Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Games fo Windows LIVE in Russia

WWWladimir

Games fo Windows LIVE in Russia

Dear Relic's Developers...

I write you from one big country in europe... Russia.
    I will tell to you a small secret...
    GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE NOT SUPPORT IN TERRITORY THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION!!!

Please answer me you can fix it? Because I very much wish to buy Dawn of War II and play in your game on the Internet. And my 140 millions friends too.

From Russia With Love.

yeah, its really interesting situation, cuz many of our 40k forums trying to find solution 4 this trouble. and at this moment as u may think we found nothing, exept changing country in profile.

one of 140 millions friends of wwladimir

There is a very simple solution to this actually: Just register under a fictional address in one of the supported countries. Games for Windows LIVE does not work by IP.

It's mind-boggingly stupid but the best you will be able to do.

Vojevoda
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    There is a very simple solution to this actually: Just register under a fictional address in one of the supported countries. Games for Windows LIVE does not work by IP.

It's mind-boggingly stupid but the best you will be able to do.
    Except that they can ban you for using false information.
    But there is more to that.
    Publisher can't put CD-KEY in to the box due to the fact that no Windows Live servers are officially working in Russia (or Ukraine in my case).
    So basically license here is worthless. No different from pirate version.

But there is still time and I hope THQ notice this and be able to make arrangements with Microsoft to solve this problem. Otherwise - you'll loose A LOT of customers.

Is the CD key not printed on the box?

Either that or import a game to get a valid EU copy with a key...

6. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #6
    I love the dildo cannon Hirmetrium's Avatar
    I believe its the same in turkey.
    You just have to hope that microsoft can do their best to work it out, and use alternate methods like hamachi to connect...

Its a real bummer, and you'd think GFWL would be able to cover it, but no...
    You should check out DoltsDay 2014, an epic adventure!

You can still play singleplayer, but not MP.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

Vojevoda
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocktio
    I'll not pay my money for a "half" a game.
    And in terms of DoW, SP is about 10% actualy.

Just register under another country. It's free, so don't worry about being banned (I doubt they'd bother to punish you for doing the only thing you can to play the game).

You'd have to buy MS points in cards though for microtransactions (assuming they have any for DOW2).

Vojevoda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirmetrium
    I believe its the same in turkey.
    You just have to hope that microsoft can do their best to work it out, and use alternate methods like hamachi to connect...

Its a real bummer, and you'd think GFWL would be able to cover it, but no...
    There is prety much nothing to work out. They just need to permit users from cirtain regions (Russia, Ukraine etc.) to use their service, that's it. We payed money for their windows and we payed money for a game. We did our part of a bargain, they refuse on theirs.

WWWladimir
    THQ will return to me 2/3 price, because I cannot play MP? No? Why?
    This bad solution
    because...
    First. It's lie. U like lie? Relic, THQ and Microsoft too? Realy? Not for me.
    Second. How about my friends? As i know "Who is who" if my friends will be registered in Mexico or New Zealand? You all like a play with friends from your country! So.. Then why you suggest me to be registered in other country?

12. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #12
    I'll not pay my money for a "half" a game.
    And in terms of DoW, SP is about 10% actualy.
    Ok now your just talking out your ass. The Single player experience in DOW2 is at least as important, if not more so than it was in the original. If your going to ignore it, have fun with half a product anyway.

The reason that microsoft do not offer it is because every teritory has its own policies in regards to how online services work. Because of the way Windows choose to operate, online services are as such restricted. I am no lawyer, but I believe thats how it works.

Sword Munkeh in Spaaaace Sword_Monkey's Avatar
    Basically it's the policies of your country that are restricting your access, Microsoft are unable to offer the same service because of government policy on this type of thing.

And registering to GFWL by country is of no significance when it comes to picking which server you want to play on online. People registered for GFWL in Mexico can choose European servers when they are in the game. And people may prefer playing with people from their country but they don't check via GFWL, they just ask in game if you can speak English.

