Relic/Mecha: Maya tools

starfleet

Relic/Mecha: Maya tools

Mecha/Any one else at Relic:

Was just wondering if there is any word (even a we can't give a word) on if the Maya Tools will be redeveloped to work in Maya 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0 any time soon.

-Thanks.

Motte
    Hi,

Relic only has licenses for Maya3.0, so no the tools aren't being redeveloped for Maya's latest versions.

But... the source code of the Maya3.0 plug-ins will be released in the next version of the HW2 RDN.

That release should be soon.
    Regards

starfleet
    Okies thanks Motte, least we know there is a chance some one when the next RDN is out can do a 5.0 source or the like.

Thank you for the response.

-Rob.

Skeeter
    Cool another 30 megs of tools and stuff to get

Hope the tools can be used or whatever is released.

CnlPepper
    Ah, excellent news! Now this the the sort of support we like

CnlPepper - Happy...

Excellent news indeed - thanks folks.

i guess you can't tell us what we can expect in the next version of the RDN tools can you

joelsama
    Okay, I'm glad someone started this thread. I have a few questions about what we can expect from RDN in this next release (if anyone knows).

First, what is up with the "Levels" of access on the Relic Developer's Network?

And this "Source Code" of the Maya 3.0 plugins - can it be compiled against new versions of Maya to produce plugins that work? If so, do we know what language they are to be compiled in?

This could be really great (if we make it work) - functional Maya plugins!

Of course, this is bad news in a way. you see, if we ever get functional plugins, that will put all those on these boards with god-like abilities to make little programs out of a job (at least partially).

Too bad...

Actually the source for the plugins will make our tool writing a lot easier as we will know for sure what goes where.

10. Child's Play Donor  #10
    Guilty. Of being in space! Captain Pierce's Avatar
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    First off, functional tools for more versions of Maya will A) require the heck of a lot of work for somebody to recompile for newer versions (and, I would guess, exactly that same amount of work for EACH version that this fictional person would wish to make the tools work with, based on some talk prior to the RDN tools' release about how A|W likes to change their scripting language for each new version of Maya) and B) not put the Tool Godz out of work in any way. Functional Maya tools only help people who actually own Maya. Given that even the "cheap" version of Maya is $2000 US, that's going to be a fairly small group. Everybody else is still going to be more interested in modder-made toolz...

Secondly, the level system was originally designed like this:

• Level 1: Everybody who registers for RDN and DL's the tools
    • Level 2: Gets a direct pipeline to the guys at Relic for serious Q&A
    • Level 3: So good that Relic wants to release your mod as a commercial game, a la "Counter-Strike"

Now, I will repeat that this was the ORIGINAL idea, back when RDN was first conceived for "Impossible Creatures." There has been no official word that I'm aware of as to whether this level system will apply to HW2 modding.

Finally, it's just great to hear that there will be more HW2 tools released...

Yeah, uh, anyways. Much luff to relic. (BTW peper, lookat some of the tools already done like pip's hod ed, and even the Milshape plugins. It shouldnt take them to long ot convert already working tools up)

Atmospheric Entry Elephant The5thElephant's Avatar
    Good to hear that Relic! Luff!

starfleet
    Motte if you get around to actually looking in here again, any hints at what else we might be able to look forward to with the next RDN release?

Motte
    Hi,

Hopefully with the release of the source of homeworld2 maya plug-ins someone will be able to compile them easily to maya 5.0. From what I've seen, MS and Max plugins are already in the works/working. I'm sure that release will not hurt that tool-set and might even help improve it.

As we do not have a version of Maya5.0 SDK. I cannot tell how much work will be involved in compiling the tools for that version.

Quick heads up:
    You will need a version of visual .net (Not Visual 6)
    If you have .net 2003, I'm sure converting the projects will not be difficult.

You will also need a version of the boost library. Available at www.boost.org

Along with the second release we should be providing some missing documents and scripts that didn't make their way in the first release.

pipakin
    WOOHOO!!!

-Philip "Is Happy" Kin

Skeeter
    Any lightwave plugins relic? for 7.5 at least?

starfleet
    LW 7.5 is not likely to be done at all because relic doesn't hold a license to it as far as we know. BUT, with the info that will be coming for maya 3.0 should make pip's life easier which will make him hopefully getting my much wanted LW exporter out, and Given that the LW API /SDK was made so that it works with multipul versions (Lightwave has 2 scripting langauges, 1 universal from lw 3.0 - 7.5 the other for lw 6.5 - 7.5 ) hopefully we can get it done.. and many people who use lw can use it.

On that note, Motte again thank you for the time and the info, I'll not press for release date, because you've said you don't know and it's soon hehe that way you don't have to go 'this date' and get a bunch of upset people at you.

Again ty for the info, least we know what to expect though will those who HAVE the origianal Dev Kit need to do a Full Download again or are you guys gonna include an -update- version with just the stuff that's changed?

-Rob 'happy but tired and frustrated'.

lol pip you'll have your work cut out for you :P

Skeeter
    Yeah I wouldn't like to download it all again if its the same stuff. A small update would be cool.

Dawn Falcon
    I've had several offers from programs I know to recompile Maya plugin source code to v5. So yea, source code will let us make Maya 5 ones in any case

Thread Information