Page 1 of 58 123456789101151 ... LastLast

[OF/ToV] ZombieMod - A New Chapter Unfolds

People's Modding Commissariat burtondrummerNY's Avatar

[OF/ToV] ZombieMod - A New Chapter Unfolds

Welcome to the Apocalypse

What is ZombieMod?

ZombieMod takes you from the beaches of Normandy to the cold nights of the zombie apocalypse. However, unlike normal zombie games, you have to lead your survivors to survive. Play as the weary survivors, struggling to make it one more day. Fortunately, you can get help from other groups of survivors, the army, or the police. Learn how to camouflage your troops to hide from the undead, or use superior firepower to decimate the zombies. But why just play as survivors, when you can also play as the zombies? Lead the undead against the desperate survivors.

What do I need to do to play ZombieMod?

ZombieMod isn't complete yet. We have released a fun little "beta" for fans to enjoy. This is the Christmas Beta, which can be found in our downloads section. It comes with an installer, so just point to your Company of Heroes directory and tell it to install. It's that simple.

So who is responsible for ZombieMod?

Well, before us, there were 2 attempts at making a ZombieMod.

Right now, on our team, we have:
    - Myself: Leader, Coder, Skinning
    - Sirpsychoj: SCAR coding, Mapping
    - Uccido: Modelling, Coding
    - Aidas2: Models
    - DemoSS: Skins, Models

What are the features of ZM?

Well, for a start, it's in the modern day United States. Instead of fighting Germans, you fight zombies. And you're a civilian. Otherwise, you have:

- New doctrines
    - Tons of new units and abilities
    - Possible Singleplayer Campaign
    - New resource systems
    - New game modes
    - Much more!

Why should I play ZombieMod?

Well, we can't make you play ZM, but I'm assuming if you're still reading this, you might be interested. ZombieMod is still a work in progress, so our latest beta doesn't reflect what the final mod will look like. However, we can promise you that when this mod is all complete, you will enjoy it...a lot.

When will the next beta come out?

Unfortunately, none of us on the team are professionals. We don't understand the ethos of keeping things secret until release. That is why so much information, and a few betas, have already been released. So, we decided, that we are going to stick to normal game development and not release any more public betas until we reach the final stages of development. This doesn't mean we won't update the Christmas beta however.

What can I do to help?

There's a few ways I can think of...

1) Provide us with your ideas, feedback, or bug reports
    2) Participate in betas (when we reach that stage)
    3) Tell your friends, contacts, family, whomever, about ZM

Where can you get latest updates?

We currently are involved on 4 sites. You can see our stuff on:

RelicNews (YOU ARE HERE )
    ModDB
    CoH-HQ (Deutsch)

Please, check us out when you get a chance.

Will this mod be translated to my native language?

Well, I can only speak English, German, and French. After that, I can't translate it. That's why I need your help. If you want the mod to be in your language, help us by translating it with us. Otherwise, our translations will either be wrong or nonsensical.

Thank you, and I look forwards to seeing you on the battlefield!

Latest Update: February Update: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...post1045434420
    Last edited by burtondrummerNY; 19th Jun 13 at 7:56 PM.

3rd time lucky maybe

My only want apart from the mod is that you dont have zombies with guns, and if you do have zombies with guns tell me how to delete them so its only basic attack zombies :P

Since there shouldnt be many vehicles the only vehicles you should get should be powerful, jeeps should be good at charging in, firing a burst and knocking down a few zeds and then retreating to heavier infantry.
    Maybe the only different types of zombies you should have are strong slow zombies and weak fast zombies, or just have only one unit which is the slow stereo-typical zombie, but it might be boring for the player if he chooses to play as them...

Still, Id rather play as survivors/Army instead lol

As for Zombie resources, maybe zombies shouldnt have much need for munitions or fuel, but gain manpower very quickly and use it for pretty much all of their units and buildings, and maybe some abilities...

Anyway, best of luck with the mod, I hope it really is 3rd time lucky

Well, IIRC, if you don't give an unit a weapon, it'll just run/ crouch (with his hands on his knees) you could use that system. (and maybe use an ability to attack, I don't know, I'm pretty rusty atm with modding) Btw, is this a L4D like setting (with SCAR maps) or is it massive army's battling each other?
    "Not a day goes by, that I don't think of the men I served with, who never got to enjoy the world without war." Major Richard Dick Winters.

