View Poll Results: What do you think is the best unit currently in 40k?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Space Marine Assualt Terminators

21 23.60%
  • Nob Bikers

18 20.22%

1 1.12%
  • Bloodcrushers

5 5.62%
  • Bloodthirster

0 0%
  • Great Unclean One

0 0%
  • Vanguards w/ jump pack, lightning claw, storm shields

6 6.74%
  • Carnifex

1 1.12%
  • Obliterators

4 4.49%
  • Slaanesh Daemon Prince with Lash of Submission

6 6.74%
  • Psyker Battle Squad

2 2.25%
  • Leman Russ Variant Squadrons

7 7.87%
  • Wraithlords

8 8.99%
  • Genestealers

10 11.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top 5 units of Warhammer 40k

Top 5 units of Warhammer 40k

Here is a idea that I came up with the other day, I have seen many threads like this and would like to talk about it for a second.

There are many cheesy or even crazy units in 5th edition but there's still the undeniable fact that they have weakness. So all in all I would like to make a list of units that would qualify as the top units of current 40k.

Here's the list that I will personally pick from, and the final will be decided by vote, please vote.

Space Marine Assault Terminators
    Slaanesh Daemon Prince with Lash of Submission
    Nob Bikers
    Bloodcrushers
    Bloodthirster
    Carnifex
    Psyker battle squad
    Obliterators
    Leman Russ squadrons
    Wraithlords
    Great Unclean one
    Vanguards with Storm Shields and Lightning Claw and Jump Packs

Nob bikers...w/ PAINBOY

Shudder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirmetrium
    Karon, you fucking rock man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazi
    fag eldar, holy fag marines, this(Relic) fags, imba fags, fag ig, fag game, fags

Vanguards! I love you Vanguard Veterans...

Blood Ravens & The Thousand Sons Player

go genestealers, go go genestealers.

personally out of nids i have been able to do far more with my stealers then with my fex. maybe i am doign something wrong but my fex gets tag teamed till he goes bye bye, and i hardly ever get him into battle. what gives?

SW Grey Hunters. All lushness of a tactical marine with the option of 2 special weapons, SW special rules, BP + CCW - combined with the low low price of a chaos space marine - wrapped in the awesomeness of a superhuman viking pisshead in space

Oh obilerators and sternguard are pretty neat as well.

Seriously though what do you mean by 'best'? Best looking? Best price (pts)? Best rules? Most characterful?
    I though what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes-The Laughing Man -J.D.Salinger
    I'm going to kill this dog. I just haven't decided how.
    -Kevin Kline

You left out the best unit in the game: eldar jetbike seer council.

Wraithlords? T8? Something wrong with that there. It's not as though spirit sight is an issue - what Eldar Army which takes Wraithlords goes without a Farseer in any case?

leonatos32
    LEMAN RUSS WOOOOOOOO!!

Where is the KEEPER OF SECRETS!??????? I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! (JK) WHERE ARE THE FLAMERS???? THEY CAN WIPE OUT ALL OF THESE IN 1 BREATH SALVO!?!?!?!??!!?!

I apologize for not having flamers, that was a mistake. Although have to admite that SW is gonna be big kicker.

11. Tabletop Senior Member  #11
    Professional Gunman Dooks Dizzo's Avatar
    Grey Hunters, Chaos Marines.

i dunno , i just woke up at the back of a hedge

Orks

WHAT About stormboyz, a very usefull unit
    "WE IZ GONNA SHOOT EM, STOMP EM ,NAIL EM, NICK DERE STUFF, DEN EAT EM." -WARBOSS GUTROT III

Grey Knight Terminators. Str 6 power weapons at initiative, 2+ save, move and shoot 36" psycannons, holocaust power, deep strike ability. I am biased though. There are a ton of "elite" units that are overall on par with one another. Of your list, TH/SS assault terminators are pretty broken as of right now. 2+/3+ and str 8 power weapon hits? This is a complete steal for the points you pay. Yeah initiative 1, so what. With their save it really doesn't matter that much.
    Last edited by SDK; 26th Sep 09 at 11:24 AM.

