk bombs to Nobz and Slugga Boyz and rokkit launchas to Shoota Boyz.

BTW, how about gradually blinging up all the commanders with wargear parts, with boss health researches and tiering up? I'm only talking visually.
    Good idea.

Edit: Downloads don't work.
    I just tried both files there now and both appeared to work fine for me. I'm using Internet Explorer BTW.

@ Slow_runner - no problem. You can delete the thread already in there since that one has no replies.
    Last edited by corncobman; 22nd May 08 at 10:16 AM.

@ Corncob:
    I'm looking thru your RGDs on the matter of Infiltration... I can't find the lines that disable combat when toggle Infiltraion is ON. Where have you hidden it??

It's in the sbps, infiltration_ext -> modifiers_when_concealed
    Last edited by corncobman; 22nd May 08 at 1:06 PM.

It's in the sbps, infiltration_ext -> modifiers_when_concealed
    :. ...
    8o ... ...
    >8 0 ... ... ...!!!

How... did... all the modders n' Korbah n' me at DOWpro... never saw this?!?!??? Failure to replicate DOW infiltration for DCpro fruited up the mod for MONTHS. We came up with an alternative system in the end... but this was there all along?!?!?!?!!!
    I looked in DC's attrib folders and sure enough, the same code was there... HOW DID WE MISS THIS!!!!!!!!????????????????

It may have been because both ebps and sbps have infiltration_ext bits in them.

Page 1 of 59 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread Information