Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Problem with TACS and how to fix them

1. Dawn of War Senior Member  #301
    As imagined by Octopus Rex... Troubleshooter's Avatar
    You know, I'm still the only SM player I've ever seen use a Razorback as an actual transport... and I can count on one hand how many orks I've seen emerge from a wartrukk... I've yet to ever see anything unload from a falcon. All this talk about blob-tacs being IMBA and no one seems to feel like it might be a good idea to use transports to negate 90% of that blobs effectiveness. Why is that?

As for nids... ya, I know... this is not really a solution. Its a good thing you have WTFAOE on that Barbed strangler and sporemines n' stuff though
    Ra Owa : AAHHHH!!!! ITS A ROCK!
    Troubleshooter : Wha... oh... Pfffttt... Prove it. :}
    Ra Owa : ... [sputtering] ... o.O ... Its SCIENCE!

nbates66
    i haven't really noticed many people using transports as transports either, i tend to use them for either moving between the top and bottom of the map, or inserting melee units into a group of enemy troops- with tacs providing fire support

Ya I'm gonna charge my fragile wartruk up to the mass of plasma and missile's that will work great.

Ever wonder why space marines never build devastators? They don't need them because they have no fear of melee reaching them.

nbates66
    ^ heh, maybe but that made me think: does the ork wartruk have a turbo boost ability like the DoW1 ones did? also if you catch them off guard then you should be able to drop your troops and get out of there, if you keep him distracted with something else. I never build more than 3 TAC squads myself, what amount makes a blob exactly? ( i've had people accusing me of blobbing when i have 2 tacs and 1 asm squad... )

Wartrukks are too fragile to charge missile launchers. And if you drop a couple squads of sluggas in their face they'll shoot for a couple seconds then mash retreat. End result: you're probably down a wartrukk and 3-4 sluggas, they're down one or two tacs.
    Remember: you're a blogger. Pretense is your co-pilot.

I ve used phase shift + falcon unloading Shees > shout at blob

Acanthor
    You know, I'm still the only SM player I've ever seen use a Razorback as an actual transport... and I can count on one hand how many orks I've seen emerge from a wartrukk... I've yet to ever see anything unload from a falcon. All this talk about blob-tacs being IMBA and no one seems to feel like it might be a good idea to use transports to negate 90% of that blobs effectiveness. Why is that?
    Could it be because the blob we're speaking of, the tac blob can destroy said transport with 1 missele and a few plasma hits? Boom! No more transport and I just wasted over 300 req and close to 95 power.

I remember using a razorback as a transport back in 1.3, before they made troops able to survive the destruction of their vehicle. Was hauling my 2 AV squads cross country to support an ally in a 3v3. Pathed past a line of tankbustas' and venom cannons while I was queuing something up in the HQ.

The loss of what... 1400/120? worth of troops, vehicles and weapon upgrades in less than a second was sufficiently traumatic that I can't bring myself to care if they say they've changed that. If I need transport, I'll bug an ally to build a webway or a tunnel.

It's kind of like somebody telling a survivor of the titanic, 'No, really, they're much safer now.'

*edit: They should totally give wartrukk's a charge ability with knockdown. It'd be like bowling, but where the ball stops after having knocked over the pins and proceeds to disgorge a bunch of dudes with axes to chop them to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by swizzle1million
    I remember using a razorback as a transport back in 1.3, before they made troops able to survive the destruction of their vehicle. Was hauling my 2 AV squads cross country to support an ally in a 3v3. Pathed past a line of tankbustas' and venom cannons while I was queuing something up in the HQ.

The loss of what... 1400/120? worth of troops, vehicles and weapon upgrades in less than a second was sufficiently traumatic that I can't bring myself to care if they say they've changed that. If I need transport, I'll bug an ally to build a webway or a tunnel.

Kind of like somebody telling a survivor of the titanic, 'No, really, they're much safer now.'
    I loled
    Btw i did use rb for transport in 1.3 but either in early t2 or i exited all my squads when it was hit by a tiny bullet.