Well, I dont know if the zombies will be scripted or not, I think that it will play like your typical skirmish, you build squads and capture territory while the zombie player (or survivor if you do play as zombies) does the same, its all fun and games into your first riflemen squad runs smack into a horde

maybe there should be a lot of cheap infantry units, backed up by heavy units such as rangers or 'Cleanup Squads?', maybe a very expensive infantry unit consisting of flamethrowers, light machine guns and of course BARS, infact, the weakest soldier in the cleanup squad should have a BAR atleast.

I'm thinking that I give the zombies guns, but they are invisible and need to be less than a foot away from the enemy to shoot, making it seem like melee.

Also, I think I will scrap the WW2 setting and just go straight to the survivors if thats okay with everyone.

As for gameplay, maybe adding a new game type where the survivors build defenses and then the horde attacks, and if you survive to a certain time you are rescued.

I dont get it , why no vehicles ? For balance ? WHAT BALANCE ! ? ! There zombies hordes XD
    Proud member of :
    Normandy 44 : European Theater
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=233474
    As Technical Advisor AKA : Crazy professor XD

Who said there would be no vehicles?

I just think its more fun without them...

Plus it isnt exactly fair if a zombie horde comes up against a platoon of Shermans >.>

Well, even though I dont mind the so overused survivor aspect, how are you going to ditch the world war 2 setting? The game is world war 2 based so how are you going to ditch it? Unless you mean by renaming units to survivors or whatever.

Even though you could have scripted 'hold out for X amount of time' games, I would like to have a simple skirmish similar to what zombie assault had, like I said earlier it makes a nice change to play as a prepared (well, sort of) army instead of a tiny group of hapless survivors :S

Plus it isnt exactly fair if a zombie horde comes up against a platoon of Shermans >.>
    lol that wouldn't be fair...maybe there should be a zombie panther? lol

Look up "return of the dead", even though they are smart zombies, they drive a jeep in one part

Well, even though I dont mind the so overused survivor aspect, how are you going to ditch the world war 2 setting? The game is world war 2 based so how are you going to ditch it? Unless you mean by renaming units to survivors or whatever.
    Well, rename the squads "Survivors", change the skins to look like civilians, get rid of all signs of war (i.e. dead panthers and shermans), and make all of the maps night time.

Even though you could have scripted 'hold out for X amount of time' games, I would like to have a simple skirmish similar to what zombie assault had, like I said earlier it makes a nice change to play as a prepared (well, sort of) army instead of a tiny group of hapless survivors :S
    Well what I mean is after X seconds or minutes, you have the zombies begin to attack, so you have time to build up your army, defenses, and even do some recon/supply gathering. Then the zombies start to walk towards you. After 4x minutes, the horde comes.

Of course, regular skirmish would be available.

Have the survivors be what remains of the US Army, its more cool that way

Plus the soundclips will make sense, it wouldnt make sense if a group of survivors said 'Yes Sir?!'

Ill love the mod either way, so just do what you feel is right

Well it is possible to edit sound files...

OK time for units

Survivors:

- Builders - these ex-carpenters, electricians, and other workers specialize in labor and defense construction, but they are not experienced with weapons, making them vulnerable to swarms of zombies.

- Survivors - Normal people who have little to no experience with weapons, and can't build too well.

- Hunters - Experienced at killing living beings, hunters have skills with traps, weapons, and other outdoor skills. They can camouflage, but their heavy equipment limits mobility.

- SWAT - SWAT teams are great at combat and stealth. They camouflage easily and don't suffer from speed penalties when camouflaged.

- Jeep

- Truck - good for transport, and can run over zombies

Special units:

- Military Police - the remnants of the army are here to help. They are experienced with weapons, can build defenses, and can outsmart zombies.

- Clean-Up team (hazmat) - specializing in Anti-chemical and biohazards, clean up teams are useful to kill zombies in many special ways. They can set up chemical defenses and traps, heal other people, and can be equipped with advanced weapons.

Zombies:

- Slow, dumb zombies
    - Fast, dumb zombies
    - Slow, smart zombies
    - Fast, smart zombies (you are fucked)

Special units:

- Demons - disguised as slow dumb zombies, these guys are bad...they can set traps, camouflage, and basically fuck with your mind.
    Last edited by burtondrummerNY; 7th Dec 08 at 3:30 PM.

some of the units sound more like modern stuff. is this ww2 era or modern times?
    For the Greater Good!!

