DoW 2 - Shortcuts - Hotkeys

DoW 2 - Shortcuts - Hotkeys

Hello everybody. This is something i really think about if i try to imagine how DoW 2 will be. For me it is a very important aspect, due to the fact that i handle the forerunner by keyboard too.

I would like to see changeable shortcuts in Dawn of War 2. You say, what the hell is he talking about? Man, i want base building, i want balancing but that? Well yes. I cannot play Dawn of War without the keyboard anymore, and i adjusted everything to my pleasure. I am playing with the arrow keys, the num block and the buttons around those.
    Few weeks ago i got Company of Heroes, one of the first things i noticed is ... shit? How to adjust my shortcuts? Well, some time passed and i did not found a thing even through google until i recognized that you cannot change it. DoW features a way to change it (KEYDEFAULTS.LUA) and hopefully Dawn of War 2 will have it too.

What do you think about this?
    Last edited by marshall666666; 12th Aug 08 at 5:08 PM.
    www.dor-clan.net
    For the Craftworld

Hotkey customisation is a must.

I think that because in DOW2 there will be no base building you should be able to allocate group numbers before the battle so u dont have to do it every time. I would love this.

Less group allocation...more fighting

Also a special hotkey that takes you straight to the most vunerable squad when under fire would be the greatest thing ever since the invention of the world....this would allow you to pull them troops out fast to be a better commander.

Marshall666666: You should change this to the "definitive DoW2 Hotkey Thread".....just a suggestion mate, as we need one of those.
    Last edited by Mind Strike; 13th Aug 08 at 1:35 AM.
    You know you are getting old when you worry about outrunning zombies

You're right Marshall, this is a very important consideration, and although I never bothered with changing my keydefaults in DoW, it should definitely be something you can change in any game! I don't think we're going to have any idea about DoW2's key binding customisability until we get there, though.

Holy cow of the emperor, I wonder if there's a single aspect of this game that isn't discussed... hotkeys too? xD

Just kiddin'
    But yeah, I agree it is an important thing and quite frankly not implementing an option like keyboard configuration wouldn't be wise. But worry not, I don't think they would suddenly start removing any important gaming features since they said so many times they're expanding our options (whatever they mean by that), not the other way around
    My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Akagi_Ryu/
    Ruined:FYI on the bug fixing front a Steam patch can be applied in a matter of hours, most of which involve making coffee, chatting about the latest season of Survivor and pressing the upload button.

Fortress-monastery of the Grey Knights located on Titan, Orbiting Saturn
    Well i never had to change any shortcuts to better enjoy or compete in DOW1 but i suppose for some ppl, like yourself and other more competitive players, being able to customize shortcuts is a must. So i'm all for Relic implementing customizable shortcuts in DOW2. I just don't think it should be a top priority.
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

I only use shift for build queues, I've just always played RTS with the mouse, just it. It seems weird using the keyboard. I suppose hotkeys for airstrikes or orbital support would work.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

Sword Munkeh in Spaaaace Sword_Monkey's Avatar
    Keyboards are meant to complement the mouse.

Arrow keys allow for faster map navigation, instead of shoving the mouse to the far corners of the screen.

Shift allows for queuing of builds.

Ctrl + *number* , allows for hotkeying of groups. You can have different groups of units grouped together and available at the touch of a button. Two clicks of a button and you'll centre over them.

Full stop gets you builders, comma gets you idle military. Ctrl + 'r' gets you unresearched upgrades. F1 through 5 (?) gets you stances,

In short the keyboard is your friend. But the point is, for those who use these features, can you customise them? People will only use so many keys, and the keys will be spread out. Being able to scatter them around the arrow keys, or numpad, is great. You can tweak the ones you sue most, and make sure they are handy. Or you can just suck it up and learn to use your entire keyboard. I've never had any trouble picking them up and using them, never felt the need to alter where they are. But I can see why people would want to.

I'm not sure it's on top of Relic's to do list, but they have done it before, and I'm sure if they give it any thought they'll realise this simple feature is something that can make a good control system even better. Everyone loves personalisation after all.

In short the keyboard is your friend. But the point is, for those who use these features, can you customise them? People will only use so many keys, and the keys will be spread out. Being able to scatter them around the arrow keys, or numpad, is great. You can tweak the ones you sue most, and make sure they are handy. Or you can just suck it up and learn to use your entire keyboard. I've never had any trouble picking them up and using them, never felt the need to alter where they are. But I can see why people would want to.

I'm not sure it's on top of Relic's to do list, but they have done it before, and I'm sure if they give it any thought they'll realise this simple feature is something that can make a good control system even better. Everyone loves personalisation after all.
    Correct mate. I hope Relic will do us that favor .

Thread Information