I'm watching this thread closely for any potentially illegal subterfuge, whilst overlooking the simple idea of giving misinformation when registering a GFWL account since it's not a legal requirement that you enter it correctly (I think and hope). But if I see anybody trying to solve this problem through less than legal ways they can expect a potential ban (yes ban) from the forum.

I also doubt suitable solution will arise and can only advise the Russian and other affected members to try and find a forum from their country of origin that deals with this problem. Most people on this forum do not have this problem, so it may be better looking within your own country for people in the same position as you, they are more likely to have good solutions.

Hirm I've never even touched the SP of CoH as an example and after finishing DC once I just played online with friends. Some people don't want to play alone, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but cooperative "singleplayer" will be part of the "MP-experience" iirc, which is a good idea imo, but that's something he won't be able to enjoy either.

I always thought that GfWL was a bad service for DoW2 (or for any other game) and that's just one of those annoying letdowns...
    "Ammon, your wrath is indeed fearful, but Scoia... he devours your soul." - Meatkin

23:01 - Officer MORE SEXY: well you can never see enough mangina I suppose :P
    23:01 - Officer Sexy: That's true, it's something you need to experience more than once to fully appreciate

WWWladimir
    The reason that microsoft do not offer it is because every teritory has its own policies in regards to how online services work. Because of the way Windows choose to operate, online services are as such restricted. I am no lawyer, but I believe thats how it works.
    I do not speak about Microsoft, I speak about Relic's Developer, because they have chosen GFWL! Why they have not made on-line as at CoH? Why?

Because Microsoft gave them probably a lot of money to use it, since they need some games to use it that are worth buying^_-

The official explanation is that it is the best service available for DoW2

bjbrains
    They stopped using Relic Online because of its NAT negotiation issues, the dropped games problem, and the server capacity issues, most (if not all) of which GFWL should be able to solve. There's also the weak position of Quazal, the owner of Relic Online.

18. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #18
    There is talk that EA is planning to buy out Quazal, who host the RelicOnline servers, which would lead to there being no online server for COH and DoW2. Thus, Relic have chosen the lesser of two evils.

Ea need to leave shit alone damn, seriously relic online is working fantastic compare to what i seen ea done for their past games. Sigh
    No qaurter back men, only forward or we will hold this line forever!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Row Row Row Fight the Powha

Vojevoda
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword_Monkey
    Basically it's the policies of your country that are restricting your access, Microsoft are unable to offer the same service because of government policy on this type of thing.
    It has nothing to do with goverment. It's microsoft policy.
    "No GfWL servers in your country - you don't exist for us as a customer. But still, give us your money."

bjbrains
    Was an unsubstantiated attack on Microsoft really called for? The reason that they wouldn't give access to Russia is either because they haven't gotten servers up in Russia yet or because of Russian law.

Sword Munkeh in Spaaaace Sword_Monkey's Avatar
    Microsoft would not do that Vojevoda, they would lose money if they chose to not provide such a service to some countries. It IS purely the fault of the country not allowing them to have servers there or because of other absurd legal issues. Microsoft are an organisation based on profit, they would have the service there if they could.

GFWL was chosen because it will offer the best service to the most people. If this means excluding some then it is not a purposeful attack on those excluded. You have to see that more people would be unable to play the game online with the old system, and it is difficult enough as it is now to get games going on Gamespy with DoW, and there are still NAT problems with CoH too, despite being on Relic's server.

If there was a perfect system to use Relic would use it.

@Vojevoda: Sorry man, but hating on a giant corporation this time is wrong. Sword Monkey and a few others are right; no responsible business would purposely leave out giant populations of people, as that's a lot of money they're losing out.

As stated before, the governmental laws prevent MS from setting up GWFL over there. I'm sorry to say but this kind of crap happens, and it sure as heck sucks.