I'm thinking of doing both, but right now its modern
    kinda typical zombie thing u know?
    lol

Sounds very good, Swat Teams have to be like Stormtroopers with Mp44s and badass accents

Maybe you could chuck in police officers? just make a unit of 4 or 5 with pistols, very good at capturing points and can construct things like barbed wire (to represent police blockades), but obviously not very good with killing, since they only have pistols.

Just thinking since if you have the SWAT teams you gotta have police officers to complete the set

yeah it was one or the other, but now that i think bout it, y not both!

lol

Will survivors be cheap, easy to reinforce (maybe can reinforce from neutral buildings? Dont know if thats possible) and good at capturing or something? Because at the moment there is little about them that makes them seem worth building lol, or you could just replace them with Police Officers, and edit buildiers so they are now the survivors, with the same build and labour qualities.

thats a pretty good point. it would make mroe sense to have the builders/survivors as one piece then have the police officers be the cheap guys. have u thoguht about including an actual squad of soldiers instead of just MPs. like maybe a national guard squad. idk just thinkin. oh i just had an idea, what about instead of survivors being a unit, u make them a resource? like the strategic points could be a building instead of just a flag, and it could look all reinforced and when you take it it gives you more people to use and to arm, and when the zombies take it means they broke through and infected the people inside.

The zombies should only die from headshots, and flame throwers should only kill them after some time, and during that time they should have higher attack what with begin on fire and all. Rifles are actually the best weapon against zombies, along with the shotgun for CC. Automatic weapons would just waste ammo and have worse aim than a rifle, which translates into smaller killing power.

Well, the survivors are like volksgrenadiers. Although they have little experience with guns, they can still shoot. And they are fast, and can capture strategic points quickly, plus some of them have shotguns. Their best feature is the ability to start fires, cuz everyone knows that zombies are afraid of light and fire.

Yes, that would be a great idea, making the buildings strategic points, but I don't know if its possible.

All of the units would still be squads, like in Vanilla CoH.

For the survivors, they are cheap, easy to reinforce, and very versatile/durable

zombies don't feel fear... or anger.... or anything else. They only live to hunt the living.

But they hate fire...look it up or watch "Night of the Living Dead"

Night of the Living dead is the worst zombie movie ever. It portrays zombies in a completely stupid way. Read a Max Brooks book to get a reasonable, practical portayal of a zombie. I mean really.

but Night of the Living Dead was the first...w/e

this is sounding pretty cool, i hope it makes it to the finish line

Well you do your MOD anyway you like, I just suggest you make zombies the way Max Brooks says it. I have no problem with you doing your mod in any other way.

lol thank you!

@ Deacon, I am definately going to finish this one, unless something goes horribly wrong with my computer and I lose all of the files.

To be honest zombie weren't afraid of fire but attracted to it.
    "Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely"
    General Dwight Eisenhower - 6th June 1944

Okay then...lol well, I want them to not like fire, so I will keep it in, if no one objects.

for the sake of playablilty, sure, make them afraid of fire.

Well, if you don't like it I can get rid of it...I just thought that that would make it a little more fair for the survivors...

i like the idea, though dauntless does have a point. fire would attract more zombies which is the last thing you'd want.

Yeah, I thought things like gun shots, car alarms going off and fire would attract more zombies lol

But its your mod Burton do it how you want

Maybe Builders SHOULD be merged with survivors so they count as very strong builders? Like very powerful builders that have superb build qualities but can also defend themselves, then you could replace survivors with Police Officers as the 'Cheap Effective capping squad'

That way it makes builders more valuable because being survivors they can also in a pinch help out... and if they can only build on your home sector or point they can still be treated like survivors who go attack and cap things.. just a thought.

Or, you could have builders, survivors and police officers as all 3 separate units, lol.

Well, my only thought was that the builders would be like engineers, who suck at fighting but can build pretty well. The survivors would be like riflemen, because they can fight better and build, but their defenses arent as good.

But if you want me to merge them...

Nazi zombies would be cool even if you do steal it from cod5, you should read the zombie survival guide/world war z its an awsome book.

Well, survivors just seem to be quite useless at the moment, they arent very good with attack power and cant build well either, constructors can be good builders and poor fighters while police officers can be good cappers, average builders (blockades and wire ect) and not very good fighters.

A unit of 4 police officers should be able to take down a small zombie squad though.

