Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winterdyne's Dark Angels Clearout

Winterdyne's Dark Angels Clearout

I do like Dark Angels. It's the green. I was painting these guys up to stick on ebay, but I reckon I'll probably end up keeping them or putting a large initial price on. Anyway, this thread will be the repository of 'completed' shots for each figure in the army.

The plan is to have a small, game legal army painted as well as I can on a scenic display base. Each figure will be individual and the overal quality is to be as good as I can make it - so lots of critique and opinions are requested!

The sergeant has been seen before, but this is the latest tweaked version - I've changed the sword to black - I was aiming for an obsidian effect, but it's not really worked as well as it could have - hints and tips for this would be appreciated!

Azrael's helmet bearer is the test for the robe colour. I think it's come out ok. I'll be including all the classic Dark Angel characters - Azrael, Ezekiel, Asmodai and Bethor.

2. Tabletop Senior Member  #2
    Bunny Hugging Archaeologist Hammerguard's Avatar
    Personally i really like them, would love to see an army of them.

Maybe redo the sword with boltgun, chainmail, mithril and then a couple of light coats of black?

Not my idea, but I can't remember whose it was originally. Sorry.

That's basically what I had before, I'd like to avoid metallics on the sword blade.

In the middle of a giant donut, eating my way out! yum!
    Bethor? Whos that? Does he have a mini? But what about Belial or Sammael?
    STV-1138: Sir Clausel wins a internet!
    Targaryen: Sir Clausel wins another internet!
    Winterdyne: Sir Clausel wins yet another internet!
    Relic Yearbook 2008

I believe Bethor was a named standard bearer... or at least I remember the Dark Angels banner bearer model being named Brother Bethor...
    that sergeant's fantastic!
    really liking the robes on the helmet bearer, very effective
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal..."Relic yearbook

Brother Bethor is the old special character "Bearer of the Sacred Standard". He first appeared in the Angels of Death codex, but was written off once the sacred standards were available to company standard bearers etc. There is a mini for him, you'd probably find him on eBay.
    -Fitz

Yes, effectively he's just a robed standard bearer. It's a really nice mini. :-)

Ahh.. Oh just saw a mini story about him in the newest da dex. Was that really enough for a special character?

Some CMON-format photos... bit clearer. You'll note I settled on very fine grey highlights on black for the sword:

Just as I'm finishing off this sergeant's tactical squad (all painted to the same standard) I go for a bite to eat and my 3 year old has a go at figure painting. On the one model in the squad that was done-done. :-( I'll finish the squad while the sergeant has a cellulose thinner bath, watch this space for version two. :-)

Winterdyne: thats why people shouldnt have kids.

12. Tabletop Senior Member  #12
    Bunny Hugging Archaeologist Hammerguard's Avatar
    Winterdyne,

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I think the helmet bearer's robes aren't up to what I've seen of your work.

Not saying I'm an expert but here's an Empire Warrior Priest I'm working on, still got highlights etc. to do, But I think the helmet bearers robes need to be 'cleaner'.

Sorry if this is coming across badly, it isn't meant that way.

No worries mate. The robe was a test piece, and I'm not overly happy with it. Looks a little better in the flesh, but I think I'll over paint it (Foundation paints kick ass). I'm trying out a wet pallette for blends so I should be able to get some nice smooth transitions.

The sergeant above fell victim to my 4 year old son who 'helped me paint my soldiers'. A quick bath in cellulose thinners and a repaint later...

Anywho, the clearout is going ahead: here's the first combat squad done:

Oh, if anyone has a few of the old metal DA veterans I'd love to buy a few so I can do a game-legal command squad...

Edit: Gubbins has sold me some vets, so there's gonna be a game legal (4th Ed. Codex DA) command squad. Woo!
    Last edited by Winterdyne; 13th Nov 08 at 4:26 AM.

The second combat team - Taking a break halfway thru the next tactical squad. Will probably finish it late tonight (about 8 hrs painting time).

And a shot of the whole squad:

Grave Dancer
    dude, that's frikkin rad can't remember ever seeing those 2nd ed models look so good

You absolutely have to repose / reposition them - out of box poses are erm, limited on these. You get real good at hand swaps, too. See how many you can spot.

Quick post of the first few steps I go through - more steps later, I've had some distractions...

First a black undercoat. The base is drybrushed with raw umber, and the metallic joints etc of the armour with boltgun metal, no need to worry too much about neatness:

Next, the eyes are picked out - no need to worry about being neat. Scab red, with a vallejo flat red caustic and skull white dot:

Then the armour panels are neatly painted with DA green and a highlight line (no blending yet) with snot green. The next step will be to blend this in using a 50-50 mid tone.

