Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Survival - The Art Of Defence v1.3

1. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #1

Survival - The Art Of Defence v1.3

SURVIVAL MOD - THE ART OF DEFENCE
    For Soulstorm
    By Argonaut

Are you looking for a new style of gameplay to enhance your Dawn of War experience? Do you prefer holding out against hordes of onrushing orks, massing your defenses to throw back the tide of enemies storming your lines?
    Would you like some new win conditions and bonus features on the maps?
    Do you need the combat to be epic and exhilarating, holding out alongside your comrades?
    Would you like to be able to calibrate the difficulty so you have more control over just how easy or hard the enemy are?

This mod is for you.

It has been designed to fill the need for defensive maps in Dawn of War and adjusts the playing style to encourage players to stand shoulder to shoulder, holding the line against a seemingly impossible number of enemies. Each player faces ten waves of enemy assaults gradually increasing in amount and difficulty until the player receives orders to assault the enemy base and destroy your foes.
    It is designed as 1 or 2 players VS an enemy AI, don't worry, each player faces their own set of waves (spawned through SCAR) so weaker players will not face overpowering units too early, while more able players will face harder enemies sooner. Once you destroy all of the units that compromise a wave, a new one is spawned and ordered to attack your lines.
    You can select any race to play as, and any race as your opponents and they will use all of the units at their disposal, including honour guard and single player units to assault your lines. Have no fear! The players receive their own bonuses to bolster their meagre defences.
    The win conditions have been extensively reworked to aid the players in their defensive efforts. Please take time to read through each of the win conditions descriptions to see the full extent of the changes.

So, If you want to form your favourite race into a defensive position alongside your comrades as you hold out against an immense wAAAAGGHH! Then download and install.

Hold the Line! To the Last Man and the Last Round!

Summary of features

• Defensive play style designed to allow players to defend a chokepoint/fortress/ravine.
    • 2 players vs 1 AI multiplayer online compatibility supported.
    • Wargear instant upgrades available for every race.
    • Players receive the character from the SS campaign as their ‘commander’ rather than the usual command unit.
    • Attacking waves altered and calibrated to support all difficulty levels and the attackers will massively increase in number at QS level. Quick start is no-longer a noobs game as it presents the same level of difficulty as the standard game, only with a different gameplay style.
    • Body count and current level displayed in-game.
    • A swathe of new maps to defend including some historical recreations – Defend the Iron Cage against the Imperial Fists or play as the Crimson Fists defending Rynn’s city from the orks.
    • Improved win conditions.
    o Take and hold: Reinforcements. If you activate this, whenever you hold a critical location you will receive reinforcements for free. The reinforcements you receive are based upon your current tech level.
    o Assassinate. When you activate this you will be given an enemy leader as a target to kill. When you kill these targets the enemy suffers massive morale and Health damage. Killing enemy leaders will force a more powerful leader to spawn after a short time period.
    o Heroic defence. This is not for the faint hearted. The enemy will assault your lines with everything they have, examples are tau manta strikes, teleporting monoliths, space marines storming your lines with rhinos and unloading next to your base and chaos warp rifts opening up to spew forth the minions of evil – this is all in addition to the usual attacks!

This mod has been thoroughly tested and functions as intended, however it is supplied “as is” and as such I will take no responsibility for and loss or damage you may suffer as a result of installing this mod.

All of the SCAR code contained within this mod is my own work, and as such ..it is mine! I appreciate it would not have been possible to create without Relic first putting the code in place, but the concept and actual code is mine, so please do not duplicate it, replicate it or host it in any media, either digital or otherwise without written permission from me.
    Having said that, if you wish to host this mod anywhere, please ask! I am very likely to say yes as I didn’t make this mod for it to sit on a select few computers!

DOWNLOAD HERE Version 1.3[/SIZE]

Coming soon….
    The Defence of Armageddon
    The Imperial Palace Siege

Watch this space.

Argonaut
    (Martin Snape)

Last edited by Argonaut; 8th Dec 08 at 4:11 PM.
    "Dad, I don't want to get married when I grow up."
    "Why not son?"
    "well... I think I'd rather run my own life."
    O.o
    "Thanks for that son."
    -My son age 6.

now THIS looks fun =P

IG and tau are the best for this game boys

note: Don't attack and destroy the enemy base with something like basilisks or hell talons (with DS of cours) because that just ruins the game

Awesome! Great job Argo - is this finally the end of the Survival maps?

4. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #4
    My time is truly limited now, so I'll probably finish the Imperial Palace siege map and potter around making some maps but unless there's truly game breaking bug I'm going to leave things as they are. If there's a lot of interest I'll do balance/bug fixes but on the whole I simply do not have the time to get stuck in like I used to. I'm hoping someone will take the baton and run with it (Armageddon? Defence of Ultramar? Tarsis Ultra?) The maps just need making.....

