Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Art Spam XXI - PEANUTS.

I think it adds a little something to the effect of the picture; it looks a little more, I don't know, real?

Whoop de do and so it happened :>

And the mantis shrimp said "Let there be light!"

And there was death.

" 'scuse me, coming through. "
    "You're worse than the Beast! At least the Beast doesn't pretend to be righteous!"

It would appear I've fallen in love with Surrealism. Again.
    Here's a couple of unfinished works.

I deviate from time to time.

nyyt and I started a collab during a session of boredom and weakness on irc. We had no theme, so we used some idea generator which came up with "perky amazon in a looming fortress". We took turns of about 20 minutes per session, and this is how it turned out, as well as some of the steps on the way. Most props should go to nyyt for this one, I have some levelling up to do before next collab. :P

Open in new tab for full pic.
    » Initiate a tactical withdrawal! «

That's very cool ^

Anyways, here's something I prepared earlier:

Sweet video Vijil. How does Sketchbook Pro compare to photoshop, in your opinion?

Really depends what you use it for.

SBP has vastly better pen "feel". The lines just seem to go where I want them more and never get that jaggedy look you get in PS. Not sure how else to describe it other than to say the brush and line engine is significantly more advanced. It also has a built in live symmetry feature which makes things like drawing orthographics and top/front views of objects much much easier.

That said, it doesn't have much in the way of layer blending options (no overlay or colour) and is very limited in terms of brushes and brush controls. So I would say that SBP is much better for drawing, while Photoshop is much better for colouring and painting. I often draw in SBP and then colour in PS.

quick colour...

10. The Studio Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #510

Livestream result

Steps

Talros, dammit, get camstudio and make a video of yourself working. Or so help me I will eat your brains.

Livestream depends too much on timezones

13. The Studio Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #513
    dayum, that's very nice talros. Are you sure you weren't on the Homeworld concept artist team?

Talros, are you sure you weren't on the wipeout design team? Because that is very nice, and slightly familiar.

15. Homeworld Senior Member  #515
    Your night worstmare. Dimension's Avatar
    Talros, are you sure you weren't on the make my pants explode with delight design team? Because... nevermind

<3

16. The Studio Senior Member  #516
    +1 nuff said

C-c-c-c-combo breaker. (^This guy)

18. The Studio Senior Member  #518
    I'm off to Mexico until July so no more arts from me. :'( But I'll be back someday.

Suddenly Dapper Martians! Trizzdog's Avatar
    Things slowing down up in 'ere. Oh well.

Problem summoner?

Definition of "a f***ing pain in the arse": Fizz

Here be one unfinished, and I don't intend to finish it,
    at least not any time soon because I can't stand to look at it anymore!

Talros I just wanted to offer a quick critique because I liked your Homeworldish ships so much.
    Great speedy execution, but there's just one issue I can't get past: the ships seem anchored to the background a little too much. Perhaps it's the detail in the background that makes it look like they are sitting on the ground, or really close to the ground, whereas the secondary ship's perspective, and the exhaust indicate they are in high velocity. Perhaps it's the similar brush sizes for the subject and the background that's creating this issue as well? Or perhaps it's just the similar tones. Anyway, thanks for that illustration, it's awesome!

I think it's the lack of atmospheric haze (and really, in space you wouldn't expect any). With no fading of contrast or colors or a general lightness of background, people have a hard time separating distant objects from close ones.

26. Boardwars Senior Member  #526
    OMAE WA MO SLAMDEIRU Master Chief's Avatar
    Painting of a knight fighting a big monster guy

Come on and slam and welcome to the jam

Skrillex wooooo!

Double posting, like a baws.

baws

I maded a bonneville:

31. The Studio Senior Member  #531
    Kali, I like your second one!

Cool car, Vij, how long did it take you?

I guess about two weeks total, staring at about 1 hour a day and ramping up to about 7 hours a day by the last couple. I like modeling
    Last edited by Vijil; 12th Apr 12 at 9:53 PM.

33. Homeworld Senior Member  #533
    Your night worstmare. Dimension's Avatar
    Finally there's something happening here again

Nice work Kalimac and Vijil! Since when are you modeling btw?

Been lead modeler at a studio for the last year - studied 3D in 08 and 09

Cutie mark crusaders photo study thingy yaaay.

Loving the car Vijil, vintage designs are always sexy.

Sorry Jopax, you're getting too good too quickly. Soon people will have to start throwing money at you for this heresy.

Well, have some more then :P

A bit of a development of the guy up there, the mount and the giant blade are more for show than real combat, this dude is just a messenger of sorts

Couldn't find the 40k thread on the first page, so eh.

Awesome side guys !
    Some space vessels

41. The Studio Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #541
    Dang. so much digital art that's so good. you guys make me want to break out my tablet again

but the pen is a bit broken :

here. have a WiP

Nice bottom. Ew!

But seriously, pencils are always good. I don't use them enough myself.

Suddenly Dapper Martians! Trizzdog's Avatar
    It's kind of funny, I've drawn on the tablet so much I can't really use a pen or pencil for drawing like I used to. If I make a mistake with traditional mediums, I break down and whimper on the floor, going HOW DO I UNDO!

Oh, and drawing in general. I should get on that. Do more of it.

