Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Winterdyne's Dark Angels Clearout

The banner's paper - I just printed the outline and then painted it in. :-)

WIP on the Rhinos...

Old school Rhino, seeing this sure brings back some memories. I was for ever breaking the hand rails on mine.
    Do I ever feel too old to play 40K?.......Nah.
    Growing old is inevitable.
    Growing up is optional
    Aessar - "Threads, unlike Necrons, aren't supposed to rise from their graves."

Yes, they are rather fragile! Given how hard they are to find (unbuilt) these days, it's hard to believe they were once 3 for £10...

3 for a £10, I'd love to get the newer ones for that price. You could kit out your whole SM company tactical squads for £20.

"Given how hard they are to find (unbuilt) these days"

I can imagine they are few and far between now days. I trawl through ebay on a daily basis hunting little gems to add to my collection and I must say that I've only seen one or two unbuilt old school rhinos.
    Last edited by Daaveed; 3rd Apr 09 at 7:46 AM.

Nice to see some of those good old Rhinos again.If you can call them exactly old, that is.These Rhinos were common all up until, I guess around ´03-´04.

What would be really cool, would be if you could field the good old Predator. And I´m not talking about the one before the one that is the newest now,and not the one before that one either, but in fact the very first Predator ever made.

And if you could field an old classic Land Raider as well...

More WIP rhino goodness. Just about ready to wash and weather now, which is why the metals look a little flat.

And an army shot (too big to embed) here..

These are looking very sharp and crisp Winterdyne, cant wait to see what their like once you have completed them. As for that army shot, damn they look pretty all assembled like that. I wish I could paint my army up to the quality you have shown in yours.

10/10.

Thanks, I was a bit concerned about the yellow and black stripes making the side look to busy, but I think it's turning out OK...

10. Tabletop Senior Member  #110
    Bunny Hugging Archaeologist Hammerguard's Avatar
    About bloody time there was an update on this, I've been waiting ages to see how those rhinos have progressed.

Absolutely fantastic.

Started the chipping passes on the rhinos... God this is boring:

Finally managed to finish off the chipping on the first Rhino. Should have a few hours
    this week to work on the second. Then the wash-work begins, before a final dirty down with drybrushed and airbrushed mud and grime... Not sure if I want to bother blending the highlights on the chips or not, tbh, I don't think they'll be that harsh after the filter (grime) coat...

That is a sweet pimpin' Rhino.
    » Initiate a tactical withdrawal! «

In the middle of a giant donut, eating my way out! yum!
    Thats a nice rhino! How have you done the chipping?
    STV-1138: Sir Clausel wins a internet!
    Targaryen: Sir Clausel wins another internet!
    Winterdyne: Sir Clausel wins yet another internet!
    Relic Yearbook 2008

Awesome work on this classic model.
    Secret Weapon Miniatures - bases, accessories and scenics

Check out my Video Tutorials

Glad you like it so far... The chips are really simple - vallejo hull red splotches, edged with snot green, filled with boltgun metal. No blending, just pure colours. On the heraldry patterned doors, the highlights are blended dark grey on black, light grey shade on white, and a khemri brown to khaki to bleached bone progression on the tan.

I really like the color and the cleanness, usually marines look weird with green cleanness, but you sure did a great job with it.

Thou I would suggest painting your scratches alittle more irregular and caved, as in alittle darker in the center and make it look more like crack marks than just raw scratch marks.

A lot of them will get darkened up with washes and the filter coats of grime will tie everything together (much like the feet on the dreadnought).

cavorting among Grandfather Nurgle's entrails
    posting from work

*thumbs-up icon*

That's looking really nice now, mate. Giving me further inspiration to get my own Rhinos done...
    Ever-growing Death Guard army: PANDEMIC

Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'

Nurgle 101 Tutorial

FINALLY!!! The ****ing chipping and weathering is done. Now the whole army gets checked over, before the varnishing. Should be done tonight!!! Then to photo up everything for evilbay! Huzzah!

Now taking commissions! PM me for information.
    Vote for my stuff on CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/winterdyne
    Check out my blog: http://winterdyne.blogspot.com/
    Follow on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/winterdynecommissionmodelling/

I'm really looking forward to the army image.

Your wish is my command. This is a large image (4 meg), so I'll link it rather than embed. Also, I've not bothered with setting up a background as I still have to varnish everything and I'm also probably going to add heraldic pennants to the Rhino antennae... and buy another lazy susan and spray it black for taking photos...

Click here for big picture!

Thats one dam fine looking army you have there Winterdyne. You have some old school miniatures in that force. Many I remember from when I first started out on warhammer 40k back when I was a sprog. I think the heraldic pennats would finish off the rhinos nicely.

Off topic: The Red Dwarf Stress Aid in the back ground is a nice touch. Gawd bless Arnold J Rimmer.

24. Tabletop Senior Member  #124
    Knight of the Order Dark Watcher's Avatar
    Winterdyne, any chance of a tutorial on that free-hand be-scrolled sword on the upper face of the rhino?

cavorting among Grandfather Nurgle's entrails
    Made of win; if we had a rep system here, I'd rep you for it.

And now I have the flat coat on, have tidied up the eyes, base rims and leather, I think I'm done. Decided to leave the pennants as they hang off the edge of the display base.

Click the image for the large picture:

Very, very cool. And you're putting this up on eBay?

Yeah... Will have a £299.99 starting bid. By most feedback I've had it should go for quite a bit more.

Fantastic looking army, superb work!

In the middle of a giant donut, eating my way out! yum!
    Best Dark angels army Ive seen!

'Tis listed on evilBay. I think linking is against forum rules though.

that army looks absolutely amazing!
    and I'd completely forgotten about the handrails on the Mk. I Rhinos, since the 5 I'm currently reworking for my Chaos lost theirs a very long time ago indeed!
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal..."Relic yearbook

Hey everyone! Also, sorry for bringing such an old thread back!
    Then the armour panels are neatly painted with DA green and a highlight line (no blending yet) with snot green. The next step will be to blend this in using a 50-50 mid tone.
    tep - 4 the blending done - this is a glaze technique, coupled with touching up by applying either DA green or snot green to tidy up.
    I found this thread from a google search, but im struggling with the blending steps. I have a base of caliban green, edge highlights with snot (warpstone) green, but what do I do for the blending? Sorry guys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information