The Farseer Last Stand Topic

The Farseer Last Stand Topic

I feel a dedicated Farseer Last Stand strategy topic is order. In this post, I’m describing my setup, why I believe it works and why I feel other builds don’t work. This is an opinion only and can’t wait to hear about other successful builds.

My main strategy as Farseer

There are 3 routes to go with the Farseer: Melee, Support , Half and Half

I have chosen the Support strategy and build for when I play Last Stand. Over all other builds, this load out allows for my Farseer to do three things, which I deem the 3 most important principles of the Last Stand:

1. Provide support for the teammates
    2. Keep myself alive in every scenario
    3. Gives offensive support

I think every Last Stand player should keep these principles in mind when designing their character. Many people already understand that it’s important to Give Offensive support and I applaud them for that. However, many players aren’t building their characters as to keep themselves alive in every scenario. I see ranged builds without some form of escape (examples, ranged ork without teleport or bouncy shield, a Tank SM without any mobility). When mobs come swarming, players need to be mobile AND keep themselves alive.

Specifically to the Farseer, I have yet to find a melee build that meets all 3 principles. She doesn’t have HP regen, HP+ items, and has low armor. I cannot find any possible combinations to survive mob swarms and keep meleeing. And if you go half and half, you’re still weak at melee AND have little support to offer due to low energy regen. That’s why I fully support Support (har har).

So, the Support Strategy…This is what I wear at level 20:
    Witchblade of Isha
    Pistol of the Warseer
    Amor of Vaul
    Runes of Harlequin
    Runes of Deception
    Runes of Fortune
    Spirit Stone of Vigor

At early levels (1-6), yes, the Farseer is somewhat useless. She doesn’t offer much offensive support, but she can survive all the mobs and can go toe to toe via melee. Your teammates will do most of the killing; however, if you and your teammates are worth a damn, no one is worried until 10+. At 10 and beyond, the strategy is to keep everyone fortuned and spam confuse. With 1.6 energy regen and 75 mp, you can do this easily. When mobs are thick, target the heavier units with confuse. If your teammates are tanks, run through the middle and to the outside of mobs to draw fire. The Swift from the Pistol of Warseer allows you to keep running without being touched at all. The Armor of Vaul and fortune allows you to take plenty of damage. Spam confuse and fortune, draw fire, and even melee some weaker ranged units. Those pesky Rocket Orks on the skirt of the mobs are your responsibility. Tie them up so your tanks can survive longer. If you have Ranged Jumping teammates (tele Ork and jumpy SM), fortune them and let them do their thing. Keep spamming confuse.

If you get into trouble, a teammates dies, or you are alone, cast conceal. It’ll last 10 seconds and takes 13 to cooldown. Chill in conceal while spamming confuse. Once conceal dissipates, run until you can cast conceal again (and this is possible because of Swift, Fortune, and Armor of Vaul). Work down the mob until you can get to your teammate to revive him. Cast conceal over him, get concealed, cast confuse then revive. Rinse and repeat till 20!.

Some might argue that the FS isn’t doing enough. I sometimes feel that way too. However, each character has their own role to play. Tanks tank, Ranged picks off enemies, you soak up dmg, dance, and confuse. It’s a team effort – not a Tank damage fest.

My current setup at level 20 and why:

Weapon Setup:

Witchblade of Isha
    Why: The Witchblade of Isha offers +.03 energy regeneration and an extra 25 energy. Since my main tactic is to spam spells, I heavily require lots of energy and energy regeneration. I
    Why not: I’m not meleeing, so that rules Withblade of Crone and the Singing Spear out. The Warp Blade is fun and might be useless, but the +.03 reg and +25 energy is more viable for spamming spells.

Pistol of the Warseer
    Why: There are two reasons to grab the Pistol of the Warseer for my tactic. First, the Swift ability keeps your Farseer as fast as any unit on the field. This piece of wargear increases her survivability by allowing you to distance yourself from chasing mobs and weave in and out to draw fire for teammate tanks. The second reason to get the Warseer Pistol is that the other two grant abilities that are neigh useless in late game.
    Why not: The Pistol of the Doomseer grants a psychic blast that provides excellent early game support but is shrugged off by units level 13+. The Levitation field from the Pistol of the Skyseer doubles as a great way to kill yourself and your enemies. You are completely vulnerable during its cast. Doubling it with War is possible yet the energy cost is 35 per usage – making it castable only a few times before you are drained.