Asault Termies are damn scary to face. 3+ invuln saves and strength 8 ap 3 CC weapons? Ow...
    Apparently Margaret Thatcher just died of some exceptionally strong NORD WOMAN? > dies - robot me

Let's sail in this sea of charms
    Let's drown underneath the stars

AP 3 CC weapons???? I never heard of CC weapons having AP 3...

On the side note, It really depends when those units and HOW those units are used.

For example, I may have the deceiver against Assault Termies. No Saves of any kind. If they try to asssault Deceiver, RUN AWAY!!!

Similarly, A Slaanesh DP with Lash will get trounced in CC by other units in this list, however, working with Obliterators and other Pie Plates, you could use the DP to get them to gather in one clump, before dropping blasts on them. In this way, the DP can also be very powerful.

One final example. Bloodcrushers vs Nob Bikers. If bloodcrushers charge, crushers win. If Bikers charge, bikers win.
    Last edited by Wraithguard Fan; 29th Sep 09 at 4:20 AM.

AP 3 CC weapons???? I never heard of CC weapons having AP...

tyranid rending claws are based at an AP2

I think your all a bit confused, mostly because most of you probably haven't faced the Space Wolves Codex as much as I have, terror is this:

Drop Pod
    Wolf Priest
    Healing Potions and Salves
    5x Wolf Guard Bodyguard

All of them equiped with following: Runic Charm, Terminator Armor, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace (Optional), Bionics (Priest Only usually), Storm Shield (all except priest), Power Weapon (dosen't matter which)

This squad murders everything. Runic Charm allows an armor save to be rerolled if failed (once per game), making the terminators essentially two wounds against any non AP2/Power Weapon. The Wolf Pelts make it so that if you charge them, they get +2 attacks against you from Countercharge. Storm Shields only cost 5 points for wolves, and negate all your power weapons and AP2. The Drop Pod allows them to land right on top of you during turn 1, since its usually the only drop pod they take. The Healing Balms remove one wound, so even if you finally get past all their defenses, they still don't lose anyone!

To be fair, its what is about to be the 'old' Space Wolves codex. And thus probably not anywhere near as valid, or maybe not even possible anymore. But Ive been playing with 2 Wolves players who use this in about every list, and essentially dominate.

@ WitchKing umm... no...

Firstly, AP only applies to Shooting Weapons. For CC, you either get the Armour Save against this sort of weapon for all types of armour saves, or you don't no matter the armour save. Put it simply, a CC weapon is either a Power Weapon or it isn't.

Secondly, if Tyranid Rending Claws were based on AP 2, then they would easily ignore armour saves without the need to rend (Other than the wounding). I don't think you can SHOOT rending claws.
    If you don't roll a 6 on wounding, the enemy still gets to take his armour save, since the wound isn't a rending one.
    Even if CC weapons have AP, then Thunder Hammers would be AP 2, not 3 since they ignore Terminator Armour Saves too.

WitchKing, I think you should read the 5th Edition Rules clearly.

wraithlord, obliterators, vanguard and avatar are all horribly outclassed by anything in the list. they arent that powerful.
    Eldar in 5th Ed. A Tactica, by Xenith

"Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day. Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life" - Terry Pratchett

"That logic wouldn't apply to Space Marines because they are not hollow." - CFoley

Curses, I meant armour-save ignoring. Too much computer, not enough sleep.

Assault Termies hurt when they hit you, and they are almost invincible - seriously, railgun shots bounce off. I want some in my Marine army...

I still contend nothing beats an Eldar Jetlock seer council.

I contend that nothing beats the terribly OP thing that Dragoon said, but listen.

Nob Bikers, two wounds, ON BIKES, so turboboosting, etc. W/ Painboy, so FNP, and option of cybork bodies for all, so a 5+ invul save, along with there 4+ cover save w/ exhaust cloud rule. Aswell as T5 (not on instant death), and awesome other stats since I don't have my codex w/ me atm. Aswell as Feal No Pain, so 4+ (isnt it?) to negate wound.

I THINK WE HAVE A WINNAR?

You can run a squad of nob bikers off the table easily with Psyker battle squad.