Doing the whole squad gets a bit boring, looking forward to taking a break and painting the command squad before the devastators. Then rhinos and a dread. Whee! Oh, the plasma cannon's now mostly green with a red cowling on the end. Didn't like the metallic.

Step - 4 the blending done - this is a glaze technique, coupled with touching up by applying either DA green or snot green to tidy up.

Finished - Gold done in vallejo bronze/ old gold, simple drybrush on the bolter and freehand insignia:
    Last edited by Winterdyne; 22nd Nov 08 at 3:36 AM.

Hurrah, my metal DA dreadnought and second rhino arrived today. Need to get a 60mm base for the dready and find a cheaper black primer. GW at £7.50 is now a bit steep. :-|

wow, its only around $10 USD over this side of the pond... so less then for you, that is odd...

Yeah, its a pity. I really do rate the citadel primers, very good adhesion. Should finish the second tactical squad tonight - it's looking very good for the december deadline for the army for ebay:

HQ: Azrael & helmet bearer, Ezekiel, Asmodai, 4 veterans w/ bolters and Bethor.
    Tactical Squad 1: 9x Bolter, Vet sgt. w/ bolter & power sword, Rhino
    Tactical Squad 2: 7x Bolter, Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, Vet sgt. w/ bionics, chainsword & bolt pistol, Rhino
    Devastator Squad: 2x Heavy Bolter, 2x Plasma Cannon, 5x Bolter, Vet sgt. w/ power weapon & bolt pistol
    Dreadnought: Twin linked lascannon, Missile Launcher, Smoke Launcher

Could you tell us how you painted the cloth?

I've actually redone the helmet bearer. Looks the same colour wise, but was easier going as I used premixed colours. It's also a little smoother looking. I'll do a step by step like the above when I do the command squad and characters. Should assemble and base them tomorrow, and paint them over the weekend.

Black undercoat.
    Khemri brown basecoat - citadel foundation paints kick ass.
    Highlight with kommando khaki (thin coats to build up colour gradually)
    Highlight with bleached bone (thin coats to build up colour gradually)

Awesome, thanks for the tutorial!

Asdrubael Vect
    a simple and quick (though by no means anywhere as good) alternative is:
    black undercoat,
    drybrush DA green,
    lightish drybrush Snot Green
    thraka green wash (washes ftw)
    looks good at distance and takes no time at all

Finished the second tac squad, and took some more consistent photos. Also updated the mini walkthrough with a single shot of the marine.

Squad 2, fireteam 1:

Squad 2, fireteam 2:

Squad 2, group shot:

Both tactical squads together:

Well, I seem to have bought a whole bunch of stuff to paint and sell (or just sell), so critique on the paintwork would be greatly appreciated. Got some servitors (gonna get some direct-order techmarines to go with em) and some special characters like Dante and Lysander...

Society's Secret Super Soldier SocietySoldier's Avatar
    i really like the metallics that you have going on
    and your free hand words are clean and very precise looking
    i don't really see any flaws in the painting at all, it's all top notch!

cavorting among Grandfather Nurgle's entrails
    posting from work

Aye, it's a nice clean paint job. In the nicest possible way, it's what I'd call a 'no frills' paint scheme - it looks businesslike and realistic, what you'd expect a disciplined combat unit to actually do with their armour rather than an over-the-top Fantasy Space Warrior of Doom look. If you see what I mean.
    Ever-growing Death Guard army: PANDEMIC

Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'

Nurgle 101 Tutorial

Excellent, that's sort of what I was going for. I'm going to go back over everything when the army's done before varnishing - just noticed that the holsters and pouches look a little flat.

Today I have mostly been hating the mark I Rhino assembly. I don't think I've ever done so much filing and sanding on a plastic kit. :-/

Today I finished the apothecary:

cavorting among Grandfather Nurgle's entrails
    posting from work

Nice white you have there; I can't really find much wrong with it, though I would suggest that maybe the elbow pads could do with a little more wear; the little trickle of discolouration you have running down from the bolts on his backpack looks good, and I reckon his elbows (and possibly knees too) could use just a little wear and tear to match that.
    Also possibly the 7 ventilation holes in the gold bit at the top of the backpack look a little bland, maybe add a little discolouration around them...?

Yeah, a few spot washes wouldn't go amiss. Was a bit dubious about the white - I wanted a cold white as opposed to the warm bone white of the robes for the rest of the command squad. The recipe was shadow grey base, white edge highlights, space wolf grey blending layer. Pretty quick and easy.

Ok... having done a little weathering as Svart suggested, I think I'm done now:

Asmodai done today.

