Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ports Required for HW2 (1.1)

1. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1

Ports Required for HW2 (1.1)

With 1.1 allowing people behind firewalls to host, there are now tons of peole learning how to use routers for the first time. In order to get all the ports in one spot, I list them here for you now.

My advice is to forward TCP and UDP packets.

First, the directplay ports:

2302 to 2400

Second, all the gamespy ports:

6667 (IRC)
    80 (HTTP)
    27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
    28900 (Master Server List Request)
    29900 (GP Connection Manager)
    29901 (GP Search Manager)
    13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
    3783 (Voice Chat Port)
    6515 (Dplay UDP)
    6500 (Query Port)

Once that's working, you should be able to host games on Gamespy.

If you host a game, and it shows as a 999 ping (and subsequently vanishes from the list), then you've not forwarded a port correctly (most likely).

You will also need to shut down any firewall software and perhaps windows xp firewall (if on).

See this page for more help:

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

Note, the above list of ports were collected from the HW2 Readme and the above page.

hwmodder
    You don't need to open the DirectPlay ports 2302-2400 in my experience.

No way am I shutting down Zonealarm.I'm not getting a virus just to play Homeworld 2.

4. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #4
    You don't *have* to shut it down, just configure it right.

Octagon
    I have done all the ports but the port range 2302-2400, and its making the games give the right ping, but still cant join.

Now I have to firmware flash my modem just to get port range forwarding.

Now, if it dies in the process...

magmapsa
    after extensive port scanning, cursing, and sleepless nights I figured out which ports u ACTUALLY need.

The following ports for INBOUND traffic:

-6073 (udp)
    -6500 (udp)
    -2302:2400 (make sure port 2302 is forwarded, so if it doesnt work try 2301:2400) (udp)
    -13139 (udp)

All ports are UDP, not a single one is TCP, and also, if you are behind a firewall, you only need to unblock the ports listed above, if you are behind a router, you need to port forward the ports to the computer on which u want to play.

all other ports in the readme are either bullshit or outgoing traffic. If u block outgoing traffic u probably have to unblock those ports.

If you are a bit of an security freak, you only have to open port 27900 to master.gamespy.com, not any other IP/DNS.

Also port 6515 which everyone says u need to forward, isnt needed.

Hope this helps for some people who still have problems. If people can see your ping but cant join your game the problem probably lies with the 2302 port, extend the range of the ports a bit like i said earlier.
    Last edited by magmapsa; 24th Dec 03 at 5:41 AM.

Octagon
    TYVM Magma! That helped alot. Kudos 2 U!

8. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #8
    Thanks Magma!

Viper114
    Does opening port 27900 allows the same thing for those four ports mentioned? Or would I still have to open the original four stated, magmapsa?

magmapsa
    thats the only port i came across when packet scanning. I dunno about the other 3, u'll have to try it out to see if it works or not.

Viper114
    Would I have to follow these steps to JOIN game on Gamespy, or can I just login, join a game and go without problems?

magmapsa
    you can join game without problems, but if u want to host games yourself u have to do the above.

hwmodder
    hmm, for me blocking 6515 prevents me from hosting

Proto Plasm
    I have a Linksys router. I think I can figure out how to forward ports for my computer on the network, but can someone walk me through enabling the other ports plz?

BLESS
    For any of you out there who has a router that doesn't allow you to forward ports within a range as required for the directplay ports(like mine D: ) or may still have difficulties trying to get mp workin even , try DXport which u can get from here.

This app basically forces Directplay to use ports that you specify, be it just on one port or over a smaller range of ports (still has to be between 2302 and 2400 though). So this will eliminate trying to search which ports homeworld is using and forcing the game to use a port that you specify.