Ithink this should be looking at each individual unit in terms of playing against every army, rather than just saying 'this choice could beat this choice'. Otherwise it will just turn into the 'Beat this unit' thread from a while ago, and be a huge game of rock paper scissors.

Yeah, why not start that challenge that never actually happened for real this time - have everybody put in a single unit, then battle them out like Dragoon is doing now with his Battle of Fate. It would be awesome.

You can run a squad of nob bikers off the table easily with Psyker battle squad.
    Culexus =)

I THINK WE HAVE A WINNAR?
    WINNAR WINNAR CHICKEN DINNAR

Nice Varellian, lol

So, really, how would you guys run a challenge like that? I mean, ultimately, there's gonna be that unit that will stand prime. I'll think it over, get it organized and get it up and running by thanksgiving.

I don't know how such a challenge could be done. For starters, is there a limit?

Is it a single unit? Because in my example the Wolf Priest alone isn't deadly, its the mass of power weapon attacks, mobility, and easily displaced AP2 attacks onto storm shields at a low price.

Is it shooting or assault? For 17 points you can have a BS4 Veteran with a meltagun, this unit will potentially kill units that cost far more than his worth, does that make him better? Khorne Berserkers would murder this same unit in close combat, but their strength isn't power weapons, but mass of attacks, power armor, and their inability to be forced out of combat.

Is there cover or not? A Ratling is a fairly competant unit when placed in cover, but useless if that cover is denied. Its also more useful in some sense on a unit with high T than one who has a low T, yet this isn't usually the case.

Range? Arrival method? Distance?

Etc.

Thus why id call it impossible to make, circumstances matter too much.

For points, I'd have to say Guard Veterans in Chimeras, closely followed by Grey Hunters.

Sure, there are alot of units that can put out alot more hurt and take alot more damage, but for flexibility and cost efficiency I couldn't be happier to base the core of my army on either of those units.

So, really, how would you guys run a challenge like that?
    Take 500pts of each unit, and make them all face off against a few standardised armies. the ones that get 'man of the match' most often, win.

Its easy to say that Nobs<psyker battle squad, but psykers < vanguard < nobz.

See what I mean?

for overall value = Nob bikers
    DemonKnight

It cost money to war, so get your funds up

@ WitchKing umm... no...

Firstly, AP only applies to Shooting Weapons. For CC, you either get the Armour Save against this sort of weapon for all types of armour saves, or you don't no matter the armour save. Put it simply, a CC weapon is either a Power Weapon or it isn't.

Secondly, if Tyranid Rending Claws were based on AP 2, then they would easily ignore armour saves without the need to rend (Other than the wounding). I don't think you can SHOOT rending claws.
    If you don't roll a 6 on wounding, the enemy still gets to take his armour save, since the wound isn't a rending one.
    Even if CC weapons have AP, then Thunder Hammers would be AP 2, not 3 since they ignore Terminator Armour Saves too
    well duh yeah you have to get the six for the rending to take effect. i know that but on pg 31 of the minirules book it states for rending:

"any roll of a 6 with a rending weapon automatically causes a wound, regardless of the targets's toughness, and counts as AP2."

i think you need to re-read the rules wraithguard. thank you very much.

"any roll of a 6 to wound with a rending weapon automatically causes a wound, regardless of the targets's toughness, and counts as AP2."
    Fixed. But ya Witchking is right. When a weapon has rending whether it's shooting or melee it's AP2 when a 6 is rolled to wound.

If genestealers are good, then aren't daemonettes better? aren't seekers better?

@ WitchKing (I hope this issue ends here )
    ONLY WHEN a 6 is rolled would rending count as AP 2, that I agree. A better phrasing would have been ignore armour saves, however, they do not want you to question if it counts as AP1 against vehicles, so they count it as AP 2. Saying that they are BASED at AP 2 is fallacious, since you would be implying that they will ignore armour saves even when a 6 isn't rolled. I was attacking your statement, not the rules itself, since the way you put it made it sound as if Rending Claws always ignore Armour Saves. I do not need to re-read the rules, I also know of that section in the rulebook. Anyway, I hope this issue is resolved, we have digressed enough..