I've half done one, although I don't know if it will ever get finish

Great you got those final bugs fixed I tried a few more games, btw, on the old one and it looked pretty sound apart from the things people reported before.

Good job on releasing it! If it ever needs some bug fixes I might be able to delve into hotfix territory.
    Finaldeath

Current DOW information on modding + FAQ - A good read for new and old modders alike!
    RDN Wiki Temp Location - Help, tutorials, Mod Tools info.

7. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #7
    Congrats on the accomplishment! I've been lurking on the old thread. I wish I had SS so I could play this mod.

Superb Argonaut! I'm eager to try this out ASAP . Maybe I've missed it but let's say I play alone... can I select an AI buddy and fight with it against the enemy AI?

9. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #9
    You can select AI as an ally and they'll hold their own against the attack waves - just remember when you select the difficulty you're selecting the ability of your allies as well as your enemies

french

-----------------------------------------------------------

Argonaut impressive bravo.

• Body count and current level displayed in-game.
    I was not entirely understood this. It only indicates information? Or it can also be a condition Win?

If so what frequency has been updated? it can be used in real time? (this can helped make improvements U.I).

I ask permission in advance has used your work if they agree to my own development.
    Last edited by ombrephenix; 7th Oct 08 at 3:42 PM.

Could you fix the commanders so they don't completely suck beyond belief? They are completely useless and it disgusts me. They don't scale at all and get none of their upgrades. Either give them their campaign wargear or put in the regular commanders.

Other than that, great mod, lots of fun to be had.

Um, Latias, you need to get your commander to the wargear marker on the map for upgrades - which the amount goes up as the waves increase in power. Usually this is to split your commander (who gets really powerful) off from the main defensive line at least for a bit to get the upgrades. CPU's kinda suffer from it, but there we go.

Ah ok, I didn't read the images in the first post because of the silly font, so I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know ^^.

Argonaut; apart from the installer bug (ie; it putting all the files in a /SurvialMod folder, which I think you know about from the download page saying you'll fix the installer) the Sisters of Battle got me an error randomly:

Apart from that, neat work. Some polish on the map names (some are misnamed "2 players" or whatnot for 1 player maps for instance) and map icons/minimaps it looks pretty good for v1.0

Still didn't get all my quick requested things, but nevermind

i have a strange problem when i play Sm.

once you reach t3 and start using the las upgrades for praedators, they simply dont fire anymore. Same goes for the Land raider. This however makes it somewhat well hard to fight the enemy vehicles ....

Any idea whats about to happen here?

2x
    Sometimes, a majority means that all fools are on the same side.

I've come across a bug again in the soulstorm version which I experienced in the dark crusade version. Once I reach around the 15 minute mark and the second or third reinforcement arrives i get a 'Fatal Scar Error - Execution Paused' and it's usually bang on time with the arrival of the third or so reinforcement.

In both game's I was using the Necrons if thats any help.

EDIT: I just tested it again and, like the previous game, it crashed at EXACTLY 15:10
    Last edited by HeavensNight; 10th Oct 08 at 9:31 PM.

Argo - in the vehicle_attack.scar in the win conditions you've got tomb_spyder rather than tomb_spyder_squad, which is causing this error.

Depending on how high quality new maps need to be I can give you a test of the one I'm working on.

Asypra
    I think a similar problem might be happening to Finaldeath, with the SoB crashing - sisters_squd_lightning instead of sisters_squad_lightning seems to have been the problem.

Scar crash

Playing SM & IG versus Orks ...

*ALERT: Invalid parameter 1 (type=unknown) in function Rule_AddOneShot
    Lua SoulStorm_Survival_Generic.scar Ln 2429 (Rule_LevelSeven_PlayerTwo)
    Could not execute rule: Rule_LevelSeven_PlayerTwo
    Line 2429 in SoulStorm_Survival_Generic.scar is part of the Rule_LevelSeven_PlayerTwo() function:
    Rule_AddOneShot(Rule_LevelSeven_PlayerTwo_Orks,1)
    Can't see any difference from the Player One version of the code, or the rest of the function or other level versions, so I don't know what is wrong.

Simon

20. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #20
    keep posting the errors please guys, I'll fix them and patch soon

Map: Orky Fort, SM vs DE.
    Player One is at level - complete.

