Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dawn Of Skirmish SS v3.20 AI Mod is now LIVE!!

Dawn Of Skirmish SS v3.20 AI Mod is now LIVE!!

Dawn Of Skirmish *SOUL STORM EXPANSION ONLY* v3.20 RELEASE and Acknowledgments (July 2009)
    ================================================================================================

** For SoulStorm v1.20 (Soulstorm + v1.10 Patch + its Hotfix) **

Main Download Link (FAST!!)
    Secondary Download Link (Faster!)

Note: Dark Crusade version coming soon!

Meet the Cast:
    ==============

Thudo (Thudmeizer)..>> Team Lead/Coder/Gfx/Bonafied Cheerleader
    ArkhanTheBlack......>> Lead Coder/Scripter
    LarkinVB............>> Lead Coder/Scripter/Beta Tester
    Cultist.............>> Additional Heroes Special optimizations
    Corsix..............>> Coding assistance
    Dark40K.............>> Coding assistance
    Zenoth..............>> Beta Tester
    Inquisitor..........>> Beta Tester/Assistance with camera mod
    Troubadour..........>> Beta Tester
    Smokeskin...........>> Beta Tester
    Dreddnott...........>> Beta Tester
    ThetaOrion..........>> Beta Tester
    Malkor..............>> Beta Tester
    FinalDeath..........>> Beta Tester
    QuietDeath..........>> Beta Tester
    JBird...............>> Beta Tester
    Slash...............>> Beta Tester

Introduction
    ============

Prepare for a more enhanced Dawn Of War - Soul Storm skirmish experience!

This project started after the release of Dawn Of War with the intent to bring to the global DoW community a more intense and satisfying AI opponent on the field of war. We hope you will agree that has been achieved with the understanding more is to be done in the future. Our work continues to evolve and in the coming months will make current efforts pale in comparison. However, you have to start somewhere and hot damn what a jump start!

Its been a slice from start to, well, continuing! We're so looking forward to enhancing the AI even further in the coming months!

A Personal Thanks
    =================

At this time I would like to personally thank all the participating members of the team:

ArkhanTheBlack, LarkinVB, Excedrin, and Corsix, as well as our beta testers, Malkor, Zenoth, ThetaOrion, FinalDeath, Troubadour, Slash, JBird, QuietDeath, Smokeskin, Dreddnott and (all who keep our work "in-perspective" and "on-track" with our ultimate goals of achieving the most competitive DoW AI opponent we can create!).

Its through your dedication, patience, and technical expertise that allowed the work to commence and prosper. Without you fellers, there'd be a pittance of work compared to the greatness this project has become. We've come a long way and do sincerely hope to continue our expert correspondence into the future of the product.

CutterShane (Original idea and implementation of the Heroes mod)

Alex Gnome (Original idea and implementation of the Camera mod)

Disclaimer
    ==========

This is to acknowledge that we take no personal responsibility for any hardware damage or data corruption brought forth by the use or installation of this DoW modification. As used, this modification works "as is" and has been thoroughly tested and should not cause any major problems. In the event, however, that something serious does occur, it is up to the user(s) of their computer(s) to make appropriate backups before any attempt is made to install the following DoW modification. Use at your own risk.

Whats In The Package?
    ====================

o Main Installation Package containing the Enhanced DoW AI scripts (contains ONLY those .ai files that our team altered)
    o Dawn Of Skirmish SS v3.2 dowai.txt (what your reading)
    o Doc folder containing information how to add your own faction to the AI project.

Installation
    ============

Piece of Cake! Run the executable and it will extract to where your <installed Dawn Of War folder> is.

Once installed, run the newly placed shortcut on your desktop "DOW Skirmish AI v3.2" or from StartMenu/Programs/"Dawn Of War Skirmish AI Mod". You will know if the modification is running when on the top-left section of the Dawn Of War Main Menu it will display: Dawn Of Skirmish v3.2.

To uninstall this modification, go back to StartMenu/Programs/"DOW Skirmish AI Mod" and choose "Remove Dawn Of Skirmish AI Mod" to remove the modification from Dawn Of War.

**NOTE**

This version of the AI mod will only work with the Soul Storm Expansion.