Armor Setup:

Amor of Vaul
    Why: With 186 armor, the Armor of Vaul is the only viable option when equipping armor. This
    ignores suppression and keeps the Farseer alive much better than any other armor. The only other armor that can compare is the Armor of Eldanesh, however, the energy drain with the Bubble isn’t compatible spam casting.
    Why not: The Rune Armor and Ghost Helm are simply lol. You’ll die in an instant. The Armor of Eldanesh offers a great Bubble spell, but it will run out quickly. The key to this armor is keeping your Farseer alive in order to support with spells, draw fire, and survive. No other armor provides enough to make me consider another option.

Accessories Setup:

Runes of the Harlequin
    Why: Confuse. If you’ve been reading the boards at all, you’ll know by now that Confuse, confuse, confuse is the best ability for the Farseer. It’s energy cost is low, the cooldown is small, and its impact is immeasurable. Make your enemies fight themselves! This draws fire away from you and your teammates, drains enemy health and ultimately kills ultra baddies in mobs that even the toughest tank should never touch. This ability alone is THE BEST offensive (and practically the only) spell the Farseer has to offer.

Runes of Fortune
    Why: Another ultra energy cheap, 2(?) second cooldown spell that increases survivability of all teammates. Fortune keeps everyone alive longer, allowing enemies to pick themselves off (with confuse) and your teammates to pick enemies off if the mob is too strong.

Runes of Deception
    Why: This one is up for debate. If your teammates don’t die (and those are the best type of teammates), you may not need to this ability. If however someone messes up, the mob will sent upon the lonely Farseer and no single Farseer can handle a full level 18 mob by Tanking or Psychic Bolting. Conceal increases survivability for you and is a great way to inch your way to teammates to revive. Casting Coneal over a dead teammate allows you to revive someone without being seen. Chain casting Coneal with Confuse can allow the Farseer to solo almost any mob. You just need plenty of Energy Regen.

Why not: The Rune of Fleetness is wasted ability for support and melee builds. With Swift and +30% melee and reflexes coming from the Pistol of the Warseer, ignore Fleet of Foot. Runes of Vigor is crucial if you’re a caster. I’d swap Rune of Fortune for Vigor to keep your energy regen high IF you don’t have the Spirit Stone of Vigor. But mind you, this my level 20 build. Level 19 and below, keep Vigor instead of Fortune for spell casting sake.

Runes of War, Runes of Evasion, Runes of and Wrath are viable for melee builds only (but you know my feelings on a Farseer melee, just garbage).

Confuse trumps the Runes of the Spider’s Entangle. Just use confuse.

Group teleport is very, very, very useful. If you can make it work instead of conceal, use it. But I prefer conceal for the reviving/ confuse chains.

Commander Accessory:

Spirit Stone of Vigor
    Why: This wargear is only available at level 20. I use this so that I can free up an Accessory slot and provide +.03 energy regen for my teammates.
    Why not : I use the Eldrich Storm up until level 19. The Spirit Stone compliments this current build better. Mass is confuse, but it's a 50 energy shot for only a momentary period of time. Regular confuse targets one group and is almost a guaranteed kill on higher levels.

Thanks for reading. Thoughts?

i can´t believe that you did not bring up runes of the warp they make the game much easier see here: http://forums.relicnews.com/showpost...1&postcount=31

edit: sorry did not read your last paragraph

Excellent post! As a farseer I found it very useful.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

Good post. I disagree with some particulars though.

* I find the Farseer to be the best low level hero. The Mek is limited by poor starting accessories and the Captain can choose either a poor man's shoota or melee-without-mobility. I got to wave 18 on a level 2 farseer, simply because many of her best items were already available.

* You seem to use Conceal primarily as an emergency tool. It's great at this, but it can do more. It's a great way to start the early part of a wave, particularly if you are NOT using the Armor of Vaul. Arguably wave-start is the best time to use confuse, it's just difficult because the enemies are so spread out.

* Melee seer is possible but I find you need to use the Singing Spear. This works best when paired with a Rumbla-mek - most enemies will be helpless and unable to fight back, including walkers. The best part about using the spear is that it increases your special attack chance to 10%, and the Farseers special is pretty awesome. Obviously you still want to have some spells, though getting enough energy or regen can be a pain.

The 'speedy assassin' (swift-pistol + damage sword) does more damage (according to the DPS numbers) and has the advantage of speed, but I dunno. Being able to outrun opponents is one thing, but in most instances when you really need to get away it's because you're getting knockback-spammed. In those cases, resisting the knockbacks will help you a lot more. The spear also means you can't get your teleports interrupted.
    Last edited by TheDeadlyShoe; 17th Oct 09 at 3:24 AM.
    Remember: you're a blogger. Pretense is your co-pilot.