I'm getting the message about "Advance and crush the enemy" and then getting this fatal SCAR error:

SCAR -- *ALERT: SigmaPlayer* cannot be nil!
    Lua SoulStorm_Survival_Generic.scar Ln 2592 (Rule_CPUAlly_Advance)
    SCAR -- Could not execute rule: Rule_CPUAlly_Advance

HeliosDenton

Map: Snowbank

Necron reinforcement bug is still there

Trying to find my jaw after it dropped off when i saw Galorn2's and Svartmetall's Plague Marines. And recuperating from a bolter round which Ap0k shot me with.
    Just a request, but could you make a map, really simple, with just a really cramped corridor? I'd like that

Would be a lot of fun, for me, at least, and maybe someone else.

Unless you've only got SS, then why not make one with the DC tools?

More Scar ...

The bug posted by HeliosDenton is fixed by editing line 366 of strategicobjective.scar to read "necron_heavy_destroyer_squad_bonus" instead of "necron_heavy_destroy_squad_bonus".

I've also found (and fixed?) a bug in Vehicle_Attacks.scar (I think):

*ALERT: Duplicate rule Rule_Check_Player_Number_Honour added. This is not allowed.
    Lua DATA:Scar/WinConditions/Vehicle_Attacks.scar Ln 8 (Rule_OpeningDelay_Hero)
    FATAL Scar Error! - Execution has been paused. Error calling init function 9 : Rule_OpeningDelay_Hero.
    The duplication seems to refer to the presence of "Rule_Check_Player_Number_Honour" in both Vehicle_Attacks.scar and in Honour_Guard.scar. Since it seems to make more sense for this Rule to be in the scar file relating to Honour Guard, I commented out the line in the opening function "Rule_OpeningDelay_Hero()" that called it in Vehicle_Attacks.scar as well as the Rule itself (line 250 or so). After doing this I no longer got the fatal scar error about at the start of the map.

However, I've now come across this fatal error:
    *ALERT: SGroup with name sg_level4_P2_RT does not exist
    Lua Command.scar Ln 172 (Cmd_AttackGroundPos)
    Lua SMAttacks.scar Ln 418 (Rule_LevelFour_PlayerTwo_SM)
    Could not execute rule: Rule_LevelFour_PlayerTwo_SM
    It appears to have something to do with the creation of a Whirlwind unit and subsequent referencing of it (there is similar coding in later parts of SMAttacks.scar) but it looks there is too much to fiddle with given my extreme lack of Lua knowledge!

Simon

HeliosDenton
    Thanks SimonFitz, and which file should I edit?

Plus:

When player 2 play as Orks, he always got a 'Evy Nob Squad instead of Looted Tank as reinforcement.

I am only able to 5 wargear pieces from the hammer. Is there any way to get all ten pieces.

Darkslavelord
    is there happen to be something like this for daw of war dc

29. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #29
    Hello, I'm still here after many days of silence...

I've fixed everything identified in this thread, Thanks guys!

Ira Aduro has also generously conveted his map Dead of Winter to a survival format and that will be released s part of the patch comnig very soon Thanks for the support.

Sounds good, I'll be testing it more and playing some of the stranger race combinations (although most would have been picked up now I hope!).

Verruna
    This mod isn't broken since the patch is it? can't seem to get it to work, but i remember it working before

how easy would it be to get hordes of daemons attacking?

and would it be okay to implement this with the VoC mod?

im fine with having it as seperate download if its okay to be used but would need some way of bridging the gap that way.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=205585
    Tutorials_And_Helpful_Sites_Here <-link
    Want a 3d model commissioned? I may do so. Pm me!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dow40k2-woa Join up for updates and view other members.

Quote Originally Posted by Verruna
    This mod isn't broken since the patch is it? can't seem to get it to work, but i remember it working before
    Can someone confirm if the mod works with 1.2? Thanks
    In the grim darkness of the far future there are only bugs

34. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #34

Survival Mode Working in V1.2.120 Dawn of War

It would be pretty simple to get additional races attacking, but I'm not too sure about the mod compatibility. Little changes I've done could make things awkward, such as getting the commanders and wargear to work. However, Mod compatibility is not my thing so someone will probably breeze along and get it working no problems.

To get the Demons Attacking you'd need to add a file to the scar folder called DemonAttacks.scar which details all of the attack waves for the demons.

Then adjust the main Survival_Generic.scar to recognise when the enemy race is the demons and trigger DemonsAttacking.scar

To play AS the chaos/demons there's just a little bit of code that searches for the enemy base, and I'd just need to add the Demonic Buildings to the search table.

All in All, if any mod compatibility issues were ironed out, I reckon it would take 2-3 hours to code the new stuff.