What's new in Dawn of Skirmish SS AI 3.2?
    =========================================
    o Map data base which allows improved pathing checks for enemy units (must be activated by choosing the game mod MapDB in the game menu!)
    o Eldar fortress map crash should be fixed (Hopefully)
    o Other fixes and improvements

Extended camera zoom modes
    ==========================
    Optional installation feature which adds two files camera_high.lua and camera_low.lua to the Dowai_mod\Data folder.
    If you dislike them you can deselect them during installation or just delete them if you already installed them.
    The default view is almost the same like vanilla therefore you shouldn't notice much difference until you start
    to zoom in or out. Thanks to Alex Gnome for the original discovery of the camera settings.

AI Highspeed Setting
    ====================
    Option set in the game mode panel at the setup of a game.

People who experience heavy lag and sync problems in multiplayer should try this option.
    Some AI calculations are simplified or skipped to increase performance.
    But beware, the AI could be slightly weaker because of that.

Heroes Special Mod
    ==================
    Activates the Heroes Special mod which is a rework of CutterShanes exceptional Heroes mod, that specializes
    only on the unit experience system. Have a look at the Heroes Special readme file for further information.
    There's also a Heroes Special modding document which describes the inclusion and modification of Heroes Special
    for other mods.

Massive Battles Mod
    ===================
    Was also part of Cuttershanes original Heroes Mod. Increases the squad and support cap maximum by 50%.
    Therefore all players can build squads and vehicles up to 30 squad and 30 support cap. (Except Orcs)

Fortress Mod
    ============
    Use this if you prefer defensive games with stronger turrets, mines and fortified listening posts. The AI will
    also build more turrets and mines as in normal games.

AI Donation System
    ==================

- All races donate requisition if they own more than 800

- All races demand requisition if they own less than 200

- All races donate power if they own more than 600 (Necrons: more than 1100)

- All races demand power if they own less than 200 (Necrons: less than 400)

AI Config Panel
    ===============

There are several options you can change for each difficulty level to adjust the AI behaviour to you liking.

1.) Dancing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dancing is the ability to run away with ranged units if they are attacked in melee.
    There are three possible settings:
    a) Off => Dancing is not used at all
    b) Standard => The AI is restricted to only dance with one unit at a time
    c) Godlike => The AI will dance with several units at a time if necessary

2.) Attack Delay
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This forces the AI to wait with an attack until a specif time has passed.
    You can adjust this time in two minute steps from 0 to 20 minutes.

3.) Tech Speed
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    With an increased teching speed, the AI will spend its resources more on teching than on building troops.
    With a decreased teching speed, the AI will spend its resources more on building troops than on teching.

4.) Teching Handicap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A handicap will slow down the teching of an AI. It will also hoard more resources
    instead of spending it immediately for units or buildings.
    You can give allies an handicap or opponents. If you give allies a handicap, all
    AI's allied with a human player are affected. If you give opponents a handicap, all
    AI's not allied with a human player are affected. You can use this behavior for
    example to weaken AI opponents if you don't feel good enough to face them at full
    strength. Or you want the exact opposite, a real challenge, and weaken your own
    allies, so you have to do more yourselves.

5.) Allow alternative strategies
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All AI's have 4 different strategies:

- A solid all round strategy
    - A special ranged strategy
    - A special melee strategy
    - A vehicle fast tech strategy

If alternative strategies are activated, the AIs will choose one of those strategies at the start by
    random, though the chances of each strategy are influenced by opponent and map size. If deactivated,
    the AI will always choose the solid allround strategy.

6.) Early Harassing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This allows commanders and combat troops to make an attack at an extremely early state to
    avoid opposing scout capturing strategic points. If successful, this can severely cripple
    the opponents resource income and decide the game at a very early state. On the other side,
    harassing can also lead to a quick sacrifice of troops, which gives the opponent an advantage.
    Harassing is only possible in the first 4 minutes.

7.) Dynamic Production Buildings
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The AI normally builds more troop production buildings if it has excess resources. This allows
    often an outproducing of the opponent who can't replace its losses fast enough.
    Bear in mind that the AI might still build more troop production because of other reasons. IG for
    example need to build them to increase their squad and support caps. In this case those buildings
    are normally only built a bit later. This can also hurt the balance between the races since some
    of them are affected more and others less of it.