It's funny, the other day I realised that I've given up. As in, given up on ever getting a job as a concept artist on a sci fi production which was always my dream. I'm just not good enough, not improving fast enough. Meanwhiles the standard is rising faster than I'm improving anyway. And so somewhere along the line I just stopped trying. I really noticed it when I turned down a chance to hang out with some of the concept artists from Weta the other day because I didn't see the point - six months ago I would have jumped at it.

Nowadays I'm just doing what 3D freelance work I can scrounge after quitting my previous job only to have the replacement job fall through and being unable to easily find anything else.

Why the fuck did I choose this industry, seriously. Wishing I'd done something normal. They say follow your dreams no matter what but I'm wishing I hadn't.

So anyways. Downbuzz post is a downbuzz
    Last edited by Vijil; 3rd May 12 at 1:09 AM.

45. Homeworld Senior Member  #545
    I hear you Vijil. Our own Rob Cunningham inspired me to become a concept artist as well, and for many years I was moving in that direction to just keep illustrating and building my portfoilo. Then I hear concept artists are not in a lot of demand, and usually fulfilled by other members of a team who have other jobs as well. Now I seem to be steering for User-Interface design, since my background and training in Graphic Design helps that. Though I'm also hoping to be an art asset creator as well.

Haha sorry guys just had to vent a bit there (feeling much better for it)

Yup, if I hadn't studied 3D I'd be working in a bank somewhere. That said I almost wish I still was, work conditions are so rubbish in CG. 90% short term contract, no job security, pretty measly pay unless you make the top 5% or so, no benefits, loads of people who can replace you so no need for the company to try hard to retain you etc. etc. - it's a natural result of an industry seen as glamorous to work in.

Sucks. Worth it? I dunno. Maybe. I've done pretty well in may ways. I'm tempted to get a normal job part time while I work on stuff as a hobby or potential business of my own.

Maybe I'll get pissed off enough to start my own company - I DO want to find some unity coders and make a space shooter that's kind of a ShatteredHorizon/Descent/FS2/TF2 hybrid thingee (design documents, storyline and art already well underway and I'm experienced in leading CG teams) but we'll see. Not sure how much of a market there'd be after how badly SH flopped. Would need to do some research.

47. The Studio Senior Member  #547
    Well, if you need any concept art for that game of yours Vijil... XD Aaagh if only I had the time.

Like both of you, I wanted nothing more than to be a concept artist in some game/movie company, but got shut out pretty quickly once I realized how ridiculously competitive it's become. I could probably be working in some capacity at a studio where I live in Washington state (there's tons of game studios in the Seattle area), if I had stuck with my plans to learn 3d and get in as a grunt somewhere.

But since then, mission work in Mexico has pretty much consumed my life--I don't really want anything I used to care about so much. I do want to keep painting, but just as a freelancer since that's something I can do from down here. Splitting my time between working with needy kids and illustration gigs is what I'm shooting for right now. The Lord's given me plenty of freelance work in the last year to live on.

Damn it guys, that was not something I needed to hear right now.

I have been watching quite a bit of Feng Zhu's videos lately, quite a cool guy, plus it's nice to see how many ways he works in and I like to think it's helping a bit in my way of thinking when approaching a piece. But other than that it really cooled me off of the concept artist idea for some reason, reading this from you folks is furthering that even more X(

That said, I think I'm actually okay with that, sure I won't be working as a concept artist but that doesn't stop me from doing concept art and art in general, just means I have to find another source of income, and with the current direction my education is heading I'm sure that won't be much of a problem ^_^

49. The Studio Senior Member  #549
    We didn't mean to discourage you (well, maybe Vijil did), but its best for you to understand how difficult an undertaking it is before getting too invested in the idea. It's good to hear that you'll have a more reliable source of income, and of course you can devote as much time beyond that to improving your skills. You have been getting noticeably better lately, but you still have a long way to go before being able to make a living off of art. I'm still not quite there yet--even though I've got a great set of clients to work with and have been working regularly, I've had to supplement that with roofing/tree pruning and other odd jobs.

There's only a handful of ways to break into concept art these days
    A. Be friends with the right person who can get you in
    B. Work as a 3d artist for years until you can sneak in to a 2d job
    C. Be one of the most talented artists in the entire world
    D. Start your own studio and do it yourself

This is the reality of things--there's just too many fish in the sea, too many kids who grew up playing video games or watching behind-the-scenes LOTR/Star Wars documentaries and fell in love with the idea of being creatively involved in the movies/games industries. The competition field is huge, though fortunately for all of us a great deal of those people lack the commitment and drive to pull it off. But there are those who give it all their attention, who don't fill their lives with video games/TV/relationships and work tirelessly to reach that skill level. Unfortunately, there's just enough of those people to fill up the concept artist jobs.

Mm. Maybe this should be split into another thread.

Balance is exactly right on the ABCDs. Part of the problem is timing. If I (or most of us) had been at out current level around 2000 or before we'd probably be in sweet jobs. Unfortunately for us the industry has gone bananas and now every second kid wants to work in games or movies. Not much we can do about that.

Part of me badly wants to just go hard and get good (do a FengZhu tut every day) and keep gunning for Weta, but the rational part of me knows that's probably a lost cause. Ack. Decisions. At the very least I want to get back into arting every day. Who's down to start our own DSG thread?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information