Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Homeworld 2 1.1 doesn't work on windows 7.

Elite-One

Homeworld 2 1.1 doesn't work on windows 7.

I've tried everything and I looked at the change log for the 1.1 patch and found nothing that would cause the game to stop working. It works if I leave it unpatched but I cannot play any mods.

Any help?

Windows 7, I believe, is stil in a beta-mode, so it is very unlikely that any games that are not certified to work on Wind7, will even work at all.

3. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #3
    Look up turning off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for the app.

That or the patch failed for some reason. Does it generate a hw2.log file when you run it?

4. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #4
    don't forget about compatibility modes

Elite-One
    Quote Originally Posted by Spey
    Windows 7, I believe, is stil in a beta-mode, so it is very unlikely that any games that are not certified to work on Wind7, will even work at all.
    I don't know, all games so far work for me,(even extremely old ones) I also tried running compatibility mode and nothing works.

I'll see about turning off DEP but I am not even sure it exists in 7.

betadan
    Whats weird is that when i installed the game on win7 and didn't update the game ran fine, but as soon as i updated to 1.1 it stopped working.

Fix

I found the problem, and the fix.

Apparently, during the patching, it does NOT update the .Big files in the /data directory. You have to copy the Homeworld 2 1.1 big files to your data directory from another source. I was able to do this because i had a fork in my TPOF development directory. I'm not sure why this is, but this should fix it if you have a backup. However, if you don't, i think you can install homeworld2 in ReactOS VM or Wine on a Linux distro, then patch it up to 1.1, then copy the files to your Win7 install.

Hope this helps

Essjaythegreat
    Hi Elite-One I have the very same problem I installed windows 7 on my new pc an was looking farword to playing Homeworld 2 on it, so I installed it and started the game up, without patching it first, an it worked fine, so I went on to patch the game to 1.1 an now for some reason it just wont start up at all! I was using Windows 7 64 bit OS, I thought that this might be my problem so I formated HD and installed Vista 64 bit, but I'm still having the same problem as before. I've had this game running on Vista 32 bit without any problems, so I'm think it must have something to do with 64 bit OS?

My pc specs below

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
    Asus M4A79 Deluxe
    8GB (4x 2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC2-8500 (1066)
    1x 750 GB Samsung HD753LJ Spinpoint F1
    1000W Coolermaster Real Power Modular M1000 PSU
    2GB Sapphire HD 4850 X2

SRI-Sajuuk you say that the big files have sometin to do with it, but I just cant find anyway to get to them

Any help would be great thx guys

Your going to need to install homeworld 2 onto a virtual machine or something. Try installing your old Vista 32-bit into a Virtual machine like VirtualBox (google is your friend). Then, patch to 1.1. Then just transfer these files to your main machine via a shared folder. (There is a guide on the VBOX site.) If you need anymore help, just PM me.

Essjaythegreat
    I fixed my problem DEP (Data Execution Prevention) was stoping the program from working or more like stopping my homeworld 2 exe from loading up the game, so I simply used a german exe and this fixed the problem.

NitroMikeo
    Hey, I have the same problem, didn't want to make a new post so ill just say it here.

It's more or less the same apart from I think I have a Homeworld 2 version thats already at v1.10. Might be wrong, but it's a game of the year edition (only bought it yesterday). Soon as I double click the icon, (depending on what compatibilty stuff I have changed) it either goes to black screen and CTD's. or just makes noise like it's loading it, then stops and the proccess dissapears.

I've been looking for ages for answers and can't find any. Reading this topic you guys seem to know what it's all about. I also read that Im supposed give you my HW2.log or something, but I don't know what that is. Nor do I know what DEP is.

Any help?
    Attached Files

NitroMikeo
    Thanks for replying

I tried what you said. But when I open it it comes up with this error

"The procedure entry point ?SaveAll@LuaConfig@@QAEX_N0@Z could not be located in the dynamic library LuaConfig.dll."

I have no idea what that means lol.

I can at least confirm that the game works fine on 32-bit Windows 7. I'm getting similar problems as you others on my other computer that I've just set up with Win7 x64. And since I'm dual booting with a Vista64 setup, the game is already installed and working perfectly on that computer. This proves that the problems we're having has nothing to do with corrupt files or similar. It is likely that DEP is our culprit though.

I'm gonna test it when I get home from work and see if disabling DEP does anything.
    Babylon 5: War Without End Official Site.