8.) Build Relic units
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If deactivated, the AI won't build any Relic units like the Baneblade from the Imperial Guard or the Chaos
    Bloodthirster.

9.) Build turrets
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If deactivated, the AI won't build any turrets (except Orc Waagh Banners).

10.) Build mines
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If deactivated, the AI won't build any mines.

Script Changes (from the original game to what we have today)
    ==============
    Available upon request.

Comments?
    =========
    Visit us at our home base
    You can also drop by the official Relicforums here: http://forums.relicnews.com/

Cheers DoW Community and prepare for some serious ownage!

Congrats skirmish AI team. This is another fine developement, thank you all for your hard work and presenting us an AI that is more than just a challenge

Downloaded and installed.

Thank you DoWAI team for the work and time spent developing an AI that functions and functions well.
    -It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end (Douglas Adams)-
    -Make something idiot proof and nature will create a better idiot.-
    -Me fail English? That's unpossible!-

It's nice to see progress being done on ambitious projects like this. As always, I guess the easy AI in here will crush me to smitherines, but I'm sure the better tacticians here will have some fun with this.

Being a bit curious about the technicalities, might I ask what this Map Database entails?

Also, LarkinVB, does that mean you're handing in your badge and leaving the team, or is it "just" that you've come so far with your development that there isn't much more to do (all desirable goals achieved, etc.)?
    Das Bavarian Franch Reich
    13 kilograms og Belgian hair
    19 incidents of prolapsus from France
    66 liters of unaware pancreas-hatted English priests
    1/2 soothing-voiced Norwegian baboon

I dont know if this is a false positive or not but my Virus scanner keeps throwing a Trojan warning at me everytime I try to download this

RetroInfinity
    Getting a trojan warning too.

Not getting any Trojan warning, seems like a clean file here, using Avira AntiVir.

What I should have done now was to use one of those online supercheckers (you submit a file to it, it checks it with pretty much all known anti-virus apps, which should usually reveal if it's a fake positive)... but I've forgotten the name and the address. :\

- Modern Virus scanners are notorious for giving off false positives. Nod32 is guilty of this too. There should be no issues with the package as Nod32 gives our package a clean bill.
    - You can look at the MapDB project which had its genesis HERE
    - Both Arkhan and Larkin are moving on with limited DoW1 AI dev -- I think we've exhausted the most out of the DoW1 AI because Relic didn't export all of the AI functions they could have (a good portion is still hardcoded).

Thanks to Thudo and the AI team for this release.

Btw... if the AI files saved could be 'transferable' wouldn't be nice to have it bundled archive or available to use?

Btw... if the AI files saved could be 'transferable' wouldn't be nice to have it bundled archive or available to use?
    Not sure what you mean?

Sorry, I meant the AI map files generated (from LarkinVB's MAPai), you guys generated during testing.

14. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #14
    Out of interest, Thudo, did you guys ever update the DC code like you said you would? I can't remember if it was ever updated.

Many thanks in advance
    My blog! (updated 18/09/14: Why Java Ain't Bad)

We have an unreleased DC version of SS AI 3.1. Thudo also wanted to put a DC version together for SS AI 3.2, but I don't know how far he is...

Almost done with the DC upgrading. Essentially, DC AI will have ALL the benefits afforded to SS AI but obviously built for DC exclusively.

You can update your signature, Arkhan. :-)

YES! DoWpro would really benefit from this.
    Destroy to create. All for the hunt to dominate!

YES! DoWpro would really benefit from this.
    DoWPro basically has it already with v3.54

Thank you so much for this new update.

alright this has bugged me alot for awhile, but i never see the AI actually acting on the advantages i give them during a match. Example. I attacked a enemy base and the enemy's blob and its allies went to the rescue. My allies just sit there doing nothing....i have just diverted the enemies attention! i keep shouting at my pc "COUNTER ATTACK!" yet they sit there. its annoying because i know any human player would counter attack when the enemies entire force is moving away leaving 2 other bases exposed for the sake of 1...
    Acceptance- Seeing how hopefully shitty you are and moving on.

@ Thud:
    I gave my Chaos Marines flamers and missile launchers... they use flamers on tanks and missile launchers on infantry... what do I do to assign them priority target classes for the appropriate heavy weapons?

@ Cadian Guard:
    LOL the AI is training you for "Kasyr Lutien 20 min no rush random team" online games.