Just try out whatever works, you could release or test the mod yourself and then tell us what works and what doesnt

yeah nifts got the right idea. play around with a few ideas and see which ends up working better.

corp.fernandez
    You could take some things from left4dead like give the zombies a hulk or some thing that would be fun as hell to get make it so its like the tiger tank 1 at a time or make some thing else demon seems kinda cool but what would his special abilitys be to turn a group of people into zombies or make peoples heads explode.
    Also will zombies get extra mp for killing survivors since they are kinda making more zombies when they kill.
    Last but not least you should make c4 very popular or mines because I like to see zombies explode.

i think tht the only thing i dntlike so far, is the demon it seems really outta place.

39. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #39
    Perhaps you change the use of barbed wire, instead of it stopping zombies (would currently be used as a hasitlly constructed barrier), it'll only just slow them down terribly while their passing through it, after all, zombies can't feel the pain of the barbs tearing through their flesh, so it'll only really work as an entanglement.

or you could have them build the PEs barricade. Also I complete agree with red devil about the "zombie survival guide" and "world war z" books, I think they they are a must read for zombie modders. If this is going to have its own maps with lots of urban environments you could make it so the living have no base building but get all their units from forward HQs, maybe add some scripting for with every new fHQ there is a chance of get new survivors. Anyway thats just my two cents for your mod

May you be touched by his noodle

'i think tht the only thing i dntlike so far, is the demon it seems really outta place.'

I think the Zombies need some sort of superunit, but these 'demons' should maybe be a squad of 5 which are fast and have tough armour, they should get a good amount of abilities but should be hardcapped at 3 or 4.

---------------------------------------------------------

Zombies getting manpower for killing the enemy.. is that possible? Its clever and interesting, because it represents the horde getting bigger, if you play it safe and try and keep your men alive you will find less zombies (although still swarm-worthy), but if you chuck your men into the horde Imperial Guard style then the zombies should gain crap loads of manpower from the amount of slaughtered enemy.

That way, it forces the player to look after his units, if he suddenly loses his gorgeous army, the zombies are going to suddenly be a massive horde that might just finish you off.

----------------------------------------

@Pvt.Bob

The panzer elite barricade only stops vehicles I thought, infantry can use it for heavy cover but they can also walk in between each individual roadblock, so it wouldnt be very good for stopping zombies.

Barbed wire should not stop zombies, but at the very least it SHOULD slow them right down, so the best place to make a stand is putting a machine gun facing some barbed wire... as the zombies slowly move through it they get cut down.

Sorry, I know Im being a bit headstrong, Im just really into the mod, so you dont have to listen to anything im saying :P

Woah, I've been gone 1 day, and already about 5 or 6 responses!
    lol

Well, I admit that survivors may seem useless, but think about this. If they are cheap, quick to make, and can reinforce anywhere, don't you think that they would be worth it. I mean, in zombie movies, you don't see many other units, and the survivors are plenty.

@ corp.fernandez - I would make a tank or a boomer, but the modeling tools are almost impossible to use. The only way the people are going to look like people is through good skinning, and model mixing (rangers can become hunters...knights cross holders = police officers, etc)

the survivors shouldn't be good, well, because they're so easy to spam. I mean, they have no knowledge of zombies, heck I don't think they even know to shoot the head. They prolly think fires scare them away and automatic weapons are the best against them.

Well, what should I do then. You can't get rid of survivors in a zombie mod!

Id i still vouch for replacing manpower with "survivors" just call the resource a different name, and see if u can in fact put a building over a strategic point. u could use that mod that captures points by whose in the teritory not by whose at the point. know what i mean?

Oh so you mean have the manpower changed to survivors? So a squad of 6 requires 6 survivors?

yeah thats what i was thinking. and maybe the more important squads could cost more than there normal manpower would be, because its less probable to find people with their expretise among the survivors you have "saved"
    so a five man swat team instead of costing 5 would cost like 8 or 10

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Well, I worked on the survivors a little bit, but I have a question.

I obviously don't want to put all of the units spawnable in the HQ, but I don't know if base building is a good idea. Should I make it so that you have to upgrade a building to be your barracks?

Yeah, that's an excellent idea. It'll be realistic, and awesome at the same time!

yeah. but you should be able to choose what kind of building. you know barracks, supply yard, or advance barraks. i wonder is there some way to code it so that only the builder unit is able to upgrade a building like that?

Page 1 of 58 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread Information