"I keep telling you people that it's only a build animation, NOT a hyperspace animation." - Me, about the Babylon 5 mod hyperspace build animation.

NitroMikeo
    Awesome, post your results and findings lol

15. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #15
    interesting fact: I had to reformat my xp partition a few weeks back which wiped out the registry entries for h2: was located on a separate partition, and I can play it fine on xp and win 7 x64 although that one whined about drivers at start up but I hadn't put in 185.55 at that time though

I haven't had the chance to test anything yet. My computer decided to screw me over and pretend half of my harddisks aren't connected, including the one I keep all my games on. The disk itself is fine, since it has reappeared when I turned the computer off and on again a few times while troubleshooting, but it disappeared again when I rebooted again. I may need a new MB.

I will report on the issue when I get my harddisks working again.

Managed to get my game harddisk back online. One of my other harddisks has become so defective that it was dragging it down with it. Turns out the game just started up without me doing anything special this time. So your problem definitely isn't DEP if you're running the game without a no-cd patch. DEP will prevent the english fixed exe from running, but the normal game will be left alone.

I'm thinking the problem I had was due to me using the windows 7 bundled nvidia drivers when I first tried the game. In the mean time, I've upgraded to the newest set from Nvidia, so that must be why it's working.
    Last edited by TON_Viper; 18th May 09 at 3:36 PM.

18. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #18
    if the hard drive thing persists right click on computer click manage and you will see an icon with a comp and a magnifying glass. click it and all hard drives should show up after scanning

Thanks, but it doesn't look like mine has that button. I'm using Windows 7, so maybe that's why.

In any case, it wouldn't have helped. That disk is 100% dead. It won't even show up via USB.

I ran into this same problem when playing on another of my computers. I had upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, so I hadn't thought about the driver issue. When I couldn't get the game to run, I had to look up my own advice in this thread before I remembered to check the driver and got it working.

bemljj
    thanx sooo much installed drivers and it workssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

bemljj
    oh and first i had to use the german no cd for it to work in windows 7 only than did it enter just to CTD after starting the game... but when i updated my drivers it worked!

vuluc88
    Well even when i updated drivers (and i've tried uninstall and re install them) nothing happen, I still cannot play homeworld. When I click nothing happen !
    Through this topic, I find out that using German exe can make it so can any one upload it for me or send it for me plzz ! I can't find it anywhere.

And beside, does homeworld 2 support onboard VGA? My Laptop that has Intel(R)965 cannot play the game even when I hadn't patch it, it's just go in, black monitor in 2 seconds then out. My desktop play just find though (Nvidia thing so no problem). Ofcourse both my desktop and laptop is using Win7 now.

Realy thx it work with german exe.

lqvinh
    Hi,

I'm having problems running Homeworld2 too. When I run the .exe file, there is a message pop up said that homeworld2.exe has stopped working.

I tried downloading and replacing my english exe with german exe you guys mentioned above and it didn't work.

I tried to turn off DEP for homeworld2.exe but there was a message pop up said that I can't turn off DEP for that application.

My NVIDIA graphic driver is the latest now, installed via windows update. (I'm using windows 7 by the way).

I see that I have tried every things but it's just not working. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

alexium
    Hello.
    I'm having trouble running homeworld 2 1.0 as well as 1.1 on my Win 7 beta 7229. When I run the game it shows blank black screen for about a second and then just quits.
    Hw2.log doesn't contain any error reports, but when I set compability with win98 the game crashes. Other comapability options change nothing.
    The most weird fact is that 3 days ago I played the game on 7229. I've reinstalled OS (from the same DVD) and now I can't play...
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. German .exe doesn't work neither.
    Last edited by alexium; 3rd Nov 09 at 1:40 PM.

27. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #27
    did you make sure you upgraded you gfx drivers?

lqvinh
    Is there anyone experienced the same problem as mine?

alexium
    did you make sure you upgraded you gfx drivers?
    Indeed.

lqvinh
    After 3 more days searching for solutions on google I finally found an effective solution:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/homeworld...-work-on-vista

I am now able to play Homeworld 2 on my computer.

Turned out it was DEP causing the problem all the time. Following the above solution will disable DEP when the computer boots.

I just got win 7 wanna lay hw2 mods but its fails me

Keep in mind im practically computer restarded so if anyone could do a step by step for me it would be helpful <3

I did read the other posts and failed to figure it out.