@Mlai - real easy: go to the chaosunitstats.ai and add the hardpoint names in the code similar to the other ones BUT the 17 effectiveness values for your new hardpoints should reflect the damage they do. The AI uses all 17 values to decide when to upgrade that squad based on the most numerous armour class it finds in the field. Btw, the AI doc file in the \docs folder of the AI mod explains this to.

@Cadian - Ask yourself this: does the AI on the all-AI team help out its fellow threatened AI player more readily than it does when a human player is on the team? If so, yeah we know: the AI is not 100% in this matter (as it doesn't seem to prorate human forces very high or at all so it considers its own army too weak to help) and can never be entirely at this nearly 5 years of dev. Mind you, try another map -- generally the AI will help you out.

Thanks for the mod!

Been playing this lovely mod for 4 years.

Your signature is dated, Thudo.

These forums don't show the sig reliably anymore

These forums don't show the sig reliably anymore
    They show it only once per page. Check your top post.

Done! Thanks Larkin!

Erm, for some odd reason, it says that 3.2 AI is a virus, and 3.1 and 3.0 is not. Is there a problem?

Arg sir, the thread is less than a page long.

I dont know if this is a false positive or not but my Virus scanner keeps throwing a Trojan warning at me everytime I try to download this.
    - Modern Virus scanners are notorious for giving off false positives. Nod32 is guilty of this too. There should be no issues with the package as Nod32 gives our package a clean bill.
    It is a false positive.

Sorry, I thought it would be the dang virus (cryptor) that has infested my computer, and I panic'd a little. But I just gone ahead and used 3.1, since AVG won't let me install 3.2.

False Positive.. blame overly-sensitive anti-virus programs. :-/

Upload the file with http://virusscan.jotti.org/en and it will check with 20+ virus scanners online. AVG is the only one reporting a problem. False positive.

Just wanted to say I'm happy the Eldar stronghold no longer crashes, got really annoying, anyway good work Thudmeizer.

Actually. its "thanks 'AI TEAM'".. we do this as a collective.

Mucho thanks! I'm gonna have to load this back up soon.

My bad Thudmeizer. Thanks AI TEAM for your great work!

Outflow
    Hmm... I tried running the file with AVG closed.. and the file does not run at all. I'm trying to find a way to install this latest release and I can't seem to find any way to let the .exe run. Are there any possible workarounds? thudmeizer if you could release a patched install if possible that would be great.

Hrrmm that makes no sense - if you disabled your AV then it should install. There is nothing wrong with our install package. Re-download the package AFTER you fully and completely disabled your AV -- its likely corrupting the install. No one else is reporting this issue.

Outflow
    Damn... that's just my luck. I did exactly as you said before I made my post and it still acted like a rock. I tried running it as an administrator and still nothing. I did notice that when I right clicked it gave me an option to "unblock" the file. I did that and then when I went to execute it gave me some kind of restricted access error. Weird. I guess I'll keep trying to figure it out.

I had the same problem. I had to disable AVG as well as the browser toolbar that it automatically installs.

Outflow
    Wait.. how do you disable the toolbar? This may be my problem.

If you are running firefox (no idea what to do with anything else, but I assume it is the same) at the top of your browser go to tools, add-ons, then disable avg security toolbar.

Outflow
    Ahh thank you kind sir. Everything is a go. Thanks to thudmeizer for another excellent addition to Dawn of War. Cheers (raises 40 to the sky).

I'm glad I could be of service.
    The Dawn of Skirmish AI team really gave us a winner with this one and it would have sucked to miss out on it because of AVG and false positives.
    Last edited by Opuoxions; 5th Aug 09 at 5:57 PM.

@Outflow
    It's a team effort so it's thanks to Skirmish AI team not only just Thudo
    (see post #35 for details LOL)

Of course it was a team effort but Arkhan should receive a special mention, he did about 90% of the coding stuff.

Outflow
    Sorry.. of course of course I meant no offense. I think I'm recalling when thudmeizer was working alone, unless of course that was never the case and I'm just a fool. Thank you all of you.

Kilkakon
    I'm looking forward to the DC version AI team. Unless it's out already and I've managed to miss it, which is quite possible. :P

Yep.. the Adv. DC AI is almost ready for release!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information