space marine into chaos???

space marine into chaos???

i just recently decided i want to convert my space marine army into chaos space marines... how should i do this??? im thinking of either doing iron warriors or the word Bearers
    bullets have the right of way

tau record
    win-0/tie-1/loss-1

Low quality spooptacular Open Blue's Avatar
    Easiest and cheapest way to do this is to paint red crosses on the armour of your marines and call them Red Corsairs.
    Next best thing is to go out and buy a box of Chaos Space Marines and shove the pointy and spiky bits onto them, making them truly chaos.

The most difficult way to go about this is to pull apart your marines and with the help of some Chaos sprews, go about giving them Chaos body parts/armour/weapons. You can say these marines have been recently converted.
    Take me down to furry con city, where the dogs are green and the lizards have titties.

Iwould get the chaos marine boxand use bits from that to spikey thm up.

You could probably get away with just painting stuff in IW colours, as they are a bitmore pragmatic than other legions.

arethey black reach mofdels, or multi part ones?
    Eldar in 5th Ed. A Tactica, by Xenith

"Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day. Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life" - Terry Pratchett

"That logic wouldn't apply to Space Marines because they are not hollow." - CFoley

cavorting among Grandfather Nurgle's entrails
    The AoBR models are nice enough as SMs, but because of the way they're posed and constructed they're very hard to convert in any meaningful way - re-posing, for example, would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want to do CSMs properly and what you currently have is AoBR SMs, I'd say you're better off biting the bullet and buying some CSMs, but if not it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to Chaos at all...
    Ever-growing Death Guard army: PANDEMIC

Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'

Nurgle 101 Tutorial

The AoBR models are nice enough as SMs, but because of the way they're posed and constructed they're very hard to convert in any meaningful way - re-posing, for example, would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want to do CSMs properly and what you currently have is AoBR SMs, I'd say you're better off biting the bullet and buying some CSMs, but if not it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to Chaos at all...
    They aren't really that hard to convert. I've succesfully turned few of te AOBR marines into assault marines. Most of the AOBR marines parts can be extracted - save the arms only few can really be saved.

Plus making normal marines look chaotic shouldn't be a problem at all. If you plan to do standard undivided marines, just get few spikes, or other sharp objects, or make them using plasticard - then attack it all to your marines ew. reposition some stuff and there you go chaos marines!

well i have plastic sets so if i wanted to convert a loyalist marine object to Traitor marine, i would just take an exacto and start to carve in nicks, dents, and bullet holes as well as removing any blatent loyalist chapter icons. if i could i would then take several chaos bitz then incoperate them into the models. and if i am feeling up to it, or if i had no chaos bitz, i would start carving off pikes and poles out of the plastic prongs and make custom chaos bits. it is your chapter after all... have fun with it.

of course, i like my models to look battle damaged.
    they have been around for a 1000 years in constant battle...

"Ahh, to walk upon the bloodstained ground."
    Heh I got free old space marines from my teacher (about over 100 lol).
    But I'm a Chaos guy, so I just painted either all or some parts black, added the 8 pointed start with red, and added some spikes.
    But I suck at painting, so the painting isn't that good, but I've convinced everyone that these space marines ARE chaos marines.
    As our bodies are armoured with Adamantium, our souls are protected with our loyalty. As our bolters are charged with death for the Emperor's enemies, our thoughts are charged with wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for are we not Space Marines? Are we not the chosen of the Emperor, his loyal servants unto death? - Chaplain Fergas Nils

Low quality spooptacular Open Blue's Avatar
    But I suck at painting, so the painting isn't that good, but I've convinced everyone that these space marines ARE chaos marines.
    It wasn't the painting was it?

alright I'll play odd man out. You don't need to do anything with them to make it chaosy. Look at the soul drinkers. Or the Alpha legion. They look like normal marines for the most part. Your marines could have been loyalist whom have only recently fallen, or have only become chaos because of an inquisitorial decision. Hallowed be the name of His Ordoes. Sometimes they make mistakes. I'd add some daemons into my team. Maybe make my librarian more sorcerery. But leave the bulk of my team the same. Remember the Ultra marines were taken by surprise when the Alpha legion put their armor on and charged their lines shouting "For the Emperor"
    "Innocence Proves Nothing"

thanks for the advice... i want them spiky and my friend is gonna give me some old chaos bits of his... ill just pop some heads off and replace them with chaos ones, and ill probly just add a shit load of spikes and scrape off the eagles to the best of my skill

Sprues and cocktail sticks are your friends.

Forcing a cocktail stick through shoulderpads from the inside (after making the initial small cross-shaped hole) gives a nice 'bursting' spike effect. And for cheap and easy spikey bits to add to marines, shave bits of sprue to whatever size or shape of spike you want and apply it to the figure. Then add an appropriate colour scheme and you're sorted.
    My homepage

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
    1. Never give out all the information.

"Ahh, to walk upon the bloodstained ground."
    SilverTabby: Gah I gotta do that! I always wanted a "bursting" effect but never accomplished it.
    Thanks for the tip!

It works better if you score a cross or star in the outside, then force the spike through from the inside and it will 'burst' in a convincing fashion.

cavorting among Grandfather Nurgle's entrails
    I actually score from the inside, but experiment and see which way works for you. Here's a pic of a shoulderpad done in this way:

I use a metal spike to punch the actual hole through; take your time and be careful, as spikes and hole-punching can so often lead to swearing and bleeding

Thread Information