Banshees murder them. Sluggas with some upgrades murder them. Shotgun scouts for cost can beat them... All of the "flavour of the month" units are more effective, cost less, can be built and massed earlier etc.
Their infiltration is not that great.
1. Scout sergeants detect. Did you forgot to build some scout sergeants? You've got no excuses in 1.4, they come in tier 1 now and their grenades are ace so what are you waiting for?
2. Nob leaders detect. Orks should have plenty of them running around. No exceptions.
3. Eldar... OK Eldar need rangers to detect and that can be frustrating because you probably don't want to build rangers. Eldar are the only race that actually have to put effort into detecting the raveners.
4. It costs 50 energy to infiltrate, once they are burrowed they will no longer to able to use their tier 1 burrow attack because it costs 70 energy and they only have 100 total.
5. They can't attack while infiltrated.
Now onto the stats of the Raveners.
1. 1200hp is not "fragile" like the tool tip says. Agreed but should the stats be fixed to match the tool tip, or should the tool tip to fixed to match the stats? Before we go nerfing their HP into the ground, lets look at their other stats.
2. Their scything talons deal roughly 19dps each, although they count as power weapons so that is boosted to roughly 25dps vs heavy infantry. Bare in mind that there are ONLY 3 RAVENERS. Sluggas have 27dps each and come in squads of 6, Banshees deal 28(36)dps and come in squads of 5. Assault marines, who are considered to be significantly underpowered deal almost 27dps with their chainswords. Even hormagaunts out-damage raveners in CC with 15dps each (squad of 8).
3. Devourers. Roughly 66(99)dps to infantry per squad is pretty damn beefy and yes I would agree vs heavy_inf this is too strong in tier 1. One disadvantage of devourers is that they suffer from dps drop-off with the death of each ravener, unlike a weapon upgrade that keeps pumping out damage to the last man.
So looking at their stats I think it's clear that without their 1200hp, they would be absolutely atrocious in melee, even worse than assault marines. So we could reduce their HP to fit the tool tip, then buff their melee damage up the ying-yang... or simply remove the "fragile" bit out of the tool tip. Devourers could keep their basic damage and get some kind of upgrade in tier 2 to change them to plasma weapons, however I'd be hesitant to fiddle with the unit cost since I think they're pretty fairly costed already. Maybe the upgrade to plasma weapon could be an automatic upgrade when you hit tier 2?
Would that be possible from a code perspective?