blade|Hsc
    Hello Uber,
    I guess someone else could have experienced troubles with ZoneAlarm, so, I will give you folks some tips.
    This procedure is for ZoneAlarm Plus, but I am sure it works the same way for both ZoneAlarm Pro and freeware versions.
    Assuming you have your Internet Zone Security set to high, go to the Firewall panel/Internet Zone Security and click on the Custom button.
    In the 'Custom Firewall Settings' window, under Internet Zone, scroll down until you reach the Allow Incoming/Outgoing UDP/TCP section, just before the 'Medium security settings for Internet zone'.
    Put a check mark on 'Allow incoming UDP ports' and, in the box below, writes the following values: 6073,2302-2400,6667,80,27900,28900,29900,29901,13139,3783,6515,6500 (using commas, but without any spaces).
    Click 'Apply'.
    Repeat the process for the other three instances ('Allow outgoing UDP ports', 'Allow incoming TCP ports' and 'Allow outgoing TCP ports').
    You can copy & paste the ports' numbers, in order not to have to type them every time in the box below.
    Your ZoneAlarm is now hopefully configured to let you host and join games of Homeworld 2.
    Best regards.
    Last edited by blade|Hsc; 1st Jan 04 at 3:53 AM.

17. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #17
    Thanks Blade!

giniustflord

Re: Ports Required for HW2 (1.1)

hey how about step by step instroctions on how to get to the pages were the setings are made for us dumbasses who dont know beter thanks

[edit by UJ] Cleaned out the quote and put his text out so it wasn't in the quote.
    Last edited by ÜberJumper; 31st Dec 03 at 5:44 PM.

19. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #19
    Ginius:

It's not like I have the time to figure out how to configure every firewall for everyone out there.

I go by the rule that If I buy the hardware, I should learn how to use it. I usually start with the manual, then any online help at the vendors website.

So, find out what firewall/router/whatever you have, and check out the vendor's website.

giniustflord
    dud im talking bout the router ports and how to get to the page and what to do "not the firwall " when i get to my lynksy web page to set up my router i cant find half the stuf you listed on the web page so im stumped
    thanks ow and by the way i finaly got to host a game in hw2 i used the dx port 102 to do it and had to set my dmz to my comps port but been told that will put my comp at risk and when i finaly get in the game in 5 miniuts peaple whit exelent pings start timing and drop 1 by one till im the last one left and it happens in every game
    help me out huh
    thanks

[edit by UJ, again to put his comments outside of a quote, which wasn't needed]
    Last edited by ÜberJumper; 1st Jan 04 at 4:50 PM.

21. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #21
    Ginius:

Read your router's manual and documentation on the webpage. Again, without knowing your exact hardware, I can't help you.

AnaConda

Nothing works... = (

Hello everybody!

I know this has issue allready been discussed several times, but Ive tried everything on this forum and nothing works.

I cant host or join Games on GameSpy or LAN (I havent tried the direct TCP/IP connection). When I try to host, I get an error message that says: "Network not available". When I try to join games, HW2 crashes back to desktop.

Now I have a TeleWell TW-640 router with nat enabled, witch seams to be the source of my problems. I would like to have a solution other than overriding my router. So I tried this as well...

Originally posted by BLESS
    For any of you out there who has a router that doesn't allow you to forward ports within a range as required for the directplay ports(like mine D: ) or may still have difficulties trying to get mp workin even , try DXport which u can get from here.

This app basically forces Directplay to use ports that you specify, be it just on one port or over a smaller range of ports (still has to be between 2302 and 2400 though). So this will eliminate trying to search which ports homeworld is using and forcing the game to use a port that you specify.
    ...with no success!

I have configured ZoneAlarm as much as possible(theres not much you can do in the free version). Ive also tried connections with firewall off. No success there either!

I have played numerous games in different game servers and with direct connections and never had any problems.

If you have any suggestions Id be thankfull...

Meanwhile ill try to reinstall directx drivers!

AnaConda

Solved... = )

Hi!

Ok got it to work!!

So it was the previus directX setup that had someway gone rong and the DirectPlay-service providers had been corrupted and registry settings were incorrect.

Problem actually solved when I looked into dxdiag panel, network tab. Dxdiag clearly recommended reinstalling directx, because files were corrupt or missing!

Sorry for the trouble, if some allready started to look into my problem...

24. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #24
    No problem, would have told you to go and do what you did if I'd seen this earlier. There's a couple of other posts about this already, including this one in the MTL.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...threadid=16554

ToranagaSama
    Help!

SMC Barricade

Trigger Port:
    Trigger Type:
    Public Port:
    Public Type:
    Enabled:

IP Address of Virtual DMZ Host:

----

OK, so what do I feel in for the above?