10. Dawn of War Senior Member  #310
    As imagined by Octopus Rex... Troubleshooter's Avatar
    Wartrukks are too fragile to charge missile launchers.
    Defeatist much?

Wartruks are that fragile sadly

*edit: They should totally give wartrukk's a charge ability with knockdown. It'd be like bowling, but where the ball stops after having knocked over the pins and proceeds to disgorge a bunch of dudes with axes to chop them to pieces.
    That is an awesome orky idea!

12. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #312
    One of the main problems with space marines IMO is that the basic bolter is so darn good.
    this(27damage/shot) + heavy armour. 1 has to go.

I'm with Troubleshooter on this one. Tacticals are fine. Get over it and start using some real counters rather than attack moving.
    barely, the ork's natural counter to tacs are stormboyz, they are effective in a 1v1 situation, but not in a group fight. everyone is playing techmarine and their mother is an apoth. stormboyz are easily kited and countered by scout shotguns and multiple tac squads/usually-ignored-and-lonely techmarine, its usually suicide to just jump into a tac mob and if u dont, ur slugga/shoota backup is basically nullified by tacs shooting truckloads of optimus primes at them. we are fucked either way.

then there is the massed ranged arguement, here's the intended role for tacs, they bloody hell counter ranged and they are pretty damn good at it.

really, the change to heavy armour + the unnecessary damage buff fucked this patch so hard. 0.6x from enemy range? 27/bolter shot? i thought space marines arent supposed to be using heretical weapons.

ranger spam wont work if 1 in a triple SM team is smart enough to go ASM spam, that is, their mother, the apoth. then you best hope that their moms aint that smart.

everyone is playing techmarine and their mother is an apoth
    I lol'd. It wouldn't be funny if it weren't so true.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetMessiah
    I lol'd. It wouldn't be funny if it weren't so true.
    You guys gave me a lol. Its OVERRATED.

I would have thought the more effective counter to tac blobs for orks is mass stikk's + mec boy turrets. Or kommando nob stun 'nade followed by mass stick's.

Can't really say for sure, since I've played orks like...3 times? That screeching gretchin announcer makes me cringe every time it talks.

edit: Oh yeah, fun fact; an upgunned+nobbed shoota squad can give a tac squad a run for it's money with aimin' wots that, for comparable cost and still be cheaper to reinforce. Odd really that you don't see more of them. Guess the orks don't want to spend the power so they can push harder for their endless sea of looteds later.
    Last edited by swizzle1million; 19th Jul 09 at 8:54 PM.

The grot announcer for orks is the main reason I play.

"Da waaaarboss is LEVEL TENNNN!"

Anyways, I've found stikks are only useful for making marine blobs run around. I don't count on their damage, but they can break up the enemy so you can close into melee. That being said, stormboyz can break up the enemy and close quickly and kill marines once they're there. I think they're a stronger answer to serious blobbing, but their price makes them a bit of a liability. You have to attend to them pretty closely, and the marine player just has to stand still and he might still accidentally wipe them all.

Oh yeah, fun fact; an upgunned+nobbed shoota squad can give a tac squad a run for it's money with aimin' wots that, for comparable cost and still be cheaper to reinforce. Odd really that you don't see more of them. Guess the orks don't want to spend the power so they can push harder for their endless sea of looteds later.
    ehm wouldn't call 425/45 the same as 500/0. And they still lose vs. tacs if those have any upgrades. Reinforce is lower because they die at the drop of a hat against ranged AND melee(and you're boned when it hits the nob) while tacs simply never lose any members if they know what they are doing. Oh and 'aimin' wots that' completely nullifies their damage for a short time supression(so it's almost useless unless you have a second squad). Really don't know why you brought that up....

I just found it interesting. Left a single tac unattended vs a single shoota squad thinking they'd be fine, came back to find them at 300 health and dropping, suppressed, against the shootaz who were down 2 of their squaddies, but still going strong.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information