Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

[TV/Lit] A Song of Ice and Fire (HBO's "Game of Thrones")

1. Homeworld Senior Member  #451
    What a time to jump in on this, bought the boardgame and now I'm going through the first book

The game is based on Diplomacy but there's more to it than that, and not as drawn-out. When I broke open my copy this past Tuesday we did two three player games and there was hardly any diplomacy. We had a Stark victory around turn 7 and a Baratheon victory by turn 10 (most strongholds). I wouldn't say it's hard to learn, but learning the particular nuances of the orders (such as how star orders work, what their exceptions) are probably the hardest part of the game.

As with other games like this (risk), there could come a time where players hesitate before attacking their opponents in fear of loosing strength and looking weak for anyone not doing the fighting. This is where the diplomacy comes in.

The strongest critique of the game so far seems to be that it's unbalanced with four players. This might be fixed by switching around the starting players (replacing Greyjoy with house Tyrell?) That and it cannot recreate the situation in the books exactly. But there's only so much you can recreate in a game.

A slight teaser into the next season,

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...lys-armor.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kirjava
    The new edition of the game is 3-6 players (Lannister, Stark, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Tyrell and Martell).
    Wow, didn't know that. I don't own the boardgame, have been playing my friend's first edition, but I've been planning to buy the new one, and now I have a genuine reason to do so!

As for game lenght, I think it just varies greatly from game to game. It's never short, but I once managed to win quite fast by making an early alliance with another player and then instantly taking enough cities in a single turn.

New Trailer just got released, and I think this one is even better than the ones for season 1

Love the new trailer. And from what my brother told me, its very fitting for the season// book its based on?

I want to just fast forward 2 months and then one week intervals so I can watch it NAO!
    "We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
    Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
    Formerly DarkelfLord

7. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #457
    Just watched the 'Fight Stunts' video on the GoT Youtube channel and the stuntmaster says it gets "grittier". Has he seen his own work on season 1?!? And they're making it grittier?!?

Doltmarines, for the Emprah: the place to play Dawn of War: Soulstorm
    "The ecosystem! We destroy that and this is ovah! CHAAAARGE!" - Lomax
    Blood and Balls: come and play Blood Bowl in the RelicNews Doltathon!
    "I'd probably lose my shit if I saw a mushroom with a mouth, eyes, and legs walking toward me in real life. That doesn't make me afraid to play Mario." - Starblade

i'm the parasitic quintuplets that live in your spleen. your spleen is in Buenos Aires.
    worse than that kirjava, he didn't say "grittier", he said "gritty". now compute that taking the assumption that he didn't consider season 1 gritty at all...
    I'm short and misanthropic. I'll bite your nipples off.

9. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #459
    Well that's just brilliant. Isn't it brilliant everyone?

If the whole "April 1st" thing for season 2 turns out to be a joke then winter will come, people will hear me roar and the HBO people will drown in fire and blood. Because I really can't fucking wait.
    Egregious Professor Of Cruel And Unusual Geography

I'm with you Rince. Ours shall be the fury, and we'll blow them as high as FUCK!
    "All power demands sacrifice" - Sindri Myr

12. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #462
    I volunteer to meter out the pain should they mock us with a false start. Being a hairy northman it seems appropriate.

13. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member  #463
    See i knew i would get hooked on this shit if i gave it a shot.. but of course, i gave it a shot. And now i'm hooked. Hooray!

Socrates: To be is to do.
    Sartre: To do is to be.
    Sinatra: Do be do be do.

What he actually said was "we're getting gritty". Getting.

15. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #465
    My point! Getting! As if what we'd had up til now was an episode of My Little Pony in comparison O.o

In other GoT news, I met up with Scoiatollo and Arinax again last night, and we had an entertaining session of the GoT board game, which I won as Tyrell after a frankly devastating backstab to Arinax's Baratheon forces. I'm still immensely pleased with myself. Gloat gloat gloat.

16. Child's Play Donor  #466
    I can remember almost quietly getting away with 7 castles as Tyrell without anyone noticing it on New Years day, were it not for you not explaining all of the rules in detail resulting in me losing, Kir.
    The Dark one has Arrived.

i'm the parasitic quintuplets that live in your spleen. your spleen is in Buenos Aires.

19. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #469
    Should also mention the previous one, in case someone missed it:

The land beyond the Wall is considerably more arctic than I imagined it, maybe for a better contrast against the civilised North?
    One step closer to the end of the decadent Eldar race.
    [...] the reason we don’t like DRM solutions is because they punish the innocent and they have to jump through all these hoops. We don’t want to do that [...]

So pumped for the new season, I hope my body is ready.
    Also, I must get the boxset:

» Initiate a tactical withdrawal! «

21. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #471
    Just over a week until we kick off season 2...

This isn't necessarily related to Game of Thrones but this seemed the best place to post it: why are American television show schedules so erratic? Take House for instance. 6-13-20 Feb, one a week, just as it should be. Then... a wait of a month for the next ep. Then two weeks for the one after. Big Bang Theory: every week until 23 Feb then a two week break, then an episode, then a three week break. What's up with the schizophrenic scheduling?

22. General Discussions Senior Member  #472
    terrible, terrible damage Starfisher's Avatar
    I finally bought all the episodes on Amazon and I was mightily impressed. Very good adaptation, oftentimes I found it much better than the books (you can show a scene that takes 20 pages to describe in ten seconds, awesome).