---

This is what I tried:

Trigger Port: 6073
    Trigger Type: TCP and UDP
    Public Port: 2302-2400, 6073
    Public Type: TCP and UDP
    Enabled: Checked for both TCP and UDP

IP Address of Virtual DMZ Host: what I believe is my IP address

I also have a software firewall configured for HW2.

---

I can join, but can't host. The last time I tried, my game could be seen, I believe it was NOT gray, but someone quickly mentioned that my ping was 999.

BTW, after giving up trying to host, I joined a game, and immediately, my software firewall was triggered by a Trojan attempt. Somehow I was able to minimize the game, instruct the software firewall to Block, and continued playing. The software firewall is NEVER coming down.

If you are a bit of an security freak, you only have to open port 27900 to master.gamespy.com, not any other IP/DNS.
    I'm a security freak, so ahhh....how does the above work without using the above ports? How do I set it up in utilizing the above fields?

P.S., is the *text* for setting the range, above, done correctly?

Thank you in advance.

26. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #26
    Toranga:

I think you're messing with the wrong settings with all that port triggering stuff.

If you set your DMZ, then ALL connections to your router will be forwarded to the IP address of your machine. That's what I do on my system. That way you don't have to worry about port forwarding.

Which specific model is your router? From what I've briefly seen, you can't easily forward a range of ports to your ip address without using the dmz host... your model might have different features.

Pick your model at this page, and locate the manual for more info:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Sup...s&cat=4&site=c

waymcc

ports for homeworld 2

I've been going through these forums for some time. I can't host or join a mulitplayer game. I tried opening the ports but that doesn't seem to help. I will try them again if someone could post the procedure for forwarding a port. I have no idea what that is.

28. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #28
    What Router do you have? You've got the 1.1 patch? You tried with any firewall software you have shut off?

waymcc
    Sorry, here's my entire system specs. I don't use a router. I have a Compaq S4200NX 2.66 celeron with 512 MB DDR Ram. My video card is a NVidia Geforce FX 5200 PCI with 128 MB RAM. Sound card is Sound Blaster Audigy 2. My internet connection is DSL with a Comtrend CT-301 modem. My firewall is the Sygate personal firewall packed with VCOM System Suite 5. I do have the 1.1 patch. All drivers are up to date as is my Win XP. I have tried opening the ports, disabling the WIN XP firewall AND Sygate firewall independently and at the same time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice. I cannot host or join a mulitplayer game. I can get to the GameSpy lobbies and chat with no prob. When I try to host a multiplayer game, the 'Start Game' button is greyed out. When I try to join a multiplayer game, I get "host not found' or '"host has been lost" error message after the game attempts to connect to the host. If you need any more info, please post and I will reply:thumb:

waymcc
    HERE IS MY HW2 LOG FILE FROM THE LAST TIME I TRIED TO CONNECT TO A MP GAME
    Wed Jan 14 23:01:55 2004
    Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big'
    UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'C:\PROGRA~1\Sierra\HOMEWO~1\data\locale\english'
    Loaded Archive: 'english.big'
    Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder
    GAME -- Using player profile CR4GL
    Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (5.1 build 2600), Service Pack 1
    Using NVIDIA Corporation's 1.4.1 GeForce FX 5200/PCI/SSE2 renderer (Suspected driver is nvoglnt.dll 6.14.10.5303)
    Loaded Archive: 'englishSpeech.big'
    Loaded Archive: 'Music.big'
    SOUND -- created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
    SOUND -- created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
    Build name: The Dust Wars - AutoBuild3569 - Ordered by smmatte
    Built by : mrbuild
    Data path : C:\PROGRA~1\Sierra\HOMEWO~1\data
    Resetting fp control word.
    CmdLine: -fragment_program 0
    E FROM MY LAST ATTEMPT TO CONNECT:

31. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #31
    Waymcc:

Sounds like your ports are not properly opened.

Try disabling all your firewall software by using msconfig, then trying again.

If your ADSL router has a built in firewall, you'll need to shut that off as well.

Viet0ne
    for the person questioning zone alarms ability to handle viruses.

It cant, it wont, all it does is work as a firewall, a routers firewall is way better then zonealarm by far, the difference is the router specifies ports and zonealarm specifies programs and opens ports accordingly.

If you dont want viruses then buy Anti-Virus software, even if you have zonealarm you can still be subjected to virus by surfing the internet and downloading.