[edit] having had a little tinker with things, it may be easier for me to create a smaller version that becomes a Plugin for mods. I could do the code without my own additions such as wargear and things. There's other stuff would need editing, and could present some issues( Like the win conditions would all need race specific things doing)

I'll look at the best way of implementing things for other mods.
    Last edited by Argonaut; 14th Nov 08 at 1:46 AM.

if the chaos gods have spoken that i should create a daemonic commander with wargear options then i'll create one

for the inter-race compatiblity issue, wouldnt something similar to the Skirmish Ai race loader idea work?

Honestly, in my opinion wargear should be absent.

This mod is not about individual heroes, but the strive of survival of a collective community. :P

Beside I don't see how wargear could really turn the tide of a battle. If it can, it's totally imba, if it won't there is no use for it.

My 2 cents.
    "Because humans deserve to be maximally-owned thus requiring copious amounts of DEATH in their diets."
    -Thudmeizer master artificial brain-maker (damn I agree with this man)

i find its more of an incentive to go out of your base a bit more since you'll be kept in it. thats not a bad thing. (well unless your dumb and dont defend )

Well that's what the special mission should make you do, like back in DC1.2. Go out and kill off the enemy leader/random buildings etc.

I'd like to have at least the option to turn off wargear.

Actually, that's a good point - if you have a chance at improving the mod, adding in a "Kill Attackers Buildings" would be nice - some outwards base, which obviously would have the AI defenders (from the normal base) plus whatever else you add there defending it. That was relatively fun (although easy for the Imperial Guard to bomb), and additional bonus pop cap or resources is easy to have as a reward, or maybe make it so the waves increase in lethality (or new ones added from the win condition) from that base until it is down.

40. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #40
    I've moved the code for the Wargear and the forced enemy researches into the Win Conditions, and added the modified 'destroy HQ' win condition you've just described. The bare bones code now would be able to be inserted into a mod folder (minus all of the win conditions) and probably inserted straight into DC (although I haven't tried yet)

The Wargear isn't "Totally Imba", but does give the player a definitive edge against the earlier waves. Anyhow, it's a win condition now so you can add or remove it at your leisure.

Finally... I'm probably going to have to put together a tutorial for people to be able to drag-and-drop the bare bones code into their favourite mod, and probably something for mod leaders to be able to put their own attack waves together. I'll make time to do this as it is something that would keep the ball rolling without me needing to devote lots of hours to it.

Still in the dusty corners of my mind as 'things I really want to do' is the banter from the Stronghold missions. I think it would really add something to the game - especially if I can tailor it so the enemy general really take the piss when you're getting wtfpwnd.

41. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #41
    Finally... I'm probably going to have to put together a tutorial for people to be able to drag-and-drop the bare bones code into their favourite mod, and probably something for mod leaders to be able to put their own attack waves together. I'll make time to do this as it is something that would keep the ball rolling without me needing to devote lots of hours to it.
    That would be very much appreciated as I dearly want to play this mod with Firestorm.

Maybe I should get in scar coding too.

Somehow survival and assault maps always got the best out of me. Making a fortress themed map wouldn't be all that bad.

On to scar and map making tutorials. Maybe I'll actually leave something here in 5 or 6 months. XD

I've still have the half-finished "sorting" of audio files for that taunting for Soulstorm, but it's a lot of work. If you get it done, nice job

Um...hey, I decided to try giving your mod a download. Err...under the game manager the mod doesn't show up. Does this mod really work for the lastest version of SS? If so, how does one get it to run?

I can't compliment on your mod if I can't play it.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

45. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #45
    I'm going to upload a new version today (Monday) and I've checked it definitely works with the new SS version, and the installer works properly. I removed the entire mod from my comp and then run the installer just to check. Can anyone apart from me confirm they are using the mod in 1.2 SS?

It appears that as a bonus for moving things to win conditions, this should now be backwards compatible, meaning the new version *should* be able to be played in any of the expansions. When I've finalised the 'bare bones' version it should be possible to drop that version into DC or WA and play. I'll check thoroughly to make sure first though

Sure Can. Pugman12 and I had a SWEET couple of games a few days back using this mod under SS1.2. Thanks for the fun btw. I seriously owe you something Awesome!
    MODS FOR THE MOD GOD! MAPS FOR THE MAP ROOM!

So...under the game manager, the Survival mod shows up for you? Then something is not right.

Looking forward to that new version.
    ~TheHolyDarkness Out~

have you got SurvivalMaps.module in your Dawn of War - Soulstorm folder?

I think if you perform a custom installation, or have DoW in a different language, the installer installs to the wrong directory..

Argonaut, I used v1.0 in game version 1.2, like you did. Works fine. Where's this mysterious new version then?

@argonaut
    Is there a mirror for the latest file somewhere else? Filefront is acting iffy on my end of the world.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information