Weird screen

I can get mine to start up, but all the videos have this flickering in the background, as if you're looking at CRT monitor on a TV show (you know, where the you can actually see the screen refreshing itself)

FRAGaLOT

Stupid 32bit games

I've been having this problem with any games in reguards to it's UPDATE and PATCH files with Win7 64bit. They come up with some bogus error that it's not a vaild win32 app, or it's not compadible with a 64bit OS, or some other BS.

I don't understand why something as simple as a update/patch file that just moves, copies and replaces files isn't compatible, when the game it self with it's complex graphics and AI runs fine. Technically I could use a simple BATCH FILE to update these games.

What's bugging me now is I have installed HW2 but the game doesn't support my monitor's native resolution (1680x1050) so I selected whatever the highest one listed, and now the lower half of the game's UI isn't accessible which is where the OK, NEXT, CANCEL buttons are.

So since i couldn't use the in-game updater, I downloaded the 1.1 update file, hoping to fix my screen resolution problems. But i hit a brick wall because it's a little incompatible 32bit app that won't run on Win7 64bit. >ARG<

It's like nearly EVERY old game I have on CD has this problem. I spend thousands of dollars on all these games and now suddenly they don't work for some B.S. reason? ...and people wonder why Console gaming is so popular now. >sigh<

I might as well get a Mac and not play games, except flash web games like plants vs zomebies or whatever my mom plays when she's not playing solitaire.

kar1985
    i'm trying to play the ORIGINAL version (1.0) of homeworld 2 but i am unable to even begin to play it. i'm using windows 7. just bought it. all that happens is the screen goes black....then blue for a second then i'm back on the desktop. when i look in the "release" directory, there is an error log and a mini-dump. from sins of a solar empire. i know thats bad. i've tried running it under every compatibility and as admin. please for the love of god can someone help me.

I have to ask: Did you remember to update your drivers?

Also, it's a very good idea to install the patch. For one thing, you can't run mods without it. I have tested it, the patch has no problem running on windows 7 32- and 64-bit.

If you get a problem running the patch, there must be another reason for it.

36. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #36
    skip try changing the refresh rate using the command line.

Pharaoh
    I have an issue with Homeworld 2 but its not a graphical glitch.
    When ever I try to pan, rotate, zoom in and focus etc, Nothing happens. But then 2 seconds later, it jumps the camera as if it was the spot I moved to, all other movements are working fine, even if the game moves the camera for me (mission objectives) Its still normal.

My specs right now:
    NVIDIA Gforce GTS 250
    Windows 7
    4gb of ram,
    1.5Tb of HD,
    Quad core.

HW2 has been upgraded to 1.1 with the patch.
    Could My graphics card be too good for this game? Because ive had that alot in the past.

Can anyone help me with this bizzar bug?

Check your settings. See if vsync is turned on. If it isn't, then turn it on. There's a good chance it'll solve your problem.

Pharaoh
    That does it. Thank you.

kar1985
    i've downloaded the v1.1 patch but am unsure how to "install" it. help?

Well, it should just be an .exe file. Installing it is supposed to be as simple as clicking on the file and clicking next a few times.

aznsmith
    how did you all get this game to install?
    i'm running windows 7 64 bit and the setup keeps crashing.

btw, the setup crashes when copying the file "Homeworld2.big".

The last time I had a similar error, it turned out that I'd run out of disk space. The game in question didn't check for that and so, just terminated the install when space ran out.

aznsmith
    hm that's a bit strange because I have over 300 gb of remaining free space.

aznsmith
    i got it to install. i think my iso was corrupted. i found a disk i burned years ago and it worked.

ok so i have the CTD error where it starts and exits, and i have a lappy with a radeon mobility x600 and it has the latest drivers, the data thingie is off and i have it running admin and compatibility mode.

Homeworld2 1.0 works fine for me on both my tablet and my main cd (tablet is win732 pc is win7 64), if I update to 1.1 it works on neither computer.

Use the Windows NT Compatibility mode, then it should work on both machines.

Another problem

I mentioned this problem elsewhere on this forum, too, but i installed the game (version 1.0) on windows 7, then i try to start the game
    "wrong disc inserted"
    keeps appearing, no matter what i do, i even tried an .iso file, but neither works...
    if i'm right, it should go away if i remove the file that causes the cd check, but i don't even know sure if a file like that exist or whatsoever...

50. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #50
    you have a disc emulator installed Sierra used securom which hates even having a second physical optical drive. you have to contact securom directly to get a fixed exe or use a no cd crack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information