Now my undying hate-rage is directed at HBO for offering no way for me to see the second season on my PC unless I:

1) Buy cable (which I don't have)
    2) Subscribe to HBO
    3) Do some cryptic signup step where I verify #1
    THEN I can watch it on my PC.

Fucking christ. I'd gladly pay $5 or more an episode to watch it the day after it airs. Hell, do the math and figure out how much you need to charge to completely ignore cable companies and TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY HBO. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

23. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #473

24. General Discussions Senior Member  #474
    Heh, yeah. I discovered that comic as I was raging around the internet trying to figure out if I could somehow subscribe to HBO just for game of thrones. I really like the New Zealand variant.

As usual, content distributors are fighting reality and progress tooth and nail. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to make friends with someone who has HBO.

Starfisher I feel for you. I'm in the same situation, but of course I'll get around it. That's all I'll say except for this - there needs to be a distribution system which is global and immediate. Unfortunately, there already is one, but the networks and hollywood 'smartest guys in the room' ignored it, and now can't make money out of it.

26. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #476
    First season DVDs arrived today. Early again (as with ADwD), but only by one day this time.
    Didn't tune in when the (dubbed) show aired on ad-supported TV last week, but ratings where good enough anyway. No opportunity to watch more than a few minutes, gave the box to my sister instead to get her hooked as well

27. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #477
    Sooo... can anyone help re: my query on American tv scheduling above?

I always guessed it was due to sporting events, baseball and football mostly right?

Some new stuff about new characters/actors in season 2: The cast seems well chosen, except maybe Stannis. I dunno, I guess I imagined him as more grim and tough and less... old?I especially like the actor choices for Melisandre, Davos and Margaery. We'll see about their performance, but they seem to fit their characters really well.
    Last edited by Malachi; 30th Mar 12 at 3:41 AM.

i always imagined stannis as looking more or less like the guy they casted as davos

Honestly, I think one of the un-sung actors of the whole show if the kid who plays Joffrey. His ability to make you absolutely hate his character without even speaking is a plus to his acting ability.

True, really high acting skills for such a young lad.

----------

Also, my most anticipated scene in the new season is definitely

Spoiler

33. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #483
    A character featurette without the Maiden of Tarth? >:(
    I imagined Stannis with even less hair and harder facial features, a less likable face mayhaps. The Halfhand is excellent, looks the legend he is.

Well, sporty, Brienne only has a brief, episodic appearance in the 2nd book, so that's probably why. And yes, I imagined Stannis similarily.

35. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #485
    Something along those lines applies to some of those featured characters as well...

Yeah, Margeary specifically I guess. Although I think they're giving her some more time in the highlight in the show than she had in the books, judging from the teasers.

37. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #487
    By the Old Gods and the New, I'm excited!

The 3 characters I liked the most are the sword fighter, the little girl he trained, anya? and the wildling woman towards the end.
    Didnt care much about sean benns character since whatever he gets a role in he always dies.

Oh and easily my most hated character is the new king, I absolutly despise his face, his eyes just looks so evil.

39. General Discussions Senior Member  #489
    Finished my novels reread.

1-3 are awesome.

4 and 5 are utter shit.

I really hopes he pulls it together for the next book... but oh well. Three years before the series either gets cancelled or turns into total crap.

4 and 5 are utter shit? Meh, I'd say the 4th is pretty good, and the 5th might be boring here and there, but is still a good read.

i like how something that's arguably not as good as the previous iterations (which 99% of the time will be subjective to every individual member of the audience) is instantly "utter shit".

4,5 were the weakest books of the collection due to the disjointed way they were written when compared to the first 3. While 4 and 5 had some important revelations, they focused on characters no one cared about, Asha and Cersai for example.

43. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #493
    Thought everyone wants to see Cersei dead, doesn't this count as "to care about"?

So, if I got this right then the new season started yesterday, anyone here seen it yet?

no one, except for, you know, those of us who actually liked the characters, few as we may appear to be. taste is relative, yanno?

45. General Discussions Senior Member  #495
    i like how something that's arguably not as good as the previous iterations (which 99% of the time will be subjective to every individual member of the audience) is instantly "utter shit".
    Read them all at once. The difference is striking. And yes, 4 and 5 are "utter shit" compared to the first three.

potential book spoilers

Last edited by Starfisher; 2nd Apr 12 at 2:36 PM.

46. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #496
    I am worried that unlike the producers of The Inbetweeners TV series, George will not see the point at which A Song of Ice and Fire has ran its course.

That or I am just personally yearning for closure on an otherwise good series of books (and I do not consume insane amounts of literature so when I read through all those books it's obviously something I think worth it, saying that I read The Flood Halo novel sooo...).

Nurizeko, I'm just hoping he finishes it before he dies of heart failure

48. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member  #498
    Indeed. And alot of the ills of those novels(that i have not read) can probably be cured with some creative script work!

Right?

Questionable whether or not he has a heart to begin with :3

Anyone else see the premier? The difference in budget is painfully evident between season 1 and 2. DIRE WOLVES, SQWEEEEE
    DoW II - Saunders
    CoH - CommanderNewbie

50. General Discussions Senior Member  #500
    TBH it depends on where he goes with the next book.

not really spoilers, but you never know

Last edited by Starfisher; 2nd Apr 12 at 2:38 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information