As for Relic choosing GFWL...exactly what Sword Monkey said. It is unfortunate but GWFL was chosen because it provided the most benefits out of other options. Relic did not purposely choose it to exclude countries; rather, it was to INCLUDE as many as possible (Since MS is so huge and international and all).

Both Relic Online and Gamespy have major problems and everyone wants a move to a better system.

Sword_Monkey its the same in Poland and its not goverment fault.
    Most ppl using xbox live register under Uk or USA but when in comes to GfWL MS is providing registration numbers for games he publish. There are problems with some third part titles like Fallout 3 that in Poland is without Live support.

best to order from a different country, and pretend your in a different country.

Hopefully that would work.

Sad that people have to resort to this.

Ah yes. "You are a too small market for us to bother" routine. Country/law has nothing to do with it.

On another note: 99% of the games in Russia are pirated, sold for 1/3 of the price in small stores next to groceries and such. It's a crazy world for a gamer there.

Microsoft would not do that Vojevoda, they would lose money if they chose to not provide such a service to some countries. It IS purely the fault of the country not allowing them to have servers there or because of other absurd legal issues. Microsoft are an organisation based on profit, they would have the service there if they could.
    Sometimes is beyond that, sometimes there is not a developed market for it. For example, countries in South America.

WWWladimir
    On another note: 99% of the games in Russia are pirated, sold for 1/3 of the price in small stores next to groceries and such. It's a crazy world for a gamer there.
    Really? But why GfWL is in such countries as Hong Kong, Korea, Japan?
    And where a u take this information?

Oakwarrior
    99% is too much, but yeah, it's around that number actually. It's called statistics Wladimir. And if anything is keeping you out of GfWL, then it's your own country. IMO.
    Estonia isn't there either but I registered as Finland. They'll never tell the difference

What is the purpose of this thread? That life is unfair? In amazon uk you pay like 25 pounds (around 28 euro) wheras in germany I pay around 50 euros, that is unfair too and this is how economy works ...
    Microsoft is of course interessted into making profit, if russia is not worth the investment you cannot blame them, it is not their duty to provide you with this service, also I think its a legal issue of russia that microsoft cannot provide you this service.

I'm sure the purpose of this thread is to discuss the point the OP made quite clearly. Folks have been bitching about not having their right shade of pink in their bonus content in other threads. I'm sure this is just as important.

As for Russia being an unimportant market, I'm from Australia and we have no problem with a population 1/10th that of his country. I'm sure I'd be angry too.
    -- "I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did" -- Gen. George S. Patton

From wiki:

The Games for Windows LIVE online game client does not enable users from unsupported countries to join the LIVE service. Therefore these users experience disabled game functionality. However, this can easily be overcome by simply selecting a supported region for online play.

Really? But why GfWL is in such countries as Hong Kong, Korea, Japan?
    Hong Kong isn't a country, and China isn't supported... and neither of those places (i'm assuming south korea) have such an obvious piracy problem (see sale numbers, which is more relevant then piracy)... although it prob more likely that they just haven't gotten to expanding there... what i don't get is why the restriction, plenty of other stuff doesn't require you having servers in your country...

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos
    In amazon uk you pay like 25 pounds (around 28 euro) wheras in germany I pay around 50 euros, that is unfair too and this is how economy works ...
    2 months ago 25 pounds where 50 euros... but it hose procces stay i have to see who i know in england....
    "The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn’t even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude." - Ulthan the Perverse

Ok, so more then 2 months... who can keep track of the economy when there's all these games that need playing... (still, game prices in euros have ben BS ever since it overtook the $, as it still is basically the same number with the euro sign behind it, but that's compared to the US, not Britain)

EDIT: And amazon.co.uk delivers in Germany...
    Last edited by @li3n; 25th Dec 08 at 3:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk
    I'm sure the purpose of this thread is to discuss the point the OP made quite clearly. Folks have been bitching about not having their right shade of pink in their bonus content in other threads. I'm sure this is just as important.

