Is it me or is the retreat logic all screwed up now

Is it me or is the retreat logic all screwed up now

I have noticed of late that retreating sqauds seem to not work as well as in the past, sometimes they stay suppressed and crawl along meaning they all get killed

Other times they refuse to retreat at all, and stay figting despite the retreat icon above there head and you no longer having control

sometimes they don't respond to the retreat order at all

While these case's are not common, it seems to be happening often enough that i'm starting to notice it

This isn't anything new, really. Lots of times in the past, retreating squads have acted stupidly. Sitting around and fighting when they have the retreat thing above their head usually is caused becaused they can't retreat because something is in the way.

The not retreating on command... Well, I don't know what causes it, but it happens every so often, and gets your stuff killed.

As for being suppressed while retreating or as they retreat, again, I don't know what causes it. I remember seeing it a few days ago, where a tommy squad tried to retreat but was suppressed. If retreating works like fireup (remove all suppression, gain massive resisitance to suppression (NOT immunity)), then I suppose it's possible to suppress retreating squads, provided you had enough suppression weapons shooting at the squad.

Retreat breaks and then reduces suppresion so if engineers retreat by 6 mg42's they will be suppressed for an extreme example..
    Yes, im back

I've found that the more cratered and pock-marked the ground is, the more likely a unit will get stuck on it and not move until you click them through it manually.

Retreating is supposed to apply a suppression received modifier, but I have seen retreating squads stick around... do nothing... then get suppressed... and eventually pinned... and then die.

You want to see screwy retreat logic? Check out this replay I saved of my tommies running away from the hq direction and through the enemiy troops towards my bloody emplacement further afield! This is one of the wackiest things I've seen in CoH...

The incident is somewhere from 20% to 60% in I forget exactly where.

Also, in the replay you can see an avre taking out 8 guys in one shot and then in the final few seconds taking out 12 vet 2 grens which caused my opponent to quit, quite funny and worth watching.
    Attached Files

6. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #6
    Yes, i've noticed some retreating bugs too, even back in v2.301 they'd get randomly stuck on nothing while retreating, for the most part they get stuck at the edge of territory sectors the most. They would stand there until the retreat ability wears off, then you got to walk them a few meters past the edge of the territories and order them to retreat again, simply ordering them to retreat again from where they get stuck would result in them being stuck again and you'd have to wait till the retreat ability wore off aagin.

Of course another annoying bug was when they would be pinned when ordered to retreat, and they would slowly crawl back to their HQ permanantly pinned (as mentioned above), but then even after the suppression and the retreat ability wore off, some of the men in the squad would be stuck prone when you moved them around after that, making the whole squad move incredibly slowly for ages after.

Both bugs i'd mentioned and the ones above were around back in v2.0, and were even discussed a bit back then when OF first released. It's more than likely it was brought to Relic's attention back then, and surely they would have known about it since v2.301, if they haven't done anything about it by now, i'm pretty sure they either won't or can't.

You want to see screwy retreat logic? Check out this replay I saved of my tommies running away from the hq direction and through the enemiy troops towards my bloody emplacement further afield! This is one of the wackiest things I've seen in CoH...
    Well that's not a screw up or bug.. You accidentially hit the retreat-to-captain-button. You had your captain on that hill.. I accidentially hit that button quite often.

ever had retreating commandos take out the last man of a pzgren squad as they retreat their way past!?!

i wasnt impressed!

in 2.502 it seems to take squads 2 secs longer to actualise retreat from when you press the button...
    Real men used to play Wehr...

Retreat has definitely been more of a grab bag of "what will they do this time" then its ever been before.

Suppression seems to interfere with it, sometimes they won't retreat at all, other times they crawl all the way back-if they don't get killed first.

I remember someone posting this a long time ago, and it has helped me when they get into that "Fuck you I'm not responding state". I order them to halt/stop and then I hit retreat. Not always, but sometimes that frees them up from whatever retarded state they are in.
    But we love CoH, it's by far the best RTS game I've ever played. Every rose has its thorns, except CoH's thorns are more like laser guided serrated switch blades. - Painmuffin

Thread Information