Azrael done. The banner was scanned from Codex Angels of Death, and redrawn in paintshop pro to neaten it. I've also just redrawn the chapter banner. Any DA folks that need these drop me a PM - just print 'em on white paper at 600dpi and you're sorted.

The command staff so far:

I like the apothecary. Good work on the weathering. Also I really like Asmondai. How did you do the black? Also the Azrael is awsome! Love the cloaks on them. How did you do those ?

The black is exactly as per the walkthrough for the basic marine, but instead of DA green, chaos black was used to basecoat the plates (basically just tidying up the drybrush of boltgun). Then edges were done in shadow grey, and blended in with a 60-40 black / grey mix. Finally a glaze of badab black / chaos black (60-40) to tone it down a bit more, leaving the very edges.

The robes are dead easy - khemri brown base coat, highlight with kommando khaki then khaki / bleached bone then bleached bone, then bleached bone / white. Feather blend each stage. Finally use thin khaki to lighten the recesses and blend everything together. The same recipe is used for all the bone details. I'll probably apply a devlan mud wash to them to smooth it out a bit. It looks a little rougher in the flesh.

I've been working on the command squad some. Tidier robes, and a first attempt at gore. Probably going to add a bit more to the chainsword handguard:

And a champion which is basically a practice for some weathering techniques on the shield. Cookies to those that can identify the shield:

You'll note the feet and robes are muddied now. This is common through the whole army. Must get round to re-photoing the lot, especially now the devastators are finished too...

bad...ass..... Keep up the good work!

Quebec, Canada (I'm not French and I dont live in a Igloo)
    Its funny how little posts there are in this thread considering how amazing your work is.

The gore on that first vet is wonderful on its application to the chainsword and helmet, but it feels a bit lacking in the robe area.
    The robe doesnt seem to be "soaked" in blood, it looks like the vet chopped someone up, the blood went flying, the vet gets covered in it, then it dried instantaniously on his robe instead of soaking in the blood then drying.

If your trying to go for the more "fresh kill" sort of look, I would sudjest "deepening" the red to look like goblets of blood landed all over the robes.
    But if you are trying to make it look dried then I would assume the blood would be "dispersed" by the cloth and the would be no white bits of robe showing where the blood splattered, a lighter shade of red underlieing a deeper red for the "goblets" like you currently have the model should do the trick.

Besides that little nitpick your models are near-perfect.

"Follow me if I advance.
    Kill me if I retreat.
    Avenge me if I die." -Warmaster Solon

Top notch Dark Angel work goinig on here. I hope my monks looks remotely like yours when they are done!!

Very dark and gloomy like, excellent work.

The gore on that first vet is wonderful on its application to the chainsword and helmet, but it feels a bit lacking in the robe area.
    The robe doesnt seem to be "soaked" in blood, it looks like the vet chopped someone up, the blood went flying, the vet gets covered in it, then it dried instantaniously on his robe instead of soaking in the blood then drying.
    Yeah, though I'd need to add some more. What I'll do is wet the surface then add drops of thin scab red which should bleed out. That'll give the gradiented splotch effect whilst giving enough control over the whole effect.

I rephoto'd the squads today... Note the now-glowy plasma guns and the weathered feet.

Last edited by Winterdyne; 4th Jan 09 at 11:00 AM.

Some more new photos, mostly practice but some tweaks to models.

Is that drybrushing on the bolt pistols? And do you freehand the banners or are they premade ones? Excellent work overall. You should make a few how-to videos for me

The pistols are fast'n'dirty:
    Basecoat black.
    Heavy drybrush boltgun metal.
    Lighter drybrush vallejo natural steel (or mithril silver)
    Badab black / devlan mud washes.
    Paint gold with vallejo bronze. Pick out bolter shells with the same (sort of drybrush, but only one or two strokes). Very fine drybrush (use an old detail brush) to pick up the silver some with natural steel / silver again. Blob in black wash where required.

The banners are the ones from the 2nd edition codex, scanned and then 'traced' as line drawings on the PC. Then printed at 600dpi and painted in. I use the same technique for my own designs too - you'll see on the dreadnought thats coming.

The banners are the ones from the 2nd edition codex, scanned and then 'traced' as line drawings on the PC. Then printed at 600dpi and painted in. I use the same technique for my own designs too - you'll see on the dreadnought thats coming.
    now that deserves a tutorial - is there one lol i'll have to try it

Did some photo editting practice, trying to get an idea of what processes to apply to raw pics to get em looking nice.

Which of the styles below do you like, why, and would you prefer something different? Please be honest!

Style A:

Style B

Style C

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information