As for Russia being an unimportant market, I'm from Australia and we have no problem with a population 1/10th that of his country. I'm sure I'd be angry too.
    Best post so far.
    Come on people I want to know more on this issue. Post some facts (with links) please.

BTW, how can you expect people in Russia not to pirate games when you don't offer them online services?

meh, they're prob not willing to put in the effort to make it a better market...

BTW, how can you expect people in Russia not to pirate games when you don't offer them online services?
    I would say it would promote piracy instead as it is pretty much screwing people out of their money for not providing a whole product.

If the online service can't be had in russia, then why not cut the price of the game in russia? Only fair.

Its not THQs fault, THQ still has the development cost.

I agree, but it isn't right to charge someone full price for something and they can't get full use out of it.

40. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #40
    Let's see if we can get someone from Relic to comment on this...

I can imagine the response:
    -we are not responsible for distribution of this game outside (some area). Bug yer local distributor.
    - Games for Windows Live is provided by Microsoft, go bug them.

*sigh* Talking about it here won't change a thing.

When it asks for your country, enter something close by that is on the list of supported countries. It's what 360 gamers have been doing for quite awhile now.

Dart
    Don't forget that Games for Window Live and Xbox Live are the same thing.

Seeing as the majority of people in Russia play PC games and the Xbox is in the minority Microsoft aren't going to spend money setting up servers there and run them at a cost for a small minority. I'm guessing the same goes for other countries where there Xbox isnt selling well.

Games for windows live is the best decision ever, now my xbox 360 account gains points just by me playing dow ! Whoever made that decision is uber.

What Tranj said.

Dart
    I just hope Relic and THQ don't go down the route of making you pay for every little extra thing like maps, skins etc that Microsoft seem to love doing.

ARMYguy I suppose its a good thing if your a console gamer, but im a PC gamer. I find that microsoft points thing funny. Since when should playing games be about having the most games and the most points, I thought games where to have fun not have silly points.

Achievements in themselves aren't bad, Iv always played games on the hardest difficulty that's an achievement I guess, CoH had those medals for doing difficult things. But some of the achievements I have seen from recent PC games that have started to use Achievements too are just like ticking things of a list, there not hard to get. Its just another way to extend the life of a game.

46. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #46
    Dart - I'll think you'll find Microsoft are in Relic's pocket, not the other way around.

That's one of my hopes evil Cyberman

GfWL has not a "must have" game at the moment besides GTA IV which was a huge let down for most of the PC community (I really don't wanna know how many times the game was returned and downloaded after the patch got released). So I think DoW2 will be the first big game that's going to use GfWL and therefore Microsoft will do whatever is possible to ensure that it's going to be a success.

But that doesn't mean that I don't think that GfWL is a huge mistake

as long as the network is close to battle.net's performance. Sigh anything is better than quazal at this point..

ARMYguy I suppose its a good thing if your a console gamer, but im a PC gamer. I find that microsoft points thing funny. Since when should playing games be about having the most games and the most points, I thought games where to have fun not have silly points.
    Its just for the fun of it. If the point system was so worthless it wouldnt have had a huge part of why xbox live > PSN and why now PSN is trying to copy the achievement system, and failing myserably.

For the record i am not a consol gamer, i am a gamer which means i have everything and play everything, because a good game is a good game reguardless of what platform it is on. Fanboys are fail, whether they are pc fanboys or consol ones. i just enjoy everything equally. GFWL is just cool because it adds to something i already had, and it doesnt take away from people who dont have xbox live either. GFWL allows me to talk to my huge amount of friends on xbox live, my friends on MSN messenger, and my pc friends all at the same time in the same program and they can all see what game i am playing, which is a form of advertisement which will get more people to play DOW2 because i know 99 percent of people i know have no clue what Relic is or any of their games. Pure awesome for everyone.

you sure it's not just because the ps3 has a big sales problem because it's more expensive?! (GfWL did fail on the PC when it charged money for all but basic services).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information