Eldritch bolt pistol dominates lower levels. Insta-gibs entire squads if used properly.

Also, important note on using Eldritch Storm. Walkers ignore the storm knockback, whch means they will close to melee range. You can't be hurt while storming, but you will be critically vulnerable right after the storm finishes. You should only storm while in close proximity of a walker if you have no other choice. Using Confuse right before Storm can decrease the danger, but of course that's 65 energy in one go (which is a lot).

You can also be vulnerable if you place a storm far from yourself, since regular melee enemies will be able to close.

I actually find melee farseer to be very good and twice reached 20 wave with her.

20.0 DPS blade paired with the swift pistol that also gives +30% damage and the accesory that gives +40% damage makes for quite the damaging platform, all you have to worry about is to not be the main target of attacks, but that is very easy to do with either confuse, teleport or even ward for a slight moment. As for ranged offense the Eld Storm is still there to frag away
    My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Akagi_Ryu/
    Ruined:FYI on the bug fixing front a Steam patch can be applied in a matter of hours, most of which involve making coffee, chatting about the latest season of Survivor and pressing the upload button.

Anybody know what combat master rune does? I see no change in my stats when i equip it.
    Originally Posted by Worf
    You know, I would tell you lot to get a life. Except that would be quite some hypocrisy coming from a gaming board administrator.

That's the accesory that gave 40% aditional ranged and melee damage i was talking about ^_^

ah- nice. I was thinking it was that one- but whenever I equip it I see no stat changes

Same thing happens with the Farseers pistol and the SM pistol. Hamsterminator. It's a bug.
    I don't know what i'm talking about, ignore me.

Thousands of years ago, Egyptians worshipped what would become our ordinary housecat. The cats have never forgotten this.

Check 'traits', under abilities.

Yeah, it's not a bug. The game just for some reason doesn't calculate the aditional % in the equipment screen.

Yeah, it's not a bug. The game just for some reason doesn't calculate the aditional % in the equipment screen.
    Hang on a minute it increases the damage but fails to list it. How is that NOPT a bug.

Check 'traits', under abilities.
    I'm aware of that. I'm reffering to it's failure top registor any changes in actual hard numbers.

Speaking of bugs but remaining on the farseer topic, has anyone noticed sometimes their abilities remain after changing their wargear? Ive swapped wargear a few times between attempts and noticed, either it didnt change at all, or it did change and I kept my old abilities... For example, swapped confuse for second strike buff and swapped fortune for evasion rune, but when restart came I had those abilities and seemingly the traits of the new runes (although its hard to tell if youre evading alot or not)

Oh that's not only for the Farseer. All heroes have trouble during changing wargear, or actually, ANY changes in general.

I swear my Captain is glued to Brazen Claw's color theme, despite my honest attempts to change it. For some reason it comes back every several games. It's driving me insane, especially since I don't even like that color and took it only once for the "lolz I'm pink and blue" factor.

@Carl: I'd say that's mor eof lazyness in programming than an actual bug. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it would be nice if it was patched so that we can know just how uber our farseer is

I swear my Captain is glued to Brazen Claw's color theme, despite my honest attempts to change it. For some reason it comes back every several games. It's driving me insane, especially since I don't even like that color and took it only once for the "lolz I'm pink and blue" factor.
    I have that problem too - I picked the (mostly black) Raven Guard colors for my SM captain, and he always shows up as some red guy.

18. Child's Play Donor  #18
    The Warp Spear is now my favourite piece of Farseer kit. It's damage isn't paricularly impressive but it has a 15% chance of special attack coupled with a faster attack speed than the Singing Spear. It also grants the Warp Throw ability, which allows you to pull a unit and anything nearby it towards you for a measly 5 energy. It doesn't have the power of the other weapon based abilities but it does allow you more control over the battlefield. Like pulling those pesky tankbusters into melee with your ally's dreadnought.
    'All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled with sober senses, his real conditions in life, and his relations with his kind.'

I am only playing Farseer. But at the moment Farseer is very versatile for me. So many diff build. To maximise , have to see what other team is using what kind of build.

Levitation is good. If used with Conceal , fastest mana regen. Cause while levitating, u can also cast spells on urself. Like reduced damage or invulrn. But it just takes some micro. So many kinds of build.

Conceal n Teleport is my fav wargear atm. ;p

Also as far as I'm aware, the farseer is the only hero that can be immune to both knockback and suppression AND damage (for a limited time but still) while teleporting around or running very very fast.

To hell with stats but that is quite the resilient combination if i do say so myself...

Thread Information