@ Question: Fiends of Slaanesh are the best for the renders, too bad they have no Aura of Aquiscience (AKA no Grenades ) 5 base rending attacks, fleet, beast... and 30 points each

Unfortunately, I will not be polling since my favourite units (Flamers, KOS, Fiends etc.) are not there for me to have a dilema... Wait, maybe I SHOULD vote...
    Last edited by Wraithguard Fan; 29th Sep 09 at 4:18 AM.

teawolf
    in the emporors name
    Space Marine Assualt Terminators

If genestealers are good, then aren't daemonettes better?
    Daemonettes have less toughness and strength, so no. :P

Sisters of Battle aren't on, so I cannot vote. Drat.
    What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side

Thunderwolves are the best for Renders.

S5, T5, I4, 4 Attacks, potential for a 3+/3++ Save.

I would say that seekers are better renders then fiends. They have 4 base and the same stateline other than that. Also they are 17pts.

Seekers are S3, T3 only. Fiends are S5 T 4

Honestly, I would have to say for sheer point to damage ratio in CC I would have to take the Genestealers... But of course even with fleet, all you need is a poor roll, and when combined with their low saves and average toughness they will get obliterated at range... so, as a Tau, and a Tyranid player I can without a doubt understand why people would argue against their bid as "best." As far as the Carnifex I believe it is the "best" single model in the game for it's high toughness, many wounds, good to great armor save, and more important than anything else their mutability to serve a given situation. And as I have mentioned earlier I love the fear in an opponents eyes when one is put on the table.
    Thanks.

When you smell a carnifex, you smell cheese. Unfortunately, Carnifexes now suck at CC (Even Godfexes) Shooty Fexes are gay.

Oh yeah, teh best render is Skulltaker!!!! 4+ to rend, instant kill...

Leman Russ Variant Squadrons
    When I saw this on the poll, I just had to sort of go 'huh'?

Now, don't get me wrong, the Leman Russ is an essential part of every guard army. I doubt ive ever had a list that dosen't include at least one now. But the darn thing is far too vulnerable to meleers and meltas of any type to have it considered a top unit.

The threat of 9 Russes is staggering, tis true, but that assumes you would field em in squadreons anyways. Ive certainly never done so, and ive fielded Basilisk varient squads. Mostly because it would plant a giant 'target' on the darn things, and then a single assault would kill 2 Russes for ~425 pts instead of one for ~210.

Its also silly to take sometimes when the other Heavy Support choices are so viable also. The Mantacore and Basilisk teams are both really strong contenders for a Heavy Support slot too.

I agree with that Dragoon, but hell, you never know, alot of people love it. I dont myself. I like the executioner and the vanilla but that's about it. Also, I'm more talking about all the variants at the same time instead of just the vanilla one.

Anywho, I would like to ask what is a godfex? I'm know a dakkafex.... but a godfex?

A godfex is usually just a massively beefed up CC fex with Crushing Claws and all sorts of defensive crap and stat modifiers. Can easily go up to 250+ Points. Including Regenerate, Ext Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Bonded Exoskele etc...

Anyway, a Russ List will easily get raped by shooty Nidzilla lists.

I think I've figured out how to get the discussed challenge to work.

There will be 3 tiers:
    single model
    multi-model unit (a.k.a squad, brood etc.)
    Vehicle (1 vehicle per choice)

In tier 1 and 2, there is no points limit. In tier 3, the unit must be a maximum of 500 pts.

These will then fight, the fighting system being similar to Dragoon's battle of fate.

Just an outline, but what do you think?
    Last edited by OhJohnNo; 5th Oct 09 at 10:45 AM.

I like it. If I organize it, who's in?

Im certainly in for something like my challenge Chosen, although id warn ya it was more time consuming to do then I expected.

As far as Russes go though, I agree, I find the MBT and Executioner to be the two most generally useful varients. I always throw Plasma sponsons on them, and they do good long range damage on just about any infantry out there as long as you don't scatter horribly. The only amusing part of a squadron is that you can essentially use one russ to cover another russ, thus granting a cover save, while not denying line of sight. Ive only done that with 2 vanilla russes though to keep it from being such a juicy target.

I'm totally in Chosen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information