Sgt_FunkyMonkey
    Gah! My router wants the server's IP address!

34. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #34
    Which is the internal IP address of your machine...

Sgt_FunkyMonkey
    I tried that already. *Goes off to try again*

Edit:Oh, wait, haven't tried int. IP address yet. :P
    EditII:Which I don't know how to find on WinXP...
    Last edited by Sgt_FunkyMonkey; 15th Jan 04 at 5:41 PM.

36. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #36
    Start>Run, type CMD, hit enter

At the prompt, type ipconfig /all and hit enter.

Sgt_FunkyMonkey
    Thx UberJumper.
    (I could swear comps had a different IP than the one used by the router!)

waymcc
    I took another run at opening the ports, the game still does not work. I still get the "Host not found" when I try to join a multiplayer game. When I try to host, I get "Network Unavailable" error message. There were two ports listed that I could not open, port 80 was being used for "Web Server (HTTP)" by Win XP and port 6073 was being used by something called "dpnsvr 255.255.255.255:6073". Any thoughts??:tread:

39. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #39
    Network unavailable?

Go to Start>Run... type DXDIAG and hit enter... go to the network tab... are there any errors?

waymcc
    I tried the dxdiag 3 times, I went to the network tab and tried the "test direct play". The dxdiag program froze up the computer everytime and I had to used the task manager to stop it.:flamer:

Now I'm REALLY confused.....:heyhey:

41. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #41

waymcc
    GRRRRR:skull: Still doesn't work. The DXDIAG program is still locking up. What about the ports that I couldn't open ? 6073 was already in use by something called 'dpnsvr', could that be it?
    I'm begining to think this is never gonna work..

43. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #43
    Try shutting off your Firewall Software completely then trying to connect.

Sounds like your directX install is hosed though, try reinstalling from the HW2 CD.

waymcc
    Thanks for your suggestions, but no change at all. I'm beginning to think the problem is somehow related to XP. My firewall is blocking traffice from an IP that is associated with my network card. I'm pretty sure that is the problem, but I have no idea how to resolve it.

45. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #45
    Try shutting off the firewall completely to rule it out as a cause.

Pyromonger
    Blah... I put my puter in DMZ and still can't host

I was looking forward to setting this up once I got my new 'puter.

Unfortunately my Belkin 4-port NAT firewalled router has very limited port-forwarding capabilities. I can only forward 10 ports (UDP or TCP, takes 2 slots to forward both), and can't forward ranges. :\

I've been able to get most of my other programs running fine (the ones that only require 1 or 2 ports each), but there's no way I can have them AND HW2 at same time, and I can't even get all the HW2 ports b/c of the range issue.

DMZ doesn't seem to work, so I guess I'm screwed :P

47. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #47
    Pyro:

Some routers require that the DMZed computer be hooked up to a specific port on your router. Make sure your router isn't one of them.

Also, make sure your XP firewall is off.

Pyromonger
    Doh... worse than that. My new comp got a new internal IP when I hooked it up to same port, and DMZ was still set for the old comps IP :P

*feels dumb*

Works lika charm now heh heh. Which is good, we need more players who can host, esp in the wee hours of the nite.

Not willing to give up on the game yet, tho the foreign language patches would be a big help... the room is ALWAYS split b/w v1.1 and v1.0 games. :\ I think it's impressive the v1.0 ppl are still trying...

waymcc
    Hey Uber,

First of all, I want to say thanks for your help. I did shut down my firewall with MSCONFIG program like you suggested. There was no change in my multiplayer, still cannot join or host a game. I can definitely rule out the firewall as the cause of the problem. The ICF firewall with WIN XP has been shut down as well. I also disabled the my Anti-Virus software at the same time. I have also opened all ports listed in the forums, with the exception of Ports 80 and 6073 which were in use by WIN XP. I no longer get the network unavailable message when I try to host a game. The 'Start Game' button is greyed out so that I cannot click it. When I try to join a game, HW2 attempts to connect for about 40-60 secs and gives me the message,' Host has been lost'. I ran DXport and it lists all ports between 2300 and 2400 as being availabe.

THANKS

waymcc
    In addition, if I attempt to join a second multiplayer game after losing the host on my first attempt, HW2 freezes my computer and I have to use the task manager to end it..:howdy:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information